Paris Wines (Long, probably boring, but with prices and pics)

Spent last week in Paris with my family. Great trip. Beats out NYC for me these days as as cosmopolis of choice.

Obviously, prices are usually not to the fore in notes, but I thought interesting the comparison with US. Amazing deals in some of the small venues (restaurants and shops), but I also saw some I thought surprisingly high (for other chablis for example, Droin and Le Picq, which in the States are usually much cheaper).

2014 V & R Dauvissat Le Foret 1er Matchstick (but not too much), big, yet I thought relatively open; great cut, with more citrus than the Raveneau (which in my experience largely lacks it). 49 E in local wine shop.

2011 Raveneau Les Blanchots GC Trace of minerality backed by some toffee and white fruits to start. Mid-palate seemed a touch thin. Subsequently opens up and becomes at once more stoney and more opulent. Long minerally finish. Great transparency and lightness and its feet, while bringing so much power. Could drink this all day.
61 E (Restaurant bottle!)
(This and the next bottle come from a bistrot near Bastille with execrable food, except for the cheese, which was well chosen and aged. At 32E for the set menu, one could just eat the cheese and drink the Raveneau, which, besides this, included a 2013 Montee Tonnere and a 2011 Valmur, each less than the one above.)

2012 Drouhin V-R Villages Nice Vosne spice, slightly on the lean side; purple fruits, decent finish. Become more interesting over time, but never more than correct. Another steal. 45 E (Restaurant Bottle)

2011 Domaine Dujac Chambolle-Musigny Village
To me a lot of Chambolle character and no GM’s. At first, it was a little tannic and closed; after long colloquy with Somm, was then decanted. (He subsequently admitted I was correct and that it was better; FWIW, they refused to serve me any of the Roumier village Chambolle 2011-13, claiming it was not ready to drink. Hmmm?) Blue fruits mixed with violets, giving a true Chambolle feel, nice firm core, but not too heavy; good, but not exceptionally long finish. A touch simpl at moments, but very fine bottle for what it was. Paired beautifully with their ris de veau, a dish which I must eat at least once when I am in France. 105 (Restaurant bottle)

2006 Mugnier Chambolle-Musigny Village Darker fruited than the Dujac, more acidity. Would not have guessed Chambolle. Tense, nervy wine that was fun to follow in the glass—filled out over time, and bespoke greater promise, but still felt a little bit like a dance over the abyss. 140 E (Restaurant bottle at Restaurant David Toutain, one of the best meals I’ve had in ages, not to be missed, imho. Was not on their list, offered by somm.)

1978 Savigny Les Beaunes Cuvee Arthur Girard Hospice de Beaune
Extreme sous bois and wet stone at the get go; a touch of brett that blows off. red fruit, but very deep sweet resolved core, spices come in at the end and more in the nose, wine keeps changing in the glass. Surprisingly complex and alive—not sure if this is a 1er not. (The vines Girard gave to the Hospice apparently are. but nothing is indicated on the bottle.) 69E

Pictures for this last:
IMG_2850.JPG
IMG_2851.JPG
IMG_2849.JPG

I wish more people included information like this in their travel posts. Great post

Yes…thanks for the prices!! Nice drinks too!

Still remarkable how reasonably priced Raveneau is in France, and how ridiculous the prices are in the states.

crazy. Thanks so much. Great to see pricing. Raveneau pricing is beyond stupid now, esp grand crus.

Worth the airfare to Paris just to drink cheap Raveneau. Literally and figuratively.

Great post!

Thank You for nice read.
And great wine recommendations.
[cheers.gif]
-Søren.

FWIW, edited Dujac Chambolle note, which had lost a sentence. And thanks, everyone, for your generous comments.

When I’ve visited I didn’t find much difference between the prices of Bordeaux in Paris vs. big city USA.

Could not agree more. When one is tired of Paris, one is tired of life. Much more intimate city than New york.

Nice notes, nice wines. With prices like these who needs BYO policies? Reminds me that I wish US restaurants were as balanced in pricing great wine as food. Too bad the bistro food was disappointing, there are so many other awesome places to eat in Paris! Makes me want to hop on a plane just to have dinner and watch the young people stroll by on the Canal St Martin.

“Much more intimate city than New york.”

Nicely put; I very much agree (and I grew up in NYC).

Nice, notes. Josh. And some great wines (and prices, as noted!). Always interesting/odd the politics of lists–seems completely unreasonable that a wine actually on a list without $-- or “en cave” would not be offered to you, particularly when other villages wines of the same vintages are being poured!
See you Sat.