Board darling, Copain?

Seems like the Board had been quiet about this winery since the sale. What’s the general assessment of quality and direction of the winery, post-sale?

I allowed myself to drop off the list, but am curious. Even my local guy doesn’t carry Copain anymore.

I thought you were asking your friends if you were a board darling. And you are.

Frank Murray has had a busy schedule.

Well I know that, and this was asking them to forward me their Copain.

Frankie was in O-Town recently, but sadly had no Copain in his trouser pockets.

Robert-Do you know if Copain has made/released wines since their sale? It seems that it has not been long enough to make the judgments you are asking about. I was also not aware that Copain was a “board darling” or what that means. I have been on their list for many years now and have yet to be disappointed in the wine.

Cheers,
Curt

I dropped off their list as well after the sale, but that wasn’t the reason for stopping. I had just accumulated way too much Copain wine in my cellar, wasn’t consuming as fast as I was acquiring.

I have 4+ cases and am really looking forward to opening each and every one of the wines. Wells is a talented winemaker and I have yet to be disappointed in any wine he has sold to me, let alone have tried. I do have a confession to make though, picked up a couple bottles of '13 Wendling on a fire sale recently - love that wine.

I would venture if anything with the sale, things could only improve quality wise. Wells is too young to ride off into the sunset…

We aren’t even close to having tasted anything made since the sale. But with Wells still in charge, it’s hard to see why they would change a lot, much less get worse.

I still think they might be my favorite California Chardonnay producer, at least if you factor price in.

Not much has changed since the sale, Wells is still in charge of winemaking. Haven’t tasted anything made from the 16 vintage, but I wouldn’t expect anything to change at all until this upcoming 17 vintage, more in terms of potential fruit sources than in winemaking.

I’ve customized my first Legacy Club shipment of the year.
Definitely still ‘in’

Cool! I dropped the list for other reasons, but the sale certainly cemented my decision for me. I’ll pick up bottles here and there. I think these are excellent restrained and nuanced examples of Cali Syrah.

Prices from the distributor have increased in our market. [titanic.gif]

This board and Robert should get a room.

Speaking with Wells recently he is excited about the change. Jackson Family Wines has access to vineyards that Wells never did. He now gets to experiment with new sites. If it works he labels it, if it doesn’t JFW can bulk it into a blend. I dropped off the club a couple years ago mainly because I felt like I was not in their demographic for customers although I still source the wines in the secondary market when a value is perceived.

[scratch.gif]

Wasn’t Copain looking for larger committments, like by the case purchases?

I just tasted there last week and loved the wines. Nothing really else to add.

I think it was a case a year minimum and most the wines were over $50. I’m not part of that demographic.