It's critic bingo! (Dept. of Neologisms)

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
User avatar
Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 21250
Joined: April 24th, 2009, 12:45 am
Location: Bay Area, CA. Sometimes out to lunch.

Re: It's critic bingo! (Dept. of Neologisms)

#1201 Post by Alan Rath » September 16th, 2020, 6:13 pm

Keith Levenberg wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 3:37 pm
By the way, for those playing along at home, "closing shades of nuance" gets its own square on the bingo card, separate from the unmodified nuance.
99 Points, Antonio Galloni, Vinous: “Like Tignanello, the 2016 Solaia is a wine of extraordinary nuance and finesse. Super-ripe blackberry, plum jam, espresso, menthol, licorice and sweet spice build as the sublime 2016 shows off its personality and breeding. The 2016 somehow manages to be incredibly deep and also light on its feet. Sweet floral and spice notes add the closing shades of nuance to an exotic, beguilingly beautiful Solaia endowed with an eternal finish and mind-blowing beauty. The 2016 is an epic Solaia. That's all there is to it.” 08/19
Antonio Galloni 96 points! "The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon is elegant, plush and silky, like the 2012, but with a little more of everything. Dark cherry, plum, licorice, leather and espresso are all nicely lifted by the natural freshness of the year. At present, the 2016 is a bit shy, but it undoubtedly has a very bright future. Floral, perfumed notes add the closing shades of nuance. Spottswoode's Cabernet is quite gracious in 2016, not to mention incredibly delicious."
Antonio Galloni, Vinous Media: "The 2013 Barbaresco Pajè will leave readers weak at the knees with its stunning aromatics. Spicebox, cedar, tobacco, licorice and menthol speak to the essence of Pajè. A wine of depth and pedigree, the 2013 has a lot to offer. Orange peel, cinnamon, rose petal and mint add the closing shades of nuance in a deceptively medium-bodied Barbaresco that has plenty of backing structure and tannic clout to age well for many years to come."
Tasted from magnum, the 1996 Barolo is absolutely stunning. Vibrant and wonderfully alive, the 1996 exudes class. Time has gently softened the 1996 tannins, rendering the 1996 super-expressive today. Balsamic, mentholated notes, along with scents of tobacco and dried stone fruit continue to open up with time in the glass. The 1996 is still firm and quite powerful, but not as austere as many wines are in this vintage. Tar, licorice and scorched earth add the closing shades of nuance in an impeccably balanced, vivid Barolo that captures the personality of the vintage at its best.
A classic Stags Leap Cabernet, the 2014 exudes richness, power and depth. Graphite, crème de cassis, lavender, violets, chocolate and sweet spices infuse this beautifully expressive, sculpted Cabernet Sauvignon. Chocolate, inky black fruits and a dollop of new oak add the closing shades of nuance. The tannins need time to siften, but there is plenty to look forward to. The 2014 is gorgeous. It’s as simple as that. – Antonio Galloni, Oct. 2016
Ridge's 2013 Zinfandel Paso Robles, from the Benito Dusi Ranch, exudes Paso warmth and richness. Unquestionably racy and overt, the 2013 offers striking depth and intensity, with a slightly roasted, sweet quality to the fruit. Sweet tobacco, cedar and dried herbs add closing shades of nuance, but the 2013 remains quite opulent in style. Still, all the elements are in the right place. The 2013 could use a few years to soften. It will be appreciated most by readers who enjoy intense, super-ripe Zinfandels. - Antonio Galloni, Vinous Media
This has me worried “shades of nuance” is some kind of code to wake up a dormant sleeper cell.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

User avatar
John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18064
Joined: June 21st, 2009, 2:09 pm
Location: Gotham

Re: It's critic bingo! (Dept. of Neologisms)

#1202 Post by John Morris » September 16th, 2020, 6:22 pm

Judging by the repetition, it looks like they’ve slept the alarm.
"But they told me there would be a hand basket."

"I'm not slurring my words. I'm speaking cursive."

User avatar
Leonard Maran
Posts: 1142
Joined: August 26th, 2009, 1:13 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: It's critic bingo! (Dept. of Neologisms)

#1203 Post by Leonard Maran » September 16th, 2020, 9:57 pm

In another thread a negotiant throws around phrases like "uber pure", "just a bit of air it turns cologne-like", "sexy red and black fruit", "a resplendent finish", "kiss of brett, leather upholstery", "mysterious deep and savory tones", "nutmeg and brown sugar, blackberry syrup". Of course, this is mailing list only (a hallmark of this site), so it matters not that you do not know what you are buying.
Last edited by Leonard Maran on September 16th, 2020, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Leonard Maran
Posts: 1142
Joined: August 26th, 2009, 1:13 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: It's critic bingo! (Dept. of Neologisms)

#1204 Post by Leonard Maran » September 16th, 2020, 10:02 pm

My palate aligns with Galloni and I don't care about his prose. Actually, aside from Charlie Olken (California), he's the only critic I do trust for wines from California and Italy.

User avatar
John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18064
Joined: June 21st, 2009, 2:09 pm
Location: Gotham

Re: It's critic bingo! (Dept. of Neologisms)

#1205 Post by John Morris » September 20th, 2020, 10:27 am

We've discussed "vertical" as a descriptor before. In most cases, I don't have a clue what the critic means when he/she uses it. As William Kelley said many pages back, it seemed once to be in contrast to a wine that is broad or expansive, and the French use the equivalent to refer to a wine with a good spine of acid. But what on earth does it mean here, both "dense and vertical"?
2015 Bruno Giacosa - Barolo - Falletto
"Superb aromas of ripe fruit, such as plums and berries with peaches and tar. Very intense. Full body, great depth and density. Incredible richness and power with superb length and persistence. One of the most dense and vertical Falletos I have tasted."-James Suckling, 95 points
(Peach scents in a Barolo?!?)
"But they told me there would be a hand basket."

"I'm not slurring my words. I'm speaking cursive."

K.C0LBURN
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 17
Joined: September 3rd, 2020, 7:08 am

Re: It's critic bingo! (Dept. of Neologisms)

#1206 Post by K.C0LBURN » September 20th, 2020, 11:56 am

John Morris wrote:
September 20th, 2020, 10:27 am
We've discussed "vertical" as a descriptor before. In most cases, I don't have a clue what the critic means when he/she uses it. As William Kelley said many pages back, it seemed once to be in contrast to a wine that is broad or expansive, and the French use the equivalent to refer to a wine with a good spine of acid. But what on earth does it mean here, both "dense and vertical"?
2015 Bruno Giacosa - Barolo - Falletto
"Superb aromas of ripe fruit, such as plums and berries with peaches and tar. Very intense. Full body, great depth and density. Incredible richness and power with superb length and persistence. One of the most dense and vertical Falletos I have tasted."-James Suckling, 95 points
(Peach scents in a Barolo?!?)
(You do have to wonder, don't you?)
K A T H E R I N E

User avatar
RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1734
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 10:41 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: It's critic bingo! (Dept. of Neologisms)

#1207 Post by RichardFlack » September 20th, 2020, 12:52 pm

Alan Rath wrote:
September 16th, 2020, 6:13 pm
Keith Levenberg wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 3:37 pm
By the way, for those playing along at home, "closing shades of nuance" gets its own square on the bingo card, separate from the unmodified nuance.
99 Points, Antonio Galloni, Vinous: “Like Tignanello, the 2016 Solaia is a wine of extraordinary nuance and finesse. Super-ripe blackberry, plum jam, espresso, menthol, licorice and sweet spice build as the sublime 2016 shows off its personality and breeding. The 2016 somehow manages to be incredibly deep and also light on its feet. Sweet floral and spice notes add the closing shades of nuance to an exotic, beguilingly beautiful Solaia endowed with an eternal finish and mind-blowing beauty. The 2016 is an epic Solaia. That's all there is to it.” 08/19
Antonio Galloni 96 points! "The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon is elegant, plush and silky, like the 2012, but with a little more of everything. Dark cherry, plum, licorice, leather and espresso are all nicely lifted by the natural freshness of the year. At present, the 2016 is a bit shy, but it undoubtedly has a very bright future. Floral, perfumed notes add the closing shades of nuance. Spottswoode's Cabernet is quite gracious in 2016, not to mention incredibly delicious."
Antonio Galloni, Vinous Media: "The 2013 Barbaresco Pajè will leave readers weak at the knees with its stunning aromatics. Spicebox, cedar, tobacco, licorice and menthol speak to the essence of Pajè. A wine of depth and pedigree, the 2013 has a lot to offer. Orange peel, cinnamon, rose petal and mint add the closing shades of nuance in a deceptively medium-bodied Barbaresco that has plenty of backing structure and tannic clout to age well for many years to come."
Tasted from magnum, the 1996 Barolo is absolutely stunning. Vibrant and wonderfully alive, the 1996 exudes class. Time has gently softened the 1996 tannins, rendering the 1996 super-expressive today. Balsamic, mentholated notes, along with scents of tobacco and dried stone fruit continue to open up with time in the glass. The 1996 is still firm and quite powerful, but not as austere as many wines are in this vintage. Tar, licorice and scorched earth add the closing shades of nuance in an impeccably balanced, vivid Barolo that captures the personality of the vintage at its best.
A classic Stags Leap Cabernet, the 2014 exudes richness, power and depth. Graphite, crème de cassis, lavender, violets, chocolate and sweet spices infuse this beautifully expressive, sculpted Cabernet Sauvignon. Chocolate, inky black fruits and a dollop of new oak add the closing shades of nuance. The tannins need time to siften, but there is plenty to look forward to. The 2014 is gorgeous. It’s as simple as that. – Antonio Galloni, Oct. 2016
Ridge's 2013 Zinfandel Paso Robles, from the Benito Dusi Ranch, exudes Paso warmth and richness. Unquestionably racy and overt, the 2013 offers striking depth and intensity, with a slightly roasted, sweet quality to the fruit. Sweet tobacco, cedar and dried herbs add closing shades of nuance, but the 2013 remains quite opulent in style. Still, all the elements are in the right place. The 2013 could use a few years to soften. It will be appreciated most by readers who enjoy intense, super-ripe Zinfandels. - Antonio Galloni, Vinous Media
This has me worried “shades of nuance” is some kind of code to wake up a dormant sleeper cell.
I think he just means “finishing touch”. But this is a great game.

User avatar
RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1734
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 10:41 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: It's critic bingo! (Dept. of Neologisms)

#1208 Post by RichardFlack » September 20th, 2020, 12:53 pm

Leonard Maran wrote:
September 16th, 2020, 9:57 pm
In another thread a negotiant throws around phrases like "uber pure", "just a bit of air it turns cologne-like", "sexy red and black fruit", "a resplendent finish", "kiss of brett, leather upholstery", "mysterious deep and savory tones", "nutmeg and brown sugar, blackberry syrup". Of course, this is mailing list only (a hallmark of this site), so it matters not that you do not know what you are buying.
“Kiss of Brett , leather upholstery “ sounds like quite the fetish.

User avatar
John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18064
Joined: June 21st, 2009, 2:09 pm
Location: Gotham

Re: It's critic bingo! (Dept. of Neologisms)

#1209 Post by John Morris » September 23rd, 2020, 11:32 am

So which is it? First it's "ample, creamy and expansive," then it's not as "rich and powerful" as normal and instead is fresh, finessed and tranluscent -- all implying that it's not so ample and expansive.
2016 Sandrone Barolo Aleste

"The 2016 Barolo Aleste is ample, creamy and expansive in feel. But more than that, the 2016 stands out for its freshness, persistence and brilliance. In so many vintages, the Aleste (formerly known as Cannubi Boschis) has been rich and powerful in feel, but in 2016, the wine is all about finesse. The red-fruited, floral purity of Nebbiolo comes through beautifully here; I especially admire the wine’s translucence. Wow." --Antonio Galloni, Vinous 98
"But they told me there would be a hand basket."

"I'm not slurring my words. I'm speaking cursive."

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”