TN: Voillot 2005 Volnay Champans

I decided to open one of my first bottles of 2005 red burgs tonight as my daughter is in town getting ready to try a case next week. Thus far, I’d been able to show uncharacteristic restraint and haven’t really begun plundering my 2005, the last vintage that I’ve purchased in any quantity. Voillot’s Champans was the first I came across that that seemed as good a candidate as any for dinner.

Beautiful rich purple with minimal aging showing around the rim. It seemed more a bit restrained on the nose though I’m recovering from a cold and that could have effected by abilities to smell. But it almost seemed muted. What did come through was pleasant enough, but certainly nothing to write home about. It almost made me worry that the wine wouldn’t be up to scratch. But I needn’t have worried. Deep and full fruit flavors, with black and sour cherry and as well as blackberry notes were there in abundance, along with a touch of earthy elements. Excellent depth and length. A real joy. I wouldn’t characterize it as mature, by any means, but neither would I call it infanticide to drink it. Any tannins it had are on their way to resolving, thought I suspect that the wine will continue to improve with age. No hurry at all. But it is a very enjoyable bottle now. 93 points.

One of my favorite Burg producers. Thanks for the note!

Like You Mike, 2005 was the last Burg vintage I bought heavy. And I’m still waiting for them to come around.
I understand It’s possible to enjoy many of them at present, but I’ll wait some more, hoping for the last complexity to emerge.

Thanks for posting a fine note.

-Søren.

Yes, I have a few of that same wine; nice note, thanks for posting (though I, like Soren, will probably
continue to hold off).
Interesting, Marcus, that Voillot is one of your favorites. I don’t see them offered much. Have you any favorites: this bottling, others?

Thanks for the note.

I also have several bottles of this - thanks to the strength of Meadows notes and scores.

me, too, but the note gives me hope, as I also own this bottle.

Turns out that I appear to have some of these as well. Nice to get a report that it is approachable. 2005’s seem to be spilt into 2 camps–those that are open for business now, and perhaps never did shut down, and those that are still shut down fairly hard.

With Voillot, I am always struck by the purity. We share a distributor in California and I have had opportunity to taste through the line up a couple of times. The VV is excellent and represents, IMO, a very good value for red Burgundy. Each of the vineyard designate with es is excellent, however I do gravitate to the Les Champans, and try to buy a little when I can.

Thanks, Marcus,

Good to know. That distributor must have good taste :slight_smile:!

Thanks, Marcus,

Good to know. That distributor must have good taste :slight_smile:!