2007 CdP is disgusting

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
A. So
GCC Member
GCC Member

2007 CdP is disgusting

#1 Post by A. So » February 2nd, 2017, 9:54 pm

#ALTERNATIVEPAIRINGS - Chicago, IL (2/2/2017)

There is a (possibly apocryphal) story of Robert Parker advocating 2007 Chateauneuf-du-Pape (en magnum) as a pairing to sushi. As this is the tenth anniversary of the vintage, and since Robert Parker is a critic of such great renown, we decided to follow his sage advice and try this pairing.

Real Wines
A few Champagnes and a dessert wine were served at this dinner -- they were all reasonable beverages.
  • NV Bérêche et Fils Champagne Reflet d'Antan - France, Champagne
    2009 base, 6 g/L dosage, May 2014 disgorgement. It's odd. I had had this exact same disgorgement before, and thought it disappointing, but this bottle was showing very well tonight. This had a great balance of freshness and oxidative character, and there was plenty of white fruit here. Lots of taut acidity and chalkiness rounds out a really full-bodied champagne. (93 pts.)
  • 2007 Roederer Estate L'Ermitage Brut - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley
    This is a surprisingly sweet bottle of sparkling wine. There's some pronounced red delicious apple flavours here (but also with a fair bit of acidity), as well as a biscuity character. It's not bad, but the sweetness really throws me off a little bit. (85 pts.)
  • NV Agrapart & Fils Champagne Grand Cru Terroirs - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru
    Hah, twice in three days. This is pretty much the same as the last bottle I had -- good taut acidity and white fruit. Super dense chalkiness on the palate, but I feel that a little bit more density as far as flavour is concerned would do this wine well. (88 pts.)
  • 1991 M. Chapoutier Banyuls Vin Doux Naturel - France, Languedoc Roussillon, Roussillon, Banyuls
    From half bottle. This is like a Madeira without all the nice things that make Madeira Madeira. It's got a little bit of that shiitake mushroom quality on the nose from the oxygen, but it feels more like oxidation that was done accidentally than on purpose. The palate shows moderate sweetness, with some golden raisin and date flavours, and the alcohol pokes out quite a bit. The necessary acidity to balance out the wine isn't quite here either, unfortunately. (85 pts.)
2007 Chateauneuf-du-Pape
At age 10, the 2007 Chateauneuf-du-Pape "wines" tasted here are a complete and utter disaster. They are laughably bad. I remember having tasted the vintage early on and being impressed by the luscious fruit on that wine. A decade later, none of the "wines" tasted today could reasonably count "luscious fruit" as a descriptor. Those that haven't otherwise been ruined but the modernist dogma of heavy oak treatments now suffer from flavours that evoke rotting fruit on an orchard in late October -- that sickly, rotting flavour is really quite vile. After that, there are two separate issues. Many of the wines actually suffer from extreme emaciation. With ten years for the baby fat to dissipate, the midpalate has just dropped out completely, leaving a wretched husk with weedy and astringent tannins on the finish. The riper "wines" suffer from alcoholic bitterness on the back end. The hyperbolic and hysterical pronouncements of Parker, Suckling, and their ilk reminded me a little bit of the current ambient climate, and I have endeavoured to render my notes to these "wines" with contemporary suitability.
  • 2007 Domaine Pierre Usseglio & Fils Châteauneuf-du-Pape Réserve des Deux Frères - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Usseglio is charging over $200 for this wine! There is so much oak on this! Paying tremendous cost for blueberry milkshake, when so much cheaper at Mcdonalds. Need to renegotiate the price! (60 pts.)
  • 2007 Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    The failing wine advocate reports that this wine should have 95+ points! Clear bias for excessive ripe and alcohol wines, but thin weedy tannins! Why do these wines always score so well. Unfair! (80 pts.)
  • 2007 Les Cailloux (Lucien et André Brunel) Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    MSM says this is good wine but I know better than that. Brown and pruney stuff. They are trying to sell wine that doesn't have much acid too. We are getting killed here, need to stop them scoring wines like this! (80 pts.)
  • 2007 Domaine Grand Veneur Châteauneuf-du-Pape Les Origines - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Trying to buy wine and getting rotting fruit and poop. And it's showing bigly. Not what I expected. What a bad deal. We are getting killed here! Should be safe to expect red flavors not brown. Sad! (60 pts.)
  • 2007 Clos du Mont-Olivet Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Clos du Mont olivet is really candied and flabby. It has gained a lot of weight and this is a real problem! But the palate is still thin and tastes like bitter greens! (70 pts.)
  • 2007 Clos Saint Jean Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    I am FORMALLY putting Clos Saint Jean on notice for this terrible wine! It should never have been made! So unbalanced! Tastes bitter! (60 pts.)
  • 2007 Roger Sabon Châteauneuf-du-Pape Reserve - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    This is only 10 years old wine, why is the fruit on this decaying already? Tastes like rotting! And bitter on the finish too, and heat shows bigly. Bad wine! (70 pts.)
  • 2007 Bosquet des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape Chante Le Merle Vieilles Vignes - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Boring wine, tastes like plum. MSM keeps trying to make people like these things, but they are WRONG! Wine should not taste rusty and bitter. (80 pts.)
  • 2007 Domaine de la Mordorée Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée de la Reine des Bois - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    So many of these bad wines coming out of Chateauneuf and they are absolutely taking us to the cleaners! Should subject these wines to extreme vetting to keep all this alcohol from reaching AMERICA. These wines are bitter and thin. (70 pts.)
  • 2007 Domaine de la Graveirette Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Listen. I respect Chateauneuf du Pape. Nobody respects it more than I do. I have tremendous respect for it. This is a good wine. It has red fruit and also some acid. I know plenty of Chateauneuf that don't have acid. This one has acid. It's great. (83 pts.)
  • 2007 Mas de Boislauzon Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Terrible wine. Tastes like rotting fruit, and such a nasty palate. Gasoline and rubber. Really bad. (60 pts.)
エaイdドrリiアaンn (93 pts.)

jcoley3

2007 CdP is disgusting

#2 Post by jcoley3 » February 2nd, 2017, 9:59 pm

Sad.

I forgot the hashtag. And exclamation mark.
Jim Coley ITB

"So I say, like Ortega y Gasset, that when a lot of people agree on something, it's either a stupid idea or a beautiful woman." - Alvaro Mutis

"You could spend a lot more money, and not get a better Burgundy...” - Carlo Rossi

P@u1_M3nk3s
GCC Member
GCC Member

2007 CdP is disgusting

#3 Post by P@u1_M3nk3s » February 2nd, 2017, 10:05 pm

jcoley3 wrote:Sad.

You shouldn't respond to him. It only eggs him on. Besides these notes are a distraction so you won't notice that he's plowing under the Hermitage hill.
Cheers,
Paul

jcoley3

2007 CdP is disgusting

#4 Post by jcoley3 » February 2nd, 2017, 10:14 pm

P@u1_M3nk3s wrote:
jcoley3 wrote:Sad.

You shouldn't respond to him. It only eggs him on. Besides these notes are a distraction so you won't notice that he's plowing under the Hermitage hill.
Lols.

(By him we mean Parker. Nothing to see here!)

Wait. Just saw sad on a note.

FWIW, CdP producers were all about this vintage, too. Maybe they were groveling?

(Seriously, when 09s were on deck, they were still talking about 07.)
Jim Coley ITB

"So I say, like Ortega y Gasset, that when a lot of people agree on something, it's either a stupid idea or a beautiful woman." - Alvaro Mutis

"You could spend a lot more money, and not get a better Burgundy...” - Carlo Rossi

Scott G r u n e r

2007 CdP is disgusting

#5 Post by Scott G r u n e r » February 2nd, 2017, 10:16 pm

Root day??
//Cynic

ChrisU

2007 CdP is disgusting

#6 Post by ChrisU » February 2nd, 2017, 10:23 pm

#MCGA
C. Ur$ini

salilb

2007 CdP is disgusting

#7 Post by salilb » February 2nd, 2017, 10:24 pm

A. So wrote:#ALTERNATIVEPAIRINGS - Chicago, IL (2/2/2017)

There is a (possibly apocryphal) story of Robert Parker advocating 2007 Chateauneuf-du-Pape (en magnum) as a pairing to sushi.
Fake pairings - terrible!
B℮n℮gaɭ

GregT

2007 CdP is disgusting

#8 Post by GregT » February 2nd, 2017, 10:40 pm

“Think of 2007 as a hypothetical blend of an opulent, powerful, sumptuous year such as 1990, and a cooler drought vintage such as 2001. The cool weather and the remarkable three weeks of Mistral in September that concentrated the grapes without any spikes of high heat appears to have given the 2007s an aromatic dimension and freshness that I have rarely witnessed. Combine that with wines that are substantial, powerful, and relatively high in alcohol, with super depth of fruit! These are very aromatic wines of great concentration, freshness, laser-like focus, and amazing purity as well as depth. It is the vintage of my lifetime for this region, and I don’t say that lightly. These 2007s will also be very long-lived given their extraordinary balance.” – Robert Parker
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

2007 CdP is disgusting

#9 Post by Kirk.Grant » February 2nd, 2017, 10:53 pm

Funny...but I'd be curious to see what the wines of producers like Beaucastel & Vieux Telegraph are like in this company. I wonder if some producers were able to reign-in the vintage a bit?
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

BrianMarshall
GCC Member
GCC Member

2007 CdP is disgusting

#10 Post by BrianMarshall » February 3rd, 2017, 3:18 am

I think you were supposed to tweet those notes out. Well done!
CT: WMWG

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

2007 CdP is disgusting

#11 Post by Jorge Henriquez » February 3rd, 2017, 3:37 am

Terrific notes. You're a guy that's done a lot of terrific things and are getting more and more recognition for it....I think.

And believe me, I know terrific.
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

PaulMills
GCC Member
GCC Member

2007 CdP is disgusting

#12 Post by PaulMills » February 3rd, 2017, 4:13 am

I had a Pegau back on December that I thought was spectacular. A little odd the first day, but the second day was very rewarding.

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

2007 CdP is disgusting

#13 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » February 3rd, 2017, 4:33 am

The only wine on the list that surprises me is the Mont Olivet. It's the only one that is still holding to its traditional style. The rest are generally bad regardless of vintage, as they are no longer Chateauneuf du Pape, but rather Chateauneuf du Points.

As for the Roederer Estate, not surprising you found it too sweet. The dosage on their California wines is higher than good grower wines these days.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

2007 CdP is disgusting

#14 Post by Mark Golodetz » February 3rd, 2017, 4:38 am

I think this is going to be an interesting thread. Quite honestly given hype and the style of vintage, I steered well clear, but I did have the Bonneau Celestins which was very good, but the weakest of the three in a vertical 2004, 2005 and 2007. That being said, I am beginning to break the code, and I tend to buy less ripe vintages like 2004, which have the twin virtues of being better to my palate and considerably cheaper.

BTW, ditto Guigal Lalas.
ITB

Markus S

2007 CdP is disgusting

#15 Post by Markus S » February 3rd, 2017, 4:41 am

A. So wrote: ... a complete and utter disaster. They are laughably bad....
Channeling your inner Trump??
$ _ € ® e . k @

Dennis Borczon
GCC Member
GCC Member

2007 CdP is disgusting

#16 Post by Dennis Borczon » February 3rd, 2017, 4:47 am

Have you been spending time with Bill Klapp by any chance?

J.Durham

2007 CdP is disgusting

#17 Post by J.Durham » February 3rd, 2017, 5:12 am

I've recently enjoy both beaucastel and VT from '07. They show the vintage but kept the ripeness and alcohol in check.
A recent '09 clos des papes was damn near undrinkable due to heat/alcohol.
Last edited by J.Durham on February 3rd, 2017, 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Josh

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

2007 CdP is disgusting

#18 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » February 3rd, 2017, 5:20 am

The arc of many of these wines was manifestly apparent within 3-5 years, and I can only imagine how much worse some have become. This vintage of CDP was the "jump the shark" moment for me and this region, and I'm down to like 3 bottles of wine when at one point it was the second largest in my "cellar". The only 07 that I have left is Clos des Papes and VT. I gave away lots of them to my father. I'm in agreement with Adrian here.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

2007 CdP is disgusting

#19 Post by John Morris » February 3rd, 2017, 5:28 am

Sounds like we need a stiff tariff on these. Or maybe a wall along the French coast to contain their bad wines.
A. So wrote: There is a (possibly apocryphal) story of Robert Parker advocating 2007 Chateauneuf-du-Pape (en magnum) as a pairing to sushi.
It was real. As I recall, it was in a post on his blog, The Hedonist's Gazette.
"I pencilled in half an hour to suffer fools tomorrow, but now I’m thinking I might bump it out until Monday." -- @duchessgoldblat

“Only he who has walked through the deepest valley knows how other valleys of lesser depth are relatively more walk-throughable, valley-wise.” – @TheTweetOfGod

R Nanda
GCC Member
GCC Member

2007 CdP is disgusting

#20 Post by R Nanda » February 3rd, 2017, 5:29 am

PS: FWIW, I have enjoyed 2007 Donjon, Beaucastel and Pegau in the past year.
Last edited by Jorge Henriquez on February 3rd, 2017, 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quasi-political comment removed.
r i c h
instagram: rnvin

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

2007 CdP is disgusting

#21 Post by Paul Jaouen » February 3rd, 2017, 5:31 am

I was in CdP when 2007s were being released. I couldn't find one wine that I didn't think was a hot mess. Well...Beaucastel wasn't too bad.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

2007 CdP is disgusting

#22 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » February 3rd, 2017, 5:37 am

IMHO, these nuked and oaked 07 CDPs are quite similar to the hyper-modern St Emilions that became so prounounced in vintages like 2003 and 2005. As Adrian notes, the luciousness of the fruit right on release, and apprarenly to the critics during barrel tastings, was a little captivating and either masked or "balanced" the other extreme attributes. Some wines still showed messy, though. But once some of that baby fat receded, what you had left is alcohol and wood. Like CDP, I have literally dumped every single St. Em. I bought from these vintages and have pretty much stopped buying any but a handful of classics. Sadly, even classics like Figeac and Conseillante have recently hired the modernist consultant - is post-modernism more of an apt descriptor, akin to the architecture of Michael Graves with its overdone cosmestics(?) - hoping to capture the elevated interest of the critics. Sad.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Tom Gibson

2007 CdP is disgusting

#23 Post by Tom Gibson » February 3rd, 2017, 5:42 am

This is a good wine. It has red fruit and also some acid. I know plenty of Chateauneuf that don't have acid. This one has acid. It's great. (83 pts.)
What's it take for a wine to crack 85?!

Mark Senn

2007 CdP is disgusting

#24 Post by Mark Senn » February 3rd, 2017, 5:56 am

I can only imagine Adrian's facial expressions during this tasting. Thankfully, I have culled my cellar down to only Beaucastel, VT and Pegau from this vintage.

Sarah Kirschbaum

2007 CdP is disgusting

#25 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » February 3rd, 2017, 5:58 am

I went to a trade tasting with Michel Abood in Paris - we happened to be there at the same time - when the 2007 CdPs were just being released. All of them were there, the big names and the small. I hated them all.

I haven't tasted a single one since then, and these notes make me think I never will. Adrian and I don't agree on everything, but I'm pretty sure we're in line here. And I love the parody.

Jonathan Loesberg

2007 CdP is disgusting

#26 Post by Jonathan Loesberg » February 3rd, 2017, 6:24 am

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:The only wine on the list that surprises me is the Mont Olivet. It's the only one that is still holding to its traditional style. The rest are generally bad regardless of vintage, as they are no longer Chateauneuf du Pape, but rather Chateauneuf du Points.

As for the Roederer Estate, not surprising you found it too sweet. The dosage on their California wines is higher than good grower wines these days.
Clos Mt. Olivet is a Cambie wine. The base cuvee generally doesn't show it much, but in 07 it would come through. I'm not familiar with Mas de Boislauzon, but I have heard it tends toward the traditional.

A lot of 07s, like a lot of 03s had exaggerated concentration and sweetness. They had more tannin and acid than the 03s, but they were oddly integrated. Even the best of them tasted disjointed to me a few years ago. Some of the traditional ones, Pegau and Charvin, are doing much better now. As with the 03s, those who did not like them young will never like them with age (wines aren't like Hans Christian Andersen's ugly duckling; they mature, but they don't turn into swans), but some of them are good versions of the vintage. It hardly surprises me, though, that most of the wines on this list are not.

Barry P

2007 CdP is disgusting

#27 Post by Barry P » February 3rd, 2017, 6:45 am

C'mon, man! Are we really surprised? Parker has been recommending horrid wines from warm vintages for many, many years now: 97 Piedmonte; 98-2001 Barossa Shiraz; 03 Bordeaux; 07 CNdP. He tastes alcohol, roasted fruit and wood. And if he tastes more of it, then the wine must be better. Structure, nuance, acidity and freshness -- which are things I look for in wine -- are nearly lost in his review.

Otherwise, how does anyone explain the fascination with these hot year, hot messes? It has taken a few of us many years and a lot of money to figure that out.
--B@rry Per$hkØw

Keith A k e r s
GCC Member
GCC Member

2007 CdP is disgusting

#28 Post by Keith A k e r s » February 3rd, 2017, 6:55 am

Mark Senn wrote:I can only imagine Adrian's facial expressions during this tasting. Thankfully, I have culled my cellar down to only Beaucastel, VT and Pegau from this vintage.
Mark,

Adrian is a fantastic man. A really great man, just fantastic. His face reactions told me a story of someone who wasn't happy with how these wines were. Sad, just very very sad.
Last edited by Keith A k e r s on February 3rd, 2017, 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

K John Joseph

2007 CdP is disgusting

#29 Post by K John Joseph » February 3rd, 2017, 7:09 am

Laughable smear campaign notes lacking any substance across the board. I love the Trump comparison. It's like the Trump v Streep tweets.

Clearly the most overrated vintage in Southern Rhones. Just terrible. Not luxurious at all. So sad. Really just losers whose mothers wouldn't even love them. Really terrible. So sad.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

2007 CdP is disgusting

#30 Post by Craig G » February 3rd, 2017, 7:12 am

I've locked mine up.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

2007 CdP is disgusting

#31 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » February 3rd, 2017, 7:23 am

Simply stated, the wines are liquor illegally masquerading as wine, and hence should be deported.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Tom Gibson

2007 CdP is disgusting

#32 Post by Tom Gibson » February 3rd, 2017, 7:40 am

K John Joseph wrote:Laughable smear campaign notes lacking any substance across the board. I love the Trump comparison. It's like the Trump v Streep tweets.

Clearly the most overrated vintage in Southern Rhones. Just terrible. Not luxurious at all. So sad. Really just losers whose mothers wouldn't even love them. Really terrible. So sad.
Make America Grape Again!

Theodore Anderson

2007 CdP is disgusting

#33 Post by Theodore Anderson » February 3rd, 2017, 7:57 am

I sold all my '07s and bought orange wines instead.
This world is a wiggly affair

Matt Latuchie
GCC Member
GCC Member

2007 CdP is disgusting

#34 Post by Matt Latuchie » February 3rd, 2017, 8:01 am

i would like to post this thread over on eBob.

great notes adrian - wish i hadn't been traveling...i've been looking forward to this train wreck for a while.
CellarTracker: tooch
Instagram: mattlatuchie
philadelphia eagles football

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

2007 CdP is disgusting

#35 Post by Neal.Mollen » February 3rd, 2017, 8:03 am

There is a (possibly apocryphal) story of Robert Parker advocating 2007 Chateauneuf-du-Pape (en magnum) as a pairing to sushi. As this is the tenth anniversary of the vintage, and since Robert Parker is a critic of such great renown, we decided to follow his sage advice and try this pairing.

Real Wines
A few Champagnes and a dessert wine were served at this dinner -- they were all reasonable beverages.
  • NV Bérêche et Fils Champagne Reflet d'Antan - France, Champagne
    2009 base, 6 g/L dosage, May 2014 disgorgement. It's odd. I had had this exact same disgorgement before, and thought it disappointing, but this bottle was showing very well tonight. This had a great balance of freshness and oxidative character, and there was plenty of white fruit here. Lots of taut acidity and chalkiness rounds out a really full-bodied champagne. (93 pts.)
  • 2007 Roederer Estate L'Ermitage Brut - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley
    This is a surprisingly sweet bottle of sparkling wine. There's some pronounced red delicious apple flavours here (but also with a fair bit of acidity), as well as a biscuity character. It's not bad, but the sweetness really throws me off a little bit. (85 pts.)
  • NV Agrapart & Fils Champagne Grand Cru Terroirs - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru
    Hah, twice in three days. This is pretty much the same as the last bottle I had -- good taut acidity and white fruit. Super dense chalkiness on the palate, but I feel that a little bit more density as far as flavour is concerned would do this wine well. (88 pts.)
  • 1991 M. Chapoutier Banyuls Vin Doux Naturel - France, Languedoc Roussillon, Roussillon, Banyuls
    From half bottle. This is like a Madeira without all the nice things that make Madeira Madeira. It's got a little bit of that shiitake mushroom quality on the nose from the oxygen, but it feels more like oxidation that was done accidentally than on purpose. The palate shows moderate sweetness, with some golden raisin and date flavours, and the alcohol pokes out quite a bit. The necessary acidity to balance out the wine isn't quite here either, unfortunately. (85 pts.)
2007 Chateauneuf-du-Pape
At age 10, the 2007 Chateauneuf-du-Pape "wines" tasted here are a complete and utter disaster. They are laughably bad. I remember having tasted the vintage early on and being impressed by the luscious fruit on that wine. A decade later, none of the "wines" tasted today could reasonably count "luscious fruit" as a descriptor. Those that haven't otherwise been ruined but the modernist dogma of heavy oak treatments now suffer from flavours that evoke rotting fruit on an orchard in late October -- that sickly, rotting flavour is really quite vile. After that, there are two separate issues. Many of the wines actually suffer from extreme emaciation. With ten years for the baby fat to dissipate, the midpalate has just dropped out completely, leaving a wretched husk with weedy and astringent tannins on the finish. The riper "wines" suffer from alcoholic bitterness on the back end. The hyperbolic and hysterical pronouncements of Parker, Suckling, and their ilk reminded me a little bit of the current ambient climate, and I have endeavoured to render my notes to these "wines" with contemporary suitability.
  • 2007 Domaine Pierre Usseglio & Fils Châteauneuf-du-Pape Réserve des Deux Frères - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Usseglio is charging over $200 for this wine! There is so much oak on this! Paying tremendous cost for blueberry milkshake, when so much cheaper at Mcdonalds. Need to renegotiate the price! (60 pts.)
  • 2007 Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    The failing wine advocate reports that this wine should have 95+ points! Clear bias for excessive ripe and alcohol wines, but thin weedy tannins! Why do these wines always score so well. Unfair! (80 pts.)
  • 2007 Les Cailloux (Lucien et André Brunel) Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    MSM says this is good wine but I know better than that. Brown and pruney stuff. They are trying to sell wine that doesn't have much acid too. We are getting killed here, need to stop them scoring wines like this! (80 pts.)
  • 2007 Domaine Grand Veneur Châteauneuf-du-Pape Les Origines - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Trying to buy wine and getting rotting fruit and poop. And it's showing bigly. Not what I expected. What a bad deal. We are getting killed here! Should be safe to expect red flavors not brown. Sad! (60 pts.)
  • 2007 Clos du Mont-Olivet Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Clos du Mont olivet is really candied and flabby. It has gained a lot of weight and this is a real problem! But the palate is still thin and tastes like bitter greens! (70 pts.)
  • 2007 Clos Saint Jean Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    I am FORMALLY putting Clos Saint Jean on notice for this terrible wine! It should never have been made! So unbalanced! Tastes bitter! (60 pts.)
  • 2007 Roger Sabon Châteauneuf-du-Pape Reserve - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    This is only 10 years old wine, why is the fruit on this decaying already? Tastes like rotting! And bitter on the finish too, and heat shows bigly. Bad wine! (70 pts.)
  • 2007 Bosquet des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape Chante Le Merle Vieilles Vignes - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Boring wine, tastes like plum. MSM keeps trying to make people like these things, but they are WRONG! Wine should not taste rusty and bitter. (80 pts.)
  • 2007 Domaine de la Mordorée Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée de la Reine des Bois - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    So many of these bad wines coming out of Chateauneuf and they are absolutely taking us to the cleaners! Should subject these wines to extreme vetting to keep all this alcohol from reaching AMERICA. These wines are bitter and thin. (70 pts.)
  • 2007 Domaine de la Graveirette Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Listen. I respect Chateauneuf du Pape. Nobody respects it more than I do. I have tremendous respect for it. This is a good wine. It has red fruit and also some acid. I know plenty of Chateauneuf that don't have acid. This one has acid. It's great. (83 pts.)
  • 2007 Mas de Boislauzon Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Terrible wine. Tastes like rotting fruit, and such a nasty palate. Gasoline and rubber. Really bad. (60 pts.)
Your notes have beautiful words. Really, the best words. You have the best words. You totally destroy those others, believe me. Terrible what's happened to TWA. Sad! Putting CdP on notice!
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

2007 CdP is disgusting

#36 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » February 3rd, 2017, 8:05 am

Damn. I did not know that Mont Oliver had come under the influence of Darth Cambie.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

bob parsons alberta

2007 CdP is disgusting

#37 Post by bob parsons alberta » February 3rd, 2017, 8:16 am

I gave my bottle away in exchange for Rombauer Chardonnay.

Marcu$ Stanley

2007 CdP is disgusting

#38 Post by Marcu$ Stanley » February 3rd, 2017, 8:32 am

Robert Alfert, Jr. wrote:IMHO, these nuked and oaked 07 CDPs are quite similar to the hyper-modern St Emilions that became so prounounced in vintages like 2003 and 2005. As Adrian notes, the luciousness of the fruit right on release, and apprarenly to the critics during barrel tastings, was a little captivating and either masked or "balanced" the other extreme attributes. Some wines still showed messy, though. But once some of that baby fat receded, what you had left is alcohol and wood. Like CDP, I have literally dumped every single St. Em. I bought from these vintages and have pretty much stopped buying any but a handful of classics. Sadly, even classics like Figeac and Conseillante have recently hired the modernist consultant - is post-modernism more of an apt descriptor, akin to the architecture of Michael Graves with its overdone cosmestics(?) - hoping to capture the elevated interest of the critics. Sad.
I was coming on here to post basically the same thing about St Emilion. There are some disasters in that region in 2005 thanks to the dogma of over-ripeness. I had the chance to taste the 2000 and 2005 Canon La Gaffeliere together -- CLG has always been modernist, but the 2000 CLG had elegance, subtlety, and layers while the 2005 was just sweet, heavy, and alcoholic. The difference in palate presence (heavy and clumsy on the 2005) was very evident.

Some left bank chateau have also gone in a bad direction but there seems to be more resistance there, and also cabernet can stand up to this kind of abuse better than merlot.

P@u1_M3nk3s
GCC Member
GCC Member

2007 CdP is disgusting

#39 Post by P@u1_M3nk3s » February 3rd, 2017, 8:39 am

Craig G wrote:I've locked mine up.
I did some extreme vetting and only Domaine Milliere and VT made it. The last Milliere I had a year ago was good, albeit with a short finish. It's time to take the VT out of its secret black site and see how it's coming along.
Cheers,
Paul

Ian Sutton

2007 CdP is disgusting

#40 Post by Ian Sutton » February 3rd, 2017, 8:41 am

What were the reasons for buying the wines in the first place? Was it Parker's advice you followed?
Normal for Norfolk

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

2007 CdP is disgusting

#41 Post by Neal.Mollen » February 3rd, 2017, 8:47 am

Ian Sutton wrote:What were the reasons for buying the wines in the first place? Was it Parker's advice you followed?
Wasn't the vintage highly regarded by most critics at the time? I stopped buying S Rhone wines in any quantity with the 1998 vintage, and I think I have no wines after 2003 in the cellar (2 bottle of Pegau), but that is what I recall

Marcu$ Stanley

2007 CdP is disgusting

#42 Post by Marcu$ Stanley » February 3rd, 2017, 8:48 am

If any Chateauneuf would be less vulnerable to this kind of thing it's Beaucastel. Mourvedre can take heat. I've always liked Beaucastel as having a more solid midpalate and being more structured than flabby fruit bomb Grenaches.

Arv R

2007 CdP is disgusting

#43 Post by Arv R » February 3rd, 2017, 8:52 am

Thanks for the notes and the wit.

I have not dipped into the bigger 07's CNDPs yet but am looking forward to it, despite the notes.

Mostly I have liked the CdR and village level wines so far.

Even though I tend to like the traditional producers better. Both for style/value, I've never really like the whole tete du cuvee Rhone movements.

trivia question: Do people think the modern producers cost more/less than the traditional ones?
R_@_0

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

2007 CdP is disgusting

#44 Post by Jay Miller » February 3rd, 2017, 9:07 am

GregT wrote:“Think of 2007 as a hypothetical blend of an opulent, powerful, sumptuous year such as 1990, and a cooler drought vintage such as 2001. The cool weather and the remarkable three weeks of Mistral in September that concentrated the grapes without any spikes of high heat appears to have given the 2007s an aromatic dimension and freshness that I have rarely witnessed. Combine that with wines that are substantial, powerful, and relatively high in alcohol, with super depth of fruit! These are very aromatic wines of great concentration, freshness, laser-like focus, and amazing purity as well as depth. It is the vintage of my lifetime for this region, and I don’t say that lightly. These 2007s will also be very long-lived given their extraordinary balance.” – Robert Parker
Worst review ever. Do you believe it? The Wine Advocate agreed to give thousands of points to these wines. Why?
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

2007 CdP is disgusting

#45 Post by Neal.Mollen » February 3rd, 2017, 9:11 am

Because Parker liked them. Simple as that

Keith Levenberg

2007 CdP is disgusting

#46 Post by Keith Levenberg » February 3rd, 2017, 9:30 am

It's true. All of it.
http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vie ... =1&t=49336

Victor Hong

2007 CdP is disgusting

#47 Post by Victor Hong » February 3rd, 2017, 9:33 am

Those TNs prove that alcohol is a poor way to freshen stinky toilet bowls.
WineHunter.

P.Sunesen

2007 CdP is disgusting

#48 Post by P.Sunesen » February 3rd, 2017, 9:35 am

[ResizeableImage=][/ResizeableImage]
Neal.Mollen wrote:Because Parker liked them. Simple as that

Exactly.

It's a little strange that there's so much outrage over difference in taste.

I cannot stand the taste, smell, look (and effect on my sensitive teeth and the rest of my body) that Coca Cola offers.

Yet I would never work myself up to a loud cry of disgust over the billions of people all over the world who seemingly enjoy the s***.

That said, I do agree that several wines from the area don't develop as I (and a lot of reviewers) have hoped.
But that isn't restricted to just this specific vintage.

I have almost two hundreds tasting notes of all the 2007 CdP and Gigondas I've followed from the time of bottling up to now. If anyone should be interested I'll gladly post them here when I've retasted the 20 or 30 on which I have no recent notes.

Will taste 18 of them in two weeks.....

Peter

jcoley3

2007 CdP is disgusting

#49 Post by jcoley3 » February 3rd, 2017, 9:39 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:Because Parker liked them. Simple as that
The producers themselves expressed considerable excitement over the vintage when I was visiting the Rhone in 2011. We visited a wide mix of classicists and modernists, and across the board they felt it was a great year. We were there to look at 09s mostly, so there was no sales pressure to tout 07.
Jim Coley ITB

J Fontamillas
Contributor
Contributor

2007 CdP is disgusting

#50 Post by J Fontamillas » February 3rd, 2017, 9:40 am

So, umm...

What was the wine of the night?

:D
Cheers! J for J e s u s

Return to “Wine Talk”