How long should I decant a bottle of 1987 Mondavi Reserve Cabernet?

Drinking tonight for a special occasion. Thank you!

Open, pour a small sip to see if it needs it. I would go for about an hour otherwise

I’ve had this a handful of times over the last six months after I picked up some bottles in a mixed action lot. Mine were all still showing very young. In fact the last bottle I opened up at dinner, and then recorked and finished the following night. It may not have been better, but it wasn’t really any worse for it either. I agree you ought to taste it first, but a couple of hours of air will likely do it well.

I have had more than a few bottles of this wine and sometimes they drink young and sometimes old. My preference is to Coravin a wine like this first a few days before and then make the call. This way I can leave it standing up for sediment and I will be able to make and educated guess on when to open it. Ironically the Reserves I have had from the 70’s always need an hour or two to hit their stride.

I have stopped decanting most wines, especially those that are older than say 15 years. I prefer instead to open, try a small sip, and then let the wine sit for a few hours to slow ox. I have become a fan of this method and have found that the older wines I open usually stay on point throughout an entire dinner - or longer.

Just my $.02 though . . .

I wouldn’t know since mine was corked… but I hope yours is amazing.

This. IMHO it is better to allow for the development to happen in the glass. We had a Mondavi Reserve 85 last Friday together with an Insignia 85 and both developed wonderfully in the glass.

I just had this last night. I thought it was at peak 60-90 minutes after opening.

Yes. P&P and let it evolve in the glass.

Very timely post, I’ll be opening one for 30th anniversary in a couple weeks. Thanks

Thank you all for the information. @Alan - very timely, indeed! My wife turned 30 years old, so we are drinking her birth year :slight_smile:

I took what same approach last year - pour a small taste and then slow of - with an '86 Mondavi, and it was absolutely singing. Stayed that way over the course of a couple hours.

Thanks gents for the timely info. I am planning to taste it shortly for a 30 year celebration.

That sounds better. I think we’ll celebrate my wife turning 30 as well [wow.gif]

i would pop and pour and enjoy it over several hours…

Too late now I know, but I recommend 90 minutes on this. Somewhere in the 90-120 minute range it will peak, then plateau. I hope that it shined! I am a fan of the 87s.

James, how was it? I’ve got one bottle left and have had my eye on it recently.

1987 = 30 years ago?!? Wow, where does the time go? :astonished:

Brad - sorry for not getting back to you sooner. The 87’ was exquisite. One of, if not the, best Napa Cabs we’ve drank to date. We used Bordeaux stems and just let the wine open up in the glass. The bottle must have been stored in ideal conditions. Magnificent!