Where Are The Monte Rosso Grapes Going???

So I was shopping at the high-end Frys grocery store concept today, so naturally I had to take a look in their temp-controlled Cellar section (gotta do it, right). Obviously we’re all pretty damn upset about the recent news that neither Morgan nor Mike O will be receiving Monte Rosso fruit any longer, so needless to say this wine peeked my interest. Let’s get a glimpse into what the future holds for this zin-conic vineyard.

Not gonna lie, I REALLY wanted to hate this wine, and was fully ready to wax poetic about how this massive corporation has completely destroyed everything sacred about these grapes, and that they might as well rip the old vines out and plant pinot noir or something more profitable because the juice L&M is producing from Monte Rosso absolutely blows.

Well. I have to (reluctantly) say. Turns out this shit wasn’t half bad. Sexy purple color with a nice and softly expressive nose of violets, blueberries and pepper. Similar on the palate with blue fruits and spice/pepper taking the lead, but supported by enough acidity to keep this somewhat fresh.

Is it in the same league as what Bedrock and Carlisle have been doing with this fruit? Absolutely not. But it’s at least the same freaking sport, and was still a tasty moth full of zinfandel.

Would I buy it again at $36? Probably not…but that’s probably based on sheer principal, as opposed to what’s actually in the bottle.
*2013 Louis & Martini Gnarly Vine Monte Rosso is the wine (since my phone pics don’t translate well)
20170226_210932.jpg

Thanks, Rich. Interesting/great note for lots of reasons.

FWIW, Louis Martini (not L&M) have been getting Zinfandel from Monte Ross for at least a couple of decades (along with other varieties for even longer).

-Al

FWIW, the back label says Monte Rosso has actually been owned by Louis M. Martini (my apologies for tossing the ‘&’ in my abbreviation) Winery since 1938

Gallo owns both Louis M. Martini and the Monte Rosso vineyard.

Louis Martini has a low production wine from Monte Rosso that just got 100pts from Parker. They do Cabs, Malbec, Cab Franc and Zins from the site. While we lament the loss for some of our favorite winemakers it’s not like the fruit is going into a Calif Red Table Wine blend like Apothic.

Louis Martini owns Monte Rosso, Gallo owns LM. I know, same difference.

The winery sells it for $60. $36 is a bargain price.

Wow. It was a solid wine but $60 is REALLY aggressive.

What was the Parker 100 pointer, do you know by chance? Curious if it’s 100% zin or a field blend, etc. Thanks!

From what I was told it was a Cab.

I missed this news. Will Joel Peterson still get any for Once & Future?

Had an 80’s vintage Ravenswood Monte Rosso Zin about a year ago, sourced by Morgan & Chris. Although I came away with the impression that zin doesn’t transform quite as nicely as cab over 30 years, it was still a great experience. Even 30 years on it had plenty of life and definitely said “I am zin, and nothing else”.

Bedrock and Carlisle built this vineyards wine up over the years. So I won’t be buying it from someone else.

That would make sense.

Thanks Brian.

Unfortunately it sounds like Gallo will be keeping all of the Monte Rosso fruit moving forward :frowning:

This vineyard was iconic before Morgan was born.

But more better today.

My first Monte Rosso was a 2010 Rancho Zabaco Zin and it was awesome. So Gallo has been making some good juice from that vineyard for awhile.

Agree on that detail, Brian. The MR Zins from Joel/Ravenswood and Kent/Rosenblum lifted it to greatness. And Mike & Morgan
racheted it up anuther notch, I would say.
Tom

Yeah, I’m not going to say “because the fruit now gets sold to different wineries than a few years ago, I’m boycotting it.” That happens all the time - I assume it’s how Carlisle and Bedrock got started in most of the vineyards they make wine from.

But the new wines would have to stand on their own merits as to price and quality. I guess I’m skeptical, but I’ll see what happens.

This is unfortunately correct - I’ve heard from a couple reliable sources that 2016 was the last vintage that Gallo will sell fruit to other wineries.