Pre Berserker Day tasting note: 1990 Navarro Anderson Valley pinot noir...

In anticipation of Berserker Day, it was time to kill my last Navarro 1990 pinot.

It was the 1990 Anderson Valley, Mendocino, Méthode à l’Ancienne.

Still vibrant and alive at 26.

The most outstanding impressions were the absolute absence of oxidized flavors. It tasted mature, but not old.

Also, and this flavor note doesn’t pop up that much for me anymore, it had nice ‘fleshy’ tones, like very rare wonderful steak, or fresh steak tartar.

As Tom would say, a wee bit of the bully pulpit: Parker misdescribes this impression…“Fleshy is a synonym for chewy, meaty, or beefy. It denotes that the wine has a lot of body, alcohol, and extract, and usually a high glycerin content.” This is a 12.8% ABV wine that has this as a light aspect that used to be more common than it is now, and ABV tended to be lower back in the day.

The wine was lighter in color and, don’t get mad, had a touch of Burgundy to it. It had great acidity and structure, some soft ‘red berry’ flavors, and a medium finish that was was upper mid-palate.

The fruit was still bright with secondary/tertiary flavors and is a perfect food wine.

It leans AFWE.

So, two thumbs up for this wine and the winery’s track record.

Thanks for the note, Anton! I’m stoked to hear the '90 is holding up well. Our approach hasn’t changed much since then, even though we’ve grown a bit in size, our approach to making this wine has stayed consistent. It’s all about small lot fermentations - hand punch downs in 1/2 ton bins. This way, we can maximize our control over extraction during the fermentation process, and press no lot before it’s time. The goal is to make wines with vivid fruit, lively acidity, and good structure; which will hopefully have an extended plateau of maturation, and age gracefully. Cheers!