Champagne vs. the World... that time of the year, again

A group of (freq)uent flyers gathered, yet again, to get the best Fish, the best Greek food, and to make American France Again neener
Its always great to meet some new and old friends, and along the way, open few bubbles for the enjoyment of the team.

I did not taste all of them (or certainly note to the level that I can give detailed notes on all), but over the course of 4 hours we were able to eat, drink and enjoy several bubbles et al. The weather collaborated this year, and so did the crowd that set a good bubbly bar champagne.gif

Hence, by approx. flight order

NV Gosset Champagne Grand Rosé Brut- “Gosset, what a great champagne” is a known statement of one of my friends (who was not there). We decided to test it and put this one first. I did not have it for two years or so. It is as I recalled, but even better/bigger on the nose now. Great floral. Amber to rose-gold color, imho more on the amber side (literally, as I remember from the first time I had it few years ago). On the nose- floral, much bigger/wider than it was in previous years, peach and fruits. On the dry side, but a bit more lemon like. Finish medium to long. Long, long bubbles. It run very very fast by the group, including refill requests. Vote of the audience was, I believe- this one could be a reference rosé. I gave it 92-93 before and I do hold. It drinks above its price range

NV Jacquesson & Fils Champagne Cuvée No. 738- A very nice addition to the line of NV’s 7XX series. I agree with others in the group about the lime/lemon, dry side dominant. I think it was also a great experience to have it with the seafood appetizers. It literally upgraded the taste to a brand new level, put out the best of the chard in the Jacquesson Cuvée, and extended its finish (the lightly grilled shrimps and the cold appetizer along side… mmm… wonderful match). I would have probably enjoyed it more if I was able to ‘park’ but it is a long line of bubbles. Also, once the 733 Dégorgement Tardif it raised the bar on Jacquesson.

NV Marguet Père et Fils Champagne Grand Cru Elements ‘11 – Had it before, and it is a nice stable grower wine. To the group I think it was a great surprise, and divided between those who asked for extra (about two thirds?) and those who said- nice, but others in the line were better. Funny that more than one taster said “green apple”. (What I have from previous tastings of this one). Slightly drier than I recalled. Good match to the end of the appetizers line.

NV Pierre Paillard Champagne Grand Cru Brut Rosé (“Les Terres Roses”)-- I was informed that I did not serve rosé for the last two bottles, so I pulled the Paillard. Not a secret that I am a big fan, and this one is a new dégorgement compared to the ones I had before (“Les Terres Roses”, based on mainly '12 and '11). Okay, let’s say it- WOW. As good as previous dégorgement, and not a carbon copy. Just bring the best one in the current grapes available. It does maintain those small, long and stable bubbles that previous Pierre Paillard rose had. Color wide, a bit darker but still crystal clear pink pale color. More full mouth fruits (compared with previous bottling, and with the Gosset NV). Nice blossom smell, on the dry side. The crowd ranked it above the Gosset, and many had it for the first time and added it to their to do list. Vote with the bottle counts? It ran so fast I did not have a chance to request a refill…

NV Jacquesson & Fils Champagne Cuvée No. 733 Dégorgement Tardif- I was very curious to see what 8-9 years on lees before dégorgement do , and I in two words- Great Work. It was worth waiting. More full body compared to the 738 served, and certainly comes more as a full meal wine (like a nice large fish). I would say that the golden touch, more of the butter/oak (maybe light honey on the background?) worked really well. I can tell that the crowd was very attracted by this one. 18 people, and I got about 12-13 refill requests to the glass. The rule we had to apply was- ladies first. Sorry, I did not get a second taste [cheers.gif]. Worth aging? I would say yes.

2009 Louis Roederer Champagne Brut Nature Cuvée Starck- Very nice, long taste lemon(ish). I thought it may have needed more time to open up, maybe even decanting? (postscript- it turns out few others were thinking about it too. I’d try it next time).
2013 Daniel & Julien Barraud Pouilly-Fuissé Les Crays (Mâconnais, Pouilly-Fuissé)- Very nice, enjoyable. I wanted to test again but it was gone pretty fast. Didn’t have specific notes to share.
NV Billecart-Salmon Champagne Brut Sous Bois - Somewhat crispy/more minerals on the palate. Very nice, but I was strategically balancing so I did not have the option to revisit.

The battle of the rosé – at the ‘demand’ of the crowd, we had to raise the rose bar and I sent side by side the '06 Piollot and the '06 Pol Roger.

2006 Piollot Champagne Les Gravelées Brut Nature - I had the '06 Piollot before. It is (like last time) easily recognized as rosé on nose alone, even without visuals. But, it was somewhat different this time. It did not develop the wide floral I recall. There was lots of good fruit balance on the palate, but compared to the other rosé is the line of the evening, it was slightly lagging. Could be that it needs more decanting (or alot more, as I recall from last tasting). I would say if you have it- put it on hold for a year before revisiting. Remains probably the darkest rosé champagne I’ve seen (due to the prep method, ‘the bleed’). Very young Pinot Noir. I would say-let it sleep for a while.

2006 Pol Roger Champagne Brut Rosé - First time I taste this one. For the crowd, and for me as well, the vote was pretty clear- 19 votes preferring the Pol Roger to the Piollot last night. Pale/Pink(slightly dark) salmon color. Very big fruit nose from PnP (great with white wine/wider glass). Nice stable bubbles. lots of berries on the nose, but not overwhelming. Great fit to any of the fish served on the meal, as well as the Greek lamb meatballs. Nice finish that makes you want more. But, since all wanted extra last night, it was not feasible. The vote on the battle of '06 was pretty clear. Roger got the upper hand [cheers.gif]

Until, one of the guests called for a ‘duel’ :wink: putting the '04 Bollinger (different vintage, I know)

2004 Bollinger Champagne Grande Année Rosé - Color wise very deep pale, great reflection in the glass. Different than the roger. More minerals on the nose and palate. Somewhat longer finish. You do get more of the cherries on this one. Someone (maybe two) in the group noted currant as well. Not sure how much, though I do recall currant from a previous tasting. I would simply note it is a great rosé to enjoy now, a full course material so to speak, and it has aging potential to develop more secondary tastes and extend the finish. But what do I know, I have a palate of a yak. The vote of the crowd was pretty clear though- it was added to the shopping list of about 4-5 of the participants.

2007 Eric Rodez Champagne Grand Cru Brut Millésimé – one of the guests picked it from (her report) about 3 dozen bubbles tasted in December as one that should be refreshing, minerally, fit to the meal and of great interest to the group. She delivered. Gold/bright gold color, tiny long bubbles. Crispy. Very nice minerals from the nose, and also on the palate. Medium finish. Great QPR. First time I had Rodez champagne and I think it deliveries above its price range. I want to revisit it in a smaller line/meal. I did not notice is much toast/more honey notes as others, but many did. Given that I’ve been ‘running’ the bottles rotation, I just did not have time to double check. And when I did, the bottle was gone :slight_smile:

2000 Deutz Champagne Cuvée William Deutz --Now, here is a good one for how a wide glass made a different. I was able to enjoy the nose from PnP on a flute, but then one of the guests offered me a zalto universal (I ran short on few glasses). The nose just ‘pops up’ wider, bigger, and longer on the white wine glass. I was looking for a descriptor of the taste- Yeasty nose? Citrus and lime on the nose and palate, certainly. Great gold color. stable long bubbles. Very rounded champagne, if it makes sense. All in, it was one of the best in the line, and has developed some of the secondary oak/toast and peppery tastes of older bubbles (okay, among the older bubbles I had). I can tell the finish was longer, and I can tell that the people I trust their palate have asked for more of this one. Added to my to do list.

2002 Gosset Champagne Celebris Extra Brut- Was nice, but I think the bottle was abit off compared to other bottles of this one I had before. More likely than not that I could not taste alot anymore give the length of the line, because other tasters have greatly enjoyed and asked for extra. To begin with, I was ‘balancing’ and since I had this one recently I put it on the side to try other things.

Five-six more wines that were very nice I sadly do not have useful notes about (I’d let others chime in). It is a challenge even over 3.5-4 hours. It was a long and enjoyable wine list, and none of the wines fell behind, imho. 19 guests and 19 bottles.
_20170122_091748.JPG
As expected, and as always delivered–the greatest Greek food, specially prepared, and ultra fresh. Great work of the Ithaka chef and suppliers to get us the fresh, the best and the most enjoyable service. The owner and his father did walk the extra mile with their crew. I hope some of the other guests took good pictures of the fish plates and offerings along the evening.

To summarize–more of everything flirtysmile Yamas!

(No detailed notes on 1988 Château Raymond-Lafon, 2009 Château Rieussec, 2009 Sea Smoke Pinot Noir Southing , 2015 Sojourn Pinot Noir Rodgers Creek Vineyard,2014 Domaine Machard de Gramont Puligny-Montrachet Les Houillères )

And got a better picture of the fish plate. The first of few excellent plates offered for the group, and then grilled over the course of the evening (to keep it all fresh, all the time) champagne.gif
20170121_192633.jpg
(Thank you Dan, cell phone camera was…)

Great notes and photos. I’ve had a few of those. It’s hard to disagree with my wife when she asks why we ever drink anything other than Champagne. The strongest argument is the 1500+ bottles of wine other than Champagne in our cellar, but if I were to start over, we’d be more Champagne-centric.

Cheers,
Warren

This really was a great night. Thanks again for setting it up.

My top 5

NV Pierre Paillard Champagne Grand Cru Brut Rosé (“Les Terres Roses”)
2000 Deutz Champagne Cuvée William Deutz
2006 Pol Roger Champagne Brut Rosé
NV Jacquesson & Fils Champagne Cuvée No. 733 Dégorgement Tardif
2004 Bollinger Champagne Grande Année Rosé