Suggestions for wine list - Burg please

Calling all Burghounds, what looks good on this wine list?
IMG_0550.JPG

If the Dujac MSD is the Domaine, I’d go with that.

Please forgive my ignorance as a complete Berg novice but with the talk of GC Burg needing 15-20 years, wouldn’t a 2012 be very young comparatively. In other words, would you be missing out elements of what makes it a Grand Cru?

Both Dujac CSD ($379) and CDLR ($399) are decently priced for a restaurant. While young, it can give you some perspective of what a young burgundy made by a great producer would taste like. 2012 is a promising vintage as well.

Msd is not grand cru. It’s the $129 1er.

And yah it’s young. But it’s not like it’s bad. 15-20 shows it’s worth but if money is no object I would get the dujac clos de LaRoche/st denis.

I think it is a $129 villages msd

Yep. The listing is for a village wine. Maybe go with the Lafarge. Might still be open for business.

I agree the Dujac msd is a villages…and I’m not sure a 2012 will be all that open/friendly.

I’d get the 08 Simon Bize SLB Les Talmettes and have it decanted.

Go with the A.P. Villaine Mercury. 2014s are crazy young, but its a softer vintage and at $89, its not too of a insane of a markup.

the sylvain pataille is probably quite approachable and is one of the better values on the list.

I’d actually go for the Belle Pente. If you have to do burg, the sylvain Pataille.

Assuming that you aren’t “ready and willing” to lay out for the Grand Cru Dujacs, then I would suggest:

1 - Dujac - MSD (village) - as others have, and
2 - Pascal - Volany 1er Cru “Caillerets” (I’ve always liked the Caillerets bottlings.)

Enjoy!

If I were ordering, I’d go for the St Innocent because I’m poor.

I am a county employee on a fixed budget who really resents restaurant markups and almost always brings my own wine (I’m in Calif). I’m very cynical about restaurant wine lists. I bring a wine I paid $100 for and there it is on the list for $400.

However…

If I saw 2012 Dujac Denis for 379 I’'d squeal with glee. Call ahead to have it decanted hours in advance, or go there a day in advance, pay for it, then have them decant it. Once in a lifetime experience. If they can’t open it before you get there, get there early and have them very aggressively decant it. Let each sip sit in the mouth a long time to let it melt. I know I sound either sarcastic or melodramatic but this is a no brainer IMO. My guess is, this is close to or below retail. Which means you’re saving hundreds of dollars.

When drinking it, you can also ponder the effect of stem influence. Dujac does stem inclusion better than anyone else.

My impression of 2012 is that it’s a wild vintage, in a good way. I prefer it to the classic buttondown 2010.

I’m jealous.

Both the Dujac GCs look like excellent prices. Otherwise, go the MSD or the Lafarge. Raphet 2013 may be awkward now, but a very decent wine, typically made in a “restaurant” style

Where is this restaurant?

I continue to be amazed at the amount of infanticide committed in restaurants. I’d always sooner have a modest, but mature, wine than some super star opened a decade or more too soon. Why pay restaurant markup to open a wine for experimental purposes ( to see how it’s doing or simply what it tastes like as a baby).

(Moved, was wrongly attached to query about Resto location)

if I couldn’t bring my own, I’d drink iced tea. Prices high and vintages too young.

I tend to agree about the vintages with Richard and Alan,

Though there can sometimes be surprises with the young’uns. Assuming that byo is not an option, that’s why I’d probably go with the '02 Volnay, though not especially well-priced for a mere Village. Thought it was by a good producers, but maybe some of the folks (or all) who already have posted know better?

What happened to the other thread on this?