TN - 2014 Barahonda Campo Arriba - Parker 93?

I’m trying to see the 93 points in this wine but also trying to get my head around this wine. This is one of those wines that brings to mind the pro critics vs CT drinkers scoring debate. I fell for the Last Bottle $12 deal and gambled on the high score low price. Firstly describing and scoring wines is hard. So here’s my note:

91 points - Dark red/dark purple color with medium density. Floral acacia notes on the nose. Also blackberries and violets - that floral perfume thing. First thing I notice in the taste is the Rhone influence of tangy, peppery infused blackberry flavors. Medium to full body. Sassy minerals and some vitamin notes. Steak on a grill with Montreal steak seasoning type of flavor. Rhone-like. Nice medium tannic structure on the finish. It has the structure and the Mourvedre signature aligned with ripeness to push me over 90 points. But because I believe it will never become a smooth ethereal “resolved” wine and will always be tangy it gets the 91. Yes it’s definitely worth $12 but I wouldn’t lay in a case because I’d rather take 1 bottle of 2012 Clos La Gaffeliere for every 2 of these…

RP gave 93 points and wrote:

“The 2014 Campo Arriba comes from one of the highest elevations in Yecla and it’s a blend of 70% Mourvèdre, 20% Syrah and 10% Grenache aged three months in small French oak. This winery, started in 1925 by the Candela family, has really hit pay day with this amazing value. Blackberries, blueberries, acacia flowers, and chalky minerality dominate the aromatics and flavors. It is full-bodied, the price is absurdly low for a wine of this quality, and I suspect it can age nicely for another 5-6 years, although its true value is its exuberance, fruit purity and density.”

His note is on but score is ballooned IMO.

Here’s another CT note - "Almost opaque purple-red, medium legs. Very intense purple fruit bouquet. Has a real presence in the mouth, a bit of effervescence and strong purple fruit. This is a real bargain that deserves case purchases for everyday consumption. 4-12-16-8: 90/100

No effervescence but perhaps the tangy quality is reminiscent of anything with bubbles. Case purchases only if you like tangy Mourvedre.

Here’s another - 91 Points
“Purple in color this medium bodied wine exhibits an array of red and purple/black fruit and spice. Interesting notes of red licorice, cherry liqueur, and tangerine also make an appearance. Medium+ acid and tannin, and a long finish. It will be interesting to follow this wine over the next few years”.

The tangerine is that tangy thing IMO. Another CT taster cited “grapefruit and smoke” and I can see that. But the tangy, minerally, peppered meat, blackberry nature of this wine gives me enough complexity to rise above the typical 90 point oaky fruit bomb.