Assessing space for possible home cellar usage

Hi all,

I’ve been less active on Berserkers lately, primarily because my partner and I have recently bought a house. I never realised how much damn work goes into purchasing a property; nor was I prepared for the sobering reality that significant debt incurs on the psyche from having a mortgage as well as the negative impacts associated with the decimation of my fortnightly wine spend. Regardless, none of you are reading this to hear me whinge about that!

Put simply, I’d like to know if there are generic rules or formulas I can use to accurately assess the rough storage capacity of any given three dimensional space to provide a round about indication as to whether the space will accommodate the amount of wine I’d like to store in said location. I’ve already got an idea of where I’d like to build my cellar in my house. The location is good but I’m not sure if the space will accommodate the 400-500 bottle cellar I’d like to operate.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.

The capacity will be limited by the dimensions of the space. If a space can’t handle double deep storage on both sides, it will obviously have much less capacity than one that will. Since you already have the space in mind, you might want to share it with us.

A (very) rough rule of thumb is that since a case of wine occupies approximately 1 cubic foot, you will need at least 2 cubic feet per case for very dense storage and more like 3-4 cubic feet for other designs. You have to have aisles, access, etc. But if your space is particularly small or oddly shaped, the above rule won’t work. 40-50 cases can easily be accommodated in a cellar that is no more than 5’W x 4’D x 8’H.

Then triple the space to handle lots more capacity than you think you will ever need.

Cheers Chuck, that’s some great information. I’ve just converted my measurements from metric to freedom units, the rough area of my hopeful cellar will be 4.4 feet wide, 5.1 feet in length, and 7.2 feet in height. I could probably even squeeze a bit more height in there, but not much.

And I hear you on the tripling of what’s required. That said I can’t find anywhere else in or immediately around the house that would really be suitable for a cellar. My only other options are to build in the 4 car shed (aka my new rocket bunker) or dig into the side of the hill our house is on. The shed is less than ideal for many reasons and the side of the hill, whilst obviously advantageous from a passive cooling perspective, would quite probably be incredibly expensive. The space proposed above, whilst not huge, is the most logical solution that I’ve been able to come up with from a convenience and cost containment perspective.

The above space can stack quite a few cases of wine but the logistics of getting to the wine would be difficult especially with the more you stack. So you could use it as an intermediate wine store area by adding a cooling system.

I would suggest you to build a bigger cellar by digging into side of the hill. You are going to need it. Hopefully its not west exposure.

Freedom?

I’m wary of suggesting this, as it’s the route to uncontrolled buying, but what about a combo of using that space for wine to drink, whilst using offsite storage for stuff that needs to be left to mature?

I´m really not a fan of offsite storage (if avoidable) - no possiblity to grab a certain bottle if you need/want it, and it will add significately to your costs per bottle over time, not counting the logistic of in/out … and the problems to check the condition if a new delivery arrives.

The absolute minimum space for storing 12 standard bottles is 30x40 x 30cm deep (12x16 x 12"), 50cm (20") deep if two bottles neck to neck. A bit more is recomended in case of “luxury heavy broader” bottles … and still more if you´d like to have single bottle racking …
All that doesn´t count racking construction, depending on the system and material.
In addition you need space for easy access … and a door!

So on the shorter wall you might be able to store a maximum (!) of 4 x 5 cases of 12 bts = 240 bottles (480 double deep), on the longer wall 5 x 5 cases = 300 bts. (600 double), minus at least 60 bts for the corner.
Add a 3rd wall (depending where the door is) … and there should be some (enough?) space in the middle for moving around.
One wall double and the opposite single deep + a 3rd wall might be the maximum.

So I guess some 1000-1100 bottles might be the maximum capacity if very tightly packed and intelligently constructed … but definitely not much space for dancing a twist … neener

The note by Chuck (to triple the space) is not bad - at least double it … in my experience the space is never enough over a longer time.

Has anyone used racking that is 3-bottles deep? Granted you might have to remove two bottles and have something to reach into the racking to get the last bottle but if the depth is there, it might significantly add capacity on at least one wall (or maybe two walls).

I am considering triple deep for a new home cellar that I will be building but am curious as to its viability (I don’t mind the little bit of hassle in dealing with the third bottle since capacity is my goal).

You will need more space for triple deep than 1.5 x double deep … at least 32" (80cm) - you cannot stick the necks side by side.
Moreover it makes only sense for multiple bottles of the same wine - otherwise to find/get something particular you might have to remove 2 rows … headaches !

The problem I see with that space is the ability to access the racking. If double deep on one wall the space would hold your bottles without problem but that does not leave you much room to squeeze in and/or crouch down for one on lower racks. Another 12" wider would be great.

Your best bet IMHO, if the layout allows, is double deep along the 5’ wall. Leaves just over 24" of walking space inside. That is going to fit about 500-550 bottles in individual bottle, double deep racking which is generally space efficient and usable. Can cram more in but soon things become impossible to get to or to load.

I like to use the Apex wizard for these rough calculations. I have no affiliation but have purchased from them in the past without incident. Link to the wizard:

You can just double the bottle count to go double deep (not an option for the wizard but always an option). One wall with individual storage gives you 273 bottles, double deep nets you 546 bottles:

If you don’t want to go double deep you could fit 471 bottles, some of which are mag/champagne utilizing 3 walls.

I agree with others here, build more storage than you need. It ALWAYS fills up.

Just FWIW: individual bt. storage is very practical, but space consuming … no problem if there is enough …
But if you usually buy wine in quantities of 6 or 12 bts. each (even if different cuvees/same producer) bins for 6 or 12 bottles need less space (how much less depending on the thickness of the racking system …).

I have all 3 in my cellar: bins for 6 and 12 bts. as well as individual storage (and space for original cases/cartons) …

I have a very dense system. Double deep bins, each bin can hold 3 cases of even oversized bottles. A cellar tracking system is essential with such a system however.

Yeah I know bins are denser when full. Just for me a pain to monitor, rarely 100% full and then it ends up being not that efficient. I used to use bins and went to all single for the flexibility and ease of use. OP may know what works for him. I actually use wood cases for round lots and stack those up.

Thanks for all the thoughtful responses everyone, I really appreciate it. One week from today I’ll have the keys in hand and will be in the process of moving. I’ve got quite a bit to consider before I start the formal process of cellar construction. I’m sure I’ll be back here to ask more questions.

And of course when it’s all said and done I’ll share some snaps of the completed space, wherever it ends up.

Yes, imperial measurements. Here in Australia I refer to them as Freedom units.

I’d love to leverage off site storage but my partner is less than enamored with the off site paid storage option.

Echoing what has already been said: put in more space than you think you now thing you need.

Make sure to budget space and funds for the retina scanner.