TN: 1996 Chateau Lagrange St. Julien

No problems with the cork. I let it breath in the bottle for about 45 minutes. The color is a fading garnet with a touch of orange at the rim. Hardly any sediment. The wine is drinking very well right now, but it becomes less fruity after about 1.5 hours. It shows fresh red fruit, balanced acidity and mostly resolved tannin. There is no oak on the bouquet or in the mouth, but tertiary flavors abound-leather, some farmyard, touch of tobacco, bit of eucalyptus. The wine is medium-bodied and elegant. I love where it is right now, showing both pure fruit and complexity. Who says you can’t have everything?

With roast lamb.

I last tried this '96 Lagrange St. Julien about 3 years ago and it was quite weedy, green and drying with spiky tannins, seeming to need much more time. I’ll have to try another based on this note, but I will be surprised if it’s in an “early window.”

Thx for juicy note.
Got some '96s too.
Last tried 8 years ago (not My bottle), and noted like Gary, in need of much more time.
Any notes on the '05 ?

-Søren.

Thanks for reading, Gary. I hope you enjoy it.

Sadly, '96 is the only vintage I have ever tried. I see 2005 is widely available in the States, and at a fairly reasonable price. Have you tried it yet?

The 2005 is beginning to show signs of opening up. Give it a couple of years, but it will be a better wine than 1996. Last tasted in November, but it is a wine I know well, as a friend does the PR for them.

I had high hopes for the 96 Lagrange after it showed wonderfully at a tasting in 2008-- young but full of promise.

I’ve had it 4-5 times since and it’s never hit that high level again. A few of my bottles showed like Gary’s, I don’t mind a little weediness, but it was pretty green and borderline dilute. I figured I’d wait and hope on my remaining bottles.

Sidebar: what’s the best vintage of Lagrange post-1990?

Lagrange 2000 is drinking pretty well right now … and still upwards potential!

I’ve had this a bunch of times over its life, I don’t think its improving now.

It’s a reliable estate, but doesn’t seem to wow me.

The 1990 Wows me – I think it’s near great right now, and the '90 is what keeps my hopes up for the '96.

I agree, the 90 is wonderful. I hope subsequent vintages like the 00 and 05 get to that level some day.

1990 Lagrange was awesome, but in general most so many 1990’s were too.

I have one of these on my drink now rack, which was supposed to have gotten guzzled in December at age 20, but its been elusive prey.

I’ve read that the estate is unusually pretty.

1990 is very good, as is the1989; I have had them both on a few occasions and never sure which one will be better.

I just had the '05 from a 375 last month. I agree with Mark, that’s it’s just starting to sing and needs a few more years. It will be a better wine than the '96. For me, the '05 is the best year since the '90.

Oh no! When was this??

Thx for the '05 update. Sounds good, will wait.
I somehow avoided the tough 2000, -only a single Fiefs left. The '00 Fiefs, tasted in 2005: Purple oak. -Must have scared Me off.

-Søren.

Daniel, my apologies, I went back and checked my notes, and I had this confused with another Chateau. Sorry for the false alarm!

I think Lagrange (post early 80s) shows a lot of oak young, just because by modern Bdx standards it is typically leaner/less ripe than most. New oak can hide easier in a 14.5% wine. But I think with time the oak integrates nicely. The 89 and 90 were distinctly oaky young, and now both show very well.