What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Dale McClaran
Contributor
Contributor

#51 Post by Dale McClaran » January 25th, 2017, 4:15 pm

Michael Davidson wrote:Opened a 2015 PCC WV Pinot last night. Yesterday it was okay, a bit thin, sour cherry and earth. One night on the counter transformed it into a raspberry inflected elegant pinot. The ripe vintages play so well into Marcus's style. Definitely going back for more.

At only $15 a pop one would be wise to reload, I know I am! Great deal for us Seattle folk.
GO HAWKS!

Bill Mauger
GCC Member
GCC Member

#52 Post by Bill Mauger » January 27th, 2017, 4:58 pm

in honor of - TGBDIO (Thank God BD is Over)! Seriously psyched to try these side by side in a couple hours with good friends [cheers.gif]
Attachments
Happy Times.JPG
Happy Times.JPG (25.15 KiB) Viewed 2620 times

Marcus Goodfellow

#53 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » January 30th, 2017, 4:14 pm

Just for fun I thought I would share that on BD VIII, the Tallman edged the Novick by 1 order as the most popular BD offering this year.

Again, thank you very much to everyone on the boards for their support of my wines and for making this such a great place to share/argue our wine experiences and beliefs.

Also, I'm interested to know what the Tallman purchasers feel about the 2012 Riesling. I think Oregon can make really good Riesling but I had to step away from it for a couple of years in order to make a living. At some point I would like to bring it back into the fold, but it would probably have to be a la the berserker Cuvée in order for me to pull it off.

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by dsGriswold » January 30th, 2017, 5:55 pm

Go for it Marcus, my wife is now drinking some dry Rieslings. Make it bone dry for her, I'm not so finicky. [cheers.gif]
DennisG

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by Scott Tallman » January 30th, 2017, 9:42 pm

dsGriswold wrote:Go for it Marcus[cheers.gif]
+1. I bet all those who bought your white BD 6-pack will be coming back for more.
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

Corey N.

#56 Post by Corey N. » January 31st, 2017, 6:59 am

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:Just for fun I thought I would share that on BD VIII, the Tallman edged the Novick by 1 order as the most popular BD offering this year.
Talman got help from the Russians and I won the popular vote.

-

A Berserker Cuvée type offering would be aces.
Nøv¡¢k

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by Scott Tallman » January 31st, 2017, 9:31 pm

Corey N. wrote:
Marcus Goodfellow wrote:Just for fun I thought I would share that on BD VIII, the Tallman edged the Novick by 1 order as the most popular BD offering this year.
Talman got help from the Russians and I won the popular vote.
#fakenews
CT - WestbyGod

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by Scott Tallman » February 26th, 2017, 7:36 pm

2005 Whistling Ridge Riesling. Dry, the perfect amount of petrol for my tastes and really fresh for a 11+ year old wine. Marcus' first attempt at Riesling and a damn fine one. Drinking the rest of the bottle tonite while watching the Oscars and it's even better than last night.

Hoping Marcus produces Riesling again in the future!
CT - WestbyGod

Peter Kleban
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by Peter Kleban » February 26th, 2017, 7:39 pm

Opened a '13 Goodfellow Durant (from a BDay "Novick" 6-pack) the other day. Gave it lots of air, and sure enough was very nice. On the light and slightly acid side of PN, but it was definitely a **. Full TN later...
Bob Wood:
"Peter..your well-reasoned words were a waste of time."
WsOTY:
Vallana Spanna 5 Castelli '71
Fonseca Porto '77
d'Yquem '00
Jobard Meursault Blagny 1er '13
Broadbent Madeira Colheita '96
Mas Redonne Bandol Rosé '17
B Giacosa Roero Arneis '15
Patricia Green Cellars PN Estate Etzel Block '13

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by dsGriswold » February 26th, 2017, 11:07 pm

I opened a '12 Hommage after finishing off a '14 Teutonic Bergspitze (white label) Laurel Vineyard that was oh so good, but i'm sure the Hommage will rise to the challenge after all it sat just above in the racking. [wink.gif]
  • 2012 Matello Pinot Noir Hommage - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (2/27/2017)
    Medium to dark ruby with raspberry nose. Tart red berry, red currants and getting some watermelon, Fuji apple on the ebb. A bit like a wave of tart fruit and than an ebb of mineral cane tannins. The fruit is soft, but bracketed by prominant acids and tannins. Has a similar quality of red table grapes with a good balance of the initial tartness followed by some mello fruit, than finishes with skin tannins. (89 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker

I totally forgot that I had Marcus set aside some of that PCC PN. [oops.gif]
DennisG

Peter Kleban
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by Peter Kleban » March 1st, 2017, 7:50 pm

Opened (after ~6 hr decant) a '12 Matello Deux Vert today. Starts slightly acid and thin, but very soon picks up weight and balance. Just a lovely wine, a real home run! Thanks, Marcus (and Corey)! I'll post a full TN soon.
Bob Wood:
WsOTY:
Fonseca Porto '77
d'Yquem '00

rfelthoven

#62 Post by rfelthoven » March 2nd, 2017, 9:02 am

Peter Kleban wrote:Opened (after ~6 hr decant) a '12 Matello Deux Vert today. Starts slightly acid and thin, but very soon picks up weight and balance. Just a lovely wine, a real home run! Thanks, Marcus (and Corey)! I'll post a full TN soon.
I think the sentence for baby killing is shorter in Oregon than in other states, but I wouldn't be putting any evidence up on a website just to be careful. Just kidding, Peter. I just picked up a couple '13s on BD and need to keep my hands off of them.
Ron

Peter Kleban
GCC Member
GCC Member

#63 Post by Peter Kleban » March 2nd, 2017, 12:10 pm

rfelthoven wrote:
Peter Kleban wrote:Opened (after ~6 hr decant) a '12 Matello Deux Vert today. Starts slightly acid and thin, but very soon picks up weight and balance. Just a lovely wine, a real home run! Thanks, Marcus (and Corey)! I'll post a full TN soon.
I think the sentence for baby killing is shorter in Oregon than in other states, but I wouldn't be putting any evidence up on a website just to be careful. Just kidding, Peter. I just picked up a couple '13s on BD and need to keep my hands off of them.
Aw, don't be bashful, Ron! Try one, I'll bet you'll enjoy it, as long as you give it lots of air first.

Besides, I may be looking for a cellmate ;-)
Bob Wood:
WsOTY:
Fonseca Porto '77
d'Yquem '00

R yan C omaz zetto
GCC Member
GCC Member

#64 Post by R yan C omaz zetto » March 2nd, 2017, 12:20 pm

Picking up some 2011 Souris from Full Pull tonight on the way home and I plan on popping one this weekend!

rfelthoven

#65 Post by rfelthoven » March 2nd, 2017, 4:08 pm

I bit on that one too. I had some already but at that price why not?
Ron

Marcus Goodfellow

#66 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » March 2nd, 2017, 8:57 pm

rfelthoven wrote:
I don't know Ron, the 2013 is still lean for sure but after an hour or so the aromatics are really lovely. Just make sure you have a bit of red meat to go along and it should be ok. (No pressure ;))
Last edited by Marcus Goodfellow on March 2nd, 2017, 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#67 Post by Scott Tallman » March 2nd, 2017, 9:12 pm

2010 Caprice. Not as lively as the '14 I had a few weeks ago, but still solid.

Was surprised this was 13.7% abv for 2010. Does not show at all, but for '10 guess thought would be lower.
CT - WestbyGod

Marcus Goodfellow

#68 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » March 2nd, 2017, 9:27 pm

Scott Tallman wrote:2010 Caprice. Not as lively as the '14 I had a few weeks ago, but still solid.

Was surprised this was 13.7% abv for 2010. Does not show at all, but for '10 guess thought would be lower.
Pinot Blanc is a quirky grape, and can accumulate sugar early, especially in a low yields vintage like 2010. It's an interesting consideration that an improving skill set as a winemaker, along with bigger clusters in a vintage, yield a better and livelier wine in a vintage like 2014 than 2010.

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#69 Post by Scott Tallman » March 2nd, 2017, 9:56 pm

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
Scott Tallman wrote:2010 Caprice. Not as lively as the '14 I had a few weeks ago, but still solid.

Pinot Blanc is a quirky grape, and can accumulate sugar early, especially in a low yields vintage like 2010. It's an interesting consideration that an improving skill set as a winemaker, along with bigger clusters in a vintage, yield a better and livelier wine in a vintage like 2014 than 2010.
Definitely interesting, and unexpected. Glad I stocked up on more of the '14 last weekend as that wine will be perfect for sunnier spring/summer weather.
CT - WestbyGod

rfelthoven

#70 Post by rfelthoven » March 3rd, 2017, 11:36 am

Marcus -- I've got 1 2010 and a couple of 2012's, too, of that Fool's Journey. Should I just drink them in order of age?
Ron

Tom Moore

#71 Post by Tom Moore » March 3rd, 2017, 4:26 pm

Had this over the last 2 nights - 2014 Goodfellow Family Cellars Chardonnay Richard's Cuvee
A bit much on the matchstick (reduction/sulphur?) on nose on day 1 & 2, day 2 the wine seemed to be all about oak. Fruit is hidden in background. My thoughts are this needs a couple years in cellar to integrate. I normally love that matchstick on nose but this was over powering.

I picked these up from Europa a few months back. I have tasted your wines Marcus at winery and don't remember this trait on any of the chards you were pouring. Hold?

rfelthoven

#72 Post by rfelthoven » March 3rd, 2017, 5:34 pm

I first noticed the flinty character on the 2013 Richard's. Marcus said he was going more reductive for flavor development. This is classic in burgundy and should mellow out.
Ron

Bob Hughes

#73 Post by Bob Hughes » March 3rd, 2017, 7:06 pm

To each his own, I guess. I love that matchstick note on the Richard's Cuvée, as to me it is very reminiscent of a young white Burg - and I can think of no higher compliment to any domestic Chardonnay than to compare it to a wine that might cost twice as much (or more).

Marcus Goodfellow

#74 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » March 6th, 2017, 5:47 am

rfelthoven wrote:Marcus -- I've got 1 2010 and a couple of 2012's, too, of that Fool's Journey. Should I just drink them in order of age?
I would drink the 2010 first but none are in any hurry. The 2012 definitely will continue to evolve for another couple of years.

Marcus Goodfellow

#75 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » March 6th, 2017, 5:54 am

Tom Moore wrote:Had this over the last 2 nights - 2014 Goodfellow Family Cellars Chardonnay Richard's Cuvee
A bit much on the matchstick (reduction/sulphur?) on nose on day 1 & 2, day 2 the wine seemed to be all about oak. Fruit is hidden in background. My thoughts are this needs a couple years in cellar to integrate. I normally love that matchstick on nose but this was over powering.

I picked these up from Europa a few months back. I have tasted your wines Marcus at winery and don't remember this trait on any of the chards you were pouring. Hold?
Hi Tom, I would definitely say hold. As Ron noted, the 2013 & 2014 are more reductive than previous vintages. Over the past few years I have been tasting some older vintages of Chardonnay and really believe that the "Coche Dury" notes in the young wines were present in almost all of the wines I liked best. Not only as an aromatic influence(I really love the way reductive notes in Chardonnay evolve over time), but also freshness as the wine aged, and texturally as well.

Bob Hughes

#76 Post by Bob Hughes » March 13th, 2017, 8:00 am

Had dinner last night at a local bistro with Jeff Vaughan and our decidedly better halves [cheers.gif] , where we paired up the food with a "modified" Pobega from BD - 2014 Richard's Cuvee and Durant Chardonnays along side the two Pinots, a 2009 Lazarus and the 2008 Winter's Hill.

I thought all four wines showed well - side by side, the Richard's Cuvee had more pronounced matchstick notes on the nose, and is also a fuller-bodied Chard than the Durant. Ann also mentioned the oak here, although not enough that it bothered me. As I have observed in the past, I really like what Marcus is doing with Chardonnay in the recent vintages.

The two Pinots were very interesting - I'm guessing that 2009 was a ripe/hot vintage in Oregon, as the Lazarus came across as more "fleshy"/alcoholic. The 2008 Winter's Hill was restrained & elegant. I liked them both, and really enjoyed how different the two wines showed - one of the fun things about vintage variation in a place like Oregon, IMO. If I had to speculate, I would put my money on the Winter's Hill as the better wine 10 years from now, but last night I think I preferred the "in your face" showiness of the Lazarus.

Jeff Vaughan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#77 Post by Jeff Vaughan » March 13th, 2017, 10:45 am

Bob, I was pleasantly surprised by these wines. I know very little about Oregon wine other than the bits and pieces I have learned from Monsieur Trimpi.

I think you described the wines very well. We both liked all four of them, but I preferred the Richard's Cuvee and the Winter's Hill slightly. I really liked the light flinty/matchstick notes and what I thought was salinity/minerality in the Richard's Cuvee. I would have guessed white Burgundy if I didn't know better. I also liked the restraint and higher perceived acidity in the Winter's Hill.

I checked out the Matello and Goodfellow websites and see that these wines are reasonably priced, too. I would consider buying these, especially the Chardonnay.

It looks like there is some overlap in the vineyards and wineries. What are the differences in style between Goodfellow and Matello?
CT: outplaying

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#78 Post by Richard T r i m p i » March 13th, 2017, 11:18 am

Jeff Vaughan wrote:What are the differences in style between Goodfellow and Matello?
It's a trick Marcus came up with to keep customers chronically confused. Wait till he breaks out Goodtello and Mafellow. neener

Honestly, he explains it better than anyone.

Nice exploration. Yes 09 was ripe but a select few dialed it in. QPR? Pretty hard to beat.

Word is there's a new addition to the Goodfellow family (not the vinous kind) on the way. So stock up!

RT

rfelthoven

#79 Post by rfelthoven » March 13th, 2017, 1:11 pm

Had a '13 Matello WV pinot noir over two days this weekend and it was a really nice, red fruited zippy number, if you're into that sort of thing.
Ron

Jeff Vaughan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#80 Post by Jeff Vaughan » March 14th, 2017, 4:37 am

We went back and revisited the wines last night. The whites took on a slight oily texture and showed a little more oak. I liked them better on night one. The Pinot's showed well on day two. I still prefer the Winter's Hill as it took on some savory notes where the Lazarus seemed a little more candied.
CT: outplaying

Marcus Goodfellow

#81 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » March 14th, 2017, 1:44 pm

Jeff Vaughan wrote:We went back and revisited the wines last night. The whites took on a slight oily texture and showed a little more oak. I liked them better on night one. The Pinot's showed well on day two. I still prefer the Winter's Hill as it took on some savory notes where the Lazarus seemed a little more candied.
You're impressions for the Pinots on day 2 would fall in line with the nature of the 08 and 09 vintages.

Marcus Goodfellow

#82 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » March 14th, 2017, 1:46 pm

rfelthoven wrote:Had a '13 Matello WV pinot noir over two days this weekend and it was a really nice, red fruited zippy number, if you're into that sort of thing.
Ron, I'm not sure why but I suddenly had the urge to go rent a vintage Alpha Romeo convertible.

I really am enjoying the evolution of both of the 2013 WV wines. As you said, you have to be into that sort of thing, but they're filling in and very lively right now.

Marcus Goodfellow

#83 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » March 14th, 2017, 1:54 pm

Jeff Vaughan wrote:Bob, I was pleasantly surprised by these wines. I know very little about Oregon wine other than the bits and pieces I have learned from Monsieur Trimpi.

I think you described the wines very well. We both liked all four of them, but I preferred the Richard's Cuvee and the Winter's Hill slightly. I really liked the light flinty/matchstick notes and what I thought was salinity/minerality in the Richard's Cuvee. I would have guessed white Burgundy if I didn't know better. I also liked the restraint and higher perceived acidity in the Winter's Hill.

I checked out the Matello and Goodfellow websites and see that these wines are reasonably priced, too. I would consider buying these, especially the Chardonnay.

It looks like there is some overlap in the vineyards and wineries. What are the differences in style between Goodfellow and Matello?
...as M. Trimpi suggests, it's a cheap trick. I started with Matello in 2002, but after 10 years, I realized that I really enjoyed talking more about the vineyards and less about what Matello means and how to pronounce it.

Having just added a second generation, is seems smart to rename the winery after the family name. Matello is only about 4 wines at the moment, the rest are all under the Goodfellow label.

rfelthoven

#84 Post by rfelthoven » March 16th, 2017, 7:51 am

Ma-tay-oh :)
Ron

Marcus Goodfellow

#85 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » March 16th, 2017, 10:11 am

Ron, you get the Hemingway award.

rfelthoven

#86 Post by rfelthoven » March 16th, 2017, 12:12 pm

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:Ron, you get the Hemingway award.
neener

Yes, I know it actually rhymes with "cello"...
Ron

Marcus Goodfellow

#87 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » March 16th, 2017, 9:07 pm

Oh yes, the Hemingway award is for the writing that completely sums up the situation in the briefest possible composition.

P Intag
GCC Member
GCC Member

#88 Post by P Intag » April 6th, 2017, 12:36 pm

I popped a 2014 Goodfellow WV Pinot last night and was surprised how light-bodied and acidic it was, considering the vintage. Honestly, I found it to be quite screechy with a bitter finish and hard to really enjoy. It did have some nice fruit on the attack, but it faded pretty fast. A couple other CT notes seemed to have this experience as well. Should I be holding these for a few more years?
Paul

rfelthoven

#89 Post by rfelthoven » April 6th, 2017, 12:53 pm

I think you can certainly hold for a while. The other night we opened the 2013, 2014, and 2015 Goodfellow WVs side by side. They weren't worlds apart stylistically, and were strikingly similar, but on day 2 we agreed we liked the 2013 the best. I was pleasantly surprised at the lightness exhibited by 2014 and 2015. To each their own.
Ron

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#90 Post by Rick Allen » April 6th, 2017, 3:09 pm

We had a 2015 Goodfellow WV Chardonnay last night. This punches way above its weight. Fantastic lemon/green apple flavors, slightly reduced, spicy, excellent acidity. I'm glad to have a case of it. For $25, this is a steal.

Marcus Goodfellow

#91 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » April 6th, 2017, 11:00 pm

[quote="P Intag"]I popped a 2014 Goodfellow WV Pinot last night and was surprised how light-bodied and acidic it was, considering the vintage. Honestly, I found it to be quite screechy with a bitter finish and hard to really enjoy. It did have some nice fruit on the attack, but it faded pretty fast. A couple other CT notes seemed to have this experience as well. Should I be holding these for a few more years?[/quote

Thanks for trying out the 2014 Willamette Valley. I would definitely recommend waiting a few years even for the Willamette Valley bottling. For the most part, my rule of thumb is 4-5 years for the Willamette Valley, 6-8 years for the volcanic soils, and 7-10 years for the sedimentary wines. That doesn't mean you can't open them sooner, but if you do I really recommend a good bit of air and/or old school French food(duck confit, braised lamb or short ribs, slow roasted pork, etc.) The range really represents warmer vintage to cooler, the 2014 WV is a more forward bottle than usual for me and should come around sooner. That said, I really, really like the WV bottling around the 10 year point. 04 is great right now, as is 07. 08 needs time, and the 09 is perhaps from a ripe enough vintage that now is a good point for it as well.

Based a little bit on your reaction, you may want to check out the 14 Durant Vineyard bottling. It's old vines, volcanic soils, very long in the palate, and while both structured and retaining good acidity it's a more rounded wine as well.

Last thought, I think of our wines as a bit of an acquired taste. They do grow on you.

Marcus Goodfellow

#92 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » April 6th, 2017, 11:01 pm

rfelthoven wrote:I think you can certainly hold for a while. The other night we opened the 2013, 2014, and 2015 Goodfellow WVs side by side. They weren't worlds apart stylistically, and were strikingly similar, but on day 2 we agreed we liked the 2013 the best. I was pleasantly surprised at the lightness exhibited by 2014 and 2015. To each their own.
Amen brother!

P Intag
GCC Member
GCC Member

#93 Post by P Intag » April 7th, 2017, 1:55 pm

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
P Intag wrote:I popped a 2014 Goodfellow WV Pinot last night and was surprised how light-bodied and acidic it was, considering the vintage. Honestly, I found it to be quite screechy with a bitter finish and hard to really enjoy. It did have some nice fruit on the attack, but it faded pretty fast. A couple other CT notes seemed to have this experience as well. Should I be holding these for a few more years?
Thanks for trying out the 2014 Willamette Valley. I would definitely recommend waiting a few years even for the Willamette Valley bottling. For the most part, my rule of thumb is 4-5 years for the Willamette Valley, 6-8 years for the volcanic soils, and 7-10 years for the sedimentary wines. That doesn't mean you can't open them sooner, but if you do I really recommend a good bit of air and/or old school French food(duck confit, braised lamb or short ribs, slow roasted pork, etc.) The range really represents warmer vintage to cooler, the 2014 WV is a more forward bottle than usual for me and should come around sooner. That said, I really, really like the WV bottling around the 10 year point. 04 is great right now, as is 07. 08 needs time, and the 09 is perhaps from a ripe enough vintage that now is a good point for it as well.

Based a little bit on your reaction, you may want to check out the 14 Durant Vineyard bottling. It's old vines, volcanic soils, very long in the palate, and while both structured and retaining good acidity it's a more rounded wine as well.

Last thought, I think of our wines as a bit of an acquired taste. They do grow on you.
Thanks for your insight, Marcus. There was still a glass left in the bottle (vacuvin'd overnight) last night. It seems to have picked up a little weight and softened a bit to go along with diminished bitterness on the finish. I found it much more enjoyable than the pop 'n pour. Still, this is definitely a Pinot for acid freaks and was a little bit above my acidity wheelhouse (though, I'd rather have a little too much acidity than not enough). I'll bury my other bottle deep into my wine fridge for at least a couple more years.
This was an interesting contrast to the 2014 Elk Cove WV I opened a few weeks ago which was had an abundance of plush fruit and not enough acidity - very different wines. Just goes to show that wine making decisions can have more influence on the presentation of the wine than the vintage characteristics.
Paul

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#94 Post by Richard T r i m p i » April 7th, 2017, 2:13 pm

Paul,

Marcus definitely makes wines that are brighter than average for Oregon. The style leans a lot more towards Burgundy than California. "Pinot for acid freaks"?....some might say "Pinot for purists". Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I tend to pair my wine with food which moderates perceived acidity. I've never found his wines screeching. Elk Cove Pinots are a completely different beast. There's a lot of middle ground between the two to explore.

RT

P Intag
GCC Member
GCC Member

#95 Post by P Intag » April 7th, 2017, 5:49 pm

Richard T r i m p i wrote:Paul,

Marcus definitely makes wines that are brighter than average for Oregon. The style leans a lot more towards Burgundy than California. "Pinot for acid freaks"?....some might say "Pinot for purists". Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I tend to pair my wine with food which moderates perceived acidity. I've never found his wines screeching. Elk Cove Pinots are a completely different beast. There's a lot of middle ground between the two to explore.

RT
Based on my limited experience with Oregon Pinot, I'd say that PGC falls into that "middle ground". I've also really enjoyed the McKinlay's that I've tried. I'll try to get more of Marcus' wines going forward, as well. So, I guess Elk Cove has a reputation for more fruit-driven Pinot?
Paul

Marcus Goodfellow

#96 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » April 7th, 2017, 11:02 pm

PGC and McKinlay are two of my personal favorites as well. It's especially nice to see McKinlay mentioned, there are a LOT of PGC fans but Matt Kinne's wines seem to fly under the radar for most people.
As mentioned, I'm with Rich regarding food but I would encourage you to try some of the Goodfellow vineyard designates. While the true pH in them is often lower, they also have more fruit around the acidity. You might avoid the Whistling Ridge PN though, it's a wine that often carries bitterness in it's youth. Those compounds are what elevate it with 7-10 years of cellaring though.

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#97 Post by dsGriswold » April 8th, 2017, 12:39 am

I have been drinking too many Pinots lately, so opened a '12 Deux Vert syrah the other night, and while I like these and other WV syrahs a lot, I just had to open another PN. The debbil made me do it! [snort.gif]
DennisG

rfelthoven

#98 Post by rfelthoven » April 8th, 2017, 7:59 am

Richard T r i m p i wrote:Paul,

RT
I agree that Marcus probably wouldn't want to market his wine as Pinot for acid freaks but just between the two of us, who else consistently provides a bigger hit of acid than Marcus? Maybe Teutonic, but I'm not aware of too many others that more consistently satisfy my acid craving. There is a lot more than the acid going on, and plenty of flavor and texture, but who else consistently produces is higher acid wines?
Ron

P Intag
GCC Member
GCC Member

#99 Post by P Intag » April 8th, 2017, 9:29 am

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:PGC and McKinlay are two of my personal favorites as well. It's especially nice to see McKinlay mentioned, there are a LOT of PGC fans but Matt Kinne's wines seem to fly under the radar for most people.
As mentioned, I'm with Rich regarding food but I would encourage you to try some of the Goodfellow vineyard designates. While the true pH in them is often lower, they also have more fruit around the acidity. You might avoid the Whistling Ridge PN though, it's a wine that often carries bitterness in it's youth. Those compounds are what elevate it with 7-10 years of cellaring though.
I don't drink much Burg - pretty much priced out these days :( - but I like even village wines with 10+ years of age. It sounds like I need the same mindset with your Pinot. I'm still trying to get my footing with Oregon Pinot - it's becoming quite a journey! And I appreciate the collective knowledge of the Berserkers.
Paul

Bob Hughes

#100 Post by Bob Hughes » April 8th, 2017, 10:59 am

So I'm delving into some of Marcus' "other wines" this weekend - sitting here as I type this with a glass of the 2015 Whistling Ridge Blanc, and I also tried the 2014 WV Chard and the 2013 Deux Vert this afternoon (both of the latter two bottles being opened last night).

So my thoughts - well, without hopefully coming across here as too critical, while I think the 2014 entry-level Chard is fine for what it is, unless you have a problem with spending more than $25 for a domestic Chardonnay, I think the additional tariff for either the Durant or the Richard's Cuvee is definitely worth it.

This Blanc wine, though, is certainly one that makes you think - if someone poured it for me blind, I think I would be totally clueless as to what it was, but without knowing the details of the blend, I would say that the Riesling speaks more clearly/loudly in this particular blend.

Finally, the 2013 Deux Vert - another interesting wine, and very lightly colored for a wine that is 94% Syrah - color-wise, I could have mistaken this wine for a Nerello Mascalese. I liked it, but to be honest, I can't say I would have placed it in the northern Rhone if I was drinking it blind.

Return to “Wine Talk”