TN: 1998 Schrader Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Upper Block Gaudeamus Vineyard

• 1998 Schrader Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Upper Block Gaudeamus Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley (1/24/2017)
    Have always loved this wine…and have purchased and drunk my fair share of it. Lot of people panned it, so that’s why I was able to buy a bunch at crazy good prices over the last 10yrs! Well, last bottle I had was 6 yrs ago, which was another great bottle, but starting to show some age and sourness. In my best Mark Twain voice…“The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.” THIS bottle tonight is spectacular! Starts off with a little funky barnyard brett, the good kind! Dark silky berry fruits…perfectly ripe and liqueured…with the slightest green streak of tobacco, sage and herbs, which I find fascinating in this wine…like you would Heitz Martha’s. Full bodied and rich with mocha oak barrel, cedar spice, cocoa powder…but NOT over the top sweet like you see in most Cabs now. Youthful, plush full mouth feel, complexities all over the map…and plenty left in the tank. I’ve only had a couple Schrader Cabs other than this one…but I can say that this 98 is still my fav! (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I know I’ve heard the answer, but don’t remember exactly…what’s up with the “Kongsgaard” cork? Winemaker back then?

So yes, winemaker was John Kongsgaard…and the vineyard is(was) on Atlas Peak. Don’t know if the fruit is still grown today?

I must have received all the good bottles…as another one shines! I find my last note is still spot on! I can’t really add or subtract anything…maybe a little more bricking from age? LOVE the wonderfully integrated herbal-ness in this wine!

I just picked up a bottle from KL Auction for $84. I haven’t had any Schrader or and Cabs from 1998, but the reviews on CT (including yours) seem promising, especially for the price. Excited to try this out!

Do you think it benefits from a brief decant or is it ready to go from the bottle (or brief decant for sediment)?