On the cusp at SQN!

It’s post card season once again, and after a 10 year wait, just received the ‘maybe soup for you’ email.

Crazy to think it was a lifetime ago that I signed up for this. Offers for 2013 incoming next week. As a noob, do buy/pass decisions on the whites affect allocations of the fall EBAs?

I think that if you don’t buy the white, then you are removed. But this was long time ago for me as my last red was 2007 vintage, then I decide not to buy the white and was removed. I was buying since 1997.

I will no longer be ordering SQN. I’m sure this will make someone happy, maybe you!

This offer should be the EBA’s

You’re welcome. :wink:

ah, that would explain the price tag. It’s been so long I’ve forgotten the release schedule. I’m still stoked about finally getting an allocation. Equally as tittilatid that making a list can still be ‘a thing’ for me. I think if I make Scregale this year, I may have broken the space/time continuum thing, complete with flash backs of helicopters, African Safaris with the Todd, and alt.rec.wine.

Thanks Orlando - I still have light utility for obscure whites. I prefer Champagne in that color, but I can buy into what they are doing for a little while at least.

You sound excited, Jody. Did they start making bourbon or something? [basic-smile.gif]

No wine is worth waiting 10 years for to be on a list. Spend your money on a winery who appreciates you for being a customer. Just my worthless two cents lol.

1. I agree.

2. This hobby doesn’t require one to be pragmatic at all times; it’s sometimes just plain fun to get giddy with getting onto a list after a decade.

Cheers,

J

Way better to spend money on a wine like port that needs to be cellared for 10 years before it’s even kind of enjoyable. :wink:

That’s what 20/30/40 year tawny’s are for. To keep you happy until your VP ages :wink: lol

How does SQN having a long wait time before making the list equal poor customer appreciation?

I remember just calling Elaine at SQN when I couldn’t afford an offering now and then and I stayed on the list. But I think being a customer a long time has helped. It’s also possible that my calling allowed her to sell the allocation to another eager customer rather than seeing it on WineCommune for an obvious flip. I’ve bought everything in the last few years though so maybe the policy on skipping allocations has changed with demand. Or maybe other’s didn’t communicate with SQN when they skipped an offering and were pushed back to the bottom.

I believe there may be other syrah-based, grenache-based reds out there that compete with SQN for less money but it’s more about history to me and the fact that year in and year out the reds offer a great wintertime wine drinking experience. I could go out and try other reds but I’m sure a few would disappoint and that’s money spent. SQN always delivers with big, ripe fruit mixed with great structure.

Their whites are expensive too but again they are singular, rich, big wintertime wines!

Is the offer out yet?

lol, let’s not get too crazy - heck I just discovered Charbay and thought I’d met my ‘excitement’ quota for the year.

To Jeremy’s point, I’ll take my pleasures where I can find them. I think as with any hobby, interest wanes with time. This particular offer is just a nice reminder to me of how much has transpired and changed in the wine community and its people over the last decade.

Communication is important with SQN. If, for example, you tell them money is tight so you are not buying/buying less they will understand. Just let them know. Very sweet people and excellent customer service.

Does anyone know when the release letter comes out? I haven’t got the rejection letter yet…

Probably next week with the offers.

offer out

Offer email is out, letter to come later this week.

Any scores out there from the wine critics?