Two old California Cabernets

The first was a William Hill Reserve 1978. Very little fruit, very funky on opening which blew off. Interesting aromatics but not particularly pleasant. Very acidic finish, although the wine did bloom a little to hide it, but still a sharpness in the aftertaste. 83

The Mondavi 1970s was magnificent. I purchased two bottles for almost nothing as the label had completely disappeared on one, and was recognizably Mondavi on the second but no date. The 1970 ID came from the vendor. Nothing on the cork.

Phenomenal nose of dark fruit, anise and smoked meat. Structure had nicely resolved, seamless on palate. Great finish, and as it tailed off all the complexity of the wine came through. We drank it over an hour and a half, and it showed absolutely no sign of fading. 97

I have had a few William Hill wines with age on them and they were even worse than what you describe.

I love some of these old Cali cabs. I just opened a bottle of 1975 Freemark Abbey Boshe last night that I had purchased from the winery a couple years ago. It was in perfect shape and was really enjoyable. A little one-dimensional, but a very good, fully mature wine.

I once enjoyed a lovely William Hill 1978 Magnum, referred to as Gold Top if that has any distinction, during a Merced tasting group event. I have some 750s sourced since, I should place one upright.

I am opening some old stuff tonight at Union Square Cafe. People are welcome to join for a glass.

Just inherited 100s of bottle of cali cabs one particular 1978 inglenook petite sirah 5.0 rating, looking forward to, but the last was 1978 Robert mondavi cabernet sauvignon 4.3 rating. The critics loved it,

Wow.