Nebbiolo daily drinkers?

For the last 2 years or so, I’ve been drinking southern rhones as my daily drinkers. I think I need some variety. Every time I try a nebbiolo, I like it. It got me wondering if there are any decent lower end nebbiolo that I should be trying? Ideally <$20 but I feel like in the past I had difficulty coming up with something good at that price point.
Any suggestions are appreciated

1 Like

I can’t help under $20. For a few more dollars, I like Vietti Langhe Perbacco.

Edited: Actually this is right at $20 near me.

Really depends on producer, but a few friendly ones might include the Produttori di Barbaresco Nebbiolo, Mauro Molino, Damilano, and Lo Scudiero, which is Nebbiolo d’Alba rather than Langhe but is full of sour cherry fruit. You may also want to look to Valtellina, Gattinara, and Ghemme, probably in that order, to find other Nebbiolo-based wines.

And don’t overlook Barbera and the wines of Tuscany, which can also be really nice while also inexpensive.

But there’s a lot in the south of France so you may want to keep exploring there.

The one I’ve drunk the most is the Produttori Langhe. Depending on your location, it’s slightly under or a few dollars over $20. Depending on the vintage, I’ve liked the Langhe Nebbiolo wines from Germano Angelo and GB Burlotto. Vallana Spanna (may have other grapes in the blend depending on the bottling) and Gattinara are also generally good in that general price range (the Gattinara is a bit more). There are also interesting nebbiolo wines from the Valtellina, but the ones I regularly see are somewhat more expensive.

-Al

1 Like

Definitely an area to sample and find one that works for you (not necessarily us, or what’s available near us). A local merchant has a great 2011 Nebbiolo d’Alba from a Barbaresco producer, well within your price target, but I doubt it would be available near you.

In times gone by I used to find many basic nebbiolo wines pretty average, but have had much better success recently

Vajra Langhe rosso or Langhe Nebbiolo

For a change, you may want to try american Nebbiolos. Especially if you like the rhone fruit.
Barboursville in VA makes an solid one at under $30,
Castelli makes a really nice one at under $20, and
Harrington Nebbiolo at under $30

Cantalupo, a good producer of Ghemme, makes an Colline Novarese (= hills of Novara) called “Agamium” that’s predominantly nebbiolo. It sells for $15 or less and is stunning value. The 2009 is just delicious. A 2011 or 2012 I tried recently was a little less fruity, but still very good. Not sure if that’s vintage character or just the fact that it’s younger. There has been a fair deal of the 2009 on the market around NY over the past six months.

A footnote on appellations: Nebbiolo d’Alba is a very tiny zone around Alba, in between but not including Barolo or Barbaresco. The second wines from vineyards in the Barolo and Barbaresco must be labeled as Langhe Nebbiolo. That appellation sounds much more generic, and it does extend to the Roero, on the other side of the Tanaro River, but in many cases the fruit comes from better sites than Nebbiolo d’Alba.

Castelli is definitely worth looking into.

Vajra
Produttori Langhe
Of all the things I’d be unlikely to look for US rendition of, Nebbiolo value wine is high on the list.

Under twenty?

You’re going to have to leave your nebbiolo longings unsatisfied, but you can easily find dolcetto, friesa, barbera (other red varieties grown alongside nebbiolo) from the Piedmont for that price. And who knows? You might even like them as much as cheap nebbiolo!

I beg to differ. Have you tried any of the under-$20 suggestions above?

Can’t recall the price of this, but it’s not expensive and dangerously drinkable.

2012 Silvio Giamello Barbaresco Vicenziana

Sipping on a 2013 Vajra Nebbiolo as I type. Sourced locally in Chicago for $21, and it’s all I want and more. Bright cherry and floral aromas … juicy cherry fruit with subtle complexity … great grip. Highly recommended.

I also enjoy Nebbiolo from Cavallotto, Burlotto and Produttori.

1 highly second the Cantalupo Agamium. I was under the impression that it was 100% neb. I also agree the 2011 & 2010 are a little leaner in the fruit than the 2009. Haven’t seen the 2012 yet. (Full disclosure–I sell this wine)

The Vietti Nebbiolo perbacco is my go to in this category.

The listings above are quite good. Another daily drinker I’d throw in is Marcarini’s Lasarin Langhe Nebbiolo. I’m not sure if it fits your ideal US price point but I reckon it would be pretty close.

One you might see locally (or maybe not, they’re still not a big producer) is Cascina Ballarin. Their Nebbiolo has always been very impressive when I’ve tasted it, and very much the bargain of their range.

No, I have not. But I suppose you could put De Forville Langhe Nebbiolo in the same under 20 character.

You should be able to find the normale Produttori Barb for $20.