Old World in the New.

After trying some Oregon Drouhin, I am more curious now about New World ventures of Old World Producers. I know Antinori is trying some in Napa with Antica, but I was wondering if there were any others out there. They don’t all necessarily have to be great, I am just curious about seeing any differences and/or perspectives.

Dominus

Tablas Creek (Beaucastel). I think the wines are quite good

There are a whole bunch of sparkling wine producers in California, like Domaine Chandon and Roederer. Opus One is part Mouton. Dominos is Mouex. Resonance in Oregon is Jadot. Tons more.

There are also things going the opposite was, like Kalin making burgundy

Antinori does Col Solare, one of the better Red Mountain wineries in my opinion.

Alfred Tesseron (Pontet Canet) bought Robin William’s estate. New name escapes me.

Acaibo in Sonoma (Haut bages liberal, dufort vivens, ch domeyne, ferriere)

List goes on and on.

Dominus, Tablas, and Opus one of course are the more established ones. I was looking for things that I may not have known. Thanks for the info!

HDV is a project involving Aubert du Villaine from DRC and Hyde Vineyards

Chapoutier have been in Australia for decades (and have made some decent wines).

The movement of individual winemakers goes well beyond joint ventures etc. and many have done vintages in both worlds.

Araujo.

Nicolas Jay in Oregon

Both Oregon:

Véronique Drouhin & Isabelle Dutartre Pinot Noir Caballus

Jacques Lardiere Resonance Pinot Noir

Alexandrine Roy works out of Phelps Creek

Serge Laville of Spring Valley Vineyard is about as French as they come

Assuming Australia is including in the category ‘New World’:

Chapoutier (Rhone) in Heathcote
Graillot (Rhone) in Heathcote
Chandon (Champagne) in Yarra Valley (+)
Merchard (Burgundy) in Margaret River
Dominique Portet (Bordeaux) in Yarra valley/Heathcote

May de Lencquesaing, the former owner of Pichon Lalande, owns/makes Glennelly Estate in Stellenbosch. Not a huge fan of South African reds in general, but it was academic to give her wines a try. As a fan of Pichon Lalande and the slight bit of subtle green/violet character the wine would take from the high petit verdot content, I was hoping to see similar style in her wines from there.

Didn’t get much of that though, although the wines are reasonably well made and the property is stunning.

This actually looks very interesting! Any specific suggestions?

Egon Müller also makes (made?) riesling in South Australia, a label called Kanta.
Nice wine, but hardly-Saar-like.
cheers,
Graeme

Are they mostly doing Shiraz in Australia or is there some grenache over there too?