New Wine Preservation sustem - QikVin

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Cameron Hughes
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1 Post by Cameron Hughes » January 20th, 2017, 11:50 am

I kinda like this one for keeping reds (I guess whites too) for a couple days...the oxygen intro in the simple act of pouring the wine won't allow much more it seems to me...not a huge fan of the plastic but understand the utility of it...I do have to say the guy should have changed his shirt in the video in between the "one hour later" and "a few days" later segments.

http://www.decanter.com/sponsored/qikvi ... le-352644/

Tom Gibson

#2 Post by Tom Gibson » January 20th, 2017, 11:58 am

I mean, how much air actually incorporates into a wine after it's just sitting (the limited air in the space in the bottle) versus the O2 that actually incorporated during the decanting process? I suspect wine would taste about the same day 2 in the original bottle versus this one.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#3 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 20th, 2017, 12:44 pm

This looks ridiculous to me. You pour your wine into this 'bottle', thereby exposing it to massive amounts of oxygen in the process, then thereafter it's supposed to help because of the limited exposure (AFTER you already exposed it all to oxygen)?
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Nolan E

#4 Post by Nolan E » January 20th, 2017, 12:54 pm

By all rules of the English language, it should be pronounced 'kick-vin.'
ITB
Nolan Ellis

Cameron Hughes
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#5 Post by Cameron Hughes » January 20th, 2017, 4:47 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:This looks ridiculous to me. You pour your wine into this 'bottle', thereby exposing it to massive amounts of oxygen in the process, then thereafter it's supposed to help because of the limited exposure (AFTER you already exposed it all to oxygen)?
I'm no scientist but I think there is probably a substantial difference in O2 uptake from a pour versus a pour with continuous exposure to O2. If the plastic wasn't so, umm, plasticky, it would be good way to preserve wines for a tasting room.

Tom Gibson

#6 Post by Tom Gibson » January 20th, 2017, 5:16 pm

So a traditional neck space on a bottle of wine has 2.8ml of oxygen. Undisturbed oxygen to wine transfer occurs at a rate of 20ml per hour per square foot. Figure the neck surface area of wine is about 1 square inch, or 1/144 * 20ml/hr = 0.13ml/hr oxygen transfer. Or it'll take 21 hours to completely integrate 2.8ml of oxygen at room temp.

Decanting adds about 5ml of oxygen to wine immediately, or it'd take almost two full days of wine being open (uncorked) to equal the what the guy is doing in this product. Not sure if I interpreted this paper super well (and it doesn't appear peer reviewed) but it makes sense based on my own experience.

http://sdaws.org/wp-content/uploads/201 ... n-Wine.pdf

Tom Gibson

#7 Post by Tom Gibson » January 20th, 2017, 5:22 pm

A one way, airtight valve you could screw into the top of a newly opened wine would do what this thing is trying to do without the full decant. It'd limit the air entering a bottle but, by the laws of hydrodynamics, some air will be entering in through the vacuum created by wine exiting the bottle, even through a self closing spout.

I suspect this will be a dud, but there are a lot of backers already. Selling the dream!

Scott Wi3gand
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Scott Wi3gand » January 21st, 2017, 8:32 am

Nolan E wrote:By all rules of the English language, it should be pronounced 'kick-vin.'
I agree with you in principle, however the rules of language break down when it comes to names. Usually product names are exempt for marketing reasons, but business owners can be just as reckless as parents with naming their babies. If "L-A" (pronounced "La Dasha", though again rules would dictate this should be "La Hyphen Uh" if we are going to pronounce punctuation) can be allowed as a name, then shouldn't this short sighted product name get a pass too?

Nolan E

#9 Post by Nolan E » January 21st, 2017, 9:00 am

People can pronounce and spell things however they want but I'll still go to sleep knowing they're idiots.
ITB
Nolan Ellis

Scott Wi3gand
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Scott Wi3gand » January 21st, 2017, 11:11 am

Nolan E wrote:People can pronounce and spell things however they want but I'll still go to sleep knowing they're idiots.
I agree with you on that!

Andrew Morris

#11 Post by Andrew Morris » January 21st, 2017, 11:19 am

If you argon or N2 the thing before pouring the bottle in it might help a lot. Also, pouring slowly, so it does not "glug" in the original bottle would likely help too. Details make a difference on these sorts of things.
Andrew Morris

calauber

#12 Post by calauber » January 21st, 2017, 12:31 pm

Pump the air out using Vacuvin, put it in the fridge (red or white). Take it out next day or two and put it in lukewarm water for 15 minutes. Voila! The most nearly-perfect system I've run across.
Curt Lauber

PeterJ

#13 Post by PeterJ » January 22nd, 2017, 12:20 am

Andrew Morris wrote:If you argon or N2 the thing before pouring the bottle in it might help a lot.
Viewing the video I was wondering if all the air could be exiting via their one-way valve. What's your theory here? Wouldn't the Argon or N2 either be forced out in the same way as the air, or partially forced to mix into the wine to some degree (which is my thinking about the air as well)?
Last edited by PeterJ on January 22nd, 2017, 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter J@ckel

Sebastian C.

#14 Post by Sebastian C. » January 22nd, 2017, 4:34 am

calauber wrote:Pump the air out using Vacuvin, put it in the fridge (red or white). Take it out next day or two and put it in lukewarm water for 15 minutes. Voila! The most nearly-perfect system I've run across.
Air pumps dont work. You leave tons of oxygen left behind.
C0rr3@

jhemming

#15 Post by jhemming » January 22nd, 2017, 6:41 am

From what I have come to learn for the numerous previous threads and personal experience, there is no perfect system. I either use Pungo or immediately pour into smaller screw cap bottle (375 or 275) and chuck it into the fridge.
Jason Hemming
Boston, MA

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by John Morris » March 22nd, 2018, 12:22 pm

Sebastian C. wrote:
calauber wrote:Pump the air out using Vacuvin, put it in the fridge (red or white). Take it out next day or two and put it in lukewarm water for 15 minutes. Voila! The most nearly-perfect system I've run across.
Air pumps dont work. You leave tons of oxygen left behind.
I'm reviving this old thread because the topic of Vacu Vin comes up from time to time. My experience is like Sebastian's -- pumping kills the aromas of a wine. Today I stumbled on an explanation of why that is in a paper that Jamie Goode wrote for a somms' association:
[T]he Vacu Vin, uses specialized rubber stoppers and a pump to suck air out of the bottle, creating a partial vacuum. In practice, this method is disappointing for two reasons. First, the pump is likely to remove dissolved carbon dioxide and thus strip aromatic components from the wine, affecting its flavor. Second, the wine will have already absorbed oxygen during the process of opening and pouring—enough to cause significant oxidation over the succeeding few days.
"I pencilled in half an hour to suffer fools tomorrow, but now I’m thinking I might bump it out until Monday." -- @duchessgoldblat

“Only he who has walked through the deepest valley knows how other valleys of lesser depth are relatively more walk-throughable, valley-wise.” – @TheTweetOfGod

Return to “Wine Talk”