Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
User avatar
Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 865
Joined: July 10th, 2016, 9:30 pm
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#51 Post by Sean_S » March 21st, 2018, 5:20 pm

PHuff wrote:My wife and I took a trip to the Willamette Valley in the Fall of 2016. It was a fantastic and very memorable trip. We stayed in McMinnville at the 3rd Street Flats, and ate at Thistle and La Rambla. All were recommendations from this board and I would highly recommend all of them. As has been mentioned in this thread, McMinnville is a perfect place to stay in the Valley, very centrally located and a good town for walking, etc....

If you are still planning a trip to the Willamette Valley, I would highly recommend our one-week itinerary. We flew in to Portland and stayed there for two nights. It was our first time visiting Portland and there are lots of great bars and restaurants to try. It's a cool city that should be part of your plan. We then drove out to the Oregon Coast to Cannon Beach for two days. I have not seen many board members comment on this side trip (as most are focused on the wine scene), but you shouldn't miss it. Incredibly spectacular scenery, very wild and pristine coastline, huge rock formations in the surf that you can walk out to at low tide, etc.....and it's only like a 2-hour drive from Portland. We then drove from the coast to McMinnville (another only 2-hour drive), and spent three days there doing the wine thing. We visited Biggio Hamina, Goodfellow, White Rose, and many others along the way. A good time for sure. Then we ended our trip by driving back to Portland via the Columbia Gorge route, which was also beautiful scenery.

We found that the mix of city, coast, and wine country was a perfect scenario for our trip. A little bit of everything kept us fresh and invigorated. If it is your first time in that area, you can't go wrong. I can't wait to go back......
I agree with your approach and wish I had some more time to spend. I am trying to split my tasting between wines I know well but can't get enough of, Producers I have had limited samples of but want to try more, and some that I haven't had at all.

Care to share any highlights, lowlights, or learnings....
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates
1994 Ravenswood Petite Sirah Sonoma County
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard

User avatar
Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 865
Joined: July 10th, 2016, 9:30 pm
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#52 Post by Sean_S » March 21st, 2018, 5:37 pm

Rick Allen wrote:Sean,
One thing going on the weekend you will be in McMinnville is the dedication of the newly rebuilt Alpine St. The new Alpine is designed to be walking street that connects Goodfellow, Brittan, Eyrie, Westrey, and Heater Allen. The dedication will be on Friday from 11 to 1. I expect that stuff will be going on all weekend. We (Heater Allen) will be reopening our Tap Room/Bier and Wine Garden (only place in town with a Cameron wine on tap) that weekend as kind of a soft opening. Should be fun!

As far as dining is concerned, there are a bunch of good choices on 3rd Street, from La Rambla (tapas) to Bistro Maison (best fries in Oregon) to Thistle, Nick's, and 411. Community Plate and Valley Commissary are both great breakfast and lunch options.

John, the restaurant in Newport that you are thinking of is Local Ocean.
Love beer and Heater Allen was defintely on my list of must stops. Now that I know I have Cameron on Tap well that just makes it better.

Sad to hear Todd will not be around that weekend. So I have a tasting with Vincent Sat at 10:00, Then lunch at the Valley Commisary and now my afternoon is wide open. I prefer more AFWE leaning wines. Already tasting @Goodfellow on Friday.

Any suggestions for tastings in McMinnville preferably walking distance to 3rd st. on Saturday afternoon

Thanks to all for the encouragement and feedback. It's going to be an amazing adventure.

Sean
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates
1994 Ravenswood Petite Sirah Sonoma County
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2816
Joined: October 7th, 2009, 12:42 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#53 Post by dsGriswold » March 21st, 2018, 5:46 pm

If you have the time for a Columbia Gorge day trip, head to Hood River, there are a few wineries on both sides of the river. Then loop up Mt. Hood to Timberline Lodge on the way back. If you head further east to The Dalles and a few more wineries you hit the desert and the geology laid bare by the Missoula Floods is fantastic. I've lived here all my life and the Gorge never fails to impress. [wow.gif]
DennisG

User avatar
PHuff
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 611
Joined: January 31st, 2010, 5:19 pm
Location: New Jersey

Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#54 Post by PHuff » March 21st, 2018, 6:42 pm

Sean_S wrote:
PHuff wrote:My wife and I took a trip to the Willamette Valley in the Fall of 2016. It was a fantastic and very memorable trip. We stayed in McMinnville at the 3rd Street Flats, and ate at Thistle and La Rambla. All were recommendations from this board and I would highly recommend all of them. As has been mentioned in this thread, McMinnville is a perfect place to stay in the Valley, very centrally located and a good town for walking, etc....

If you are still planning a trip to the Willamette Valley, I would highly recommend our one-week itinerary. We flew in to Portland and stayed there for two nights. It was our first time visiting Portland and there are lots of great bars and restaurants to try. It's a cool city that should be part of your plan. We then drove out to the Oregon Coast to Cannon Beach for two days. I have not seen many board members comment on this side trip (as most are focused on the wine scene), but you shouldn't miss it. Incredibly spectacular scenery, very wild and pristine coastline, huge rock formations in the surf that you can walk out to at low tide, etc.....and it's only like a 2-hour drive from Portland. We then drove from the coast to McMinnville (another only 2-hour drive), and spent three days there doing the wine thing. We visited Biggio Hamina, Goodfellow, White Rose, and many others along the way. A good time for sure. Then we ended our trip by driving back to Portland via the Columbia Gorge route, which was also beautiful scenery.

We found that the mix of city, coast, and wine country was a perfect scenario for our trip. A little bit of everything kept us fresh and invigorated. If it is your first time in that area, you can't go wrong. I can't wait to go back......


I agree with your approach and wish I had some more time to spend. I am trying to split my tasting between wines I know well but can't get enough of, Producers I have had limited samples of but want to try more, and some that I haven't had at all.

Care to share any highlights, lowlights, or learnings....
Everyone has their own agenda when they go on vacation, to each his own.....My best advice for a trip to the Oregon/Portland/Willamette Valley area is to not make your trip all about the wine and wine tasting. There is so much to explore and see and enjoy there. I love wine as much as anyone, but spending a whole week in the Valley, on a schedule and visiting wineries and tasting wines was just too much for me. 3-days was enough. I wouldn't have traded spending a few days in Portland and Cannon Beach for anything. For me, it was the best of all worlds. City/Coast/Wine......Heaven
Paul

User avatar
Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4436
Joined: June 7th, 2009, 10:13 am
Location: McMinnville, OR

Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#55 Post by Rick Allen » March 21st, 2018, 8:20 pm

Sean_S wrote:
Rick Allen wrote:Sean,
One thing going on the weekend you will be in McMinnville is the dedication of the newly rebuilt Alpine St. The new Alpine is designed to be walking street that connects Goodfellow, Brittan, Eyrie, Westrey, and Heater Allen. The dedication will be on Friday from 11 to 1. I expect that stuff will be going on all weekend. We (Heater Allen) will be reopening our Tap Room/Bier and Wine Garden (only place in town with a Cameron wine on tap) that weekend as kind of a soft opening. Should be fun!

As far as dining is concerned, there are a bunch of good choices on 3rd Street, from La Rambla (tapas) to Bistro Maison (best fries in Oregon) to Thistle, Nick's, and 411. Community Plate and Valley Commissary are both great breakfast and lunch options.

John, the restaurant in Newport that you are thinking of is Local Ocean.
Love beer and Heater Allen was defintely on my list of must stops. Now that I know I have Cameron on Tap well that just makes it better.

Sad to hear Todd will not be around that weekend. So I have a tasting with Vincent Sat at 10:00, Then lunch at the Valley Commisary and now my afternoon is wide open. I prefer more AFWE leaning wines. Already tasting @Goodfellow on Friday.

Any suggestions for tastings in McMinnville preferably walking distance to 3rd st. on Saturday afternoon

Thanks to all for the encouragement and feedback. It's going to be an amazing adventure.

Sean
Check out Eyrie. They've been here for 50 years, and they still make fantastic wines. If you are on the AFWE side of things they are right in your wheelhouse, and they almost always have something with serious age that they are tasting. You have to walk past Eyrie to get to our Brewery.

User avatar
Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 865
Joined: July 10th, 2016, 9:30 pm
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#56 Post by Sean_S » March 21st, 2018, 10:02 pm

Sounds great. Just popped an 2015 The Eyrie Vineyards Chardonnay to try.... So far so good.

Sean
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates
1994 Ravenswood Petite Sirah Sonoma County
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2816
Joined: October 7th, 2009, 12:42 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#57 Post by dsGriswold » March 21st, 2018, 11:45 pm

For anyone who has not viewed it, check out "Grapes of Place" on the beginnings of the OR wine industry. https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A% ... xGbObr4Adw
DennisG

User avatar
Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 865
Joined: July 10th, 2016, 9:30 pm
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#58 Post by Sean_S » March 21st, 2018, 11:57 pm

dsGriswold wrote:For anyone who has not viewed it, check out "Grapes of Place" on the beginnings of the OR wine industry. https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A% ... xGbObr4Adw
Thanks Dennis.
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates
1994 Ravenswood Petite Sirah Sonoma County
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard

User avatar
Ian H
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 234
Joined: February 7th, 2018, 3:57 pm
Location: New Jersey

Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#59 Post by Ian H » March 22nd, 2018, 4:19 pm

PHuff wrote:
Ian H wrote:
PHuff wrote:My wife and I took a trip to the Willamette Valley in the Fall of 2016. It was a fantastic and very memorable trip. We stayed in McMinnville at the 3rd Street Flats, and ate at Thistle and La Rambla. All were recommendations from this board and I would highly recommend all of them. As has been mentioned in this thread, McMinnville is a perfect place to stay in the Valley, very centrally located and a good town for walking, etc....

If you are still planning a trip to the Willamette Valley, I would highly recommend our one-week itinerary. We flew in to Portland and stayed there for two nights. It was our first time visiting Portland and there are lots of great bars and restaurants to try. It's a cool city that should be part of your plan. We then drove out to the Oregon Coast to Cannon Beach for two days. I have not seen many board members comment on this side trip (as most are focused on the wine scene), but you shouldn't miss it. Incredibly spectacular scenery, very wild and pristine coastline, huge rock formations in the surf that you can walk out to at low tide, etc.....and it's only like a 2-hour drive from Portland. We then drove from the coast to McMinnville (another only 2-hour drive), and spent three days there doing the wine thing. We visited Biggio Hamina, Goodfellow, White Rose, and many others along the way. A good time for sure. Then we ended our trip by driving back to Portland via the Columbia Gorge route, which was also beautiful scenery.

We found that the mix of city, coast, and wine country was a perfect scenario for our trip. A little bit of everything kept us fresh and invigorated. If it is your first time in that area, you can't go wrong. I can't wait to go back......

You really nailed it with that itinerary in my opinion. I lived in Oregon for 20 years and those are all great spots with the added advantage of being very close to one another as you point out. When people ask me about a good week in Oregon centered around Portland and wine, I suggest 2 nights in Portland at the Governor (now called Sentinel) or Nines Hotels, a couple nights at the coast at the Stephanie Inn in Cannon Beach and then a few nights in wine country at the Allison Inn. Columbia River gorge is also breathtaking. If you have even more time, spend it in central Oregon in and around Bend - beautiful and you'll feel like you're in a different state than the one you were in but 3.5 hours away in Portland.
Jersey guys think alike.....

We stayed at the Sentinel in Portland and at the Stephanie Inn in Cannon Beach. Both were superb choices......

Very nice! Anybody like us that has spent time Jersey and Oregon know how different they are. About the only similarity is inability to pump your own gas at the station....although I hear that is starting to change in parts of Oregon.
@@S

User avatar
Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 865
Joined: July 10th, 2016, 9:30 pm
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#60 Post by Sean_S » March 25th, 2018, 10:26 pm

Anybody have feedback on this....

They have a dinner friday the 27th of April. I was thinking Thistle but my wife Katherine found this...

https://www.rnrculinaire.com/

They had raw bar a few weeks ago... Here's a description of their dinner last friday:

**SOLD OUT**6:30pm, FRIDAY, March 16, 2018 - Friday Dinner Series
$75.00
​Join us every Friday night as our chefs offer some delicious eats, and pair them with some of our favorite beverages. Grab your friend or partner and join us for a meal, mill about our new space. Enjoy menu below with paired with Wine, Beer, Cider, or Spirits in a communal social dining setting.
--> PRICE INCLUDES ALL FOOD, BEVERAGE, & GRATUITY.

Custom Menu of the Evening:
Pierogi/beet soup/crème fraiche
Pork belly/braised winter greens/duck egg/caraway mustard​ emulsion
Steelhead/carrot/spaetzle/Brussels
Chocolate torte/hazelnut/raspberry sorbet


Sean
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates
1994 Ravenswood Petite Sirah Sonoma County
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard

Todd Hamina
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 4259
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 2:16 pm
Location: McMinnville, OR

Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#61 Post by Todd Hamina » March 26th, 2018, 4:34 am

They rent out my kitchen. Very tasty.
Co-Owner, Biggio Hamina Cellars
-BiggioHamina

User avatar
R M Kriete
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 572
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 8:07 am
Location: Indialantic, Florida

Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#62 Post by R M Kriete » March 26th, 2018, 11:18 am

Todd Hamina wrote:They rent out my kitchen. Very tasty.
Glad to see SOMEONE using it [wink.gif]

Todd Hamina
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 4259
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 2:16 pm
Location: McMinnville, OR

Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#63 Post by Todd Hamina » March 26th, 2018, 6:55 pm

Dude, we had bakers in there for two years.
Co-Owner, Biggio Hamina Cellars
-BiggioHamina

User avatar
Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 865
Joined: July 10th, 2016, 9:30 pm
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#64 Post by Sean_S » March 26th, 2018, 8:58 pm

Thanks Todd,

Sent them email. Lets see what they have on the menu for the Friday we are considering.... Thistle will have to wait until Saturday.....

Sean
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates
1994 Ravenswood Petite Sirah Sonoma County
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard

User avatar
Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 865
Joined: July 10th, 2016, 9:30 pm
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#65 Post by Sean_S » April 3rd, 2018, 11:06 pm

Found this one.....

https://www.vogue.com/article/mcminnvil ... -eat-drink

Super stoked. we're going to have a great time. Appts booked. lots of opps for extra fun.

Sean
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates
1994 Ravenswood Petite Sirah Sonoma County
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard

User avatar
Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 865
Joined: July 10th, 2016, 9:30 pm
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#66 Post by Sean_S » April 4th, 2018, 12:09 am

And Thanks Dennis....



and



Those were Awesome. We
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates
1994 Ravenswood Petite Sirah Sonoma County
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard

User avatar
Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 865
Joined: July 10th, 2016, 9:30 pm
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#67 Post by Sean_S » April 4th, 2018, 12:23 am

And Thanks Dennis....



and



Those were Awesome clips. We have an appointments @ Cristom, Walter Scott, Goodfellow on whats going to be a glorious friday afternoon. We have been marathon tasting WV producers lately in preparation. The Eyrie Estate chard and latest Walter Scott Annes cuvee were both exciting wines to a first time taster. The Cristom Mt Jeff although a bit concentrated also was another enjoyable Pinot. Mixed in with some the 1st timer highlights I mentioned was a case of misc Cameron, Goodfellow, and Vincent (Pinots and Chards). They continue to really please my palate.
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates
1994 Ravenswood Petite Sirah Sonoma County
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard

User avatar
Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4436
Joined: June 7th, 2009, 10:13 am
Location: McMinnville, OR

Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#68 Post by Rick Allen » April 4th, 2018, 7:19 am

Sean_S wrote:Found this one.....

https://www.vogue.com/article/mcminnvil ... -eat-drink

Super stoked. we're going to have a great time. Appts booked. lots of opps for extra fun.

Sean
Getting mentioned in Vogue was a first for us (though much of the information is wrong).

Todd Hamina
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 4259
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 2:16 pm
Location: McMinnville, OR

Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#69 Post by Todd Hamina » April 4th, 2018, 10:53 am

Co-Owner, Biggio Hamina Cellars
-BiggioHamina

Todd Hamina
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 4259
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 2:16 pm
Location: McMinnville, OR

Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#70 Post by Todd Hamina » April 23rd, 2018, 10:04 am

Also, the Macaroons from Red Fox bakery in McMinnville are delicious.
Co-Owner, Biggio Hamina Cellars
-BiggioHamina

Todd Hamina
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 4259
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 2:16 pm
Location: McMinnville, OR

Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#71 Post by Todd Hamina » April 23rd, 2018, 11:43 am

There is a new hotel in Mac too, the Atticus. Recommended.
Co-Owner, Biggio Hamina Cellars
-BiggioHamina

User avatar
Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 865
Joined: July 10th, 2016, 9:30 pm
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#72 Post by Sean_S » April 25th, 2018, 10:49 pm

Headed out Thursday night. Packed and ready to go.....
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates
1994 Ravenswood Petite Sirah Sonoma County
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard

Pirom P.
Posts: 20
Joined: April 11th, 2018, 12:01 am

Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#73 Post by Pirom P. » April 26th, 2018, 2:48 am

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Bitter Monk in Mac! Good to refresh the palate after wine all day.

Great beer bar and you'll see plenty of winemakers hang out there. The free popcorn helps.
Phadoemchit

User avatar
Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 865
Joined: July 10th, 2016, 9:30 pm
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#74 Post by Sean_S » April 26th, 2018, 8:09 am

Thanks will check it out.....

Friday should prove to be a busy day:

Tasting at Cristom before lunch, then Walter Scott, then Goodfellow followed by dinner at Thistle...

Sean
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates
1994 Ravenswood Petite Sirah Sonoma County
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard

User avatar
Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1554
Joined: November 10th, 2015, 5:07 pm

Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#75 Post by Brandon R » April 26th, 2018, 8:13 am

Sean, get the, "Bread and Fat" as a quick starter as you peruse the menu at Thistle. It's great baguette with some outstanding lardo. It really gets the juices flowing!
B. Redman

User avatar
Scott Tallman
Posts: 3132
Joined: April 4th, 2012, 12:07 pm
Location: Seattle (Fremont), WA

Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#76 Post by Scott Tallman » April 26th, 2018, 8:33 am

Sean_S wrote:Thanks will check it out.....

Friday should prove to be a busy day:

Tasting at Cristom before lunch, then Walter Scott, then Goodfellow followed by dinner at Thistle...

Sean
That is an excellent day. Bitter Monk is good, but if you have time for beer in McMinnville, I’d hit Heater Allen first, then Allegory Brewing, then Bitter Monk. If you’re in Newberg and have time, Wolves & People is a cool farmhouse brewery with some tasty brews. Definitely try the La Truffe truffle stout if still on tap.
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 229
Joined: January 16th, 2013, 11:31 am

Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#77 Post by James Lyon » April 26th, 2018, 11:23 am

Sean_S wrote:Thanks will check it out.....

Friday should prove to be a busy day:

Tasting at Cristom before lunch, then Walter Scott, then Goodfellow followed by dinner at Thistle...

Sean
That's a great line-up on Friday. You probably have lunch plans, but the Blue Goat should be open in Amity.

Heater Allen is just down the street from Goodfellow. Perhaps time for a beer between Goodfellow and Thistle.

Is Woodard Wines still open? They close a little early, so I haven't been the last couple of trips to Oregon, but they have or had some nice older Oregon bottles.

And Thistle is wonderful.

I hope you have a great visit and I look forward to your follow-up.

Now, I can't wait to get back to Oregon in a couple of months.

James

Todd Hamina
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 4259
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 2:16 pm
Location: McMinnville, OR

Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#78 Post by Todd Hamina » April 26th, 2018, 7:57 pm

Pirom P. wrote:I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Bitter Monk in Mac! Good to refresh the palate after wine all day.

Great beer bar and you'll see plenty of winemakers hang out there. The free popcorn helps.
The curry powder on that popcorn is kinda special.
Co-Owner, Biggio Hamina Cellars
-BiggioHamina

Pirom P.
Posts: 20
Joined: April 11th, 2018, 12:01 am

Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#79 Post by Pirom P. » April 26th, 2018, 8:58 pm

Todd Hamina wrote:
Pirom P. wrote:I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Bitter Monk in Mac! Good to refresh the palate after wine all day.

Great beer bar and you'll see plenty of winemakers hang out there. The free popcorn helps.
The curry powder on that popcorn is kinda special.
lol the chocolate powder is... strange to say the least.
Phadoemchit

User avatar
Xavier Lavoipierre
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1171
Joined: January 18th, 2011, 9:26 am

Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#80 Post by Xavier Lavoipierre » April 27th, 2018, 5:18 pm

This thread is a great resource! We will be back in Oregon wine country at the end of June and beginning of July (with a couple of days in Ashland on the way back home). Staying in McMinville and very much looking to revisiting familiar places and exploring new ones. A lot of great ideas here. Can't wait!

User avatar
Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 6381
Joined: October 20th, 2010, 1:18 pm
Location: Portland/Newberg, Oregon

Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#81 Post by Jim Anderson » April 27th, 2018, 5:49 pm

No one mentioned the ultra-secret sushi/caviar bar with no name that is deep on grower Champagne and ages top, rare/winery only cuvees for five years minimum before putting them on the list (at retail mark-up only no less). Opens late, stays open late and they do an outdoor cigar bar and have a pretty wicked selection of bourbon. Amazing music and atmosphere. Hard to find out about. Harder to get the info on where it is. Thought I would mention it though.
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

User avatar
Michael Sterling
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 353
Joined: December 30th, 2010, 11:43 am

Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#82 Post by Michael Sterling » April 27th, 2018, 6:02 pm

Jim Anderson wrote:No one mentioned the ultra-secret sushi/caviar bar with no name that is deep on grower Champagne and ages top, rare/winery only cuvees for five years minimum before putting them on the list (at retail mark-up only no less). Opens late, stays open late and they do an outdoor cigar bar and have a pretty wicked selection of bourbon. Amazing music and atmosphere. Hard to find out about. Harder to get the info on where it is. Thought I would mention it though.
Oh, I love that place
ITB- Franny Beck Wines
https://www.frannybeck.com

User avatar
Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 6381
Joined: October 20th, 2010, 1:18 pm
Location: Portland/Newberg, Oregon

Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#83 Post by Jim Anderson » April 27th, 2018, 8:46 pm

Michael Sterling wrote:
Jim Anderson wrote:No one mentioned the ultra-secret sushi/caviar bar with no name that is deep on grower Champagne and ages top, rare/winery only cuvees for five years minimum before putting them on the list (at retail mark-up only no less). Opens late, stays open late and they do an outdoor cigar bar and have a pretty wicked selection of bourbon. Amazing music and atmosphere. Hard to find out about. Harder to get the info on where it is. Thought I would mention it though.
Oh, I love that place
Bet you’ve never been when Todd Hamina puts on a full length ballroom gown and sings “White Rabbit” while they are pouring out bottles of Special Club.
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

Todd Hamina
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 4259
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 2:16 pm
Location: McMinnville, OR

Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#84 Post by Todd Hamina » April 27th, 2018, 9:03 pm

I look good in a gown.
Co-Owner, Biggio Hamina Cellars
-BiggioHamina

Dav1d S@wyer
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 303
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 10:23 pm
Location: Houston

Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#85 Post by Dav1d S@wyer » April 27th, 2018, 9:13 pm

Great itineraries! We went last Memorial Day and will be back this Memorial Day. Here's what we did last year (note that we had a non-wine geek couple with us)

Day 1
Visited our friends in Portland. Nike HQ, company store, rose garden.

Day 2
Belle Pente
Eyrie
Westrey
Dinner at La Rambla

Day 3
Patricia Green
Valley Wine Merchants to pick up Cameron and other off the run wines
Argyle for bubbles
Stoller for the absurd scenery and rose
Dinner at Thistle

Day 3
Columbia River Gorge hikes

Day 4
Portland

In the wine country, we stayed at the most incredible AirBnB outside of Carlton just up the road from Gran Moraine. The owners are amazing and they have 29 acres surrounded by forest. They have donkeys, chickens, and other animals to play with. At night, we sat on the patio and saw every star in the sky. It was a no brainer to book again for this trip.

Next month we're going to hit more wineries in Eola-Amity and I'd like to taste at Goodfellow as well. We'll otherwise do a similar trip. We plan to end the trip on the coast rather than Columbia River Gorge this year though.

Jim - looking forward to seeing you!
IG: davidswine

User avatar
Bryan Price
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 513
Joined: April 9th, 2017, 2:10 pm
Location: Coto de Caza, CA

Re: Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#86 Post by Bryan Price » May 20th, 2020, 2:42 pm

R. Frankel wrote:
February 27th, 2017, 8:23 pm
"Open Late" what about just staying in Portland and driving down? Many choices for restaurants and hotels, and decent night life. Yes the drive in/out is dull, but it's not a crazy option. Urban experience vs. small town quiet, choose what tickles your fancy.
My comparison point is Santa Ynez valley and Santa Barbara. Most people stay in Santa Barbara as it is bigger and has more of a restaurant scene, but I prefer not driving 45 mins both ways after tasting wine all day.
“To alcohol! The cause of...and solution to...all of life's problems.” - Homer Simpson

User avatar
Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 865
Joined: July 10th, 2016, 9:30 pm
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Re: Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#87 Post by Sean_S » May 20th, 2020, 10:30 pm

Totally understand that. This thread brings back so many memories of that great trip. What an experience. I need to back soon.
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates
1994 Ravenswood Petite Sirah Sonoma County
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard

User avatar
Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1506
Joined: April 21st, 2015, 6:05 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#88 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » May 21st, 2020, 6:30 pm

Taking notes for an eventual trip once corona dies down...
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

User avatar
Bryan Price
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 513
Joined: April 9th, 2017, 2:10 pm
Location: Coto de Caza, CA

Re: Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#89 Post by Bryan Price » May 21st, 2020, 7:13 pm

Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 6:30 pm
Taking notes for an eventual trip once corona dies down...
Me also! This was a fantastic thread, almost sticky worthy. I have never been to WV but I have been Portland and Bend to visit family. Looking forward to going back as an adult interested in wine!
“To alcohol! The cause of...and solution to...all of life's problems.” - Homer Simpson

DIANAD
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15
Joined: January 6th, 2020, 10:23 am
Location: Cleveland Ohio

Re: Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#90 Post by DIANAD » May 23rd, 2020, 9:54 am

When we visited last year, we spent 2 nights in McMinnville (after 2 nights in Portland) and visited Hundred Suns, Grochau (with a Vincent and Red Electric tasting there), Walter Scott, Cristom, Franny Beck, Violin, Biggio Hamina and Eyrie. We then moved to Newberg for 3 nights and visited Patricia Green, Beaux Freres, Penney-Ash, Roco, Crowley, Rex Hill, Chehalem, Longplay, Argyle, Ayoub, Domaine Roy, Torii Mor, Archery Summit and Domaine Drouhin (we shared tastings). Loved all the smaller wineries and think we’ll stick to those from now on. This was our 4th trip to WV.
D A Y

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1460
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 4:35 pm
Location: University Place Wa.

Re: Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#91 Post by Mike Maguire » May 23rd, 2020, 11:24 am

DIANAD wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 9:54 am
When we visited last year, we spent 2 nights in McMinnville (after 2 nights in Portland) and visited Hundred Suns, Grochau (with a Vincent and Red Electric tasting there), Walter Scott, Cristom, Franny Beck, Violin, Biggio Hamina and Eyrie. We then moved to Newberg for 3 nights and visited Patricia Green, Beaux Freres, Penney-Ash, Roco, Crowley, Rex Hill, Chehalem, Longplay, Argyle, Ayoub, Domaine Roy, Torii Mor, Archery Summit and Domaine Drouhin (we shared tastings). Loved all the smaller wineries and think we’ll stick to those from now on. This was our 4th trip to WV.
Solid recommendation there, mirrors our stays in ore.wine country

Gautier Roussille
Posts: 31
Joined: September 2nd, 2010, 1:00 am
Location: France

Re: Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#92 Post by Gautier Roussille » May 24th, 2020, 1:15 am

I don't think Beckham has been cited. I've visited Oregon a lot in 2013-2015 and to me Beckham made amongst the best wines in Oregon together with a few other, already cited, ones (I need to stress Brittan too). Also, super nice ppl and breathtaking, isolated place, I loved the drive up amongst the huge, moss-covered tree, it's a sight you don't get in Europe.

Last year, I opened blind a flight of around 15 Oregon Pinot noir from 2010-2012 vintages that I brought back in those year, Beckham was the hands down winner.

And if you drive a little south, try Brandborg, great cool climate stuff including nice riesling.
Gautier Roussille
Domaine Guillemot-Michel, France

Steve Costigan
Posts: 71
Joined: July 22nd, 2018, 2:26 pm

Re: Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

#93 Post by Steve Costigan » May 24th, 2020, 8:22 am

This has been a great thread as I too am planning travel when “this is over”. I continue to be amazed by the knowledge of people on WB. I’ve never been to WV and that is next. I’ve only had about a dozen or so Oregon PNs and would like to get to know this area better (most interest in PN but also interested in riesling and pinot gris). What I like to do when I visit an area is to really try to understand both terroir and makers’ styles. Last few years one of my focus areas has been WA syrah and I think I really understand what the AVAs and producers are all about.

With that in mind, I am wondering if some would be so kind as to recommend an agenda for 3-4 days of tasting. Just asking about wineries to visit only. Ideally I usually hit 1-2 places before lunch and 3-5 places in the afternoon (yes, spitting). Not necessarily looking for private visits, I almost always visit tasting rooms, but I vastly prefer visiting when they’re not very busy and when the tasting room staff are knowledgeable and have some time to provide insights on the wines. Thanks!

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”