Ideas on an aged killer Brunello

Lately my wife has gone hog wild for Brunello Di Montalcinos. She has liked every single one of them from Ciacci to La Serena to Tenuta Di Sesta. All young vintages like '10 and '11. However most have been painfully young and I tell her, “Wait till you try one with some age”!

Her birthday is coming up on Feb 11 and I’d like to get her one that has mellowed but still knock her brains out. Can I get advice as to which vintage I should be looking at and what producer?

We both liked the dark fruit of the 2010 La Serena and felt that with age the strong mineral component along with the higher alcohol would mellow and the wine would be profound. This was in contrast to a lot of the other ones which were the rose petal, lighter more finessed styles. However I believe an aged version of one of those classic styles would be equally as mind-blowing akin to a Musigny or a Barolo. So bottom line any producer/style would work.

Any advice on a US source for aged Brunellos would be appreciated as well. I want to make a statement so I can spend whatever it takes.

Best I´ve had:
Caparzo La Casa 1982, 85, 90

http://www.ballsquarefinewines.com/sku11777.html

Lisini makes beautiful traditionally styled Brunello that ages well. That 2001 is a fantastic wine and in its prime. The Chicago Wine Company also has the 1997 for $100.

Poggio Di Sotto - 2001 about $135 and I’m sure the Brunello is on point…everything I’ve had from them is amazing.

Biondi Santi Riserva to my taste is quintessential aged Brunello. But it is very expensive.

I would recommend the normal bottling in a year like 1997 if cost is an issue.

what is the price range you’re thinking of? Some 04s are starting to drink while 01 and 99 are gorgeous right now as well. But, the price range at least gets things started

Does anyone know how the Sesti brunelli from 1997/1998/1999 are doing these days?

In their youth, they were magnificent wines.

But I haven’t seen one in years.

I really have no idea what is available there but Il Poggione is a traditional producer whose Brunello ages well. The 1975 normale a year or two ago was singing.

Well since I want a barnstormer then I’m thinking up to $300… Something with a little body… I was thinking 2001 but should I be thinking older? Or can 15 year old Brunello be resolved? Many of the CT notes I have been reading suggest 2001’s are still youngish… There have been a few that are reviewed as drinking prime…

The 01 Poggio di Sotto Kirk mentioned is in a great spot, asks the 97 altesino res.

It’s a bit over the budget ($500), but you’d be going all out with a 1999 Soldera.

Nothing wrong with 2011 if she tends to prefer those more vibrant fruit profiles, 11 was a very tasty accessible year, otherwise look at 06, 01, 99 for my palate. If you went for something like a Biondi Santi then older would be better, whereas an il marroneto normale would be great in 2011, older for riserva. For that bigger style I +1 the suggestion of La Casa from Caparzo (07 or 09), but for me, at that budget, there is nothing like Poggio di Sotto normale or riserva 04, 01, or 99. winesearcher should be of help in sourcing these bottles.

'01 Valdicava Madonna del Piano

Rory’s suggestion of Poggio di Sotto is an excellent option as well.

Conte Costanti 1990 if you can find it, if not look for the 1997 Riserva

Call Jamie at Chamber Street in NYC. They often have some old in stock or on the water.
1990 Corte Pavone and 88 Sassetti Pertimali are two of my all time favorites.

2nd the rec on the '97 Altesino Riserva, which is a beauty and seems widely available at $100.

I had their '01 Riserva a few months ago and it was very, very good. Ditto the '97 Fattoi, which was even better (a friend compared it to a Ferrari), although you don’t see their wines too often.

Have had a few really nice aged Brunello. The '79 Casanova di Neri is excellent as is their '81 Riserva. A 1969 Tenute Silvio Nardi was really tasty last year.

+1 on the 2001 Valdicava Madonna Del Piano. It’s on my list if I had just 3 wines before I go.

One note of caution, be very careful where you buy, we’ve had a run of bad older Brunello lately. Almost staggering in how many. And no recourse from seller. A suggestion Roland Hankerson, JJ Buckley.