1991 Chateau Montelena Cabernet Sauvignon 'Montelena Estate'

Medium deep ruby color. Excellent polished aromas of black currant with a hint of cedar and a hint of oak. The conifer touches are more pronounced than in any Bordeaux, but otherwise this strongly resembles a fine Haut-Medoc, leaning more towards Pauillac than Saint-Estephe.
The palate is moderately rich, very savory. The black currant flavors are joined by red fruit, currant and raspberry, with some spicy, almost peppery hints. This is fully secondary with as yet no tertiary notes. It is probably about at peak. The finish is moderately long, the whole package is seamless, but it lacks the intensity of very great wine. Rated 92.4, drink now but no rush.

Dan Kravitz

I drank a 1991 Vichon Stag’s Leap District Cabernet Sauvignon, last night.
That was a great California vintage.

This is one of my favorite California Cabernets. We bought a case when they were released and still have a few left. Thanks for the note.

Thanks,
Ed

Thanks for the note, Dan!!

Truly one of the iconic wineries of California!

Awesome note Dan, thanks for posting!

Not to thread drift too much, but has anyone had any of the more recent release Estate cabs lately? I’ve been really curious if they’re still built for the long-haul.

Thank you for the update Dan. I’d add it to my revisit list

I like this a lot more than you did. For me, it is close to a great wine but probably not a very great wine.

^ I’m with Howard on this one - had this for the first time recently, and the harmony and elegance were enough to push it into “great wine” territory for me.

I’ve only had the '91 Montelena twice, but the first bottle was one of the finest wines I’ve ever had. The second bottle was excellent but not at the same level. I’m guessing there’s a noticeable amount of variation across bottles of this 26 year old wine.

For me this has consistently been among the top California wines. Last time I tried it, I thought it was still too young.

+1. Once close to epic, the other merely very good.

Chateau Montelena really makes some kickass wine… I had a 2001 cab recently that was spectacular – and it wasn’t even the estate bottling! They’re one of a few producers who keep me from only buying french wine :wink:

thanks for the note! had this 3 years ago and have one left in my cellar…

Love this wine. I last had a bottle about two years ago and thought it had many, many years of improvement ahead of it.

My wedding year wine. I bought many single bottles from a lots of wineries that vintage, some also in mags. Montelena was only a single 750, but we still have it, along with a couple of mags of Dominus, 1 mag Ridge Monte Bello, a few Silver Oak Napa and Bonny’s. We usually pop them on our anniversary. It was a great year for me and for CA Cabs.

I had this wine a few years back and thought it was a 92.7. Maaaaybe a 92.8.

I actually prefer the 1997 Montelena Estate, which I think shows a more lively pure cherry palate and a kick of mint. It’s 6 years younger, but also just a little fresher profile and a really exceptional wine. Be interested to hear your take on the comparison if you’ve had the 97 sometime recently.

Had the '94 recently. Bordeaux-like. Pencil shavings and velvety blackberry pi. I gave it 93.14159265359 with a chance for an additional pi.

A bit of a thread drift but related to the bottle variation previously touched upon. It’s only with significant aging on bottles does one fully begin to appreciate the advantageous offered by larger formats. I’ve recently had several older Napa cabs out of both 750 ml and magnum formats (side by side comparisons) and been blown away by how consistently better then magnum bottling has performed.

As somebody who loves wines with bottle age, I’m completely with you on the advantages of magnums. As an empty-nester with a wife who is good for one or two glasses on occasional evenings, I am unable to take full advantage. At my annual national sales meetings, I take full advantage of well-aged big bottles. At the January meeting we swilled down a jug of 1991 Araujo Eisele, it was a very great wine.

Dan Kravitz

you should have posted this yesterday.