William & Mary Wine Co.

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

William & Mary Wine Co.

#51 Post by Merrill Lindquist » March 22nd, 2017, 2:46 pm

Congratulations, Will (and Molly)! Having your own wine is kind of like having a kid: your life will never be the same (as you know)!

When it gets close to harvest, bring by some fruit and we will compare flavors. I think it was 2015 when we did this...or maybe 2014. Where do the years go? [cheers.gif]
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Ted Erfer
GCC Member
GCC Member

William & Mary Wine Co.

#52 Post by Ted Erfer » March 22nd, 2017, 3:03 pm

OK --- I looked at the offer and was thinking about ordering when I read this thread.
So - I am in for three.
Good luck with the project Will. I look forward to trying some at the next Falltacular (weather permitting).

Roy Piper

William & Mary Wine Co.

#53 Post by Roy Piper » March 25th, 2017, 3:13 pm

I had the 2014 last week and also tried barrels of the 15 and 16.

As I have seen with most 15 and 16s, they are raw and still works in progress, as are mine and many others I have tried. I am interested to try them again in 6-12 months or so.

Here are my thoughts on the 2014, which is his first release....

1. They do not taste like TRB wines, whether Schrader, Mayback or Rivers-Marie. So you are not getting a clone of any of those wines, stylistically.

2. The Cab is "estate" and from the hillsides of a cooler region, Oak Knoll, and is not as ripe as many super-high end releases. Moulds Vineyard is the same AVA as his wine, on the same hillside extention and I can see his estate from it. Thus, W&M has the "cool" climate (for Napa, anyway) imprint.

3. The 14 is all about texture. It has fruit, but is not a fruit bomb in any way. But I kept coming back to the texture, which I would describe as viscous and "oily", and I mean that in a good way. I really, really liked the texture of this wine. It's not a monster.

4. Like all new wine ventures, he is feeling his way to what he wants it to be and I expect evolution over time, so getting in now is essentially getting on board for the ride.

5. Its actually pretty rare to get an estate Cab for the entry-fee of $110 nowadays, especially with free shipping! Also, I like the fact that this is a true "family" operation. It's a family estate, which is gorgeous btw, and he makes the wine and sells it. There is very little of it. Not many new operations come out like this anymore, as most are new $250 Cabs with Beckstoffer fruit. Those wineries increasingly become a blur, wineries like this do not.

6. The benefit of getting in now is that most people here already know Will. Obviously he has the training to do this, both from the winemaking side and the sales side, and he never has to worry about the fruit source going away. It is both stable... and small, a nice combination.

I am a biased source here, because I've known Will and Mol for over a decade, but these kind of permanantly small operations are what I like to get behind. The quality is there, as is the talent.

To me the most important reason for someone to collect new wines is .... access. Frankly, quality is almost everywhere now, so what matters is buying wines where you can meet and learn from the owner/winemaker. Knowing that when you come out to Napa, you can meet with that person and feel connected. Connection matters.

For me, this is a work in progress, with a very good start, and likely to get better and better over time. I recommend getting in early and enjoying the ride.

Hope this helps!
ITB

PHuff
GCC Member
GCC Member

William & Mary Wine Co.

#54 Post by PHuff » March 25th, 2017, 4:07 pm

Thanks for the thorough analysis Roy.

One of the reasons I hesitate on new projects like this is that $110 seems to quickly turn into $125, and then $150+ within a few vintages. If I knew the pricing would stay close to $110 with free shipping for the foreseeable future I would be more inclined to take a chance.
Roy Piper wrote:I had the 2014 last week and also tried barrels of the 15 and 16.

As I have seen with most 15 and 16s, they are raw and still works in progress, as are mine and many others I have tried. I am interested to try them again in 6-12 months or so.

Here are my thoughts on the 2014, which is his first release....

1. They do not taste like TRB wines, whether Schrader, Mayback or Rivers-Marie. So you are not getting a clone of any of those wines, stylistically.

2. The Cab is "estate" and from the hillsides of a cooler region, Oak Knoll, and is not as ripe as many super-high end releases. Moulds Vineyard is the same AVA as his wine, on the same hillside extention and I can see his estate from it. Thus, W&M has the "cool" climate (for Napa, anyway) imprint.

3. The 14 is all about texture. It has fruit, but is not a fruit bomb in any way. But I kept coming back to the texture, which I would describe as viscous and "oily", and I mean that in a good way. I really, really liked the texture of this wine. It's not a monster.

4. Like all new wine ventures, he is feeling his way to what he wants it to be and I expect evolution over time, so getting in now is essentially getting on board for the ride.

5. Its actually pretty rare to get an estate Cab for the entry-fee of $110 nowadays, especially with free shipping! Also, I like the fact that this is a true "family" operation. It's a family estate, which is gorgeous btw, and he makes the wine and sells it. There is very little of it. Not many new operations come out like this anymore, as most are new $250 Cabs with Beckstoffer fruit. Those wineries increasingly become a blur, wineries like this do not.

6. The benefit of getting in now is that most people here already know Will. Obviously he has the training to do this, both from the winemaking side and the sales side, and he never has to worry about the fruit source going away. It is both stable... and small, a nice combination.

I am a biased source here, because I've known Will and Mol for over a decade, but these kind of permanantly small operations are what I like to get behind. The quality is there, as is the talent.

To me the most important reason for someone to collect new wines is .... access. Frankly, quality is almost everywhere now, so what matters is buying wines where you can meet and learn from the owner/winemaker. Knowing that when you come out to Napa, you can meet with that person and feel connected. Connection matters.

For me, this is a work in progress, with a very good start, and likely to get better and better over time. I recommend getting in early and enjoying the ride.

Hope this helps!
Paul

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

William & Mary Wine Co.

#55 Post by Merrill Lindquist » March 25th, 2017, 5:35 pm

Roy Piper wrote:Here are my thoughts on the 2014, which is his first release....

The 14 is all about texture. It has fruit, but is not a fruit bomb in any way. But I kept coming back to the texture, which I would describe as viscous and "oily", and I mean that in a good way. I really, really liked the texture of this wine. It's not a monster.
A nice post, Mr. Piper.

I have not had any of Mr. Segui's wines, but your comment about his 2014 struck me immediately. Vintage characteristic? Will's vineyard source is pretty far from mine, but both Napa Valley. I sampled my 2014 with a few friends this weekend, and I noted that mouthfeel, which I characterized as glycerin-y. Bordering on a jolly-rancher combination of pure fruit with a clear viscosity." Oily?" I had not thought of that descriptor, but we are talking about the same thing. And not talking negative. Fruit and texture.

Would love to host you and Will for a 2014 comparative tasting...amongst friends. flirtysmile
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Tom Reddick
GCC Member
GCC Member

William & Mary Wine Co.

#56 Post by Tom Reddick » March 25th, 2017, 7:44 pm

Thank you Roy. I am happy I got a front row seat on day one, but as I eagerly await the arrival of the wines plus an appropriate settling period before tasting- it is good to read your comments and feel like I made a wise choice.

Your point on the rarity of a $110 price point for such a wine is quite right (and a nice surprise when the offering came- I had been bracing myself mentally for $250+). That and the lack of "big talk" on the website were quite refreshing, and suggest someone who is very eager to make really great wine and not just use the current cookie-cutter formula to start up a famous new winery and be "fantastic".

By reputation the site and talent are there- but I think I respect and admire the motives best. Looking forward to the ride.
ITB

Bill Tex Landreth

William & Mary Wine Co.

#57 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » April 24th, 2017, 1:00 pm

Had a bottle on Saturday night. Did not suck

It's not easy being drunk all the time. Everyone would be doing it if it were easy.

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

William & Mary Wine Co.

#58 Post by Paul McCourt » April 24th, 2017, 1:36 pm

My daughter is a freshman there so I guess that, as a good parent, I must buy some. ;)

M A T T H A R T L E Y

William & Mary Wine Co.

#59 Post by M A T T H A R T L E Y » May 6th, 2017, 7:17 am

Opened a bottle of this last night not really sure what to expect. While $110 is certainly not inexpensive, this is one of the better Cabs I have had this year...and I would stack it against some Cali Cab I have had @ $250+ any day of the week.

Awesome stuff.

ykwon
GCC Member
GCC Member

William & Mary Wine Co.

#60 Post by ykwon » May 6th, 2017, 9:16 am

Really great to hear Matt!
y 0 n 9
k w 0 n

Bud Carey
GCC Member
GCC Member

William & Mary Wine Co.

#61 Post by Bud Carey » May 6th, 2017, 9:40 am

Dammit... now I may have to unhide a bottle!!
Budman

M A T T H A R T L E Y

William & Mary Wine Co.

#62 Post by M A T T H A R T L E Y » May 6th, 2017, 9:54 am

Bud Carey wrote:Dammit... now I may have to unhide a bottle!!
It's worth popping one!

Sean Malloy
GCC Member
GCC Member

William & Mary Wine Co.

#63 Post by Sean Malloy » May 18th, 2017, 9:24 am

Opened a bottle of 2014 William & Mary recently. What struck me about this bottle was its uniqueness in the large sea of often good but somewhat indistinguishable Napa cabs. There were two things about this that stood out to me. One was the "oily" texture, mentioned above, which was definitely there and definitely a positive. The other was on the palate for me, which screamed cherry with an under layer of dark cocoa, but in a really cool and unique way which was not at all traditional overripe red fruit and chocolate notes. It was very nuanced and delicious. Really cool wine, glad I ordered some.

Bud Carey
GCC Member
GCC Member

William & Mary Wine Co.

#64 Post by Bud Carey » May 18th, 2017, 9:26 am

I did indeed open one. My wife and I both liked it so much that I bought an additional 3-pack.
Budman

andy velebil

William & Mary Wine Co.

#65 Post by andy velebil » May 22nd, 2017, 11:32 am

I tasted this almost 2 weeks ago while up in Napa. Have been on vacation since and I only posted a brief note from my phone here.. http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vie ... 1&t=140658

Simply put, it was the best Cab I had while in Napa. Sean Malloy really nailed it with his note above.
I'm a Port drinking fool!
http://www.fortheloveofport.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ftlop.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Phil S t a f f o r d

William & Mary Wine Co.

#66 Post by Phil S t a f f o r d » July 2nd, 2017, 8:23 am

I was lucky enough to meet Will at the Shifflet Ranch this week. It is a beautiful property at the south end of the valley, west of 29 climbing into the hills at the end of Darms Lane. Will was very generous in sharing both his 2014 and 2015 releases (just over 100 cases and 77 cases respectively). The 2015 has been in bottle 2 weeks.

I had immediately purchased the 2014 on release in March but have yet to crack one. I was thrilled to taste the wines and they did not disappoint. These are Segui wines, not Rivers Marie in any way, although I will liken the overall tannin balance and density (which makes me very happy). The W&M cabernets exhibit dark and black fruits at the core with a well balanced weave of ripe tangy vibrancy. I agree with Sean and Roy's prior comments here on the 'cool' vibe to the fruit (in a great way). Lots of layers and a long finish. With just a bit of air, these were very drinkable (I enjoy young Napa wines) and will evolve in a positive way. I cannot recommend these wines highly enough! Place your order quickly for the 2015 when it releases as there's not much to go around. Awesome job, thank you and congratulations Will!

Will is expecting to add a cabernet franc and merlot blend from the Ranch in coming years.

[cheers.gif]

Bill Tex Landreth

William & Mary Wine Co.

#67 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » October 27th, 2017, 4:22 pm

Word around the campfire is that Will might be releasing next week. Only 75 cases to go around.
It's not easy being drunk all the time. Everyone would be doing it if it were easy.

Bill Tex Landreth

William & Mary Wine Co.

#68 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » November 8th, 2017, 1:45 pm

Offer is out and it looks like the price has held from last year with shipping included.

Bud Carey
GCC Member
GCC Member

William & Mary Wine Co.

#69 Post by Bud Carey » November 8th, 2017, 1:52 pm

I'll be getting a few...
Budman

Glenn L e v i n e

William & Mary Wine Co.

#70 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » November 8th, 2017, 1:56 pm

In for 750s + a Maggie. Really a bargain when viewed in context.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

ykwon
GCC Member
GCC Member

William & Mary Wine Co.

#71 Post by ykwon » November 8th, 2017, 2:22 pm

In for a 3 pack again. Haven’t even tasted the 14 yet.
y 0 n 9
k w 0 n

andy velebil

William & Mary Wine Co.

#72 Post by andy velebil » November 8th, 2017, 2:54 pm

Haven't tasted the '15 yet, but since I loved the '14 so much I'm in for some :)

PaulMills
GCC Member
GCC Member

William & Mary Wine Co.

#73 Post by PaulMills » November 8th, 2017, 4:23 pm

I have opened one ‘14 and it was spectacular. In for three of the ‘15. I am really trying to make this my last purchase for the year.

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member

William & Mary Wine Co.

#74 Post by Mike Maguire » November 8th, 2017, 4:31 pm

Think I just signed up recently, so probably no soup for me. From the above TN’s it should be right up my alley.

Order in, thanks Will and you know who, much appreciated champagne.gif
Last edited by Mike Maguire on November 16th, 2017, 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

William & Mary Wine Co.

#75 Post by AlexS » November 8th, 2017, 4:44 pm

In for a 3-pack, free shipping makes it a no brainer.
s t e w @ r t

Joe B
GCC Member
GCC Member

William & Mary Wine Co.

#76 Post by Joe B » November 8th, 2017, 5:04 pm

ykwon wrote:In for a 3 pack again. Haven’t even tasted the 14 yet.
This is what is holding me back right now. I think I might have a few days to make the decision.
J W@ll @ce
WOTY
2009 Shafer Hillside Select 98
2013 Realm To-Kalon 97

Bud Carey
GCC Member
GCC Member

William & Mary Wine Co.

#77 Post by Bud Carey » November 8th, 2017, 5:19 pm

In for 6 plus a mag.... maybe more in the not too distant future.

You rock, Will!!!
Budman

andy velebil

William & Mary Wine Co.

#78 Post by andy velebil » November 8th, 2017, 5:20 pm

Joe B wrote:
ykwon wrote:In for a 3 pack again. Haven’t even tasted the 14 yet.
This is what is holding me back right now. I think I might have a few days to make the decision.
The '14 was killer. So I have faith this one is too. Pull the plug and get some!

Tom Reddick
GCC Member
GCC Member

William & Mary Wine Co.

#79 Post by Tom Reddick » November 8th, 2017, 6:48 pm

Got the offer this afternoon. Did 12 + 1 mag as in 2014.

Production is down- 77 cases confirmed as noted above- and there are only 36 magnums- so it would seem prudent to move fairly quickly on this one.
ITB

Bud Carey
GCC Member
GCC Member

William & Mary Wine Co.

#80 Post by Bud Carey » November 9th, 2017, 4:57 am

Slept on it and decided to purchase the rest of my allocation, so I have a case plus a mag.
Budman

Humberto Dorta
Contributor
Contributor

William & Mary Wine Co.

#81 Post by Humberto Dorta » November 9th, 2017, 7:59 am

It is my favorite new cab in several years. Will is a great guy and we have shared many a dram. I expected a good wine, given his background. The 2014 blew all of my expectations away. I wish I had more space in the cellar. I have nowhere to put them but bought a sixer of this release anyway.
--Berto

Eric Werner
GCC Member
GCC Member

William & Mary Wine Co.

#82 Post by Eric Werner » November 9th, 2017, 8:02 pm

Mag ordered (all things considered, a great price compared to the 750), but wondering whether I should order some 750s. Haven’t tasted the 2014 yet, and trying to cut back on purchases. For those of you who have tasted, if my preferences lean toward Greer, Piper, Gallica, VHR, and Schrader, where will this fit? Thanks.

Humberto Dorta
Contributor
Contributor

William & Mary Wine Co.

#83 Post by Humberto Dorta » November 10th, 2017, 8:34 am

Buy
--Berto

lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member

William & Mary Wine Co.

#84 Post by lleichtman » November 10th, 2017, 10:36 am

Bdklein wrote:
William Segui wrote:
I have spoken to a trademark lawyer and my understanding is that I have the legal right to use the name, as trademarks apply to the field within which they operate (education v wine).
Since when are education and alcohol mutually exclusive ? I thought college is where you go to learn about alcohol?
[rofl.gif]
Lawrence G. Leichtman

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

William & Mary Wine Co.

#85 Post by Paul McCourt » November 11th, 2017, 12:49 pm

I bought.

Will is a good guy.

Bud Carey
GCC Member
GCC Member

William & Mary Wine Co.

#86 Post by Bud Carey » November 11th, 2017, 1:17 pm

Will is indeed a good guy, and he's making damn good wine
Budman

Ian Dorin
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

William & Mary Wine Co.

#87 Post by Ian Dorin » November 17th, 2017, 4:00 pm

Got to try the 2014, and was thoroughly impressed. It's not sweet on the attack, but has such a full, dense mouthfeel with a crazy long finish, I think it's a flat out steal.
ITB, Amanti Vino

“I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.” -WC Fields

Mich@el Ch@ng

Re: William & Mary Wine Co.

#88 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » November 20th, 2018, 5:18 am

Anyone know when this fall stuff is going out?

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#89 Post by mattcitrang » November 20th, 2018, 5:41 am

I think it’s the first week in December.

Chr!s G|@rn3r

#90 Post by Chr!s G|@rn3r » November 20th, 2018, 6:47 am

Per Will:

“Weather permitting, I'll be shipping the week after Thanksgiving.”

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#91 Post by K John Joseph » November 20th, 2018, 7:26 am

Had the 15 Cab, 16 Cab, and 16 Caterwaul at the Dallas offline. The Schifflett Vineyard cabs are lovely and were amazingly consistent in character over 15 and 16. Beautiful mix of plum, blueberry, and lifted redder fruit with lovely well integrated oak notes and violet. The Caterwaul is obviously a different vineyard (Regusci) and shows a darker black fruit profile with licorice, bitters, and slightly more distinct oak and baker's chocolate. All of it is pretty slamming stuff. Big thanks to Mr. Segui and Trent F. for getting it to the offline. The 14 got sucked down so fast I missed it!
J0hn-J-K4ne

Sean Malloy
GCC Member
GCC Member

#92 Post by Sean Malloy » December 2nd, 2018, 6:14 am

Sean Malloy wrote:
May 18th, 2017, 9:24 am
Opened a bottle of 2014 William & Mary recently. What struck me about this bottle was its uniqueness in the large sea of often good but somewhat indistinguishable Napa cabs. There were two things about this that stood out to me. One was the "oily" texture, mentioned above, which was definitely there and definitely a positive. The other was on the palate for me, which screamed cherry with an under layer of dark cocoa, but in a really cool and unique way which was not at all traditional overripe red fruit and chocolate notes. It was very nuanced and delicious. Really cool wine, glad I ordered some.
Received my 2016 three pack this week, which prompted me to open another of the 2014s. Very consistent with my above note from last year. I love this wine.

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#93 Post by larry schaffer » December 2nd, 2018, 8:51 am

Can't wait to try these at Falltacular - unless someone 'hogs' them again . . . (GRRRRRRRR)

Cheers.
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Andrew Demaree
GCC Member
GCC Member

#94 Post by Andrew Demaree » December 2nd, 2018, 12:26 pm

I bought the ‘16 cab to see what Will is up to. Took delivery last week and was very impressed with the elegant packaging. I’ll lay mine down for a few years, but am looking forward to trying them, given all the praise.

Bud Carey
GCC Member
GCC Member

#95 Post by Bud Carey » December 2nd, 2018, 12:55 pm

Popped a 2014 for dinner tonight.
Budman

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#96 Post by Brian Tuite » December 2nd, 2018, 5:45 pm

Bud Carey wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 12:55 pm
The ‘14 was my 2017 WOTY, absolutely loved it.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2018 WOTY...
2014 Carter Cellars Wietz

JFertitta

#97 Post by JFertitta » December 2nd, 2018, 5:58 pm

Mine arrived at my office last week. Can't wait to pop one for my bday (Christmas Eve). This is my first order so I'm really looking forward to trying one.
Jeff

Mich@el Ch@ng

#98 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » December 2nd, 2018, 6:00 pm

I’m in for 6 of the 16, think it’d drink well with a decant now?

PHuff
GCC Member
GCC Member

#99 Post by PHuff » December 2nd, 2018, 6:05 pm

JFertitta wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 5:58 pm
Mine arrived at my office last week. Can't wait to pop one for my bday (Christmas Eve). This is my first order so I'm really looking forward to trying one.
You guys are killing me......I was planning on waiting at least a couple of years before I opened one of the 16's.........My willpower is being tested
Paul

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#100 Post by Scott Brunson » December 2nd, 2018, 6:06 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 5:45 pm
Bud Carey wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 12:55 pm
The ‘14 was my 2017 WOTY, absolutely loved it.
Was it '14 that you opened for me?
Spectacular, whichever vintage
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Return to “Wine Talk”