It's critic bingo! (Black Forest cake and tapenade)

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: It's critic bingo! "A magical infinity!"

#451 Post by John Morris » December 9th, 2018, 11:46 am

For sangiovese, Jeff? ;) neener
(Read Greg's post again.)
"I'm a Frisbeetarian. We worship frisbees. We believe when you die your soul goes up on the roof and you can't get it down." – Jim Stafford

"The Internet has resulted in an exponential increase in the number of instances in which humor must be explained." - me, 2019

Jeff Leve

#452 Post by Jeff Leve » December 9th, 2018, 11:55 am

John Morris wrote:
December 9th, 2018, 11:46 am
For sangiovese, Jeff? ;) neener
(Read Greg's post again.)
I know I am having one of my, slow, OK, slower days, but did I misread this?

"GregT wrote: ↑Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:26 pm
Everywhere else, like say, Bordeaux, Sangiovese is best in the cooler vintages."

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#453 Post by John Morris » December 9th, 2018, 12:02 pm

OK, I see there's sort of an ambiguity. But if you read it all in context, Greg's talking about sangiovese in Tuscany versus sangiovese in Bordeaux. He's joking!
GregT wrote:
December 9th, 2018, 11:26 am
She said that Sangiovese is better in cooler vintages. It's just when it's in Tuscany that it is better in the warm sunny vintages. Everywhere else, like say, Bordeaux, Sangiovese is best in the cooler vintages.
"I'm a Frisbeetarian. We worship frisbees. We believe when you die your soul goes up on the roof and you can't get it down." – Jim Stafford

"The Internet has resulted in an exponential increase in the number of instances in which humor must be explained." - me, 2019

Jim Brennan

Re: It's critic bingo! Dept. of Spacey Wines

#454 Post by Jim Brennan » December 9th, 2018, 1:03 pm

Jayson Cohen wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 7:09 pm
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 5:51 pm
John Morris wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 1:43 pm
[scratch.gif] [scratch.gif]

Johnny you left out the best stuff from the entire note!
There is a magical infinity, a continuous loop of compatibilities, between the icon wines of Tuscany and the 2015 vintage. The stunning 2015 Solaia is solid evidence of this perfect alignment. This was a warm vintage that shows less favorably in my opinion in different parts of Italy and with other grapes that render their most elegant performances in the cooler vintages. I would put pure expressions of Nebbiolo and Sangiovese in this category. However, Tuscany and many of her great blended reds (made partially or fully with international grapes) operate according to a different logic. To me, their maximum expression comes when you can taste that Tuscan sunshine beaming from within. Its rays are brilliant and warm. They shine across the senses with opulence and intensity. The very name Solaia evokes the concept of sunshine and this unique Tuscan wine archetype I am referring to. With the 2015 vintage, Solaia is liquid sunshine not just in name but also in fact. The bouquet is immediately soft and sensual with dark fruit, spice and sweet tobacco. The mouthfeel shows intensity and power, but you don't get any heavy residue from the dry extract (measured at 33 grams per liter). Indeed, the wine feels glossy, tonic and fresh. It is composed of mostly Cabernet Sauvignon with Sangiovese and a tiny part Cabernet Franc. There is a bit of crunch or snap that comes thanks to the more acidity-prone Sangiovese grape (the wine measures 3.5 in pH). Finally, the tannins are beautifully sweet and ripe. This wine is meticulously executed, and the 2015 vintage lives up to an ideal of what we imagine Solaia to be. It will be released about a week after this review is published.
Can someone explain how it’s Sangiovese that isn’t supposedly as good in warm vintages like 2015 but it’s also the Sangiovese that adds the freshness and acidity to the Solaia? That’s putting aside all the other sunshine in a bottle stuff.
Sounds like a some sort of deep learning program is being used to write tasting notes and was fed a bunch of B Grade literature and overly effusive tasting notes for training purposes.

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: It's critic bingo! Dept. of Spacey Wines

#455 Post by John Morris » December 9th, 2018, 1:30 pm

Jim Brennan wrote:
December 9th, 2018, 1:03 pm
Sounds like a some sort of deep learning program is being used to write tasting notes and was fed a bunch of B Grade literature and overly effusive tasting notes for training purposes.
A very insightful diagnosis.

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#456 Post by David Glasser » December 10th, 2018, 4:36 am

Magical infinities.
Sangiovese in Bordeaux.

I’m tasting in the wrong dimension.

Jim Brennan

#457 Post by Jim Brennan » December 10th, 2018, 4:40 am

Don't forget the real actual liquid sunshine.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#458 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » December 10th, 2018, 5:40 am

Jim Brennan wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 4:40 am
I read a critic’s note on a Pomerol recently that called it “liquid sex”. I need to find it and link it.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#459 Post by John Morris » December 10th, 2018, 6:45 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 5:40 am
I read a critic’s note on a Pomerol recently that called it “liquid sex”. I need to find it and link it.
A hackneyed wine cliche.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#460 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » December 10th, 2018, 6:51 am

John Morris wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 6:45 am
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
A hackneyed wine cliche.
Not sure I’ve seen another critic use that reference, but caught my eye for a 2018 note.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Jeff Vaughan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#461 Post by Jeff Vaughan » December 10th, 2018, 6:51 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
Jim Brennan wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 4:40 am
I read a critic’s note on a Pomerol recently that called it “liquid sex”. I need to find the wine and drink it.
FIFY [wink.gif]
CT: outplaying

Jeff Leve

#462 Post by Jeff Leve » December 10th, 2018, 7:10 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
Anybody I know ?🤔😁

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#463 Post by John Morris » December 10th, 2018, 7:30 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 6:51 am
John Morris wrote:
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
A hackneyed wine cliche.
Not sure I’ve seen another critic use that reference, but caught my eye for a 2018 note.
That phrase has been around a long time.

Liquid sex in a bottle 2009

Liquid sex (chocolate mead) 2009
Last edited by John Morris on December 10th, 2018, 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#464 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » December 10th, 2018, 7:31 am

Jeff Leve wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 7:10 am
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
Anybody I know ?🤔😁
Admission of guilt!!! I assumed it was you, but didn’t wanna call you out unless I had the note handy! Naughty boy!

And no, I didn’t buy the wine.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Jeff Leve

#465 Post by Jeff Leve » December 10th, 2018, 8:00 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 7:31 am
Jeff Leve wrote:
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
Anybody I know ?🤔😁
Admission of guilt!!! I assumed it was you, but didn’t wanna call you out unless I had the note handy! Naughty boy!

I am not sure how you search for phrases in tasting notes. It is not possible on my site as I cannot search dynamic content. But you are right, the wine is not for you. neener

Matthew King
GCC Member
GCC Member

#466 Post by Matthew King » December 10th, 2018, 8:16 am

John Morris wrote:
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
A hackneyed wine cliche.
Aren't all cliches by definition hackneyed? neener
"Please don't dominate the rap Jack if you've got nothing new to say." -- Robert Hunter

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#467 Post by John Morris » December 10th, 2018, 12:23 pm

Indeed, I guess you could say that "hackneyed cliche" is a hackneyed redundancy.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: It's critic bingo! Overripeness lost in translation?

#468 Post by Jay Miller » December 10th, 2018, 12:47 pm

Jörgen Lindström Carlvik wrote:
October 23rd, 2018, 5:51 am
Alan Rath wrote:
October 22nd, 2018, 7:40 pm
Here's one that I think fits John's criteria. I have no idea what "sparky ingredients" are. One of the more pitiful wine reviews I've seen:
Jancis Robinson
Rather subtle nose with lots of juice and sparky ingredients. Hint of cough medicine but lots besides. Should evolve into something quite special. 17+/20
I think that in many ways, she is the worst writer. Short, bland and impossible to understand UNLESS you 1) Have tasted the wine yourself, 2) Have a clear vision of the label.

Reading the above TN makes it impossible to understand whether it's red or white. Or even wine...
To me cough medicine implies red cherry fruit so it's a red wine. Sparky is British slang for bright and lively usually applied to people. Of course the only reason I know that is that I happened to read it in a novel some years ago but I assume it would be common knowledge for any Commonwealth folk.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#469 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » December 10th, 2018, 1:02 pm

Jeff Leve wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 8:00 am
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 7:31 am
Jeff Leve wrote:

Anybody I know ?🤔😁

I am not sure how you search for phrases in tasting notes. It is not possible on my site as I cannot search dynamic content. But you are right, the wine is not for you. neener
Are you calling your content, "dynamic"? neener

Kenny H (circa 2015)

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#470 Post by John Morris » December 10th, 2018, 1:31 pm

Alan Rath wrote:
Here's one that I think fits John's criteria. I have no idea what "sparky ingredients" are. One of the more pitiful wine reviews I've seen:
Jancis Robinson
Rather subtle nose with lots of juice and sparky ingredients. Hint of cough medicine but lots besides. Should evolve into something quite special. 17+/20
I forgot to ask back in October, Alan -- what was the wine?

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#471 Post by Alan Rath » December 10th, 2018, 2:26 pm

John, sorry, I don't remember now. Maybe someone with access to her site can search and find out.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Marcu$ Stanley

#472 Post by Marcu$ Stanley » December 10th, 2018, 2:59 pm

I like Jancis' notes because she writes like she's tipsy. Everybody elses' notes are super try-hard, like "how many pompous adjectives and weirdly abstruse fruit/mineral/wood references can I stuff in this paragraph?". Her notes are like, f*ck it, let me free associate here for a second or two. They're just like notes I jot down when I've drunk too much at a tasting -- or how those notes would read if I had gone to Oxford.

The other thing I like is that her scores are almost totally uncorrelated with other critics so you're getting an independent check instead of critic groupthink.

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#473 Post by John Morris » December 11th, 2018, 9:14 am

I think something went wrong with the automated note generator at Vinous.
2012 Domaine Philippe Charlopin Charmes Chambertin
Vinous 92-95
"Pungent, high-toned aromas of dark berries and red licorice; less musky and more floral than the foregoing samples. Intensely flavored and vibrant, showing excellent delineation and cut to the saline, soil-driven flavors of dark berries, spices and dried flowers. Here the wine's early sweetness is restrained by its saline quality and verve. Lay this down."-Antonio Galloni
I'm sorry, but what on earth does it mean to have "soil-driven" fruit, spice and floral flavors? It seems like a random meaningless phrase.

Jeff Leve

#474 Post by Jeff Leve » December 11th, 2018, 9:33 am

John Morris wrote:
December 11th, 2018, 9:14 am
I think something went wrong with the automated note generator at Vinous.
2012 Domaine Philippe Charlopin Charmes Chambertin
Vinous 92-95
"Pungent, high-toned aromas of dark berries and red licorice; less musky and more floral than the foregoing samples. Intensely flavored and vibrant, showing excellent delineation and cut to the saline, soil-driven flavors of dark berries, spices and dried flowers. Here the wine's early sweetness is restrained by its saline quality and verve. Lay this down."-Antonio Galloni
I'm sorry, but what on earth does it mean to have "soil-driven" fruit, spice and floral flavors? It seems like a random meaningless phrase.
You don't see soil-driven as earthy?

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#475 Post by John Morris » December 11th, 2018, 9:42 am

If he said "earthy," that would be fine. But "soil-driven" is an adjectival phrase modifying fruit, spice and floral qualities. At worst, it's incoherent; at best it's really, really bad writing. It's just words thrown on a page.

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#476 Post by Charlie Carnes » December 11th, 2018, 9:54 am

I saw this commercial and thought instantly of this thread. I'll delete it if it doesn't belong here.

Sour cream...

https://dailycommercials.com/bud-light-one-sip/
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#477 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » December 11th, 2018, 10:06 am

Charlie Carnes wrote:
December 11th, 2018, 9:54 am
I saw this commercial and thought instantly of this thread. I'll delete it if it doesn't belong here.

Sour cream...

Haha, that is awesome! So who is Lord Pomplemouss? Yea, I had no clue how to spell that and all my associates are at freaking lunch. I guess only partners work.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#478 Post by John Morris » December 11th, 2018, 11:01 am

Charlie Carnes wrote:
December 11th, 2018, 9:54 am

Sour cream...

Great! I'd only seen a shorter, alternative version without the cellar banishment.

("Doesn't belong here"? I'm not familiar with that concept. Not in the WB lexicon.)

Jörgen Lindström Carlvik
GCC Member
GCC Member

#479 Post by Jörgen Lindström Carlvik » December 13th, 2018, 1:20 pm

Jay Miller wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 12:47 pm
October 23rd, 2018, 5:51 am
Alan Rath wrote:

I think that in many ways, she is the worst writer. Short, bland and impossible to understand UNLESS you 1) Have tasted the wine yourself, 2) Have a clear vision of the label.

Reading the above TN makes it impossible to understand whether it's red or white. Or even wine...
To me cough medicine implies red cherry fruit so it's a red wine. Sparky is British slang for bright and lively usually applied to people. Of course the only reason I know that is that I happened to read it in a novel some years ago but I assume it would be common knowledge for any Commonwealth folk.
Well, to me cough medicine does not relate to any wine I'm familiar with. Should I find similar notes I'd say bordering defective. Furthermore Sweden (where I live) was never a part of the Commonwealth of Nations, so that's probably the reason that I've never understood her vague tasting notes.
ITB. www.brixwine.se

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#480 Post by John Morris » December 24th, 2018, 1:13 pm

December 13th, 2018, 1:20 pm
Jay Miller wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 12:47 pm
Well, to me cough medicine does not relate to any wine I'm familiar with. Should I find similar notes I'd say bordering defective. Furthermore Sweden (where I live) was never a part of the Commonwealth of Nations, so that's probably the reason that I've never understood her vague tasting notes.
Cough medicine/candied fruit flavors are quite common in a lot of New World wines, particular pinot noirs. Also in cheap cabernets and syrahs.

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#481 Post by John Morris » December 24th, 2018, 1:16 pm

Here's a fun pair of tasting notes from 2015. Note that there is only one specific flavor/aroma descriptor they have in common: violets.
2010 Costanti Brunello di Montalcino
97 Points, Antonio Galloni, Vinous: “Costanti's 2010 Brunello di Montalcino is stunning. Dark, powerful and mysterious in the glass, the 2010 captivates all the senses with its breathtaking beauty and layered, multi-dimensional personality. Lavender, violets, savory herbs, smoke, plums and graphite flow through to the rich, explosive finish. There is a prism-like sense of transparency allied to pure power in the 2010 that is impossible miss. Readers who can find the 2010 should not hesitate; it is a must-have. While many 2010s are approachable today, the Costanti's 2010 is not; it is a wine for the cellar. "

96 Points, Kerin O'Keefe, Wine Enthusiast: [Cellar Selection] "Aromas of menthol, leather, pressed violet, forest floor and woodland berry lead off this intense Brunello. The firm, delicious palate offers dried red cherry, crushed raspberry, ground white pepper and licorice alongside a backbone of assertive but fine-grained tannins and racy acidity. It's impeccably balanced and elegant but still young, so give it time to develop to its full potential. Drink 2020-2035"

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#482 Post by John Morris » January 23rd, 2019, 6:31 am

It seems that we are not the only ones questioning critics' notes. (Salmon is a financial writer with Axios, formerly with Reuters.)
Attachments
F Salmon tweet.jpg
F Salmon tweet responses.JPG

GregT

#483 Post by GregT » January 23rd, 2019, 8:13 am

I do believe he's saying that the palate is deceived in the palate. [scratch.gif]

I like the second response though - type "in the palate" and let autocorrect finish your tasting note! That guy knows something.
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#484 Post by John Morris » January 23rd, 2019, 9:00 am

Redundancy seems to be in vogue. Hence, this wine with vibrant vibrancy!
The 2016 Larcis Ducasse is absolutely gorgeous. Fresh, vibrant and alluring, with tremendous vibrancy, the 2016 has so much to offer. Expressive savory and blood orange notes add brightness to the red cherry and plum fruit, with beams of firm yet well-integrated tannins that give the wine its shape and energy. In 2016, Larcis brings together undeniable raciness and power in a complete package that is irresistibly beautiful. Give it a few years in bottle for the tannins to soften. (AG) (1/2019)
(What would a Galloni note be without "beams of tannin"?)

William Kelley

#485 Post by William Kelley » January 23rd, 2019, 9:08 am

John Morris wrote:
January 23rd, 2019, 6:31 am
It seems that we are not the only ones questioning critics' notes. (Salmon is a financial writer with Axios, formerly with Reuters.)
This would appear to be simply a case of French notes being translated into English and not really working: https://www.sherry-lehmann.com/red-wine ... iotte-2014

In general, tasting notes translate poorly. My French friends all tend to translate "robe", effectively a somewhat flamboyant but conventional way of describing the wine's hue and saturation, as "dress", and often don't believe me when I tell them it just doesn't work.
The Wine Advocate

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#486 Post by John Morris » January 23rd, 2019, 9:26 am

William Kelley wrote:
January 23rd, 2019, 9:08 am
John Morris wrote:
January 23rd, 2019, 6:31 am
This would appear to be simply a case of French notes being translated into English and not really working: https://www.sherry-lehmann.com/red-wine ... iotte-2014

In general, tasting notes translate poorly. My French friends all tend to translate "robe", effectively a somewhat flamboyant but conventional way of describing the wine's hue and saturation, as "dress", and often don't believe me when I tell them it just doesn't work.
Hmm. I'm trying to imagine a wine in a little scarlet dress....

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#487 Post by John Morris » January 23rd, 2019, 9:34 am

I was away from my keyboard for a few days last week and am only now catching up on the messages I have received from various lurkers and gnomes forwarding Vinous reviews of the 2016 Bordeaux.

Viewed collectively, one can see in this vintage of notes a common thread of very heavy breathing (huffing and puffing? dare I say, panting?) with its signature strings of vacuous superlatives. That’s combined with those hallmark beams of repetition. On the finish, there are persistent nuances of shelf-talker pandering. What can I say, I feel weak at the knees. It’s as simple as that!
Pavie Macquin 2016
"The 2016 Pavie Macquin is a total stunner. Rich, lush and inviting, the 2016 is a drop-dead gorgeous beauty. Sweet red cherry, plum, rose petal, lavender and mint are all given an extra kick of allure by silky tannins that caress the palate from start to finish. There is a level of precision and nuance here that is simply breathtaking. The purity of the fruit is just mind-boggling". Antonio Galloni 98

Rauzan Segla 2016
"The 2016 Rauzan-Ségla is simply stunning. Ample and generous in the glass, the 2016 is a positively stellar wine that will leave readers weak at the knees. The flavors and textures are generous as this sublime Margaux shows off its alluring personality. Sweet red cherry, plum, pomegranate, blood orange, spice and rose petal are some of the many notes that run through this absolutely exquisite wine. The 2016 is just as impressive from bottle as it was from barrel, maybe even more! Tasted three times" Antonio 97+

2016 Chateau Pichon Lalande
The 2016 Pichon-Longueville Comtesse de Lalande is every bit as regal as it has always been. Towering and spectacularly rich in the glass, the 2016 captures every ounce of potential is showed from barrel. The 2016 is a vivid, dramatically sweeping wine that will leave readers weak at the knees. Beams of tannin give the 2016 soaring intensity that is matched by a host of aromas and flavors that open up in the glass. Blackberry jam, graphite, spice, menthol, licorice, pencil shavings and spice are all finely sketched in a bold, savory Pauillac that hits all the right notes. The 2016 Pichon Comtesse has been riveting on each of the four occasions I have tasted it from barrel thus far, making it easily one of the wines of the vintage. Nicolas Glumineu and his team turned out an epic Pichon Comtesse in 2016. Don't miss it!
100 points Antonio Galloni- Vinous
Last edited by John Morris on January 23rd, 2019, 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#488 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » January 23rd, 2019, 9:39 am

John -

You have a towering gift of prose, such scintillatingly descriptive use of flowery language, leaves me beaming with pleasure!

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#489 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » January 24th, 2019, 1:05 pm

Dang this sounds so awesome, except that, what exactly does it taste like?
Antonio Galloni, Vinous Media: "The 2015 Le Pergole Torte is explosive and powerful while showing a remarkable level of precision. Pliant and beautifully resonant, it captures all the best qualities of the year. The oak still needs time to fully assimilate. Even so, the wine's pedigree and potential are very much in evidence today. In a word: superb."
In a word: worthless. The note, that is.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#490 Post by John Morris » February 3rd, 2019, 8:02 pm

2016 Fuligni Rosso di Montalcino
"This shows a distinctive and lifted candied tangerine edge, as well as blueberry peel and sour cherries. The palate's very tight with edgy acidity, showing firm tannins and a bright finish. Not the richest of wines, but very endearing."-James Suckling
Blueberry peel?!

Jim Brennan

#491 Post by Jim Brennan » February 3rd, 2019, 8:10 pm

Nothing like the taste of pedigree!

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#492 Post by John Morris » February 3rd, 2019, 8:16 pm

I guess Suckling peels his blueberries.

GregT

#493 Post by GregT » February 3rd, 2019, 8:48 pm

Blueberry peel is brilliant. I've never encountered that one. Hilarious.
like Jancis' notes because she writes like she's tipsy. . . Her notes are like, f*ck it, let me free associate here for a second or two. They're just like notes I jot down when I've drunk too much at a tasting -- or how those notes would read if I had gone to Oxford.

The other thing I like is that her scores are almost totally uncorrelated with other critics. . .
See "she writes like she's tipsy".

But it's a good point Marcus and may well be true. You could usually tell when Bob was PWI too.

And I kind of like "sparky ingredients" whatever those may be and wherever they're found.
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

jcoley3

#494 Post by jcoley3 » February 3rd, 2019, 9:01 pm

John Morris wrote:
February 3rd, 2019, 8:16 pm
I guess Suckling peels his blueberries.
Oh, come on. Someone handles that for him.
Jim Coley ITB

"So I say, like Ortega y Gasset, that when a lot of people agree on something, it's either a stupid idea or a beautiful woman." - Alvaro Mutis

"You could spend a lot more money, and not get a better Burgundy...” - Carlo Rossi

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#495 Post by Craig G » February 3rd, 2019, 9:32 pm

John Morris wrote:
December 9th, 2018, 12:02 pm
OK, I see there's sort of an ambiguity. But if you read it all in context, Greg's talking about sangiovese in Tuscany versus sangiovese in Bordeaux. He's joking!
GregT wrote:
December 9th, 2018, 11:26 am
She said that Sangiovese is better in cooler vintages. It's just when it's in Tuscany that it is better in the warm sunny vintages. Everywhere else, like say, Bordeaux, Sangiovese is best in the cooler vintages.
I realize I’m late here, but I want to remind you not to explain jokes. Please just berate the people who didn’t understand them.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#496 Post by John Morris » February 4th, 2019, 6:19 am

Point well taken.

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#497 Post by Charlie Carnes » February 4th, 2019, 6:38 am

Jim Brennan wrote:
February 3rd, 2019, 8:10 pm
Nothing like the taste of pedigree!

https://www.pedigree.com/?gclsrc=aw.ds&#
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

Marcu$ Stanley

#498 Post by Marcu$ Stanley » February 4th, 2019, 5:49 pm

John Morris wrote:
January 23rd, 2019, 9:34 am
I was away from my keyboard for a few days last week and am only now catching up on the messages I have received from various lurkers and gnomes forwarding Vinous reviews of the 2016 Bordeaux.

Viewed collectively, one can see in this vintage of notes a common thread of very heavy breathing (huffing and puffing? dare I say, panting?) with its signature strings of vacuous superlatives. That’s combined with those hallmark beams of repetition. On the finish, there are persistent nuances of shelf-talker pandering. What can I say, I feel weak at the knees. It’s as simple as that!
Pavie Macquin 2016
"The 2016 Pavie Macquin is a total stunner. Rich, lush and inviting, the 2016 is a drop-dead gorgeous beauty. Sweet red cherry, plum, rose petal, lavender and mint are all given an extra kick of allure by silky tannins that caress the palate from start to finish. There is a level of precision and nuance here that is simply breathtaking. The purity of the fruit is just mind-boggling". Antonio Galloni 98

Rauzan Segla 2016
"The 2016 Rauzan-Ségla is simply stunning. Ample and generous in the glass, the 2016 is a positively stellar wine that will leave readers weak at the knees. The flavors and textures are generous as this sublime Margaux shows off its alluring personality. Sweet red cherry, plum, pomegranate, blood orange, spice and rose petal are some of the many notes that run through this absolutely exquisite wine. The 2016 is just as impressive from bottle as it was from barrel, maybe even more! Tasted three times" Antonio 97+

2016 Chateau Pichon Lalande
The 2016 Pichon-Longueville Comtesse de Lalande is every bit as regal as it has always been. Towering and spectacularly rich in the glass, the 2016 captures every ounce of potential is showed from barrel. The 2016 is a vivid, dramatically sweeping wine that will leave readers weak at the knees. Beams of tannin give the 2016 soaring intensity that is matched by a host of aromas and flavors that open up in the glass. Blackberry jam, graphite, spice, menthol, licorice, pencil shavings and spice are all finely sketched in a bold, savory Pauillac that hits all the right notes. The 2016 Pichon Comtesse has been riveting on each of the four occasions I have tasted it from barrel thus far, making it easily one of the wines of the vintage. Nicolas Glumineu and his team turned out an epic Pichon Comtesse in 2016. Don't miss it!
100 points Antonio Galloni- Vinous
I have to say, those notes read like flat-out malarkey and carry a distinct whiff of the charlatan.

It would be better to just be like "I liked this one a whole whole lot YUM YUM YUM 98 points" and have done with it. The slathered-on adjectives carry zero real informational content.

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#499 Post by John Morris » February 25th, 2019, 3:48 pm

I have to say, this note reads nicely, assuming one can reconcile the wine being "packed with fruit" yet the fruit is "content to wait for now" (I think I get that, actually).
2010 Ch Providence Pomerol
"This is packed with fruit, but maintains a restrained feel overall, as the core of plum, blackberry and black currant seems content to wait for now. Richly layered, displaying seamless graphite and black tea notes that frame the finish, with a lovely tug of loam echoing on the very end. An impressive combination of density and polished poise."-James Molesworth
But I'm baffled by what the "echo" of a "tug of loam" is like. Is that a taste or a sound?

Karl K

#500 Post by Karl K » February 25th, 2019, 3:58 pm

Easy way to find out: pop a bottle!

🙂
K a z a k s

Return to “Wine Talk”