Scarecrow In Feburary

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Steve L Gellman
GCC Member
GCC Member

Scarecrow In Feburary

#1 Post by Steve L Gellman » February 2nd, 2017, 7:40 am

The 2014 Scarecrow vintage is a beauty!

Invitations to purchase will be sent by post and email, based on list seniority starting at the beginning of March. Our offering this year will reflect the slightly diminished harvest size we experienced.

If you do not receive an offer to purchase the 2014 Scarecrow by the end of March, rest assured that your position on our waiting list will remain secure.

We respectfully remind you that declining to purchase the wine during your prescribed time-frame will shift your position to the end of our waiting list, allowing others the opportunity to purchase.

We are happy to add that we have obtained a license to ship to the following states: Hawaii, Kansas, Nebraska, South Carolina and Vermont.

In closing, we just have to share Robert Parker’s words on our thrilling third 100 point score:

“The utterly perfect 2014 Scarecrow Cabernet Sauvignon has everything one could possibly want in a Cabernet. Inky purple-colored to the rim, with a glorious nose of white flowers, crème de cassis, hints of blackberry and boysenberry, some licorice and forest floor are followed by an enormously concentrated wine with fabulous purity, a skyscraper-like mid-palate and texture, a length of nearly a minute, and stunning flavors, with flawless integration of acidity, tannin, wood and alcohol. This is a great, great wine and certainly one of the Cabernet Sauvignons of this vintage. Drink it over the next 25-30 or more years.” 100 pts – Robert Parker, Jr., Wine Advocate 12/30/16

With great appreciation,

MIMI DEBLASIO, BRET LOPEZ and COCO LOPEZ-ANAGNOSTAKIS

Al R

Scarecrow In Feburary

#2 Post by Al R » February 2nd, 2017, 7:44 am

I'm looking forward to seeing their release pricing. Scarecrow is expensive, but at least as of last year, their pricing was still such that you feel like you are getting a good deal (I know, I know, everything is relative...). The 2013 was $325 on release I think, and the cheapest retail for it in the U.S. right now is $575.
last name: arr eye ell ee why

Steve L Gellman
GCC Member
GCC Member

Scarecrow In Feburary

#3 Post by Steve L Gellman » February 2nd, 2017, 7:51 am

I thought the 2013 was $300?

Tom Gibson

Scarecrow In Feburary

#4 Post by Tom Gibson » February 2nd, 2017, 7:55 am

On the list for 6 years, wonder if I'll finally get an allocation this year.

Seo S a l i m i

Scarecrow In Feburary

#5 Post by Seo S a l i m i » February 2nd, 2017, 8:01 am

I keep getting offered the M. Etan. Never been a purchaser. Curious if they actually sell out of this. Never been offered the S.Crow but always get the mailer.

Al R

Scarecrow In Feburary

#6 Post by Al R » February 2nd, 2017, 8:03 am

Tom Gibson wrote:On the list for 6 years, wonder if I'll finally get an allocation this year.
Maybe you should check with them. I joined the list at the beginning of 2013. I then got an allocation of M. Etain (their second wine) in the fall of that same year. I bought that (not sure if that has anything to do with the regular Scarecrow allocation, but I figured it couldn't hurt and besides M. Etain is good stuff in its own right).

I then got a Scarecrow allocation in March of 2016. So, three years on list to get the first Scarecrow allocation -- you should have been up before me if you've been on the list 6 years. Check with them to see what's up!

Al R

Scarecrow In Feburary

#7 Post by Al R » February 2nd, 2017, 8:05 am

Steve L Gellman wrote:I thought the 2013 was $300?
Oops, you are right. It was $300 a bottle, plus I had to pay $75 for shipping a 3-pack, so I put "$325" in Cellartracker as what I paid for it.

alan.a.stevens

Scarecrow In Feburary

#8 Post by alan.a.stevens » February 2nd, 2017, 8:48 am

Simply as another data point, i've been on the list for a little over four years and haven't received an allocation. Doubt i'll receive one this year with the lower yields. I've also passed on M. Etain historically. I vaguely recall the M. Etain mailer saying it does not impact Scarecrow waitlist, but who knows what happens behind the scenes.

S. Stevenson

Scarecrow In Feburary

#9 Post by S. Stevenson » February 2nd, 2017, 8:54 am

Steve L Gellman wrote:
We respectfully remind you that declining to purchase the wine during your prescribed time-frame will shift your position to the end of our waiting list, allowing others the opportunity to purchase.
Does this mean you will no longer be offered an allocation? That you will be shifted from the allocation list to the waiting list(and at the end, no less)?
Stan

JimmyGillingham

Scarecrow In Feburary

#10 Post by JimmyGillingham » February 2nd, 2017, 9:04 am

S. Stevenson wrote:
Steve L Gellman wrote:
Does this mean you will no longer be offered an allocation? That you will be shifted from the allocation list to the waiting list(and at the end, no less)?
Yes, that is what it means.

Tom Gibson

Scarecrow In Feburary

#11 Post by Tom Gibson » February 2nd, 2017, 11:39 am

Al R wrote:
Tom Gibson wrote:On the list for 6 years, wonder if I'll finally get an allocation this year.
Maybe you should check with them. I joined the list at the beginning of 2013. I then got an allocation of M. Etain (their second wine) in the fall of that same year. I bought that (not sure if that has anything to do with the regular Scarecrow allocation, but I figured it couldn't hurt and besides M. Etain is good stuff in its own right).

I then got a Scarecrow allocation in March of 2016. So, three years on list to get the first Scarecrow allocation -- you should have been up before me if you've been on the list 6 years. Check with them to see what's up!
Interesting. I've bought the 2010 and 2011 M. Etain and never got a Scarecrow. I'll shoot them a note (and expect nothing substantive back haha). But I think Etain is offered to everyone and is first come (and doesn't affect the Scarecrow offer).

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

Scarecrow In Feburary

#12 Post by Kirk.Grant » February 2nd, 2017, 11:48 am

I dropped the list after the 2007 vintage. It's a good wine...but simply not worth the coin in my book. It's clearly a well made wine...but north of $300 a bottle is tough to swallow when you could be buying top-tier Barolo, Burgundy, or Champagne.
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

S. Stevenson

Scarecrow In Feburary

#13 Post by S. Stevenson » February 2nd, 2017, 1:10 pm

Kirk.Grant wrote:I dropped the list after the 2007 vintage. It's a good wine...but simply not worth the coin in my book. It's clearly a well made wine...but north of $300 a bottle is tough to swallow when you could be buying top-tier Barolo, Burgundy, or Champagne.
I kind of agree. At some point the $$$ has to matter. Are 3 $100 bottles better than 1 $300 bottle? I've traded expensive bottles in the past for others nearly equal in quality, but more of them. It's an interesting call.
Stan

Al R

Scarecrow In Feburary

#14 Post by Al R » February 2nd, 2017, 1:17 pm

Kirk.Grant wrote:I dropped the list after the 2007 vintage. It's a good wine...but simply not worth the coin in my book. It's clearly a well made wine...but north of $300 a bottle is tough to swallow when you could be buying top-tier Barolo, Burgundy, or Champagne.
The way I look at it, I judge it as "worth it" for me because of three things:

1) I like it
2) I can afford it
3) The winery-direct pricing, at least for now, is significantly less than the secondary market for it, making it a "good deal" in that sense.

Loren Sonkin

Scarecrow In Feburary

#15 Post by Loren Sonkin » February 2nd, 2017, 1:24 pm

OK, but that's not a value decision, its a taste one. The top wines from those areas are easily $300 plus if not more. Scarecrow has consistently been at the top of Napa Cabs at least from the critics point of view. The 2014 scored 100 points from TWA, so the after market will be quite a pricey place to buy it. For my tastes, I would easily spend my money here rather than the three you mentioned although if Salon were at $300, I would probably be a buyer.
With regards,

Loren Sonkin
Columnist at www.Intowine.com

Mark Chatwin

Scarecrow In Feburary

#16 Post by Mark Chatwin » February 2nd, 2017, 2:14 pm

I kind of look at it from the "wine as an investment" perspective. I like having wines in my cellar that not only taste good, are age worthy, but also are worth the same or more than you pay for them. Then if I should have a change in financial situation or change in health situation I have an asset that is at least worth what I paid for it.

Back in the day I had slews of high-rated Parker darlings like Torbreck, Noon, Rochioli, Behrens and Hitchcock and I lost money when I was trying to sell them to make room for my palate shift to French wines...

Tom Gibson

Scarecrow In Feburary

#17 Post by Tom Gibson » February 3rd, 2017, 8:30 am

I emailed them and they said I got an offer in 2015 and didn't take it so I'm now 2 years until another offer. I don't delete emails from that inbox from any winery and definitely don't have an email with an offer. Welp, my $$$ goes elsewhere.

S. Stevenson

Scarecrow In Feburary

#18 Post by S. Stevenson » February 3rd, 2017, 8:40 am

Tom Gibson wrote:I emailed them and they said I got an offer in 2015 and didn't take it so I'm now 2 years until another offer. I don't delete emails from that inbox from any winery and definitely don't have an email with an offer. Welp, my $$$ goes elsewhere.
Caught in the spam filter?
Stan

Tom Gibson

Scarecrow In Feburary

#19 Post by Tom Gibson » February 3rd, 2017, 9:28 am

S. Stevenson wrote:
Tom Gibson wrote:I emailed them and they said I got an offer in 2015 and didn't take it so I'm now 2 years until another offer. I don't delete emails from that inbox from any winery and definitely don't have an email with an offer. Welp, my $$$ goes elsewhere.
Caught in the spam filter?
I mean it's Gmail, and there's nothing in there from them. In any event, it is what it is!

Al R

Scarecrow In Feburary

#20 Post by Al R » February 3rd, 2017, 9:37 am

Tom Gibson wrote:
I mean it's Gmail, and there's nothing in there from them. In any event, it is what it is!
I know at this point you're fed up and probably want to just move on, but it really is some nice wine! If you do want an allocation eventually, you might double-check with them that they have your email address and postal address correct. If I recall correctly, I receive allocation notices from them both via email AND snail mail.

It does sound like they just f-ed up your allocation though.

rick m

Scarecrow In Feburary

#21 Post by rick m » February 21st, 2017, 10:33 pm

got an offer letter today for 2014 scarecrow estate....my offer is for march 1st, noon eastern time.

looks like price has gone up 10%?

750ml @ $330
mag @ $1500
ITB
rick matsui

jbray23

Scarecrow In Feburary

#22 Post by jbray23 » February 22nd, 2017, 12:27 am

Wow a mag is more than 3x mark up?

Sorry, but you can 2 bottles and a free .750 for less than a mag price...

To me that's crazy.. I've had it, was in the list and flipped it (paid for a number of great wines I own) I guess if $ is no object it's worth it to you, but damn, there's a ton of wine you can buy at that price. I would rather back full with the 91' maya at that price...
Jason, back itb

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

Scarecrow In Feburary

#23 Post by Scott Brunson » February 22nd, 2017, 3:25 am

rick m wrote:got an offer letter today for 2014 scarecrow estate....my offer is for march 1st, noon eastern time.

750ml @ $330
mag @ $1500
Ditto
And it looks like my allocation dropped from 6 to 3.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Loren Sonkin

Scarecrow In Feburary

#24 Post by Loren Sonkin » February 22nd, 2017, 5:19 am

Scott Brunson wrote:
rick m wrote:got an offer letter today for 2014 scarecrow estate....my offer is for march 1st, noon eastern time.

750ml @ $330
mag @ $1500
Ditto
And it looks like my allocation dropped from 6 to 3.
Same and not guaranteed. I was surprised by that.
The Mag is a collectors item kind of thing. Limited production, etched bottle. Not intended to be just 2 bottles of wine. I have no issue with that if they want to do that.

The wine is also an RP100, so I presume they think a lot will be flipped. I don't flip wine for profit, but even reading above in this thread, some do. I don't blame them for wanting to capture that money for themselves. At some point, however, I am going to be out (like many other wines I used to drink).
With regards,

Loren Sonkin
Columnist at www.Intowine.com

A.Altman

Scarecrow In Feburary

#25 Post by A.Altman » February 22nd, 2017, 6:18 am

Parker's use of the word SKYSCRAPER always annoys me.

Al R

Scarecrow In Feburary

#26 Post by Al R » February 22nd, 2017, 7:33 am

Hmmm I got my first actual Scarecrow (as opposed to M. Etain) allocation last year, but nothing via email or snail mail this year yet...hopefully they're just still sending them out.

kgottehrer

Scarecrow In Feburary

#27 Post by kgottehrer » February 22nd, 2017, 7:37 am

It's done in waves. Even if you purchased for several prior years you're not likely to be in the first wave.
Kevin Gottehrer

J. Galang
GCC Member
GCC Member

Scarecrow In Feburary

#28 Post by J. Galang » February 23rd, 2017, 7:20 am

750ml @ $330
mag @ $1500
Is this the first wave?
Joel Galang

Dale Bowers
GCC Member
GCC Member

Scarecrow In Feburary

#29 Post by Dale Bowers » February 23rd, 2017, 7:27 am

Dropped the list long ago.

Decent wine, but not worth the coin IMO.
Cheers!

S. Stevenson

Scarecrow In Feburary

#30 Post by S. Stevenson » February 23rd, 2017, 9:57 am

I hate to say this, but it's just another high end Napa Cab , like most of the others, in a money grab. And really, does the world need more of this? I stopped buying these wines looooooong ago...
Stan

Nathan Smyth

Scarecrow In Feburary

#31 Post by Nathan Smyth » February 23rd, 2017, 10:04 am

Well, at least mid-tier Barolo, and lower-end Burgundy.

A.Altman

Scarecrow In Feburary

#32 Post by A.Altman » February 23rd, 2017, 10:52 am

Nathan Smyth wrote:
From what planet is mid-tier Barolo +-$300 per bottle?

Dale Williams

Scarecrow In Feburary

#33 Post by Dale Williams » February 23rd, 2017, 1:08 pm

A.Altman wrote:
Nathan Smyth wrote:
From what planet is mid-tier Barolo +-$300 per bottle?
Yeah, typical NS crazy response, I can't think of many Barolos that are consistently more than $300 on release other than Monfortino, maybe Giacosa red labels now.
As for Burg certainly things like Rousseau Chambertin or Roumier Bonnes Mares and the like are well above, but plenty of GCs and highly regarded 1ers from solid producers out there, scarcely only lower-end.

rick m

Scarecrow In Feburary

#34 Post by rick m » February 23rd, 2017, 2:32 pm

J. Galang wrote:

750ml @ $330
mag @ $1500
Is this the first wave?

i don't think i am on their first tier....been buying crows since '05 vintage when it was $150 [head-bang.gif]
ITB
rick matsui

L J McLeod

Scarecrow In Feburary

#35 Post by L J McLeod » February 23rd, 2017, 3:13 pm

Is it spring deliv?

Lyndon
L y n d o n McLeo

Nathan Smyth

Scarecrow In Feburary

#36 Post by Nathan Smyth » February 23rd, 2017, 4:37 pm

LOL'ed.

You're not even gonna be able to get a 4oz pour of the 2010 Monfortino Riserva for $300.

Dale Williams

Scarecrow In Feburary

#37 Post by Dale Williams » February 23rd, 2017, 6:59 pm

Yes, I said Monfortino is more than $300. But the most expensive single bottling does not equal the top tier. When people say top tier Barolo they are generally including wines such as Bartolo Mascarello, G. Mascarello Monprivato, B. Giacosa (recent vintage of the red labels probably passed $300 on release), Cappellano, Cavallotto, etc. most of which are less than $200 on release in a good vintage.

Nathan Smyth

Scarecrow In Feburary

#38 Post by Nathan Smyth » February 24th, 2017, 9:57 am

Dale Williams wrote:But the most expensive single bottling does not equal the top tier..
Actually, the most expensive single bottling is precisely the top tier.

$300 will buy you mid-tier wines like Giacosa White Label.

But $300 ain't never gonna get you another Giacosa Red Label - them days are gone forever.

Unless the world's central banksters quit inventing fake money out of thin air, and we finally experience the catastrophic consequences of the deflation we deserve.

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

Scarecrow In Feburary

#39 Post by Mark Y » February 24th, 2017, 10:13 am

I think you can get Dujac CDR for ~$300..
If that's "low end Burg" for Nathan, I wanna drink what he drinks.. ;)
Y.e.

rick m

Scarecrow In Feburary

#40 Post by rick m » February 24th, 2017, 1:48 pm

L J McLeod wrote:Is it spring deliv?

Lyndon

if i recall...delivery is in end of march?
ITB
rick matsui

Al R

Scarecrow In Feburary

#41 Post by Al R » February 24th, 2017, 1:54 pm

My order last year was placed March 16 and delivered April 13.

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

Scarecrow In Feburary

#42 Post by Scott Brunson » February 24th, 2017, 3:26 pm

Al R wrote:

My last year's order was delivered about a month ago (FL). [snort.gif]
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

PaulMills
GCC Member
GCC Member

Scarecrow In Feburary

#43 Post by PaulMills » February 24th, 2017, 7:18 pm

Scott Brunson wrote:
Al R wrote:

My last year's order was delivered about a month ago (FL). [snort.gif]

It is a good thing you are not waiting on Bedrock to ship.
(Said in a sarcastic voice regarding another thread on another board where a guy was bashing Bedrock for delayed shipments to a hot state when he should understand his shipping window is about two weeks).

PaulMills
GCC Member
GCC Member

Scarecrow In Feburary

#44 Post by PaulMills » February 24th, 2017, 7:19 pm

And I am still waiting on my allocation. Buying Etain did not help.

PaulMills
GCC Member
GCC Member

Scarecrow In Feburary

#45 Post by PaulMills » February 24th, 2017, 7:20 pm

S. Stevenson wrote:I hate to say this, but it's just another high end Napa Cab , like most of the others, in a money grab. And really, does the world need more of this? I stopped buying these wines looooooong ago...

You have said that about soooo many times about soooo many wineries that it has lost its effect.

J. Galang
GCC Member
GCC Member

Scarecrow In Feburary

#46 Post by J. Galang » March 1st, 2017, 9:05 am

order placed :)
Joel Galang

Jim Clary
GCC Member
GCC Member

Scarecrow In Feburary

#47 Post by Jim Clary » March 1st, 2017, 9:34 am

My allocation was also cut in half, to 3 bottles. Bought it and wish listed for more. Love these wines.
Jim Clary

rick m

Scarecrow In Feburary

#48 Post by rick m » March 1st, 2017, 10:51 am

order placed as well.....in for 2 x 3 pack and a mag
ITB
rick matsui

Andy.Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member

Scarecrow In Feburary

#49 Post by Andy.Cohen » March 1st, 2017, 11:37 am

Allocation cut from 6-3 but ordered and wishlisted

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

Scarecrow In Feburary

#50 Post by Mark Y » March 1st, 2017, 11:55 am

This is overprice, complete garbage. Everyone should smarten up and drop this list ASAP

seriously - drop please.

so i can finally get off the waitlist! ;)
Y.e.

Return to “Wine Talk”