Pairing with corned beef and cabbage; no beer in the fridge

I’m serious.
Thanks

Wow - that is a tough one - my least favorite meal. That cabbage is a tough match. Maybe a champagne would balance the saltiness of the corned beef and the cabbage.

dryish Riesling, serve with mustard, call it choucroute

A good dry Oloroso Sherry.

Another vote for Riesling

…aaaagh c`mon…Pinot Gris deadhorse

Madeira, Fino Sherry, or Champagne

my least favorite meal

Mine too.

But the other day I was at Whole Foods and they had ground corned beef. “WTF”, I thought to myself. So I asked the guy behind the counter and he said it was more palatable to some people that way. Then I spied some corned beef sausages and asked if they were the same thing.

“No,” he said, “those sausages include ground up carrots, onions, and some other things.”

“So basically they take that meal, grind it up and put it into a sausage casing?”

“Yeah,” he replied. “Pretty much.”

Much as I don’t love the stuff, I couldn’t resist. Basically a burrito is where they take everything you should eat separately and roll it in a tortilla. This took it to another level - grind up your dinner and call it sausage. So I bought a few.

Had it with a Mencia. Wasn’t too bad. But maybe it was just my surprise that the sausage was edible.

But come to think of it, sherry isn’t a bad suggestion.

Let us know what you end up with. [cheers.gif]

No beer in fridge? Is there a 7-11 nearby?

I just push the cabbage aside, or try not to eat it with the wine. With the meat, I actually find that a low oak sangiovese or Barbaresco works for me, although I’m one who doesn’t worry a lot about perfect food and wine matches.

Cellartracker has these wines tagged for ‘cabbage and corned beef’

2009 Casa Marin Riesling Miramar
RIESLING

2009 Claiborne and Churchill Riesling Dry
RIESLING

2006 MacPhail Pinot Noir Anderson Valley
PINOT NOIR

2011 Joseph Phelps Pinot Noir Pastorale Vineyard
PINOT NOIR

1999 Vinum Cellars Syrah Vista Verde Vineyard
SYRAH

This

Easy - Alsatian Pinot Gris, or a rich Gwz from anywhere

When did 7-11 start selling drinkable beer?

Pinot Noir, same color as the beef

You cannot be serious. My wife is Irish and wants to eat this dish once every year. Heavily salted beef, boiled with cabbage and mashed. the potatoes are the best part of this dish. Drink Guiness…

The Irish were never known for their refined food. Bless my deceased mother-in-law, she was a saint, but couldn’t produce much that was tasty pileon

I quite like corned beef, preferably on rye with sharp cheddar and mustard. I’d typically choose beer but Riesling seems like a reasonable choice, or sherry.

As for corned beef itself it isn’t really a staple of Irish cuisine, though they produced a lot for the British and American militaries. While it is true (and fair) that neither Ireland nor Great Britain are considered culinary centers, when one thinks of Irish cuisine, it is probably unfair to consider corned beef the centerpiece. Lamb, pork and fish are much more typical.

I would definitely go with Riesling, but not dry. Kabinett or Spatlese or something from Alsace with some residual sugar.

Big CA Syrah.

Seriously. I usually go for Myriad & Carlisle, pretty awesome with corned beef.

Nothing really pairs all that well with cabbage though…maybe Champagne?

Who needs beer?

Eat, drink from the cellar, dance a jig, and go to bed.