TN: My 39th Birthday - three '78s + '37 Madeira

MY 39TH BIRTHDAY - (4/1/2017)

• 2004 Fleury Pere & Fils Champagne Cepages Blancs Brut - France, Champagne
    I had no expectations for this wine as I’d never tried anything from the producer. It turned out to be a truly enjoyable and very quaffable wine. The nose yielded hints of citrus and white fruit with a clear nutty character underneath. Bright and acidic on the palate. Very nice wine. (92 pts.)
  • 2014 Domaine Rollin Père et Fils Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru Sous Frétille - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru
    Really enjoyable. Flint and white fruit ruled the nose along with a hint of white pepper. On the palate the minerality was clear. This wine deserved more attention than I gave it but we slotted it into the lineup at the last minute and it didn’t have a food course to pair with it. (90 pts.)
  • 2015 François Chidaine Montlouis-sur-Loire Les Bournais - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Montlouis-sur-Loire
    A bit dense and overtly ripe without the acidity I remembered from the previous bottle I drank. This needs some time and maybe it will become more interesting than it turned out to be. (87 pts.)
  • 1978 Franco Franchino Piemonte - Italy, Piedmont, Piemonte DOC
    A bit tired but still interesting. Earth and tar were the predominant components along with black tea. It was a bit oxidized though and this really hurt it on the palate. Entirely forgettable due to the wines that followed.
  • 1978 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Slow ox’d for three hours. A hauntingly complex nose of old leather, iodine, earthy funk, and bright red fruits that remained at the center. On the palate, the fruit and earth came through clearly along with a lingering finish aided by solid acidity. Incredible. (98 pts.)
  • 1978 Château Haut-Bailly - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan
    Slow ox’d for three hours. Decanted just before serving. Very savoury with earth, tobacco, and stones. The earthiness was especially apparent on the palate, mixing with the dark red fruit that still remained strong. (95 pts.)
  • 1937 D’Oliveiras Madeira Sercial - Portugal, Madeira
    Decanted for 24 hours. The nose on this was magical. Figs, leather, and toasted almonds. On the palate the acidity was clear and bright and came across as dry and lingering. God I wish I had more of this wine. (98 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Wonderful note!

I think I’d like to find that Madeira!

A piece of advice: stop having birthdays, right now!

Nice wines/notes.

Happy birthday, Pat.

Thanks, Pat. Great fun, and some incredible wines - especially those two '78s and the Madeira. The Beaucastel and Bailly were both exceptional, and the Sercial was another step up for me - one of the best old Madeiras I’ve had.

Also, really liked that '01 Heredia Reserva you pulled later. Quite young, but so elegant and polished.

Salil, thank you for bringing the white burg and the Bailly. Yes, the 2001 LdH Tondonia was very nice as well.

That 37 Sercial is OMG good.

Happy birthday!

Pat…so glad you had a great experience with the '78 Beaucastel for your Bday…the one I had was just a tad tired. It goes to show, no great wines…but there are great bottles. Happy Birthday!!

my fellow 78. happy birthday pat.