Best Bourgogne Rouge?

I only buy BR in the more ripe, forward years, like 1990, 2005, 2009, and, since it’s a great year, 2010. 2015 looks to be such a ripe, forward year. In these years, some of these wines are sweet, ripe pinot without much else, but some BR manage to have a little delicious complexity as well. Those are the ones I’d be looking for. Very few BR’s get reviewed, so we’re on our own here for the most part.

What are your favorite bourgogne rouges, for 2015 in particular?

Bought a 6-pack of 2003 Leroy BR and it was phenomenal and complex and right in the heart of its drinking window. Can’t speak for many others tho.

I don’t generally find Bourgogne Rouge a good value but I do really like Mugneret Gibourg’s version. Unfortunately it’s not priced like Bourgogne. I like Fourrier too.

I had a 2012 Arnoux Lachaux Bourgogne Pinot Fin last night that I thought was DELICIOUS (for the $18 cover charge any ways). Bright vibrant red Pinot fruit and all around a lot of bang for the buck.

In general not many BRs that I have found to be of any value, but the Arnouxs are definitely up there in my opinion.

Hubert Lignier

Agree with Tyler, Arnoux Pinot fin is often very good, as is Meo Camuzet.

1 Like

Barthod will make many villages wines run for cover and some 1er crus blush (couldn’t get rid if the emoticon when writing the word bl*sh).

I guess it depends whether we are talking about very tasty Bourgogne rouge in a $20-30 price range, or more “elite” Borgogne rouge by elite producers that punch above their weight though in a $40-60+ price range. It is interesting that to me there is an intermediate pricing “dead zone”. If I find a Bourgogne in that lower $20-30 price range that please me, I may buy it by the case as a house wine. Most of what I buy to cellar is at the premier cru and grand cru level. I am not sure what do do with the wines in the middle, though I continue to buy domestic Pinot, some CA but more Oregon, and perhaps they occupy that middle ground price wise for me. At the lower price level, I am enjoying the 2015 Capitan-Gagnerot Bourgogne rouge I picked up at Dan’s by the case as a house wine. I think that 2015 will indeed be a year for loading up with reasonably priced drinkers.

Patrice Rion Les Bons Batons. Every year.

There are several here I would like to try.
If price is no object for red, I like Mugneret-Gibourg.
The Barthod is extremely good as are Chevillon and Lafarge.

Hudelot is very good in ripe years and priced like an actual BR. 2009 and 2010 were very good.

Those are okay, but have you tried the Ridge Estate Cab? It’s easily the best value in Bourgogne Rouge.

1 Like

I worked my way through a mixed case of 2009/2010 Henri Boillot BR that was uniformly excellent. In fact, I think I drank them far too young - they all had the stuffing to evolve positively.

Roty Cuvee Pressonnier. The 2009 is drinking really well right now – combines dark ripe fruit with a meaty depth plus plenty of good supporting acid. Reminds me of a Leroy BR but at half the price.

I also like the Hudelot mentioned above.

Yup. [highfive.gif]

Note to all

I don’t really know Mason H. neener

Thanks, all. Not so interested in the $40 plus BR’s. So far it looks mostly like the usual suspects. I routinely go for the Chevillon, sometimes Lafarge. Robert, I tried a bottle of the Capitan-Gagnerot last night (and learned that you are now 4 cases in and counting. I do realize you need to supply the entire household, but no need to try to corner the market.) Very nice wine, but I wanted an extra dash of complexity (maybe it will appear with the remainder today). It does, however, portend well for the other BR’s that I’ve yet to try.

I have found no value in Bourgogne Rouge. All decent BR I have tried are $40+. Lucien Le Moin comes to mind.

Hmm. I feel a contribution to the “Most Annoying Burgundy Posts” thread is gestating/percolating…

But in the interests of board comity, I’ll refrain. [wink.gif]

To go with some that have not been mentioned above and can also be found in your desirable price range, I have had success with the Gros Frere et Soeur Hautes Cotes de Nuits bottling, the Mongeard-Mugneret Bourgogne and their Hautes Cotes de Nuits Les Dames Huguettes bottlings, Perot Minot to name a few … happy hunting!