Sandlands February Offer

Coming next week per Tegan’s Instagram. Exciting stuff!

“ownrooted#Sandlands release #5 coming at you next week. 7 wines from the 2015 vintage 2xCheninblanc-1xtrousseau-2xcarignane- 2xmataro www.sandlandsvineyards.com

Recently popped a 2012 Trousseau and I thought it was incredible. Reminiscent of a SC Pinot Noir to me.

Thank you for the info. Looking forward to the Mataro particularly- loved the one I got before. What happened to the reported ‘Green Hungarian’ wine? Very excited for this release!

I’ll have to pop a bottle this week to assess. I really should pass.

Awesome! Easily one of the releases that I look forward to most each year!

All in for everything I can get, minus the trousseau probably

I’ll have to open something from a previous release this weekend in celebration!

Pure speculation, but I believe that the Kirschenmann vineyard has a very tiny amount of Green Hungarian (maybe a couple of rows?) Perhaps not enough to release and be able to keep list members happy? I was hoping to see it too.

Mataro!

Thanks for the report. I’m delighted to see the Mataro back (last vintage was 2012), it’s been my favorite among Tegan’s reds. The Chenins have been very good, but generally have found they need at least a few years to wake up.

I wonder which Chenins they are though, Tegan has made quite a few different ones. There has been an Amador, a Napa, and a ‘California’. The Amador has been consistently good, though I think the other two were only produced from the 2014 vintage (and released last year).

Overall not sure there is a better QPR producer in California, although Sandler’s pinots are also huge values.

Wow! I have been thumbing through winery names in my mental Rolodex, trying to think of what release(s) are imminent.

I would not have guessed that Sandlands would be around the corner! This release will be the “Enz Vineyard” Mataro (in the Lime Kiln Valley) that Ian Brand had foretold, I suppose?
920x920.jpg

Oh lord I’m stoked, in for entire allocation + max wish list…take my money!!!

from the pic it looks to be (all 2015’s):

Amador Chenin
Kirschenmann Chenin
Sonoma County Trousseau
Contra Costa Carignane
California Carignane
Contra Costa Mataro
San Benito County Mataro

I foretelled. And you should get in on it. Tegan does a great job.

Aside from “next week” (this week?), does anyone know the precise date of the Sandlands release?

I am very excited!
10725119_1823506871265957_3061778895649898496_n.jpg

Sandlands produced a Mataro in 2010 and 2012. Anyone have any idea how the two Mataro’s this year relate to the former ones? Same vineyard? New ones?

This may be a stupid question, but is there any difference between Mataro and Mourvèdre?

Same grape, different name.

This seems to be a different vineyard from the 2010. That one was a mix of two vineyard sites; one in Contra Costa City and the other in Amador.

I don’t know about the 2012. I think I somehow missed that one.

There’s only been one Sandlands Mataro, the 2010 which was included in the very first release. If a 2012 Mataro was produced it wasn’t released to the mailing list.

Kind of like David Bowie’s alter egos. On another thread this is the subject of heated debate. Which name for mouvedre aligns with which phase of Bowie’s career? For what it’s worth, I think Mataro = Thin White Duke and Monastrell = Ziggy Stardust.