When should I drink my 1998 Soldera Brunello to maximize its aging potential?

Wrong answers include, “the next time I’m in New York” and “I don’t know. Send it to me and I will open it and tell you.”

newhere

When the Jets win the Super Bowl.

I don’t have first-hand experience with Soldera and have not had any 1998 Brunelli that I can recall, so am generalizing to Brunello at this age from a middling vintage. Personally, I’ve never had that transcendent experience with aged Brunello. They mellow out and slowly go from fruit to tertiary character. I like the fruit expression better than the leathery/dusty/leafy notes, so like to have them within 25 years of the vintage. The '90s I’ve had lately have all been harmonious and, for my tastes, beginning to decline. I’m in no rush to drink what’s left of the stash, but without exception I’ve thought that all recent bottles were less stellar than ones from a few years back. If it were my bottle, I’d put it on deck. The conditions seem favorable to being at or past peak, not before it.

fred

FWIW, about 2 years ago a 1999 was shut down hard and I decided not to touch another for at least 5 years. It had been wide open about 3 years before that.

“The next LBTG dinner you host” was another wrong answer.

I think the only correct answer is “never.” That’s the only way to maximize its age.

neener

I think whenever you drink it, that will terminate its aging potential.

I’ve got a fair bit of experience with Soldera (according to CT i’ve enjoyed 47 bottles just from my own cellar) but the 1998 is the odd man out as I’ve never tried it. Based on my general impression of the 1998 vintage in Montalcino I would say that with proper aiering this wine should be drinking well now and at least another ten years. I doubt it will improve much though

I opened a 1999 at one of my dinners. I don’t think you made it to that one though. Showed very well then.

We had a horribly oxidized 1998 Soldera Magnum in 2013(?) I hope it was an outlier.

Cheers,
Bill

you have Soldera?
and you gave us that Syrah crap?

The guy is a legend- we met him in Italy.

What is LBTG?

BOOM!

Final answer. [cheers.gif]

Leo’s blind tasting group.

That “Syrah crap” was a delicious Saxum for your wife - she said she liked syrah so I thought I should bring a good one to make up for the tasteless stuff she gets from you.

Thank you. I was wondering why he messed up the usual order of LGBT, though I applauded the concept whatever the order of letters.

The first time someone got tired of typing out Leo’s Blind Tasting Group each time and used the abbreviation I tried to find a way to fit a Q in there. But my suggestion of Leo’s Blind Quality Tasting Group never took off.

[cheers.gif]

Chivalry sucks- you should have asked me what I like.

Soldera was a tough read. Most people at this party were afraid of him and stayed away. Apparently he is the Wikileaks of Tuscany, but most of the locals do not think that is why they sabotaged his wines.
When y’a coming to Santa Rita Hills?

Jay - given your palate I think it would be fine to open now. However another 5 years or more will not hurt it, I just had a 93 that was in a perfect spot.