TN: TablasCreek Roussanne '14...(short/boring)

Pobega’d this last night:

1. TablasCreekVnyds Roussanne AdelaidaDist/PasoRobles (13.0%; EB; www.TablasCreek.com) 2014: Med.gold color; very strong classic Rouss/honeysuckle/floral/apple blossom slight chalky/mineral quite fragrant nose; slightly tart beautiful floral/honeysuckle/Rouss ripe/peachy/spicy/nutmeg light chalky/perfumed talc lovely balanced/structured flavor; very long/lingering rich/lush fairly tart very strong Rouss/honeysuckle/ripe peach slight chalky/mineral/perfumed talc finish; lots of rich/lush fruit but the acidity to bring it into balance and give it structure; stays well away from DollyParton territory; a beautiful Roussanne that should easily go out 10 yrs or more; great price at $26.50

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. This wine is normally $35/btl. Thru the end of the month, the Roussanne is on a special discount. So w/ my VINsider discount, + shipping, this is a really good price.
    Tom

Tom, we opened one on Thursday night, absolutely agree with your notes here, definitely an excellent Roussanne and a fantastic buy.

Killer food wine for seafood btw. Stands up to any sauce.

I remain truly surprised that this variety does not get more love here and elsewhere, as it can make an absolutely tremendous wine that is both lovely young and improves nicely with bottle age.

Tablas is doing great stuff with the grape, both as a stand alone and as a major part of their blends, as is done in CdP. I’m digging what Qupe continues to do with grape as well as Stolpman, Zaca Mesa, Alban and Jaffurs. I have not tried Anthony Yount’s Kinero Cellars Rustler, using grapes from James Berry, but have very much enjoyed the Copain wines I’ve been able to source from there.

Any other good ones out there I am missing domestically?

Cheers!

Two Shepherds is terrific…I think he has only made a stand alone Roussanne once or twice; usually it is part of a white blend.

Art,

Thanks for your reply - yep, William is making some very nice, food friendly, acid-driven wines. Not sure if he is making a straight Roussanne this year, but I’ll ask him this afternoon (he is on the Board of Directors of the Rhone Rangers along with me).

Cheers!

It gets some love from me! Much more interesting and longer lived than viognier. I’d add to the above lists: Truchard. They are very under the radar. Amazingly, Whole Foods carries their roussanne. Probably my overall favorite is the Stolpman L’Avion. I’m finishing off my 08s and they are still drinking very well.

Big Basin’s estate rousanne is a personal favorite of mine. Can be drink now or laid down for 10 years…

https://www.bigbasinvineyards.com/store/detail?item=2013-homestead-block-roussanne

We enjoyed a nice 100% roussanne from J. Scott Cellars (Eugene, OR) a while back. Also had an excellent Copain James Berry Vnyd roussanne many moons ago but it appears they stopped making that around '07 or so.

I really love this Roussane and wish I had more. The 2014 is one of the tastiest ones I’ve had in a while.

Jason thinks this may be about his best one yet, Larry.
Tom