Want to buy a few nice bottles w/ delivery to SFO... Online retailer recs please?

Hi everyone,

title says it all really… my SFO based cousin is coming over to Sydney next month and is willing to bring over 3 bottles (our duty limit before taxes are imposed on all the wines). Given the crazy prices and limited availability of many USA and European wines here in Australia, I’m hoping to pickup 3 mid/higher end bottles via a good online retailer who can ship to her address in San Fran and will accept my Australian credit card.

Suggestions for retailer and/or wines would be most welcome, and apologies if this has been covered elsewhere!!

Thinking along the lines of a Monte Bello, maybe with a touch of age, possibly a good white/red Burg and/or aged Chinon.

Cheers and TIA. [cheers.gif]
Tim

P.S That thread on ‘single greatest American wine’ has me drooling, but I assume most of those would be unobtainium without deep pockets or good friends.

http://www.klwine.com/

Yes.

K&L already mentioned. Wally’s also has a good selection. Benchmark, JJ Buckley, or Belmont Wine Exchange for more mature bottles.

You can select country and (for the US) state on Wine-searcher to limit your search for particular wines to California.

Agreed. What a fortunate coincidence that she lives in the same city as the best wine retailer in the country.

Rare Wine Company if you want some older gems:

About 10 mins away from SFO as well!

Go with K&L. She can pick them up in person for you if you want to avoid the risk of them being damaged in transit. I think they also handle deliver locally.

As others upthread mention, I also think they are the best retailer in the US.

I would also recommend K&L if you are specifically looking for back vintages. I have been buying from them for the last 25 years and their selection and service is excellent.

Thanks,
Ed

Flatiron in SF has a great selection and very good service.

Thanks for all the great suggestions folks, much appreciated. Looks like I’ve got plenty of browsing to do!

Might pop up here with a couple of questions on certain wines/producers/vintages…

Cheers
Tim