Bill Allows Wine Retailers to Ship to Texas

Thought I’d post this here in the hopes that some Texas Berserkers might be inclined to get involved.

A new bill has been introduced in Texas that, if passed, would allow out-of-state wine retailers to ship to Texans. The Bill is HB 2291 and info is here: https://billtrack50.com/BillDetail/836931

It’s literally a perfect bill. In every way. The sponsor is a conservative free trade representative Matt Rinaldi from North Dallas.

I wrote about the bill here: Hallelujah —The Texas Wine Miracle — Legal Edition - Fermentation

If any of you Texan Berserkers do want to get involved or have contacts that would help Rep. Rinaldi move the bill forward you should contact his offices and ask how you can help.

The National Association of Wine Retailers will be working to move the bill. It’s an uphill battle, but one that must be fought for the sake of both retailers and Texas consumers.

Tom…

Thanks for letting us know. This is long overdue!

Who knew we had anyone in the Texas legislature that would support something like this!!

Exciting!

Really cool. Hope the bill doesn’t die from the pressure of the distributors.

John K:

Yep…who knew. But if you are a Texan, you should definitely reach out to Rinaldi and ask what you can do. They’ll likely as you to ask your representative to be a co-sponsor.

Rinaldi is from my district (I’m also John K by the way) and it’s about damn time the Texas legislators stop acting like they’re conservative free trade folks and then bending over backward to protect the three tier tax system and local distributors who dump loads of $$$ into meager state office campaigns. This has been a really long time coming.

It will also get killed very quickly. Wait and see. The hypocrisy on this issue is unparalleled in Texas.

disclaimer: Not claiming Rinaldi. He has a very mixed reputation but it’s a pretty conservative area of the DFW metroplex with loads of periwinkle collar mid-upper-mid class families that commute.

John K J…

Yes, the most likely scenario is that it dies. But the KEY is to get a committee hearing before it dies. That will help a lot to gin up publicity for the issue. The press in TX has been very anti-wholesaler and will continue to be. So this is the best chance in years to get the issue aired, talk about the wholesaler influence, talk about consumers and free trade.

That’s why it is important that you reach out to Rinaldi.

Tom…

I sent an email to my state representative. Here’s what I sent. Other Texans - feel free to use (or enhance) this as a starting point for your email. Also, here is how you can find out who your state representative is: Texas House of Representatives : Find My Representative.

Dear Representative RepName,

I am writing you to urge you to help Rep Matt Rinaldi sponsor bill HB 2291 (https://billtrack50.com/BillDetail/836931). This bill removes the inequalities consumers experience related to the purchase of wines in Texas. It opens up free commerce, and provides Texas consumers fair access to wines which otherwise would not be available due to the lock Texas distributors have on the wine market. Wine and alcohol are singularly the only retail sales items which are still restricted due to the archaic laws resulting from the repeal of prohibition. It is time to come into the 21st century and provide the Texas consumer fair and equal access. I hope you decide to please support this bill.

Best regards,
Your Name

Glazers and Republic will go all out to nip this in the bud.
But I’ll do my best, I contact Reinaldo and my guy and try to twist his arm, but again, I know for a fact he’s taken money from both distributors mentioned above.
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

I like this Bill guy

Trying to pass a bill like this can often be a multi-session process, which is frustrating at best. But, it appears there is a representative who is committed. And that’s the first step.

Yes, Glazers, Republic and Texas Beer Distributors will put pressure on the kill the bill. But my goal is to get a hearing on this bill, get attention for the issue, bring in the media, and alert impacted consumers to the issue.

Thank you, CJ, for reaching out to your Representative.

To get the hearing we’ll need consumers weighing in, social media activity, media and more.

Tom…

Tom is exactly toy right. Few things get passed in one session, especially anything that comes up from the grassroots, versus something being pushed by a big lobby. But each member here contacting his individual a State rep (and Senator) is important. I’ll do my part. I’ll contact Rep. Chis Paddie (R-09, Marshall) and Sen. Bryan Hughes (R-01, Mineola).

Having them place a face with a name can help. Try to find out when they will be in the district and go meet them. It a lot harder to tell someone “No,” face to face. And most if these guys get too little attention. Also, if we’re serious, we should also probably communicate by email or a bull item board group rather than on a public forum like this. I have a few relationships with members other than my Reps and could make a few calls there, too, though most of the guys I knew have moved on to higher offices, or are out of office by now. But I’ll can share in private who else I can contact.

But it looks like the bill was filed relatively late, which suggests the member wasn’t real serious about the bill; and it has yet to be referred to committee, which is not unusual, but doesn’t bide well.

I don’t live in Texas…but I might consider moving there if a bill like this was passed. To me, this should be allowed in ALL states. Freedom should be about being FREE to buy from anywhere in the US.

Mike,

The bill will be referred to a committee. But much of what you say is correct. You never know what happens when a bill gets some momentum, but this year I want to see it get a hearing. We have not hired a lobbyist which will make it a bit tougher. However, I 'm working on getting some coverage and visibility for the bill. We are also working on a website to accompany a public effort to move the bill forward.

Thank you for your help, Mike.

Tell your friends.

Tom…

Thanks Tom for the heads up and also to Joe for the letter. I just emailed my reps and will encourage all my friends to do the same. It would be a miracle if it moved through, but we have to start somewhere and I appreciate your efforts!

From the thread title I thought this was a done deal.
Good luck to my fellow wine lovers from Texas … [cheers.gif]

it won’t just be Glazers and other distributors, it will be the biggest home-grown retailers like Spec’s and Twin Liquors fighting, too.

Honest question, wouldn’t this bill allow Spec’s and Sigels to get out from under the thumb of these big distributors? Couldn’t they scratch around and find better deals, closeout deals, more boutique wineries that can’t catch on with the big distributors?
Can someone with retail experience weigh in on this, the good and the bad of our current system?

Also, my guy (Birdwell) is on the Business and Commerce Committee so I’m really going to pressure him.

Craig,

No, the bill does not allow Texas retailers to purchase directly from producers in any way beyond what they may currently do. The bill relates only to direct shipment to consumers.

However, Spec’s and Sigels would, under the bill, be able under the bill to ship direct to consumers throughout the state.

I emailed Representative Jim Murphy in Houston this morning.