TN: NV Egly-Ouriet Champagne Brut "Les Vignes de Vrigny" 1er Cru

NV Egly-Ouriet Champagne Brut “Les Vignes de Vrigny” 1er Cru - France, Champagne (1/29/2017)
July 2014 disgorgement

Deep, red fruit and citrus with a dominant bass note that carried through the palate. This is a dark-toned Champagne, almost meaty in its intensity. I have had several editions of this wine, and always enjoy it. This edition seems more serious than some prior versions.

Posted from CellarTracker

I love this wine and buy it every year. Meunier can certainly yield serious, extremely good Champagne, despite what most of the big houses say about it. I love those distinctive red fruit tones that I don’t often find in Champagnes that aren’t rose. Have you had the 2015 disgorgement? I think that’s my favorite yet.

Laura and I had a more recent disgorgement (I think it was 2015) at an event in December, but it got crushed by wines from Moussé Fils and Bérêche.

Was it the Bérêche that’s in the same price-range as the E-O ($55-$59)?

I tried Bérêche while I was in Italy, and it was very nice…but for the money I’d rather have E-O or Bouchard.

I’m sorry to resuscite such and old thread, but I have question that didn’t seem to warrant a new one: would you suggest this or the Tradition NV as an entry-point into Egly Ouriet’s line-up?

I’d suggest the Tradition—which is in fact no longer called the “Tradition”, but rather just Brut Grand Cru since last year.

The erstwhile Tradition has more of the characteristic Egly-Ouriet “patina”, whereas the Vignes de Vrigny is a bit more fruit-driven.

The entry-point is difficult to assess here since it depends on your preferences. The Tradition NV is a blend of Pinot Noir (majority) and Chardonnay (minority). The Vignes de Vrigny is 100% Meunier and I believe is not aged as long on lees. They both show quite a different profile. I find the Tradition fresher, more mineral and creamy while the Vrigny is nuttier, spicier and more concentrated. I find that both can benefit from a few years rest after release.

Isn’t the Vignes de Vrigny almost a “unicorn” in the Egly-Ouriet lineup? Though a delightful and yummy Champagne!

Egly-Ouriet’s Les Crayeres champagne is up there with the best champagnes I have each year. Can’t recommend enough! I’ll have to look for the Les Vignes de Vrigny.

Just wait until they release the first disgorgement of their new Blanc de Blancs!

That is news to me! Thank you! Any hint on the release date of this new cuvée and on the number of bottles produced?

Not that I can recall, I tasted it as a vin clair in 2019 so the first vintage / base vintage will be 2018. Will ask more when I see Francis next, I’m going to be doing a vertical with him for a retrospective feature after the harvest.

What is the characteristic “patina” you are referring to William? I know he likes to age his wines on lees for quite a while, is that part of it?

Thanks Phil. The Vignes de Vrigny sounds awesome. I love nutty Champagnes [wow.gif]

I agree that the “Tradition” gives a better impression of the lineup as a whole, but I far prefer the Vrigny. It’s a great idea to try both if possible.

Egly’s barrel fermentation and élevage (including his cooperage choices - all the barrels come from his friend Dominique Laurent) tend to impart a distinctive style to the wine, for me somewhat reminiscent of praline.

Since Vignes de Vrigny is vinified and raised in tank, it’s a bit more fruit driven, without the aromas that come from barrel fermentation. And that’s why I would respectfully depart from Phil’s characterization of it as “nutty” - perhaps with age, but that hasn’t been my experience on release.

I see, that makes sense. What a coincidence though! Dominique Laurent is about the only producer I can afford aged Cote de Nuits from, and indeed I have a 2002 Gevrey Chambertin La Petite Chapelle 1er laying around awaiting to be opened. When I do get around to taste it I’ll make sure to memorise any particular oak flavors and compare with Egly Ouriet’s wines, even though they have probably subsidised by now.

William, would you also agree that the taste profile of a 100% Pinot Meunier wine is going to be much more fruit driven than Chardonnay or even Pinot Noir, with all other things (including vinification choices) being equal?

P.S. I may be getting a little “out over my skis” here. It won’t be the first (or the last) time.

I think in many cases it does (if your “being equal” includes also harvesting dates), since Pinot Meunier ripens earlier than Pinot Noir and many producers tend to harvest Meunier comparatively later than they would harvest Pinot Noir, resulting in higher potential alcohol, softer acidity and sweeter fruit flavors.

However, many Meunier-oriented producers tend to pick their grapes earlier (or have sites where the grapes ripen more slowly and can be harvested later) resulting in wines that can be as crisp, bright and mineral as Chardonnays and Pinot Noirs.

Another Pinot Meunier related question:

I was looking at the 100% Meunier Champagnes I’ve had (and can remember): Jérôme Prévost Les Béguines, É-O Vignes de Vrigny (just last week), Bérêche Rive-Gauche and also others I know of: Laherte Vignes d’Autrefois, Gosset Meunier, Dehours Terre de Meunier, etc. They all seem to be Extra-Brut or even lower dosage. Is there a reason for this? Does higher dosage not work well with Pinot Meunier or is it just coincidence or a byproduct of the current lower dosage trend? Or maybe there are a lots of other 100% Meunier out there that have higher dosage and I am unaware of…

Our house champagne is Jose Michel meunier which is brut. Actually had it last night with Geoduck sashimi. It is tough to beat for the price.

Egly-Ouriet blanc de blanc is the most exciting news I’ve heard in a long time!!