What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#601 Post by Max S. »

Joe Chanley wrote: October 2nd, 2020, 10:42 am He has a lot of wines that are under $50....actually the majority are....not to dissuade you from buying goodfellow, but there are a hell of a lot of great wines generally under $50 to drink without needing a discount.
His Willamette Valley PN is my single favorite PN under $25. I dont think anyone comes close, though my Oregon experience is limited.
5 w 0 m l 3 y

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#602 Post by Sean_S »

Max S. wrote: October 2nd, 2020, 11:45 am
Joe Chanley wrote: October 2nd, 2020, 10:42 am He has a lot of wines that are under $50....actually the majority are....not to dissuade you from buying goodfellow, but there are a hell of a lot of great wines generally under $50 to drink without needing a discount.
His Willamette Valley PN is my single favorite PN under $25. I dont think anyone comes close, though my Oregon experience is limited.
Thats probably true for me as well with Cameron being a close #2 and its $20 with the wine club discount

Sean
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY
1999 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie

2021 WOTY Candidates

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#603 Post by dsGriswold »

I use Sec for most of my local buys these days. I also drop off my shippers so they can ship to non local people. [cheers.gif]
DennisG

John H.

#604 Post by John H. »

Agreed, the Goodfellow is a standout in that price point, though it's a crowded field, at least if you live in the area. An embarrassment of riches in the sub-$25 range.

Sean_S wrote: October 2nd, 2020, 12:10 pm
Thats probably true for me as well with Cameron being a close #2 and its $20 with the wine club discount

Sean

I'm sorry, what's this about a Cameron wine club? Not sure if my wallet can handle that right now, but...
J. Hallett

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#605 Post by Marcus Goodfellow »

Adam Frisch wrote: October 2nd, 2020, 9:14 am Do you have some sort of deal going on, Marcus? The wines are great and I'm out of them, but $50-70 hurts these days more than ever. Do you do ITB discount?
Hi Adam,

We do a Berserker discount, usually it’s for when Berserkers visit, but with Covid we’ve been offering it email purchases by Berserkers.

That said, you should consider:

2019 Whistling Ridge Blanc
2019 Whistling Ridge Riesling
2018 Dundee Hills or Ribbon Ridge Chardonnay
2017 WV Pinot Noir
2017 Ribbon Ridge Pinot Noir

All these are $25 or less for Berserkers. We do charge shipping on these, as they don’t leave me room to pay for groceries and rent if we don’t. They are also all handled similarly to the top tier wines(i.e. none are bottled early for cash flow and all are from vineyards that you see as vineyard designates).
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#606 Post by Sean_S »

John H. wrote: October 2nd, 2020, 12:27 pm Agreed, the Goodfellow is a standout in that price point, though it's a crowded field, at least if you live in the area. An embarrassment of riches in the sub-$25 range.

Sean_S wrote: October 2nd, 2020, 12:10 pm

Sean

I'm sorry, what's this about a Cameron wine club? Not sure if my wallet can handle that right now, but...
Sorry mixing two things. Referring to Goodfellow wine club. I wish Cameron had a wine club. Would make my life easier. Buying Cameron is as hard as getting some imported wines.

Sean
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY

2021 WOTY Candidates

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#607 Post by Brian S t o t t e r »

Finally jumping into the 4(!) cases of Goodfellow that arrived.

2018 Goodfellow Family Cellars Chardonnay Dundee Hills

Tart green apple, ripe pineapple, candied lime zest, and white flowers enveloped by a hint of matchstick reduction on the nose. On the palate the fruit notes are saline-kissed, complemented with wet stone minerality, and acidity that kicks in on the midpalate and lingers on the finish. This wine is chiseled, but not unyielding; this wine derives its fruit from Durant Vineyard, and compared to the Goodfellow 2017 Durant Vineyard chardonnay I can tell there is more purity in the fruit with this vintage. Absolutely delightful OR chardonnay.
850691D6-AFB4-4529-A4A8-6EA5B72ADB8D.jpeg
Last edited by Brian S t o t t e r on October 4th, 2020, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CT: rieslinghoarder

2020 WOTY: 2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese

2021 WOTY Candidates:

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#608 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

Sounds great Brian!
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

#609 Post by Richard T r i m p i »

Max S. wrote: October 2nd, 2020, 11:45 am His Willamette Valley PN is my single favorite PN under $25. I dont think anyone comes close, though my Oregon experience is limited.
I've had quite a few < $25 QPR Pinots....and yes, very few come close to the value offered by that wine.

RT

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#610 Post by Brian S t o t t e r »

I hope the 2018 Dundee Hills is offered in the next BD. Want to reload. That wine is awesome.

2021 WOTY Candidates:

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#611 Post by JDavisRoby »

Opened a 2013 Matello Duex Vert Syrah last night. Just enough for a nice pour tonight. Was lovely for a fall Sunday night and just as good tonight. Definitely for those that like a leaner (AFWE) Syrah.
Joshu@

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#612 Post by Rick Allen »

Opened a 2015 Heritage #4 a few nights ago and enjoyed it very much. I do think it needs more time to develop though. I'll probably try another one in 2022.

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#613 Post by Sean_S »

Brian S t o t t e r wrote: October 5th, 2020, 5:57 pm I hope the 2018 Dundee Hills is offered in the next BD. Want to reload. That wine is awesome.
Don't miss the Ribbon Ridge. Declassified WR fruit. The 17 was amazing and I am chomping at the bit for fires and weather to die down so I can return to California and have Marcus ship my wine. The biggest problem with COVID Quarantine in Utah has been I can't have any wine sent here. 1st world problems. Hope everyone is well and staying safe out there in Goodfellow land.

Sean
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY

2021 WOTY Candidates

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#614 Post by Sean_S »

JDavisRoby wrote: October 5th, 2020, 6:12 pm Opened a 2013 Matello Duex Vert Syrah last night. Just enough for a nice pour tonight. Was lovely for a fall Sunday night and just as good tonight. Definitely for those that like a leaner (AFWE) Syrah.
I really like this wine. Not sure I would nail it as Syrah blind (its just so light and feminine) but its very good. A totally different beast than the 15 Duex Vert

Sean
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY

2021 WOTY Candidates

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#615 Post by Brian S t o t t e r »

Sean_S wrote: October 6th, 2020, 7:57 am
Brian S t o t t e r wrote: October 5th, 2020, 5:57 pm I hope the 2018 Dundee Hills is offered in the next BD. Want to reload. That wine is awesome.
Don't miss the Ribbon Ridge. Declassified WR fruit. The 17 was amazing and I am chomping at the bit for fires and weather to die down so I can return to California and have Marcus ship my wine. The biggest problem with COVID Quarantine in Utah has been I can't have any wine sent here. 1st world problems. Hope everyone is well and staying safe out there in Goodfellow land.

Sean
I have 3 bottles of this as part of the multiple Goodfellow cases that just arrived. Might check that out next.

2021 WOTY Candidates:

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#616 Post by JDavisRoby »

Sean_S wrote: October 6th, 2020, 7:58 am
JDavisRoby wrote: October 5th, 2020, 6:12 pm Opened a 2013 Matello Duex Vert Syrah last night. Just enough for a nice pour tonight. Was lovely for a fall Sunday night and just as good tonight. Definitely for those that like a leaner (AFWE) Syrah.
I really like this wine. Not sure I would nail it as Syrah blind (its just so light and feminine) but its very good. A totally different beast than the 15 Duex Vert

Sean
When I told my wife she was drinking a wine Marcus made she immediately asked if I’d opened an older Pinot Noir of his. Nope, just a seven year old Syrah.
Joshu@

Marshall Manning
GCC Member
GCC Member

#617 Post by Marshall Manning »

JDavisRoby wrote: October 6th, 2020, 9:08 am When I told my wife she was drinking a wine Marcus made she immediately asked if I’d opened an older Pinot Noir of his. Nope, just a seven year old Syrah.
We just had this a couple of weeks ago and it was really nice with some planked salmon that had a light amount of "Rub With Love" on it. The texture is more Pinot-like, but the light smoky Syrah fruit went really well with the smoky salmon.
Marshall

Jason R.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#618 Post by Jason R. »

Brian S t o t t e r wrote: October 6th, 2020, 8:15 am
Sean_S wrote: October 6th, 2020, 7:57 am

Sean
I have 3 bottles of this as part of the multiple Goodfellow cases that just arrived. Might check that out next.
Both are great. I think the Durant (couldn't resist popping one from my multiple case shipment this week) is a little more tropical in the fruit profile and a touch riper - at least than the 2017 RR. There's an odd 'rainwater' vibe I get from Marcus' whites, which I think I'm probably subliminally transposing with purity - something I love in every Goodfellow wine I've tasted. I definitely agree with your ripe pineapple note on the Durant, Brian. I found the 2017 RR (haven't tasted 2018 yet) to be more flinty and mineral, which I'm gathering is a WR thing. Both delicious.
R o b e r t s o n

Michael R Fox

#619 Post by Michael R Fox »

Do you guys normally purchase through the web site? Do they just sell on release a couple times a year? I emailed last week and again this week to put in an order. Called a few times, have heard nothing back.

Thx

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#620 Post by Sh@n A »

I PM'd you two email addresses
/ @ g r @ \

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#621 Post by Sean_S »

Michael R Fox wrote: October 6th, 2020, 5:53 pm Do you guys normally purchase through the web site? Do they just sell on release a couple times a year? I emailed last week and again this week to put in an order. Called a few times, have heard nothing back.

Thx
I used to order Goodfellow from both the Winery and some local oregon retailers and still do on rare occasion but most of the time I would prefer to give my money straight to the producer. Call Megan or email marcus and they generally respond within a day. Its harvest time and folks are working long hours and making this years covid wines. There is no online purchasing but honestly I've had so much success interacting directly with them it doesn't matter. Tell em what you like and don't and they will try to get you the best wines for you.

Generally his offers say:
please call Megan at 503-347-6366
or email marcus@goodfellowfamilycellars.com
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY

2021 WOTY Candidates

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#622 Post by JDavisRoby »

Marshall Manning wrote: October 6th, 2020, 9:45 am
JDavisRoby wrote: October 6th, 2020, 9:08 am When I told my wife she was drinking a wine Marcus made she immediately asked if I’d opened an older Pinot Noir of his. Nope, just a seven year old Syrah.
We just had this a couple of weeks ago and it was really nice with some planked salmon that had a light amount of "Rub With Love" on it. The texture is more Pinot-like, but the light smoky Syrah fruit went really well with the smoky salmon.
I read a note on CT that said this had an overwhelming pepper note. I didn’t get any pepper at all. You?
Joshu@

Michael R Fox

#623 Post by Michael R Fox »

Thx for the help guys!

Marshall Manning
GCC Member
GCC Member

#624 Post by Marshall Manning »

JDavisRoby wrote: October 6th, 2020, 6:39 pm I read a note on CT that said this had an overwhelming pepper note. I didn’t get any pepper at all. You?
Do you mean black pepper or green pepper? I got a light black pepper note, as is often characteristic of Syrah, but not any green pepper.
Marshall

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#625 Post by JDavisRoby »

Marshall Manning wrote: October 7th, 2020, 10:55 am
JDavisRoby wrote: October 6th, 2020, 6:39 pm I read a note on CT that said this had an overwhelming pepper note. I didn’t get any pepper at all. You?
Do you mean black pepper or green pepper? I got a light black pepper note, as is often characteristic of Syrah, but not any green pepper.
Sorry. The reviewer, “oregonloafer” felt it was black pepper overwhelmingly. I don’t know how to link TN’s or I would.

I don’t taste black pepper at all (or green pepper) in this wine. But, I recall when we tasted it with Marcus last fall I didn’t either. But, my wife did and she’s the super taster in our family. She didn’t this time around.
Joshu@

ChrisJames
GCC Member
GCC Member

#626 Post by ChrisJames »

JDavisRoby wrote: October 7th, 2020, 11:04 am
Marshall Manning wrote: October 7th, 2020, 10:55 am
Sorry. The reviewer, “oregonloafer” felt it was black pepper overwhelmingly. I don’t know how to link TN’s or I would.

I don’t taste black pepper at all (or green pepper) in this wine. But, I recall when we tasted it with Marcus last fall I didn’t either. But, my wife did and she’s the super taster in our family. She didn’t this time around.
I've gone through five bottles of this without ever getting any pepper notes. As many people have said before, tasted blind it could be mistaken for a Pinot Noir. FWIW, I got to taste the 2016 Syrah out of barrel and found that it did have some really nice spicy/black pepper notes. That was Marcus's last year for making Syrah so be on the look out for it.

John H.

#627 Post by John H. »

Oregonloafer, c'est moi. I stand by my note about the 2013 being super (black) peppery! I distinctly remember the taste at the winery and in my bottles at home. Alas, that was over a year and a half ago, and they're all gone now, so I'm curious to see how it developed. As I mentioned, it blew off big time on day 2, so I could see it settling with age as well.

I really enjoyed that wine and look forward to opening the 2011 I have in the back of a closet somewhere, as well as the 2015 reserve. I haven't seen the 2016 syrah anywhere, but I am a huge fan of the vintage and would buy it up for sure!
J. Hallett

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#628 Post by JDavisRoby »

John, no criticism at all. One of my favorite parts about wine is how different people can drink the same wine and taste something completely different. Even at the same tasting.

Now that I think about it I’m not confident in what vintage of Syrah Marcus opened for us at the winery. It was a spur of the moment thing when he learned how much I loved Syrah.
Joshu@

ChrisJames
GCC Member
GCC Member

#629 Post by ChrisJames »

John H. wrote: October 7th, 2020, 1:48 pm Oregonloafer, c'est moi. I stand by my note about the 2013 being super (black) peppery! I distinctly remember the taste at the winery and in my bottles at home. Alas, that was over a year and a half ago, and they're all gone now, so I'm curious to see how it developed. As I mentioned, it blew off big time on day 2, so I could see it settling with age as well.

I really enjoyed that wine and look forward to opening the 2011 I have in the back of a closet somewhere, as well as the 2015 reserve. I haven't seen the 2016 syrah anywhere, but I am a huge fan of the vintage and would buy it up for sure!
I know it has been bottled (since I got some from the winery), but perhaps it has not been released yet. And I'm with you on 2016, especially for anything Goodfellow made.

John H.

#630 Post by John H. »

ChrisJames wrote: October 7th, 2020, 2:09 pm I know it has been bottled (since I got some from the winery), but perhaps it has not been released yet. And I'm with you on 2016, especially for anything Goodfellow made.
Fantastic, I'll keep an eye out for it. Talk about a screaming deal, at least on the same level as the WV PN.

Any idea of whether it's from the same vineyard? I was really impressed by a glass of alt-Oregon's "For Bruce" (https://altorwine.com/for-bruce-2018) several months ago, and the winemaker insinuated it was from the same source Marcus had been getting it from, but who knows.
J. Hallett

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#631 Post by Brian S t o t t e r »

Just opened the 2017 Goodfellow Ribbon Ridge Chardonnay. If you like licking sheet metal and enjoy ripping minerality, this is the chardonnay for you!

2021 WOTY Candidates:

Jason R.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#632 Post by Jason R. »

Brian S t o t t e r wrote: October 7th, 2020, 4:42 pm Just opened the 2017 Goodfellow Ribbon Ridge Chardonnay. If you like licking sheet metal and enjoy ripping minerality, this is the chardonnay for you!
Yes! I love the side by side of Dundee Hills and Ribbon Ridge. Marcus’ signature minerality and some salinity are there for both, but the Dundee is a bit rounder and fuller in the fruit with RR exactly as you describe. Great juice both - I’ve already refilled twice. :)
R o b e r t s o n

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#633 Post by Sean_S »

Jason R. wrote: October 7th, 2020, 5:07 pm
Brian S t o t t e r wrote: October 7th, 2020, 4:42 pm Just opened the 2017 Goodfellow Ribbon Ridge Chardonnay. If you like licking sheet metal and enjoy ripping minerality, this is the chardonnay for you!
Yes! I love the side by side of Dundee Hills and Ribbon Ridge. Marcus’ signature minerality and some salinity are there for both, but the Dundee is a bit rounder and fuller in the fruit with RR exactly as you describe. Great juice both - I’ve already refilled twice. :)
Yum!
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY

2021 WOTY Candidates

Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#634 Post by Adam Frisch »

Marcus Goodfellow wrote: October 2nd, 2020, 1:09 pm
Adam Frisch wrote: October 2nd, 2020, 9:14 am Do you have some sort of deal going on, Marcus? The wines are great and I'm out of them, but $50-70 hurts these days more than ever. Do you do ITB discount?
Hi Adam,

We do a Berserker discount, usually it’s for when Berserkers visit, but with Covid we’ve been offering it email purchases by Berserkers.

2017 WV Pinot Noir

All these are $25 or less for Berserkers. We do charge shipping on these, as they don’t leave me room to pay for groceries and rent if we don’t. They are also all handled similarly to the top tier wines(i.e. none are bottled early for cash flow and all are from vineyards that you see as vineyard designates).
That's a cracking deal. I'll call!
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#635 Post by Sean_S »

Adam Frisch wrote: October 8th, 2020, 12:36 am
Marcus Goodfellow wrote: October 2nd, 2020, 1:09 pm
Hi Adam,

2017 WV Pinot Noir

That's a cracking deal. I'll call!
Adam,

I've read your trials and tribulations with Riesling and Marcus may make one that makes you happy. The last one I had had ripping acid and no noticeable RS. The WR Blanc is a little softer and rounder. Marcus could give you the specs and see if it might be a fit. Hope crush is going well for you and that between covid and fires your wine making is moving forward.

Cheers,
Sean
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY

2021 WOTY Candidates

Dennis Atick

#636 Post by Dennis Atick »

Agreed! My note from May:
  • 2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Chardonnay Ribbon Ridge Cuvée - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (5/3/2020)
    Throws serious reduction, petrol some matchstick. Super laser-beam acidity and edge right now. Cool, saline, metallic, mineral. Chablis-like. Long. Puckers long on the laser finish. Could use lots of time. (92 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
@decaturwinedude

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#637 Post by Sean_S »

Dennis Atick wrote: October 8th, 2020, 8:45 am
  • 2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Chardonnay Ribbon Ridge Cuvée - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (5/3/2020)
    Throws serious reduction, petrol some matchstick. Super laser-beam acidity and edge right now. Cool, saline, metallic, mineral. Chablis-like. Long. Puckers long on the laser finish. Could use lots of time. (92 pts.)
Agree it needs serious time but its so sharp and focussed now I can't keep my hands off it and exactly why I bought yet another case of the 17 to go along with the soon to be release 18.

Sean
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY

2021 WOTY Candidates

Dennis Atick

#638 Post by Dennis Atick »

Sean_S wrote: October 8th, 2020, 8:49 am
Dennis Atick wrote: October 8th, 2020, 8:45 am
Agree it needs serious time but its so sharp and focussed now I can't keep my hands off it and exactly why I bought yet another case of the 17 to go along with the soon to be release 18.

Sean
I hear that. No real harm in catching that edge right now if you like 'em steely.
@decaturwinedude

Michael R Fox

#639 Post by Michael R Fox »

Ribbon Ridge more chablis like? Putting in an order but not a huge fan of the Chablis I have tasted...any rec on wines with a little more weight and integrated oak?

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#640 Post by Sean_S »

The Durant and Dundee Hills bottlings will be more toward your liking. What are some example of Chardonnays that you like?
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY

2021 WOTY Candidates

Michael R Fox

#641 Post by Michael R Fox »

Walter Scott La Combe Verte 2017
Irvine and Roberts

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#642 Post by Sean_S »

Michael R Fox wrote: October 8th, 2020, 10:17 am Walter Scott La Combe Verte 2017
Irvine and Roberts
Bsaed on that my recommendation stands. and everyone should try the Whistling Ridge Blanc (field blend of mostly riesling)
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY

2021 WOTY Candidates

Michael R Fox

#643 Post by Michael R Fox »

thx!

Marshall Manning
GCC Member
GCC Member

#644 Post by Marshall Manning »

Sean_S wrote: October 8th, 2020, 10:21 am Bsaed on that my recommendation stands. and everyone should try the Whistling Ridge Blanc (field blend of mostly riesling)
I tried the '19 a few weeks ago at a local shop and really liked it. I don't remember the exact blend, but I believe there's Gris and something else along with the Riesling. It's already nicely complex, with light RS and a rounder texture than the Riesling usually is. I need to buy some...it will be delicious now and later.
Marshall

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#645 Post by Sean_S »

Marshall Manning wrote: October 8th, 2020, 11:26 am
Sean_S wrote: October 8th, 2020, 10:21 am Bsaed on that my recommendation stands. and everyone should try the Whistling Ridge Blanc (field blend of mostly riesling)
I tried the '19 a few weeks ago at a local shop and really liked it. I don't remember the exact blend, but I believe there's Gris and something else along with the Riesling. It's already nicely complex, with light RS and a rounder texture than the Riesling usually is. I need to buy some...it will be delicious now and later.
2015 didn't show the blend on the label and I've drank though the 17's I have on hand but someone posted this a few pages back in the thread.

The 2016 had the following blend.

VARIETALS: RIESLING 62%, PINOT NOIR 18%, PINOT BLANC 14%, GEWURZTRAMINER 6%

The 2018 had the following blend.

VARIETALS: RIESLING 54%, PINOT NOIR 20%, PINOT BLANC 20%, GEWURZTRAMINER 6%
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY

2021 WOTY Candidates

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#646 Post by Brian S t o t t e r »

Unpacking boxes at my off-site and decided to open a 2018 Whistling Ridge Pinot Noir while here “to make room.” A pure and expressive bouquet of dried raspberries and strawberries, cranberry, potpourri, baking spices, and organic soil. Similarly when I taste it, the wine is elegant and polished, a prim ballerina dancing across the palate, with fresh acidity and supple tannins. Delicious stuff, well done Marcus!

2021 WOTY Candidates:

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

#647 Post by Richard T r i m p i »

Marshall Manning wrote: October 8th, 2020, 11:26 am
Todd Hamina simply calls it: "crack". For good reasons.

RT

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#648 Post by Brian S t o t t e r »

Three days later and revisiting the Ribbon Ridge. Still so good! Tons of minerality and matchstick reduction, more seashells and wet stones than sheet metal at this point. Getting a little underripe pineapple and orchard fruit coming through on the finish.

2021 WOTY Candidates:

jon leifer

#649 Post by jon leifer »

Brian S t o t t e r wrote: October 10th, 2020, 1:55 pm Three days later and revisiting the Ribbon Ridge. Still so good! Tons of minerality and matchstick reduction, more seashells and wet stones than sheet metal at this point. Getting a little underripe pineapple and orchard fruit coming through on the finish.
I didn't get any sheet metal, other than that, +1 re Brian's notes,,love this wine and preferred it to the 2017 Whistling Ridge..I assume it was sourced from different plot than the WR bottling.
Jon

jon leifer

#650 Post by jon leifer »

2016 Goodfellow Durant Vyd Pinot Noir, went well with Bison burgers,, creamed spinach and a baked potato..Improved with extended airing, was a bit reticent at first.
Jon

Return to “Wine Talk”