New Wine Preservation sustem - QikVin

I kinda like this one for keeping reds (I guess whites too) for a couple days…the oxygen intro in the simple act of pouring the wine won’t allow much more it seems to me…not a huge fan of the plastic but understand the utility of it…I do have to say the guy should have changed his shirt in the video in between the “one hour later” and “a few days” later segments.

I mean, how much air actually incorporates into a wine after it’s just sitting (the limited air in the space in the bottle) versus the O2 that actually incorporated during the decanting process? I suspect wine would taste about the same day 2 in the original bottle versus this one.

This looks ridiculous to me. You pour your wine into this ‘bottle’, thereby exposing it to massive amounts of oxygen in the process, then thereafter it’s supposed to help because of the limited exposure (AFTER you already exposed it all to oxygen)?

1 Like

By all rules of the English language, it should be pronounced ‘kick-vin.’

I’m no scientist but I think there is probably a substantial difference in O2 uptake from a pour versus a pour with continuous exposure to O2. If the plastic wasn’t so, umm, plasticky, it would be good way to preserve wines for a tasting room.

So a traditional neck space on a bottle of wine has 2.8ml of oxygen. Undisturbed oxygen to wine transfer occurs at a rate of 20ml per hour per square foot. Figure the neck surface area of wine is about 1 square inch, or 1/144 * 20ml/hr = 0.13ml/hr oxygen transfer. Or it’ll take 21 hours to completely integrate 2.8ml of oxygen at room temp.

Decanting adds about 5ml of oxygen to wine immediately, or it’d take almost two full days of wine being open (uncorked) to equal the what the guy is doing in this product. Not sure if I interpreted this paper super well (and it doesn’t appear peer reviewed) but it makes sense based on my own experience.

http://sdaws.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Oxygen-Updake-in-Wine.pdf

A one way, airtight valve you could screw into the top of a newly opened wine would do what this thing is trying to do without the full decant. It’d limit the air entering a bottle but, by the laws of hydrodynamics, some air will be entering in through the vacuum created by wine exiting the bottle, even through a self closing spout.

I suspect this will be a dud, but there are a lot of backers already. Selling the dream!

I agree with you in principle, however the rules of language break down when it comes to names. Usually product names are exempt for marketing reasons, but business owners can be just as reckless as parents with naming their babies. If “L-A” (pronounced “La Dasha”, though again rules would dictate this should be “La Hyphen Uh” if we are going to pronounce punctuation) can be allowed as a name, then shouldn’t this short sighted product name get a pass too?

People can pronounce and spell things however they want but I’ll still go to sleep knowing they’re idiots.

I agree with you on that!

If you argon or N2 the thing before pouring the bottle in it might help a lot. Also, pouring slowly, so it does not “glug” in the original bottle would likely help too. Details make a difference on these sorts of things.

Pump the air out using Vacuvin, put it in the fridge (red or white). Take it out next day or two and put it in lukewarm water for 15 minutes. Voila! The most nearly-perfect system I’ve run across.

Viewing the video I was wondering if all the air could be exiting via their one-way valve. What’s your theory here? Wouldn’t the Argon or N2 either be forced out in the same way as the air, or partially forced to mix into the wine to some degree (which is my thinking about the air as well)?

Air pumps dont work. You leave tons of oxygen left behind.

From what I have come to learn for the numerous previous threads and personal experience, there is no perfect system. I either use Pungo or immediately pour into smaller screw cap bottle (375 or 275) and chuck it into the fridge.

I’m reviving this old thread because the topic of Vacu Vin comes up from time to time. My experience is like Sebastian’s – pumping kills the aromas of a wine. Today I stumbled on an explanation of why that is in a paper that Jamie Goode wrote for a somms’ association:

[T]he Vacu Vin, uses specialized rubber stoppers and a pump to suck air out of the bottle, creating a partial vacuum. In practice, this method is disappointing for two reasons. First, the pump is likely to remove dissolved carbon dioxide and thus strip aromatic components from the wine, affecting its flavor. Second, the wine will have already absorbed oxygen during the process of opening and pouring—enough to cause significant oxidation over the succeeding few days.

Hope everyone is staying happy and healthy!

Bumping this thread to see if anyone has actually tried the Qikvin. A buddy of mine (casual wine drinker) sent me the link to the product and asked if it worked/was worth getting, so any first-hand feedback would be appreciated :slight_smile:

No personal experience but I am skeptical based on the oxygen exposure during decanting. Send him a 4-pack of Repour to try first. It’s worked great for me for a few days. And it’s qiker to use.

That’s probably a good call on the repour. Thought about Coravin at first but it’s too pricey for the usage he’d get out of it. He liked the idea of Qikvin as it seems easy to use , cost efficient, and he only has to buy one.

If nobody else has tried it here, I’ll mention repour. Thanks!

This system is similar to the Wine Squirrel, which is glass. More elegant looking cylinder, not trying to look like a cheap plastic wine bottle.

The solution to the O2 problem is siphoning. An assist with inert gas wouldn’t hurt. I had that problem with the half-bottle method - the natural choice in thee aulden dayes for very old wines. Despite immediate very gentle pouring through a funnel into a tilted bottle, corking and into the fridge, some of these would be shot a couple days later. Siphoning works.

I definitely like the idea of variable container plus siphoning.