#101 Post by Brian Tuite » December 2nd, 2018, 8:02 pm

Scott Brunson wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 6:06 pm
Brian Tuite wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 5:45 pm
Bud Carey wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 12:55 pm
Popped a 2014 for dinner tonight.
The ‘14 was my 2017 WOTY, absolutely loved it.
Was it '14 that you opened for me?
Spectacular, whichever vintage
That it was. [berserker.gif]
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2018 WOTY...
2014 Carter Cellars Wietz

Tom Reddick
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: William & Mary Wine Co.

#102 Post by Tom Reddick » December 2nd, 2018, 8:04 pm

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 6:00 pm
I’m in for 6 of the 16, think it’d drink well with a decant now?
14 and 15 showed well, if primary, with a several hour decant in advance. I will be opening both the 2016 Shifflett Ranch and 2016 Proprietary Red at two separate tastings in NYC next week and will have a first hand data point to share then.

I am really looking forward to it. We are going to do the 16 Shifflett alongside 2008 Chateau Lafleur and stick the Proprietary Red into a lengthy tasting of Chateau Magdelaine and Belair-Monange. Those should be interesting comparisons.
ITB

Chris H.

#103 Post by Chris H. » December 3rd, 2018, 6:50 am

Thanks I'd be interested in hearing what your (and the other tasters) impressions are of the William & Mary 2016 vintage. I'll be picking up my 6-pack from FedEx today, I'll probably have to open a bottle over Christmas/New Year to see how it is.
H a r r i s

NickRut
GCC Member
GCC Member

#104 Post by NickRut » December 3rd, 2018, 7:26 am

When I tasted the 16 Cab and Blend in early October they were both drinking pretty well. They were as good as anything I tasted during that trip including Rivers Marie, Myriad, Revana, Pride Mountain and Alpha Omega.

Im really excited to see where Will goes with the label in terms of other vineyards or things like that, if he decides to expand.
Rutkowski

Rajesh P a r i k h

#105 Post by Rajesh P a r i k h » December 3rd, 2018, 7:35 am

I just placed my order for the 2016 Cab. Looking forward to reading everyone's reviews.

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#106 Post by brigcampbell » December 3rd, 2018, 7:42 am

NickRut wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 7:26 am
When I tasted the 16 Cab and Blend in early October they were both drinking pretty well. They were as good as anything I tasted during that trip including Rivers Marie, Myriad, Revana, Pride Mountain and Alpha Omega.

Im really excited to see where Will goes with the label in terms of other vineyards or things like that, if he decides to expand.
That's an impressive statement. I like them too.

NED VALOIS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#107 Post by NED VALOIS » December 3rd, 2018, 7:53 am

Received 3 of each '16 W & M .
Hoping they receive good reviews from those of you guilty of infanticide !

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#108 Post by Anton D » December 3rd, 2018, 8:30 am

I admit to planning to Pobega a bottle over the holidays.
Anton Dotson

Eric S n y d e r

#109 Post by Eric S n y d e r » December 3rd, 2018, 10:31 am

Anton D wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 8:30 am
I admit to planning to Pobega a bottle over the holidays.
Same, just have to decide on the Cab or Red Blend... my other bottles will probably go sideways for a few years.

T Fletcher
GCC Member
GCC Member

#110 Post by T Fletcher » December 3rd, 2018, 12:47 pm

Here are my thoughts from tasting the 2015 and 2016 Cabs back in May. The 2016 was from barrel just before it was bottled.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=151264&p=2553657#p2553657

Two weeks ago, we had the 2014, 2015 and 2016 Cabs and 2016 Prop Red at our Dallas offline. John's comments on the 2015 and 2016 Cabs within this thread, post #91 are spot on. The 2014 went quickly and one of the guests in attendance said it was his WOTN. I only had a sip of the 2016 Cab, but it was just as I recalled from back in May. Seemed a bit more open for business than the 2015 at this time. I had a small pour of the 2016 Prop Red and it was brighter, higher-toned red fruit with sweeter tannins than the Cab and a solid core and laser-like focus. The two wines differ but both are really terrific and in purchasing a three-pack, I would have no reservations opening one for the holidays. I'd recommend several hours of a decant first.

For what it's worth, I also opened the 2014 and 2015 Cabs back in August for a couple of friends and after a 4-5 hour decant, the 2014 was singing. The 2015 had more structure and presented a darker fruit profile with more depth than the 2014 and was even better the next evening.
Trent Fletcher
CT: tcufletch

Chris H.

#111 Post by Chris H. » December 3rd, 2018, 3:43 pm

Thanks for the notes, I'll plan on opening one over the holidays, and let the remaining gain some bottle age.
H a r r i s

BenW

#112 Post by BenW » December 5th, 2018, 7:15 am

Not a tasting note (yet) but I wanted to give Will Segui a shout out for just being a class act.

Some of you may have seen in another thread that I was having some difficulty with my William & Mary delivery via FedEx. As best I can tell FedEx scanned it last Wednesday and Thursday as being on the truck for delivery but it was never delivered and is now lost (I presume stolen). To me this is just the cost of having wines regularly shipped across the country and living in the inner city. I filed a claim with FedEx.

Yesterday, without me doing anything, Will reached out and asked if I had received my wines because he was checking the tracking numbers and mine appeared to be a dead end. I briefly explained the situation and said I would reach back out to him if FedEx couldn't resolve the issue. Well, less than an hour later Will had replacement wine packed and sent. Incredible customer service especially since this was my first purchase of any of Will's wines. Thanks Will and thanks to this Winebeserkers thread for introducing me to this label and winemaker.
B.Williams

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#113 Post by Brian Tuite » December 5th, 2018, 7:16 am

BenW wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 7:15 am
Not a tasting note (yet) but I wanted to give Will Segui a shout out for just being a class act.

Some of you may have seen in another thread that I was having some difficulty with my William & Mary delivery via FedEx. As best I can tell FedEx scanned it last Wednesday and Thursday as being on the truck for delivery but it was never delivered and is now lost (I presume stolen). To me this is just the cost of having wines regularly shipped across the country and living in the inner city. I filed a claim with FedEx.

Yesterday, without me doing anything, Will reached out and asked if I had received my wines because he was checking the tracking numbers and mine appeared to be a dead end. I briefly explained the situation and said I would reach back out to him if FedEx couldn't resolve the issue. Well, less than an hour later Will had replacement wine packed and sent. Incredible customer service especially since this was my first purchase of any of Will's wines. Thanks Will and thanks to this Winebeserkers thread for introducing me to this label and winemaker.
Class act!
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2018 WOTY...
2014 Carter Cellars Wietz

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#114 Post by Marshall Gelb » December 5th, 2018, 7:23 am

William Segui wrote:
March 21st, 2017, 3:23 pm
What a great day - thank you all for your orders, interest and support. Not many have had the opportunity to try the wine, so I doubly appreciate the faith you all have in what I'm doing. If you are in the area please let me know, I'd love to run you through all the things I have going on.

I noticed a few questions upstream, here goes:

*shipping is included and weather permitting will start as soon as possible.

*Shifflett -- good question, one I will have to ask over the next family dinner. My mother-in law is a Shifflett (one of five here in the Valley) and they have been on the property since the 40's. Something about the midwest/Ohio rings a bell, but as a family really interesting, diverse history.

*Falltacular -- was sad to miss this year but I'll be there in 18 and I'll see if I can sneak a bottle on to the tiny little countertop upstairs down the hall they keep for Cabernet [wow.gif]
Looking forward to seeing you at the 2019 Falltacular!

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]
A quién tiene buen vino no le faltan amigos.

Rajesh P a r i k h

#115 Post by Rajesh P a r i k h » December 5th, 2018, 1:36 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 7:16 am
BenW wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 7:15 am

Class act!
Great to hear!

R. Wilhite

#116 Post by R. Wilhite » December 5th, 2018, 5:51 pm

There is nobody better in the business
Ryan Wilhite

Alex A

#117 Post by Alex A » December 5th, 2018, 6:54 pm

Can confirm, has been such a pleasure to communicate with.

I first got a 3 pack, going to get some more now next week. More than happy to support an upstanding guy with great wine.
Alex Attarian

Return to “Wine Talk”