Most annoying posts about Burgundy -- updated with bonus material

OK, just having fun here guys. See if you can spot yourself. I’m not throwing stones here. I’ve committed some of these sins. I certainly live in this glass house too! [cheers.gif]

Humble Brag
These posters in a not-so-subtle fashion let you know they’ve got a lot of juice in the wine world:
Yikes! It was kind of embarrassing to be tasting with Freddy Mugnier in sweatpants. But American Airlines had lost my luggage.

Gotcha!
These posters have a “Jeopardy”-like encyclopedic knowledge of all things Burg-related, and aren’t afraid to remind you of it:
In fact, La Romanee IS NOT the smallest de facto production of all Burgundy AOCs! Charlemagne holds that distinction.

Sub-group: The Grammar and Spelling Police will ignore main point of OP’s original insightful post, responding only to make semi-smug correction about poster’s inability to use apostrophes correctly (esp. plural possessives), it’s vs. its, improper spelling of palate , etc.

Voice of God
These posters have the security of knowing that they are always right:
Only a fool opens up any Grand Cru burgundy before its 10th birthday! It’s an insult to the wine and the person who made it.

The Good Ole Days
These posters share their disappointment about the passage of time, making sure to remind us that they “got” Burgundy long before the rest of us (variant of the humblebrag):
_I gave up my allocations of Rousseau when the Beze crept over $150. Fortunately, I have many cases resting in my cel_lar.

The Insiders Club
These posters regale of us intimate gatherings, where a dozen trophy wines are served to a group whose members are identified on a strictly need-to-know basis. Follow-up replies to the OP contain cryptic references and inside jokes that the rest of us will never get:
“Tuesday night seemed as good a night as any for an early look at how the 1993 Richebourg wines are developing. The Good Doctor, Jim and the Cincinnati Krewe descended on a SoHo boite that shall remain nameless (lots of well-aged Clos Ste. Hune still to be plundered off the list!)

Ali-Frazier I
These posters will go toe-to-toe, trading knockout blows back and forth without ceding any ground. Neither is going to give an inch in the debate about whether stems belong in the fermenter and they will sling back-to-back-to-back-to-back posts without any hope or (real intent) of changing the other person’s (or, indeed, their own) thinking.

The Grump
This poster has tasted hundreds of wines over the years and knows your palate better than you do. If someone posts a genuinely enthusiastic and happy note about a new release, the curmudgeon will reply with a curt note detailing why it’s either a) a pedestrian wine or b) not up to snuff to previous years.

The Provocateur
This poster is set in his ways, knows what he likes, buys exclusively in Burgundy, but will “try” a board fave CA pinot to show he’s open-minded. Slagging it for its overextraction and cherry cola notes, he will grudgingly give the wine 82 points and ignite a flame war among the closeted Williams Selyem lovers

The Milquetoast
This well-intentioned poster will offer a vague tasting note that doesn’t really tell you anything about the wine. Descriptors lack any grip, point of differentiation or tie to one of the senses: This is a wonderful wine, beautiful color, layers of flavor that delight the senses and speak of Burgundy.
The poster could be talking about a DRC Montrachet or a Pernot Bourgogne blanc. It’s up to you to decide!
If you see these words in a tasting note they simply don’t mean much: Awesome, interesting, amazing, incredible

More to come … [wow.gif]

5 Likes

ha!

this is gold matt. hope all is well with you.

cheers!

Gotcha!
These posters have a “Jeopardy”-like encyclopedic knowledge of all things Burg-related, and aren’t afraid to remind you of it:
In fact, La Romanee IS NOT the smallest de facto production of all Burgundy AOCs! Charlemagne holds that distinction.

Hmmm… which Charlemagne : Le Charlemagne or En Charlemagne ? [wink.gif]

1 Like

And, it’s all true! [welldone.gif]

One more bit-

Anytime one posts about a Burg that wasn’t very good, then

yer doin it wrong!

Didn’t stand it up long enough

Opened too early

Opened too late (rare)

Over decanted

Didn’t Audouze

Wrong temp

Wrong chow

And then there’s all the root-days shite

One of my favorites is a variation of The Good Ole Days, where the poster was wise enough to stash dozens of cases of a producer that no longer exists, and constantly waxes poetic about how there will never be anything else as good.

2 Likes

Lol, this made my day

1 Like

Best post on WB in recent memory. The only way it could be better is to add more examples. Bravo, and bonus points for any of us who can laugh a bit at his own expense.

3 Likes

Another one is the “excess shamer,” who chimes in to tell the tasters that it was garish and tacky to taste 8 grand crus at one dinner, and how he would just enjoy one of those over a candle lit meal and long evening with one dear friend.

1 Like

This is La Paulee week. Hopefully lots of Burg drinking posts.

1 Like

All kidding aside, many of those posts have a lot of meaningful content and a lot of us appreciate them.

The only posts I think are off-putting are where posters are snide, combative, or passive-aggressive over what are fundamentally matters of taste. Of all the things to be contentious about, I don’t think the merits of SQN vs. Rousseau or the circumstances in which someone should drink his/her own wines should be high on that list.

Hope you have stacks of those Rene Engel wines. [wink.gif] Nothing like it now.

1 Like

This is sooooo on point. I’ll add the:

Burgundy is excellent value for money

“Of course burgundy can outperform other wines at affordable price points. Just look at (insert name of prestige village bottling that poster gets direct at cellar door prices that no one else can obtain).”

2 Likes

The whisperer
Don’t mention Chateau Silence, we want to keep the secret to ourselves. (smug emoticon)

Great post! Love it.

1 Like

[welldone.gif]

Taste everything before you buy” guy.

While it’s great for those with the opportunity, this bigwig who jets over for industry events and barrel tastings will scold some guy who lives in Iowa and whose whole 2010 Burgundy investment is going to be 3 bottles each of 3 Premier Crus he hopes to enjoy 10-25 years down the road, because that guy bought his nine bottles based on reviews or something rather than after having tasted 2010s from dozens of producers.

3 Likes

let me fix that for you

[cheers.gif]

Spot on. There are actually quite a few posts that combine more than one of those!

1 Like

Now Ed that is annoying, but so apt… my bad.

1 Like

lol

[cheers.gif]

1 Like

Great post! If you would just match names with the descriptors, you would make it into the Hall of Fame post above :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Hal