Masters Champions Dinner - Danny Willet's Wine Picks

I’m a golf nut and am always intrigued by the previous champion’s dinner menu and wine selection. Here are Danny Willet’s:

2012 Aubert “Ritchie Vineyard” Sonoma Coast Chardonnay (RP95) ($125)

2012 Caymus “Special Selection” Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon (RP96) ($190)

I think Spieth had the '11 Caymus last year. I wonder if Augusta National picks the wines or gives some leeway to the recent Champion.

Good choices.

Augusta National picks the wines. Champion “helps” with the dinner menu.
On the show Feherty recently, Feherty was interviewing Phil and Phil tells the story that when he was picking his 1st champions dinner menu he asked former chairman, Hootie Johnson that he knew the club had a good cellar and to pull out the really good stuff. Johnson responded - Yessir and turned to the attendant " Now you make sure Mr. Mickelson receives the bill for tonight".

So, sounds like if you want something other than what the club is pouring, that the wine bill is on you.

I believe Tiger had a '95 Batard and '75 Mouton when he hosted in '98. Guessing Faldo poured something decent too after his 3.

The '75 was a bit old for Tiger’s…ahh damn it. Tough to break bad habits.

What a cool thing.

I love that this dinner promotes the finer side of wine, no matter the specific choices.

What a wonderful time that would be.

'75 Mouton was a nice birth year wine for Tiger to break out after his first win.

Thanks,
Ed

Except for the Caymus.

Not a Caymus guy Nevin? I have not tried the 2012, but in general, I do like the Caymus SS. Usually a crowd pleaser, viscous, sandalwood, well balanced and smooth. I would love to see the Augusta cellar and find out what other choices they may have (and bring my clubs for a round)!

MJ

It is deep and very well priced.

I suspect Tiger would be happy with a 75 these days.

FIFY

Scott poured Yattarna and Grange IIRC. That would have been quite costly.