Connecticut Wine Retailer Shipping Bill Introduced (Hearing Set)

A bill to allow wine shipments from out-of-state wine stores to Connecticut consumers has been introduced:

HB 7317: https://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/cgabillstatus/cgabillstatus.asp?selBillType=Bill&bill_num=HB07317&which_year=2017

There will be a hearing on this bill at the Capitol in Hartford, CT on April 11 at noon in the Finance, Revenue and Bonding Committee: https://www.cga.ct.gov/2017/findata/pha/2017PHA00411-R001200FIN-PHA.htm

If by chance there are any Berserkers who live in Connecticut and can make to the hearing to sit down and tell the committee members that as a consumer you support this bill it would be VERY helpful.

In fact, I’ll even write your testimony for you if you like.

This is all good news. The ball is rolling. Currently there are retailer wine shipping bills in NY, TX, AL (yes, Alabama) and CT. In addition, lawsuits challenging bans on retailer shipping are playing out in IL, MO and MI.

Any questions I’m happy to answer them.

Interesting. When living in CT I found it much easier to receive wine even from WineLibrary. To this day I still ship some winery allocations to my parents in CT b/c they won’t ship to MA

Spoke to my local rep today on this, and he pledged to kill it.

I asked why, and he said it’s too dangerous for children.

I asked him if he really thought that kids would order booze on line and manage to wait for it and skirt the signature process, and he would not answer.

It’s worth noting that his wife is a Slocumb.

David,

You should show up at the hearing and explain that in the 12 years since Connecticut consumers have been able to have wine shipped to them from out-of-state wineries there has been not one instance of CT law enforcement noting a problem with minors obtaining wine.

Tom…

I remember in the 90’s living in CT and having UPS/FedEx whatever drop off boxes from west coast retailers at my place, without getting signatures.

Most of the time laws harmonize with social norms, over time.

It strange here that things have gone backwards.

Arv,

Help change things.

Tom…

Two things:

1. They don’t care what actual constituents think
  2. I don’t need out of state retailer shipments…in fact my wife would prefer I could not get them. :wink:

Great :neutral_face: