Cellartracker Fun! What were You Drinking 10 Years Ago?

Got lost in cellartracker this morning and starting reliving drinking moments while looking through old tasting notes. Thought it would be fun to go back a bit and see how my tastes have changed. I went back 10 years, for kicks.
I was just starting to pay real attention to wine, drinking mostly Cali stuff I could find, and before I got turned on to the devil that is Burgundy.
This might be more embarrassing for some (like me!), but this is what I was drinking (and scoring, lol) 10 years ago. How about you?

• 2003 Failla Syrah Phoenix Ranch - USA, California, Napa Valley (1/27/2007)
    Lots of smoke and earthiness on the nose. Palate has some upfront earthiness and blue fruit, but the mid-palate is lacking. Sets up nicely, but just fades too quickly. Rather tannic right now as well. Quaffable, but it’s lacking something I can’t quite put my finger on. Rather simple Syrah really. (87 pts.)
  • 2004 Melville Syrah Estate Verna’s - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (1/25/2007)
    This a brooding and brawny Syrah for $18. Packed with dark, meaty notes on the nose followed by lots of blue fruit, licorice and more gaminess on the palate. Rather massive wall of tannins on the long backside suggest this could use a little more time, at least for my palate. Still an excellent buy under $20. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

10 years ago I was keeping partially full bottles of Yellowtail under my kitchen sink for weeks on end. Oh, those were simpler times, and had I stayed on that path (and continued thinking Blue Moon was the pinnacle of craft beer, and that Jameson was the only whiskey I needed), I’d probably be a helluva lot closer to retirement.

I hear that [cheers.gif]

I was in law school drinking Clos St. Jean CDP and Marquis Philips Shiraz and Cab. Ghost Block seemed to have just come out, and I was occasionally scoring a bottle of Gemstone with the loans I am still paying off. Sometimes a Pride or Turnbull cab.

A fun exercise and look back. I was in my early days of wine geekdom and smitten with bigger/riper wines from the new world. And wouldn’t you know it … 10 years ago to the day, I attended an eBob Australia Day offline! Still friends with many/most of the gang that attended that offline.

AUSTRALIA DAY DINNER > - Tagine - Chicago, IL (1/26/2007)

A fun ebob offline to celebrate Aussie wines.
ONE

• 1998 Jim Barry Shiraz The Armagh > - Australia, South Australia, Mount Lofty Ranges, Clare Valley
    Aromas of blackberry liqueur and speramint on the nose. Abundant blackberry fruit shows restraint and elegance. Strong undercurrent of acid lifts the fruit through a strong finish. Shows great balance. > (92 pts.)
  • 2003 Mitolo Shiraz G.A.M. > - Australia, South Australia, Fleurieu, McLaren Vale
    Intense smokey blue- and blackberry nose. Palate has big, ripe black fruits, pepper and french toast notes. Well stuffed. Fruit disguises big tannins with acid providing sufficient cut. Very fun to drink now. > (94 pts.)
  • 2004 Mitolo Shiraz Reiver > - Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Barossa Valley
    Dense monolithic nose of blackberries. Full of ripe, youthful black fruits with floral and coffee notes. Broad and long across the palate. This is totally unevolved; appears to be some complexity lying beneath. Not ready. Hold 1-2 years. > (91 pts.)

TWO - DEAD ARM

• 1998 d’Arenberg Shiraz The Dead Arm > - Australia, South Australia, Fleurieu, McLaren Vale
    Effusive and lavish aromas of black fruits, spice, mint and smoke. Juicy and opulent in the mouth with blackberry, licorice, smoke and pepper. Silky tannins are melded to the fruits. Excellent. > (95 pts.)
  • 2001 d’Arenberg Shiraz The Dead Arm > - Australia, South Australia, Fleurieu, McLaren Vale
    Dense nose of dark fruits and spice is rather unevolved. The palate has deep, pure black fruits, licorice and toasty notes. Totally stuffed with dark fruit and silky tannic structure. Probably better than the '98 in the long run, but not as delineated tonight. > (93 pts.)

THREE

• 1999 Rolf Binder/Veritas Shiraz Hanisch > - Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Barossa Valley
    Provocative aromas of blackberry, mint and smoke. Palate shows the complexity of aged, spicy, brambly black fruit. Some meat and leather notes. Powerful yet elegant and precise. > (94 pts.)
  • 2001 Greenock Creek Shiraz Seven Acre > - Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Barossa Valley
    Aromas of smoked meat, blackberries and spice. Concentrated dark fruits are opulent, multi-layered, pure and focused. Silky tannins. Wow! > (96 pts.)

FOUR

• 1998 Kay Brothers Shiraz Block 6 Amery Vineyards > - Australia, South Australia, Fleurieu, McLaren Vale
    Dense and full nose is rather unevolved. Big and brooding black fruits with licorice and scorched earth notes. A huge, delicious wine that seemingly hasn’t budged. > (92 pts.)
  • 1998 Kay Brothers Shiraz Hillside Amery Vineyards > - Australia, South Australia, Fleurieu, McLaren Vale
    Effusive nose of black fruits and mint. Palate has generous black fruits, licorice, pepper and smoke. Today it’s more giving and evolved / complex than the block six. > (93 pts.)
  • 2003 Torbreck Shiraz The Factor > - Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Barossa Valley
    Full throttle and complex nose of dark fruits, herbs, licorice and peppermint. The palate is still tight and not as generous. Great concentration of fruit and length. Give this more time. > (94 pts.)

FIVE - DESSERT

• NV Buller Calliope Rare Muscat > - Australia, Victoria, North East, Rutherglen
    Soaring nose of ripe, sweet raisiny fruit and toffee. Thick and viscous palate has notes caramel, prunes and fig. Nothing subtle about this wine. Delicious. > (93 pts.)
  • NV Buller Calliope Rare Tokay > - Australia, Victoria, North East, Rutherglen
    Similar to the Muscat in flavor profile. More elegant and ligter weight. Also delicious. > (93 pts.)

Posted from > CellarTracker

I can get nine-and-a-half years back . . . .

• 2002 Alban Vineyards Syrah Lorraine - USA, California, Central Coast, Edna Valley (7/14/2007)
    This is an intense wine, yet slightly one dimensional. Very pure extract of blue and black fruit. Alcohol in check and tannins nicely integrated. It is singing now, but would be interesting to track its proggress as it ages. My guess is that it will mellow into something with less intesity but a bit more complex. (94 pts.)
  • 2005 Siduri Pinot Noir Keefer Ranch Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (7/14/2007)
    Another winner from Keefer Ranch fruit. This was a wine of contrasts – high acid with a nice creamy finish; muted nose but with an explosive palate of red fruits and spice and maybe even a hint of pie crust (!). It came together nicely after about 90 minutes open. As with many other 2005s, this will benefit from a few more years in the bottle. (92 pts.)

Interesting exercise. Some things change, some things remain the same.

2005 MacMurray Ranch Pinot Gris Russian River Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (1/27/2007)
I am not a big pinot gris drinker but this one was probably te best I have had. Very enjoyable wine. Think I will pick up a few more. (91 pts.)

2004 Carlisle Zinfandel Carlisle Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (1/27/2007)
Beautiful zin. The first one of these. Decanted a short time but would do better with an hour or two. Fruit and spice nose with great complexity and depth. Nice strong fruit without being jammy. Bravo!! (93 pts.)

Shocking! I was drinking Riesling!

And I Port

Very cool exercise, indeed!

On or directly around this day 10 years ago, I consumed:

2001 Daniel Gehrs Shiraz (on 1/26/07)
2003 Rosemount Estate Cabernet/Merlot/Petit Verdot Vintner’s Reserve (on 1/28/07 - big spender at $8.98)
2000 Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon (on 2/1/07)

And I Burgundy! [cheers.gif]

(and Riesling and Port)

My per bottle $ spend avg 10 yrs ago was like $15.
Today, closer to $50.
This is why we can’t have nice things.

Interesting! I was drinking Burgundy, Riesling, Barolo, but not champagne, as I couldn’t stand it back then. A bit more Bordeaux and a lot more Rhone than now.

The biggest difference is I drank less frequently, but a lot more high priced wine then, as my wine consumption was happening mostly at themed dinners and wine gatherings. Since then, I’ve settled down, gotten married, started eating at home more often and discovered the joys of having a bigger cellar with food-friendly options that don’t require discussion and contemplation. Sadly, it doesn’t translate to spending less now.

This was fun ! 10 years ago, plus/minus a few days, we drank:

2003 Loring Pinot Noir “The Llama”
2002 Radio-Coteau Pinot Noir La Neblina
1979 Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon Special Selection

Funny, the opposite for me. I was drinking more, but lesser quality/price. Now it’s fewer but “better” bottles.

My earliest entry was 11/1/07. 2005 Radio-Coteau Savoy pinot noir.

I think I’m more upset that I’m 37 and have been doing this for almost 10 years. Getting old.

Fun thread!
No notes in Jan 2007, but Feb had

2002 Adelsheim Elizabeth’s Reserve Pinot
2000 Domaine Alfred Califa Pinot
2003 Biale Black Chicken Zin
2002 Sea Smoke Botella
2002 Linne Calodo Rising Tides

I was 20, in college at Pepperdine and slapping the bag of franzia on the beach…that and killing way too young 05 bdx because I ‘heard it was a good vintage…’

My first CellarTracker consumption entry was from April 2008. It was 1989 Chateau Montrose – a very good start!

In 2007, I went to Burgundy, visited Truchot, Mugneret-Gibourg, Rossignol-Trapet, Clos des Lambrays, Patrick Essa at Buisson-Charles, Mestre-Michelot, Michel Noellat, Bouchard, Jadot and Chandon de Briailles. In other words, not much has changed. But, I was not on CellarTracker