Confirmed: Musigny Blanc Grand Cru is back for the 2015 vintage

Heard about and now confirmed:

Domaine Comte Georges de Vogue is finally elevating their “Bourgogne Blanc” to Musigny Blanc Grand Cru, after a 22 vintage absence. Apparently they feel that the vines are of sufficient age now to return to that designation. This is the only Grand Cru AOC for Chardonnay in the Cote de Nuits.

Well, it´s interesting info, thanks, but what I´ve tasted as “Bourgogne blanc” over the last 22 years is not THAT exciting … I don´t expect a great jump upwards in quality in 2015 … [scratch.gif]

But there WILL BE a jump in pricing … from 200/250 to 700-900+ ? [shock.gif]

I don’t think so, why should they charge more than the Musigny rouge - which is unquestionably a top three site in all of Burgundy. Maybe line priced would be my guess. That would raise it’s price over the Bourgogne Blanc, but not more than half again. Demand might drive things a bit higher, but there was already demand for it anyway!

I feel like I should load up on the bourgogne blanc now due to the inevitable price increase that will move it up when the official musigny blanc arrives. ;D

But like Gerhard said, the wines aren’t worth the tariff.

Agreed, I’ve only had a couple vintages of this (when it was Bourgogne blanc), but what I had certainly wasn’t as good as many white burgs at much lesser prices.

from 2013;

When production of Musigny Blanc starts again, possibly in 2017, it’s unlikely that more than 2,500 bottles will be released.
Producer Profile: Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé - Decanter

What about their Musigny rouge? Is that worth the tariff?

I was not talking about off-domaine prices …
and the Musigny blanc is/will be far rarer - only 0.66 ha …
(but good for the fans if I´m wrong)

Well, Musigny is certainly one of the 5-6 best vineyards in Burgundy for reds - and Vogüés example usually is one of the 2/3/4 best … so if a fine Grand cru is worth 5/6/700 bucks for you - yes …
but all that cannot be said about the white Musigny … (IMHO)

IMNSHO, HECK YES! I’m a big fan of the red. I haven’t had much wine, although I just did inventory some 83 Blanc (yes, labeled Musigny), and so counted me as inspired.

Just drank the 2012 “Bourgogne” Blanc a couple of weeks ago with some other Berserkers when I was visiting Chicago. Perhaps it was just too young, but to me it came across as pretty oaky and overall not very pleasurable. Interesting to try, but mostly an academic exercise at this point. I’m certainly not going to buy it at current Bourgogne Blanc prices, much less whatever they will charge when it is actually labeled Musigny again.