What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
User avatar
Al Osterheld
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7472
Joined: March 15th, 2009, 5:47 am
Location: SF Bay
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#751 Post by Al Osterheld »

I opened one three weeks ago and also had the impression it was better with a decant at this point. The first Goodfellow wine I drank was a 2013 Durant Pinot Noir, even lighter and probably more understated than the Whistling Ridge. Loved it and ended up buying half of what the store had in stock (somebody else was also buying it), then started buying directly from Marcus.

-Al

User avatar
Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16532
Joined: September 11th, 2009, 1:29 pm
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#752 Post by Richard T r i m p i »

Just polished off my last 2012 Durant Pinot....contrasted with a 2012 PGC Durant Madrone Block. The PGC was more vintage typical while the Goodfellow highlighted Marcus's ability to preserve freshness and acidity in a warm vintage. Fine work!

RT

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 671
Joined: March 16th, 2020, 3:01 pm
Location: Denver
Has thanked: 93 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#753 Post by Max S. »

Al Osterheld wrote: January 1st, 2021, 1:41 pm I opened one three weeks ago and also had the impression it was better with a decant at this point. The first Goodfellow wine I drank was a 2013 Durant Pinot Noir, even lighter and probably more understated than the Whistling Ridge. Loved it and ended up buying half of what the store had in stock (somebody else was also buying it), then started buying directly from Marcus.

-Al
I'd agree with this, my first bottle made it to day 2 and better on the 2nd day.
5 w 0 m l 3 y

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 2244
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 53 times

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#754 Post by Marcus Goodfellow »

Richard T r i m p i wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 7:45 am Just polished off my last 2012 Durant Pinot....contrasted with a 2012 PGC Durant Madrone Block. The PGC was more vintage typical while the Goodfellow highlighted Marcus's ability to preserve freshness and acidity in a warm vintage. Fine work!

RT
That’s great to hear Rich! I need to find you a bottle of the 2012 Whistling Ridge. The vineyard handles the hot vintages better than the rest and the 2012 was overperforming my expectations when we tried it(still so young though).
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 2244
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 53 times

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#755 Post by Marcus Goodfellow »

Max S. wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 8:19 am
Al Osterheld wrote: January 1st, 2021, 1:41 pm I opened one three weeks ago and also had the impression it was better with a decant at this point. The first Goodfellow wine I drank was a 2013 Durant Pinot Noir, even lighter and probably more understated than the Whistling Ridge. Loved it and ended up buying half of what the store had in stock (somebody else was also buying it), then started buying directly from Marcus.

-Al
I'd agree with this, my first bottle made it to day 2 and better on the 2nd day.
Over the years, it seems that there is often a nice window for sampling Whistling Ridge young(for those who enjoy a crunchy wine), and then around 7 years the wines can be really enjoyable with lots of air, and then at 10 years old they reach a first mature phase but still need time/decanting. At 15 years the 2004 and 2005 are in a nice prime window(IMO).

Long time to wait, so I usually just have the decanter ready to go ;)

We opened the 2018 Beloved Acre two days ago, decanted and wound up drinking it last night after 30 hours in the decanter(very pretty but of all the 2018s, perhaps the most in need of a sleep in the cellar).
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

User avatar
Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16532
Joined: September 11th, 2009, 1:29 pm
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#756 Post by Richard T r i m p i »

Marcus Goodfellow wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 8:39 am
Richard T r i m p i wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 7:45 am Just polished off my last 2012 Durant Pinot....contrasted with a 2012 PGC Durant Madrone Block. The PGC was more vintage typical while the Goodfellow highlighted Marcus's ability to preserve freshness and acidity in a warm vintage. Fine work!
RT
That’s great to hear Rich! I need to find you a bottle of the 2012 Whistling Ridge. The vineyard handles the hot vintages better than the rest and the 2012 was overperforming my expectations when we tried it(still so young though).
You already have, one left in the cellar, along with 2 x 2012 Heritage. Is it time to start in on your 13's?

RT

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 671
Joined: March 16th, 2020, 3:01 pm
Location: Denver
Has thanked: 93 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#757 Post by Max S. »

Marcus Goodfellow wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 8:44 am
Max S. wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 8:19 am
Al Osterheld wrote: January 1st, 2021, 1:41 pm I opened one three weeks ago and also had the impression it was better with a decant at this point. The first Goodfellow wine I drank was a 2013 Durant Pinot Noir, even lighter and probably more understated than the Whistling Ridge. Loved it and ended up buying half of what the store had in stock (somebody else was also buying it), then started buying directly from Marcus.

-Al
I'd agree with this, my first bottle made it to day 2 and better on the 2nd day.
Over the years, it seems that there is often a nice window for sampling Whistling Ridge young(for those who enjoy a crunchy wine), and then around 7 years the wines can be really enjoyable with lots of air, and then at 10 years old they reach a first mature phase but still need time/decanting. At 15 years the 2004 and 2005 are in a nice prime window(IMO).

Long time to wait, so I usually just have the decanter ready to go ;)

We opened the 2018 Beloved Acre two days ago, decanted and wound up drinking it last night after 30 hours in the decanter(very pretty but of all the 2018s, perhaps the most in need of a sleep in the cellar).
I was planning to drink more of the 13 young, but think I'm going to hold off and see what it's like when it's truly mature. Also, can you make the bottles smaller so they fit in my wine cabinet? [snort.gif] Kidding, I'm getting some of those weinboxes to put on top of the racks just for you!
5 w 0 m l 3 y

User avatar
Jake Rubash
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 425
Joined: August 5th, 2015, 10:12 am
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#758 Post by Jake Rubash »

Opened our first Goodfellow Pinot yesterday, 2018 Old Vine Pommard, and followed through tonight... what the hell?? This is absolutely delicious! Such a full wine at 13% alcohol, red fruit for days and so silky smooth in the mouth. One of the most memorable wines I’ve had recently, outstanding

User avatar
Al Osterheld
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7472
Joined: March 15th, 2009, 5:47 am
Location: SF Bay
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#759 Post by Al Osterheld »

That wine is from Lewman vineyard, as I recall.

-Al

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 2244
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 53 times

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#760 Post by Marcus Goodfellow »

Al Osterheld wrote: January 13th, 2021, 7:26 pm That wine is from Lewman vineyard, as I recall.

-Al
Plus 1

Pommard vines from Dennis Lewman's original 1993 planting. Just an absolutely beautiful under the radar site producing some lovely wines. The OVP is a single 500L puncheon that was one of my favorite in the cellar.

Jake-I am really glad you enjoyed that wine, it sets the bar very high and I hope that the next Goodfellow wine you have meets the expectation as well.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

User avatar
Jake Rubash
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 425
Joined: August 5th, 2015, 10:12 am
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#761 Post by Jake Rubash »

Marcus Goodfellow wrote: January 13th, 2021, 7:50 pm
Al Osterheld wrote: January 13th, 2021, 7:26 pm That wine is from Lewman vineyard, as I recall.

-Al
Plus 1

Pommard vines from Dennis Lewman's original 1993 planting. Just an absolutely beautiful under the radar site producing some lovely wines. The OVP is a single 500L puncheon that was one of my favorite in the cellar.

Jake-I am really glad you enjoyed that wine, it sets the bar very high and I hope that the next Goodfellow wine you have meets the expectation as well.
Hey Marcus

We got a 6’er of your 2018 Willamette Valley Chard from Oregon Wine TV earlier in the year. Pretty sure those were gone in under 10 days. I’m certainly sold and just signed up for your mailing list [cheers.gif]

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 2244
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 53 times

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#762 Post by Marcus Goodfellow »

Jake Rubash wrote: January 13th, 2021, 8:35 pm
Marcus Goodfellow wrote: January 13th, 2021, 7:50 pm
Al Osterheld wrote: January 13th, 2021, 7:26 pm That wine is from Lewman vineyard, as I recall.

-Al
Plus 1

Pommard vines from Dennis Lewman's original 1993 planting. Just an absolutely beautiful under the radar site producing some lovely wines. The OVP is a single 500L puncheon that was one of my favorite in the cellar.

Jake-I am really glad you enjoyed that wine, it sets the bar very high and I hope that the next Goodfellow wine you have meets the expectation as well.
Hey Marcus

We got a 6’er of your 2018 Willamette Valley Chard from Oregon Wine TV earlier in the year. Pretty sure those were gone in under 10 days. I’m certainly sold and just signed up for your mailing list [cheers.gif]
Awesome! BD 12 is the first event on the horizon for us, but Spring release for the first 2019s will be mid-March. We're putting together final blends right now. A very elegant vintage with some absolutely outstanding wines, and one or two new things!
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

User avatar
Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2546
Joined: April 21st, 2015, 6:05 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 58 times
Contact:

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#763 Post by Brian S t o t t e r »

I like elegance. Looking forward to it!
CT: rieslinghoarder

2020 WOTY: 2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese

2021 WOTY Candidates:

User avatar
Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2722
Joined: June 8th, 2014, 7:45 am
Location: London
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#764 Post by Jason T »

Popped a humble 2017 Berserker last weekend to share with my in-laws. They’d never had Goodfellow and tend towards the riper/richer Pinots of Sonoma and Willamette.

Have to say all three of us did a double take at just how damn delicious this wine was. Everything was dialed in just so. Fruit was robust, lovely acidity, nice grip.

We all three kept going back to the glass and commenting how great it was. I can’t recall getting that reaction from any wine at that price point in a while.

Brilliant stuff!
J@son Tr@ughber

User avatar
Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2722
Joined: June 8th, 2014, 7:45 am
Location: London
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#765 Post by Jason T »

Marcus Goodfellow wrote: January 14th, 2021, 6:46 pm
Awesome! BD 12 is the first event on the horizon for us, but Spring release for the first 2019s will be mid-March. We're putting together final blends right now. A very elegant vintage with some absolutely outstanding wines, and one or two new things!
More new things Marcus?

My credit card says [swearing.gif], but of course my heart says [flirtysmile.gif].

The heart usually wins these battles champagne.gif.
J@son Tr@ughber

User avatar
Ian H
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 262
Joined: February 7th, 2018, 3:57 pm
Location: New Jersey
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#766 Post by Ian H »

Having a 2017 Last Acre Pinot. Night 2. So young, but very delicious nonetheless.
@@S

User avatar
Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü
Posts: 809
Joined: June 9th, 2020, 11:21 pm
Location: New York
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 38 times

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#767 Post by Rodrigo B »

Popped the 2018 Goodfellow Lewman Vineyard Pinot Noir.

What a fun wine this is. Somehow it just feels like the first crack of Spring. Filled with just ripe brambly red fruit. The nose is filled with pretty strawberries, red cherries, and raspberries with a touch of smoked tea. On the palate there’s much of the same red fruits for days on end; all brambly, crunchy and bursting with juicy acidity. This is just light and elegant. One minute you’re burying your nose in the glass, the next thing you know your glass is empty and you’re reaching for the bottle to pour yourself some more.
B r @ g @

User avatar
Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2546
Joined: April 21st, 2015, 6:05 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 58 times
Contact:

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#768 Post by Brian S t o t t e r »

Rodrigo B wrote: January 20th, 2021, 6:11 pm Popped the 2018 Goodfellow Lewman Vineyard Pinot Noir.

What a fun wine this is. Somehow it just feels like the first crack of Spring. Filled with just ripe brambly red fruit. The nose is filled with pretty strawberries, red cherries, and raspberries with a touch of smoked tea. On the palate there’s much of the same red fruits for days on end; all brambly, crunchy and bursting with juicy acidity. This is just light and elegant. One minute you’re burying your nose in the glass, the next thing you know your glass is empty and you’re reaching for the bottle to pour yourself some more.
Why I went double dipping on this and Old Vine Pommard. Such great wines!
CT: rieslinghoarder

2020 WOTY: 2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese

2021 WOTY Candidates:

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü
Posts: 39269
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 141 times

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#769 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

Just got a mixed case of 2018 Long Acre and Beloved Acre. Looking forward to following them over a number of years. Will pop one of each after a suitable resting period.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

User avatar
Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü
Posts: 809
Joined: June 9th, 2020, 11:21 pm
Location: New York
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 38 times

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#770 Post by Rodrigo B »

Brian S t o t t e r wrote: January 20th, 2021, 6:45 pm
Rodrigo B wrote: January 20th, 2021, 6:11 pm Popped the 2018 Goodfellow Lewman Vineyard Pinot Noir.

What a fun wine this is. Somehow it just feels like the first crack of Spring. Filled with just ripe brambly red fruit. The nose is filled with pretty strawberries, red cherries, and raspberries with a touch of smoked tea. On the palate there’s much of the same red fruits for days on end; all brambly, crunchy and bursting with juicy acidity. This is just light and elegant. One minute you’re burying your nose in the glass, the next thing you know your glass is empty and you’re reaching for the bottle to pour yourself some more.
Why I went double dipping on this and Old Vine Pommard. Such great wines!
Haven't tried many Goodfellow wines. Ordered a mixed case from Marcus a while back to try some after hearing all the hype from other Berserkers. Didn’t order the Old Vine Pommard, but the Lewman vineyard at this point is dangerously delicious. The bottle seemingly disappeared and we were left clamouring to open another bottle and debating whether or not whatever we’d open following this would equally fit the mood this one struck. Little to no chance of day 2 on this bottle. I’m trying to holding off purchases until BD, but I will for sure be on the lookout for more of this bottling in the future.
B r @ g @

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 671
Joined: March 16th, 2020, 3:01 pm
Location: Denver
Has thanked: 93 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#771 Post by Max S. »

Brian S t o t t e r wrote: January 20th, 2021, 6:45 pm
Rodrigo B wrote: January 20th, 2021, 6:11 pm Popped the 2018 Goodfellow Lewman Vineyard Pinot Noir.

What a fun wine this is. Somehow it just feels like the first crack of Spring. Filled with just ripe brambly red fruit. The nose is filled with pretty strawberries, red cherries, and raspberries with a touch of smoked tea. On the palate there’s much of the same red fruits for days on end; all brambly, crunchy and bursting with juicy acidity. This is just light and elegant. One minute you’re burying your nose in the glass, the next thing you know your glass is empty and you’re reaching for the bottle to pour yourself some more.
Why I went double dipping on this and Old Vine Pommard. Such great wines!
Lewman is probably my favorite, though I wonder if that's because it feels like it's easily the most ready to drink.
5 w 0 m l 3 y

User avatar
Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1142
Joined: July 10th, 2016, 9:30 pm
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#772 Post by Sean_S »

2017 WV Chardonnay such a great wine. Served as an apertif. So much flavor and complexity for so little $

2018 WR Bersker Cuvee Pinot. Pleasant on PNP. Better on day 2 in the decanter. These deserve time IMO.
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY
1999 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie

2021 WOTY Candidates

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7240
Joined: June 5th, 2009, 1:35 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#773 Post by Bob Hughes »

Rodrigo, I thought Marcus said somewhere that Lewman would end up being a one-off for him - something about the vineyard being sold and no longer having access to the fruit.

User avatar
Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü
Posts: 809
Joined: June 9th, 2020, 11:21 pm
Location: New York
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 38 times

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#774 Post by Rodrigo B »

Thanks Bob. Good to know. Looks like I’ll need to contact Marcus sooner than I though. That bottle really was delicious
B r @ g @

User avatar
Patrick T a y l o r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 415
Joined: January 27th, 2019, 6:59 am
Location: Indiana
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 79 times

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#775 Post by Patrick T a y l o r »

Bob Hughes wrote: January 21st, 2021, 9:47 am Rodrigo, I thought Marcus said somewhere that Lewman would end up being a one-off for him - something about the vineyard being sold and no longer having access to the fruit.
I'm not so sure. In Goodfellow's August "Terroir Series II" release notes, Marcus wrote: "While it is unlikely that we will have this fruit beyond 2019, I feel lucky to have this wine in my resume."

Perhaps he has 2 year contract and there's a 2019 Lewman waiting for us.
The enemy of the good is the prefect.

MattG
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 14
Joined: September 12th, 2020, 10:20 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#776 Post by MattG »

This tastes great. Could go longer.
FC38DC36-DA8E-4AB1-B848-B5E3F3F34972.jpeg
G@|’$1n

User avatar
ChrisJames
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 201
Joined: February 3rd, 2019, 7:35 pm
Location: Duvall, WA
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#777 Post by ChrisJames »

Patrick T a y l o r wrote: January 21st, 2021, 12:07 pm
Bob Hughes wrote: January 21st, 2021, 9:47 am Rodrigo, I thought Marcus said somewhere that Lewman would end up being a one-off for him - something about the vineyard being sold and no longer having access to the fruit.
I'm not so sure. In Goodfellow's August "Terroir Series II" release notes, Marcus wrote: "While it is unlikely that we will have this fruit beyond 2019, I feel lucky to have this wine in my resume."

Perhaps he has 2 year contract and there's a 2019 Lewman waiting for us.
That is my understanding too.

User avatar
Patrick T a y l o r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 415
Joined: January 27th, 2019, 6:59 am
Location: Indiana
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 79 times

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#778 Post by Patrick T a y l o r »

ChrisJames wrote: January 21st, 2021, 6:23 pm
Patrick T a y l o r wrote: January 21st, 2021, 12:07 pm
Bob Hughes wrote: January 21st, 2021, 9:47 am Rodrigo, I thought Marcus said somewhere that Lewman would end up being a one-off for him - something about the vineyard being sold and no longer having access to the fruit.
I'm not so sure. In Goodfellow's August "Terroir Series II" release notes, Marcus wrote: "While it is unlikely that we will have this fruit beyond 2019, I feel lucky to have this wine in my resume."

Perhaps he has 2 year contract and there's a 2019 Lewman waiting for us.
That is my understanding too.
I got dibs! You can have shotgun. :)
The enemy of the good is the prefect.

User avatar
Al Osterheld
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7472
Joined: March 15th, 2009, 5:47 am
Location: SF Bay
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#779 Post by Al Osterheld »

He posted in another thread that he has Lewman fruit from 2019, that the vineyard was being sold to the Casteel family (Bethel Heights), and that he loves the vineyard and would be happy to work with the fruit in the future if it works out.

-Al

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 2244
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 53 times

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#780 Post by Marcus Goodfellow »

Jason T wrote: January 14th, 2021, 9:03 pm
Marcus Goodfellow wrote: January 14th, 2021, 6:46 pm
Awesome! BD 12 is the first event on the horizon for us, but Spring release for the first 2019s will be mid-March. We're putting together final blends right now. A very elegant vintage with some absolutely outstanding wines, and one or two new things!
More new things Marcus?

My credit card says [swearing.gif], but of course my heart says [flirtysmile.gif].

The heart usually wins these battles champagne.gif.
Well...Whistling Ridge Cabernet Franc. Total production was 30 gallons(older vines planted as a blending grape for the Cabernet Sauvignon, planted with the original vines.) We’re selling 6 cases to GCC on the 26th. Good for the heart, if not the CC...
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 2244
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 53 times

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#781 Post by Marcus Goodfellow »

Al Osterheld wrote: January 21st, 2021, 6:31 pm He posted in another thread that he has Lewman fruit from 2019, that the vineyard was being sold to the Casteel family (Bethel Heights), and that he loves the vineyard and would be happy to work with the fruit in the future if it works out.

-Al
Tremendous vineyard, and in 2019 produced one of the very best, if not the best, wines in the cellar.

The Casteel’s are founders in the WV, but also just really wonderful people.
I do hope to see the fruit again in the future(land use rules create a weird situation currently but hopefully in 2-3 more years) but even if it doesn’t happen the vineyard is in good hands.

I am hopeful though, and either way it will always be one of my favorite sites.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 2244
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 53 times

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#782 Post by Marcus Goodfellow »

Patrick T a y l o r wrote: January 21st, 2021, 12:07 pm
Bob Hughes wrote: January 21st, 2021, 9:47 am Rodrigo, I thought Marcus said somewhere that Lewman would end up being a one-off for him - something about the vineyard being sold and no longer having access to the fruit.
I'm not so sure. In Goodfellow's August "Terroir Series II" release notes, Marcus wrote: "While it is unlikely that we will have this fruit beyond 2019, I feel lucky to have this wine in my resume."

Perhaps he has 2 year contract and there's a 2019 Lewman waiting for us.
So just a quick peek in the crystal ball.
The 2019 Lewman Heritage No. 16 will he the only vineyard designate from Lewman vineyard in 2019. The yields were way down, and we picked early and late. A single fermenter, 50% stems, that was among the first wines picked. A second 100% stems fermenter picked, along with Temperance Hill(only 1 fermenter) at the end of the harvest. Together they make one of my three favorite wines in the cellar, and a just expression of Dennis Lewman’s vineyard to remember him by.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

User avatar
Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2722
Joined: June 8th, 2014, 7:45 am
Location: London
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#783 Post by Jason T »

Marcus Goodfellow wrote: January 21st, 2021, 11:24 pm
Jason T wrote: January 14th, 2021, 9:03 pm
Marcus Goodfellow wrote: January 14th, 2021, 6:46 pm
Awesome! BD 12 is the first event on the horizon for us, but Spring release for the first 2019s will be mid-March. We're putting together final blends right now. A very elegant vintage with some absolutely outstanding wines, and one or two new things!
More new things Marcus?

My credit card says [swearing.gif], but of course my heart says [flirtysmile.gif].

The heart usually wins these battles champagne.gif.
Well...Whistling Ridge Cabernet Franc. Total production was 30 gallons(older vines planted as a blending grape for the Cabernet Sauvignon, planted with the original vines.) We’re selling 6 cases to GCC on the 26th. Good for the heart, if not the CC...
Ah, that's the one you were telling me about before. Marcus, I cannot say "no" to Cabernet Franc, especially from you!
J@son Tr@ughber

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 671
Joined: March 16th, 2020, 3:01 pm
Location: Denver
Has thanked: 93 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#784 Post by Max S. »

Marcus Goodfellow wrote: January 21st, 2021, 11:38 pm
So just a quick peek in the crystal ball.
The 2019 Lewman Heritage No. 16 will he the only vineyard designate from Lewman vineyard in 2019. The yields were way down, and we picked early and late. A single fermenter, 50% stems, that was among the first wines picked. A second 100% stems fermenter picked, along with Temperance Hill(only 1 fermenter) at the end of the harvest. Together they make one of my three favorite wines in the cellar, and a just expression of Dennis Lewman’s vineyard to remember him by.
Jesus Christ, a Lewman Heritage? Keep my tab open...
5 w 0 m l 3 y

User avatar
Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2546
Joined: April 21st, 2015, 6:05 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 58 times
Contact:

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#785 Post by Brian S t o t t e r »

Marcus Goodfellow wrote: January 21st, 2021, 11:38 pm
Patrick T a y l o r wrote: January 21st, 2021, 12:07 pm
Bob Hughes wrote: January 21st, 2021, 9:47 am Rodrigo, I thought Marcus said somewhere that Lewman would end up being a one-off for him - something about the vineyard being sold and no longer having access to the fruit.
I'm not so sure. In Goodfellow's August "Terroir Series II" release notes, Marcus wrote: "While it is unlikely that we will have this fruit beyond 2019, I feel lucky to have this wine in my resume."

Perhaps he has 2 year contract and there's a 2019 Lewman waiting for us.
So just a quick peek in the crystal ball.
The 2019 Lewman Heritage No. 16 will he the only vineyard designate from Lewman vineyard in 2019. The yields were way down, and we picked early and late. A single fermenter, 50% stems, that was among the first wines picked. A second 100% stems fermenter picked, along with Temperance Hill(only 1 fermenter) at the end of the harvest. Together they make one of my three favorite wines in the cellar, and a just expression of Dennis Lewman’s vineyard to remember him by.
What are the other two?
CT: rieslinghoarder

2020 WOTY: 2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese

2021 WOTY Candidates:

User avatar
Al Osterheld
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7472
Joined: March 15th, 2009, 5:47 am
Location: SF Bay
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#786 Post by Al Osterheld »

Heritage No. 14 is also from Lewman.

-Al

Doug Uno
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 152
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 4:50 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#787 Post by Doug Uno »

Brian S t o t t e r wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 7:54 am
Marcus Goodfellow wrote: January 21st, 2021, 11:38 pm
Patrick T a y l o r wrote: January 21st, 2021, 12:07 pm

I'm not so sure. In Goodfellow's August "Terroir Series II" release notes, Marcus wrote: "While it is unlikely that we will have this fruit beyond 2019, I feel lucky to have this wine in my resume."

Perhaps he has 2 year contract and there's a 2019 Lewman waiting for us.
So just a quick peek in the crystal ball.
The 2019 Lewman Heritage No. 16 will he the only vineyard designate from Lewman vineyard in 2019. The yields were way down, and we picked early and late. A single fermenter, 50% stems, that was among the first wines picked. A second 100% stems fermenter picked, along with Temperance Hill(only 1 fermenter) at the end of the harvest. Together they make one of my three favorite wines in the cellar, and a just expression of Dennis Lewman’s vineyard to remember him by.
What are the other two?
Inquiring minds want to know.🙂

User avatar
Patrick T a y l o r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 415
Joined: January 27th, 2019, 6:59 am
Location: Indiana
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 79 times

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#788 Post by Patrick T a y l o r »

Doug Uno wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 10:23 am
Brian S t o t t e r wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 7:54 am
Marcus Goodfellow wrote: January 21st, 2021, 11:38 pm Together they make one of my three favorite wines in the cellar, and a just expression of Dennis Lewman’s vineyard to remember him by.
What are the other two?
Inquiring minds want to know.🙂
[popcorn.gif]
The enemy of the good is the prefect.

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 2244
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 53 times

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#789 Post by Marcus Goodfellow »

Brian S t o t t e r wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 7:54 am
Marcus Goodfellow wrote: January 21st, 2021, 11:38 pm
Patrick T a y l o r wrote: January 21st, 2021, 12:07 pm

I'm not so sure. In Goodfellow's August "Terroir Series II" release notes, Marcus wrote: "While it is unlikely that we will have this fruit beyond 2019, I feel lucky to have this wine in my resume."

Perhaps he has 2 year contract and there's a 2019 Lewman waiting for us.
So just a quick peek in the crystal ball.
The 2019 Lewman Heritage No. 16 will he the only vineyard designate from Lewman vineyard in 2019. The yields were way down, and we picked early and late. A single fermenter, 50% stems, that was among the first wines picked. A second 100% stems fermenter picked, along with Temperance Hill(only 1 fermenter) at the end of the harvest. Together they make one of my three favorite wines in the cellar, and a just expression of Dennis Lewman’s vineyard to remember him by.
What are the other two?
Pumphouse Block from Temperance Hill and the Heritage wine from Whistling Ridge. I really think these three wines set the bar. Then there are another set of really lovely wines with Long Acre and House Block from Whistling Ridge, Block 8 from Fir Crest, and a small bottling from Oracle Vineyard.

The Oracle vineyard wine (Westrey Estate fruit) is from the same vines I got fruit from in 2003-2005 when I was first making my wines at Westrey. Back then the vines were 3rd leaf to 5th leaf, so it was a lot of fun to see the fruit now that the vines were 19 years old.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Bill Mauger
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü
Posts: 194
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 7:39 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#790 Post by Bill Mauger »

Well...Whistling Ridge Cabernet Franc. Total production was 30 gallons(older vines planted as a blending grape for the Cabernet Sauvignon, planted with the original vines.) We’re selling 6 cases to GCC on the 26th. Good for the heart, if not the CC...
[/quote]

Well well! WR signature - no green - weightless. mineral and red fruited just saying!

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 2244
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 53 times

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#791 Post by Marcus Goodfellow »

Bill Mauger wrote: January 25th, 2021, 9:22 pm Well...Whistling Ridge Cabernet Franc. Total production was 30 gallons(older vines planted as a blending grape for the Cabernet Sauvignon, planted with the original vines.) We’re selling 6 cases to GCC on the 26th. Good for the heart, if not the CC...
Well well! WR signature - no green - weightless. mineral and red fruited just saying!
[/quote]

Well played!
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”