Wines I Stopped Buying, But Shouldn't Have

Maybe I drank them too early or my tastes have changed. I stopped buying Rhys and Lillian a few years back for various reasons. Financial as well I just wasn’t getting the enjoyment from them I hoped for. Well was I wrong! Over the last few weeks I opened a 2008 Lillian and various 2008 Rhys vineyards. All of these were drinking spectacularly. Now I wish I had been buying more through the years as well as held them longer!

Ah well, live and learn.

I stopped buying Rougeard years ago because I thought “who would pay 50-bucks for a Loire wine”! blush

Interesting/good news to hear the '08 Rhys wines are starting to drink well.

Stopped buying Peter Michael Les Pavots. Then drank my last one and will buy selectively going forward.

I skipped my last Saxum allocation *ducks and hides

I’ve bought a LOT more Saxum than I’ve drank, so I may come to regret dropping out down the road.

Opened a 2008 Bearwallow last night and it was drinking very well!

I opened a 2009 Bearwallow a couple months ago that was hitting on all cylinders. I’ve got about 40 Rhys PN pre 2009’s that I need to start digging into…

+1 on both, but I have re-upped on some Rhys.

I had a bad bottle of Lillian right after it was first released and I dropped it right away, but every bottle I have had since was excellent. Also Williams Selyem, which needs more time than I was willing to give some early bottles.

Dropped Williams Selyem after the 1996 vintage because of price. Regretted ever since as the Allen bottling was one of the best pinots.

Dropped both Rhys and Saxum because of the escalating prices. Sad to not have these going forward, but happy to avoid the guilt that comes when I actually drink $$$ bottles of wine. Luckily, there are many, less expensive, but equally amazing wines avaiable. I’ll just make due with St. Innocent, Patricia Green and Tablas Creek.

I got distracted and forgot to buy Northern Rhones for about 15 years. Oops. Only started back up in 2009 and 2010.

And I forgot to buy Dom. Tempier for about 25 years. Duuuuh!

Joseph Swan

Jamet… I stopped when it hit $60, thought that was too expensive, looks like a steal at the current $125+ price tag…

Quite difficult to think of any, but then I’ve never been on any mailing lists, nor do I have regrets about not buying a wine I thought too expensive back then, that is now way more expensive.

There are a few absent from the cellar that really shouldn’t be, such as Te Mata Elston and Vino Nobile di Montepulciano (I really enjoy these but there are always other wines that seem to jump into the basket instead). I know I should rectify this.

No regrets!

Yellowtail . I’d have a lot more money.

Alban…got on the list 15 years ago and had to drop off for financial reasons.

Hate to open this can of worms but I wish I hadn’t stopped buying Larkmead before the price went nutso.
Domestic Jason23 type deal.

Surprisingly enough, Flora Springs. Drinking the '05 Rennie Reserve and its singing. The best cab I’ve drank this year and I’ve drank a lot of top notch cabs.