TN: 2010 Seven of Hearts Pinot Noir (USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley)

• 2010 Seven of Hearts Pinot Noir - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (2/21/2017)
    Opened approximately 2 hours prior to serving. Pours a dark ruby. On the nose there is peppery spice, cola, dark cherry and raspberry, along with hints of wood and smoke. Everything is nicely balanced. Softer than expected on the attack, the acidity comes in later across the palate. Tart strawberry and black cherry, earthy black peppercorn, dried oak, and dusty forest floor notes all work together. While not the most complex wine, this is very satisfying, ticking off all the boxes for flavor, varietal typicity, vintage accuracy, and it also seems to also be drinking with more youth than expected. Goes really nicely with food too.

Posted from CellarTracker

How was their oak influence? I’ve had very little wine from them and a few were way too oaky and the other few were very nicely balanced.

Your notes listed loads of variety on the nose and palate but you said it’s just average?? :slight_smile: After reading your notes, I’d guess it’d be a 93 or higher point wine if it was well balanced. Maybe I just can’t detect all those things on a more average wine.

I started buying with the '12 Curmudgeon Cuvee and back filled with numerous '11s, but none of the '10 which I find one of my favorite vintages across many producers. The bright red berry just gave me the urge explore PN on a scale not done before. [wow.gif]

I think that the bottle I had showed some oak, to be sure, but not an egregious amount. It folded in well with the ripeness. When I said it’s average, it wasn’t a knock as much as commentary on the fact that it’s Byron’s WV-level bottling. His single vyd wines always show much more depth and complexity for me. 93 points…that’s super high for me to rate…so I try to avoid the numerical score stuff :slight_smile:

Just had the 2012 Curmudgeon Cuvee this evening in respectful honor of the anniversary of my FIL’s passing. Beautiful wine consumed in celebration of a great man.