What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
User avatar
Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15050
Joined: September 11th, 2009, 1:29 pm
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#451 Post by Richard T r i m p i » April 1st, 2020, 6:35 pm

c fu wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 7:39 pm
Had the 2016 Heritage #8 this weekend. I know it's supposed to be akin to Burgundy, but it actually reminded me a lot of spatburgunder. Spiced stem, floral notes, light cranberry. I really enjoyed it. Had it next to a 2014 Fourrier aux Echezeaux. Very different wines, but very tasty in their own styles
I've always found his Chards more Burgundian...although the Pinots lean that way considerably more than the average OR producer. Spatburgunder is a good call for warmer vintages, like 2016. That particular wine reminded me of a tasty Cristom (an iconic OR winery).

RT

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2992
Joined: June 3rd, 2009, 10:17 am

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#452 Post by MitchTallan » April 9th, 2020, 8:48 am

2016 Goodfellow Cellars Whistling Ridge Blanc
White pepper, gooseberry, celery seed, and a spiciness reminscent of gruner veltliner. Subtle floral/jasmine notes emerge as the wine warms. The attack is bright, agile and angular. The spice extends to the palate revealing quince and cherry pits. Persistent crisp midpalate and pleasing length. Listed 12% abv. A food-friendly white offering very fine value at $20.
I opened my third bottle of a case two nights ago.
RT's note above is spot-on to what I tasted when I cracked the first one in October of '19 but this is a great place right now-the "attack" is no longer "bright and angular" and instead has smoothed out. Rather than being Gruner-like, it reminded me of an non-oaked Puligny or similarly styled domestic chard. The palate feel is gossamer and lively at once. The aromatics are much more vivid than previously and there is a much longer lingering finish. On day two, after being corked but not gassed, it took on an ever so-slightly honeyed note. Still quite pleasing, but I liked it much more on Day 1.
This is a phenomenal value. Utterly amazing quality for the price. An F-ing steal!
I wish Marcus had a wine club with auto shipments. I would ask him and Megan to simply send me a case of this each vintage.

User avatar
Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1763
Joined: April 21st, 2015, 6:05 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#453 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » April 9th, 2020, 10:57 am

What's the typical blend percentage of each grape varietal in the Blanc?
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

Doug Uno
Posts: 138
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 4:50 pm

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#454 Post by Doug Uno » April 9th, 2020, 7:15 pm

Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 10:57 am
What's the typical blend percentage of each grape varietal in the Blanc?
The 2016 had the following blend.

VARIETALS: RIESLING 62%, PINOT NOIR 18%, PINOT BLANC 14%, GEWURZTRAMINER 6%

The 2018 had the following blend.

VARIETALS: RIESLING 54%, PINOT NOIR 20%, PINOT BLANC 20%, GEWURZTRAMINER 6%

User avatar
Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 964
Joined: July 10th, 2016, 9:30 pm
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#455 Post by Sean_S » April 9th, 2020, 9:12 pm

MitchTallan wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 8:48 am
2016 Goodfellow Cellars Whistling Ridge Blanc
White pepper, gooseberry, celery seed, and a spiciness reminscent of gruner veltliner. Subtle floral/jasmine notes emerge as the wine warms. The attack is bright, agile and angular. The spice extends to the palate revealing quince and cherry pits. Persistent crisp midpalate and pleasing length. Listed 12% abv. A food-friendly white offering very fine value at $20.
I opened my third bottle of a case two nights ago.
RT's note above is spot-on to what I tasted when I cracked the first one in October of '19 but this is a great place right now-the "attack" is no longer "bright and angular" and instead has smoothed out. Rather than being Gruner-like, it reminded me of an non-oaked Puligny or similarly styled domestic chard. The palate feel is gossamer and lively at once. The aromatics are much more vivid than previously and there is a much longer lingering finish. On day two, after being corked but not gassed, it took on an ever so-slightly honeyed note. Still quite pleasing, but I liked it much more on Day 1.
This is a phenomenal value. Utterly amazing quality for the price. An F-ing steal!
I wish Marcus had a wine club with auto shipments. I would ask him and Megan to simply send me a case of this each vintage.
Haven't popped one of the 2018's here, but its a perennial favorite. I have resorted to putting reminders on my calendar as to when things like this are released and then text/email Marcus.
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates
1994 Ravenswood Petite Sirah Sonoma County
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 1979
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#456 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » April 9th, 2020, 10:56 pm

MitchTallan wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 8:48 am
2016 Goodfellow Cellars Whistling Ridge Blanc
White pepper, gooseberry, celery seed, and a spiciness reminscent of gruner veltliner. Subtle floral/jasmine notes emerge as the wine warms. The attack is bright, agile and angular. The spice extends to the palate revealing quince and cherry pits. Persistent crisp midpalate and pleasing length. Listed 12% abv. A food-friendly white offering very fine value at $20.
I opened my third bottle of a case two nights ago.
RT's note above is spot-on to what I tasted when I cracked the first one in October of '19 but this is a great place right now-the "attack" is no longer "bright and angular" and instead has smoothed out. Rather than being Gruner-like, it reminded me of an non-oaked Puligny or similarly styled domestic chard. The palate feel is gossamer and lively at once. The aromatics are much more vivid than previously and there is a much longer lingering finish. On day two, after being corked but not gassed, it took on an ever so-slightly honeyed note. Still quite pleasing, but I liked it much more on Day 1.
This is a phenomenal value. Utterly amazing quality for the price. An F-ing steal!
I wish Marcus had a wine club with auto shipments. I would ask him and Megan to simply send me a case of this each vintage.
We can most definitely make an arrangement for you Mitch! Especially for that wine, it’s always just magical.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2992
Joined: June 3rd, 2009, 10:17 am

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#457 Post by MitchTallan » April 10th, 2020, 6:21 am

Thank you. I missed out on the '17 and '18 which has me scratching my head. Did emails go to my spam folder? F-me!

User avatar
Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15050
Joined: September 11th, 2009, 1:29 pm
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#458 Post by Richard T r i m p i » April 10th, 2020, 7:14 am

MitchTallan wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 6:21 am
Thank you. I missed out on the '17 and '18 which has me scratching my head.
Is it Todd H who refers to that wine simply as "Crack"? Terrific bargain.

RT

Bill Mauger
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 179
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 7:39 am

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#459 Post by Bill Mauger » April 10th, 2020, 8:02 am

Yes CRACK! So quaffable. A regular purchase for me since the 14 vintage. Amazing how you open a bottle and how quickly it disappears. Still have 3 from my case of 14’s - I am trying to let some age but oh so difficult.

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 1979
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#460 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » April 10th, 2020, 10:33 pm

MitchTallan wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 6:21 am
Thank you. I missed out on the '17 and '18 which has me scratching my head. Did emails go to my spam folder? F-me!
I hope not. I do have some 2018, every bit the wine you would expect.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

User avatar
Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 964
Joined: July 10th, 2016, 9:30 pm
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#461 Post by Sean_S » April 11th, 2020, 2:51 pm

Pobega'd 2018 Dundee Hills Chard the other night. Great minerality, great fruit and acid and long finish. Serious QPR for the price.

Also the 2018 Ribbon Ridge Pinot - dense, great acid and tannin. Another serious QPR wine.

Both these wines are drinking well and seem to have plenty of stuffing for the long. One thing I certainly love about Goodfellow wines. There is no real sacrifice in structure. Even at the low end, these wines have stuffing for 5-10 years. All bottled under DIAM closure (My preference).

Sean
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates
1994 Ravenswood Petite Sirah Sonoma County
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard

User avatar
Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1763
Joined: April 21st, 2015, 6:05 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#462 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » April 18th, 2020, 6:53 pm

  • 2014 Goodfellow Family Cellars Pinot Noir Whistling Ridge Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (4/18/2020)
    Poured in a Grassl Cru glass without a decant and followed over the course of the evening.

    Bright notes of tart cherry, raspberry, and sous bois are immediately present in the glass. After an hour, floral aromas of dried rose petals and potpourri poke through the intoxicating tart fruit, which starts to take on some subtle blackberry and black cherry flavors. Softened tannins and mouthwatering acidity provides a generous lift to the fruit on the palate. This wine has grace and finesse, great purity in its fruit profile, and exudes a feeling of serenity.

    Looking forward to seeing it develop further, and I plan to check on my other bottle after 5 years, but there's no reason not to enjoy it now. (93 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 1979
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#463 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » April 18th, 2020, 7:33 pm

Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
April 18th, 2020, 6:53 pm
  • 2014 Goodfellow Family Cellars Pinot Noir Whistling Ridge Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (4/18/2020)
    Poured in a Grassl Cru glass without a decant and followed over the course of the evening.

    Bright notes of tart cherry, raspberry, and sous bois are immediately present in the glass. After an hour, floral aromas of dried rose petals and potpourri poke through the intoxicating tart fruit, which starts to take on some subtle blackberry and black cherry flavors. Softened tannins and mouthwatering acidity provides a generous lift to the fruit on the palate. This wine has grace and finesse, great purity in its fruit profile, and exudes a feeling of serenity.

    Looking forward to seeing it develop further, and I plan to check on my other bottle after 5 years, but there's no reason not to enjoy it now. (93 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
In all seriousness, you and Sean Smith write great tasting notes. This is probably the 4th or 5th in a month that I am hoping to “borrow”. Will definitely credit you both though.

Also hoping RT sees this, as I know of his fondness for 2014s in general...(to be fair, I feel like we hit the lottery with what we were able to achieve in 2014).
Last edited by Marcus Goodfellow on April 18th, 2020, 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

User avatar
Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1763
Joined: April 21st, 2015, 6:05 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#464 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » April 18th, 2020, 7:35 pm

Go for it!

I chose the 2014 from that library 6-pack, thinking the 2013 Heritage probably needs some more time in the bottle to develop. Planning to check on the 2015 Richard’s Cuvée chard soon though, will be a nice treat after my next two weeks on service 😋
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

User avatar
Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 964
Joined: July 10th, 2016, 9:30 pm
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#465 Post by Sean_S » April 18th, 2020, 10:29 pm

Great Note, Brian. I've never had the 14. I still have one in the cellar. Early experience with the 15 said it needed 5-10 years to hit its stride. Which was surprising as the 15 Heritage from WR was more approachable. The WR vertical filled in some holes in my cellar and look forward to tasting them in the future. Been sampling the new 18's and am liking what I am tasting so far.

Sean
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates
1994 Ravenswood Petite Sirah Sonoma County
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard

User avatar
Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15050
Joined: September 11th, 2009, 1:29 pm
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#466 Post by Richard T r i m p i » April 19th, 2020, 5:30 am

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
April 18th, 2020, 7:33 pm
Also hoping RT sees this, as I know of his fondness for 2014s in general...(to be fair, I feel like we hit the lottery with what we were able to achieve in 2014).
As I've often said, there are excellent wines made in every OR vintage (except maybe 2003 [cheers.gif]). It's about probability and producer. I've preferred the odds in vintages like 2005, 2007, 2010, 2011 and 2017. Only so much buying/consuming you can do without turning professional. [wink.gif]

RT

User avatar
Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1763
Joined: April 21st, 2015, 6:05 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#467 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » April 19th, 2020, 10:19 am

Sean_S wrote:
April 18th, 2020, 10:29 pm
Great Note, Brian. I've never had the 14. I still have one in the cellar. Early experience with the 15 said it needed 5-10 years to hit its stride. Which was surprising as the 15 Heritage from WR was more approachable. The WR vertical filled in some holes in my cellar and look forward to tasting them in the future. Been sampling the new 18's and am liking what I am tasting so far.

Sean
Thanks for the tips. I don't have any 2015s, just another of the 2014 Whistling Ridge PN and then 2 bottles of the 2013 Heritage which I'll hold onto.

What's the philosophy behind the Heritage bottlings again? Better parcel of fruit from the vineyard? Different approach in the cellar? Both?
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

User avatar
Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 964
Joined: July 10th, 2016, 9:30 pm
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#468 Post by Sean_S » April 19th, 2020, 7:46 pm

  • 2018 Goodfellow Family Cellars Chardonnay Dundee Hills - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (4/6/2020)
    This newest incarnation of fruit from the Durant vineyard is quite lovely. It's light pale color in the glass looks delicate. Minerals, white fruit, stone, and lemon on the nose to me. There are light hints of flint and bright and tart white fruit, citrus on the front of the palate. Fruit and juicy acidity and those subtle notes from the barrel fill the mid palate. IMO, you just don't get complexity like this from all stainless. The acidity kicks in on the midpalate and then drives the long finish. Bright, lean, and coiled. Yum. Just finished the 2nd bottle in the last 10 days. A quality wine for a few $ more than the WV bottling. I can't wait to compare this to the 2018 Ribbon Ridge. This wine is not like the 2017 Dundee Hills which I've called the kinder and gentler Goodfellow chardonnay, Its a nice chiseled classic Goodfellow Chadonnay. It seems after a few samples now, 2018 as a Goodfellow vintage seems have a bit more ripe fruit in the mix but still serious acidity and elegance you expect. Another bargain to drink on a regular basis.
    Image
Posted from CellarTracker
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates
1994 Ravenswood Petite Sirah Sonoma County
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard

User avatar
Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1763
Joined: April 21st, 2015, 6:05 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#469 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » April 19th, 2020, 8:00 pm

Nice Sean. Love wines that are chiseled :)

I’m on day 2 of the 2014 Whistling Ridge PN. The wine has more dark fruit (black cherry, blackberry) balanced with non-fruit notes of dried red and purple flowers (getting more violet than rose petals on day 2), sous bois, and a nice dollop of spice. Definitely has some more zest on the palate today. The freshness is unchanged. On to day 3!
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

User avatar
Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 964
Joined: July 10th, 2016, 9:30 pm
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#470 Post by Sean_S » April 19th, 2020, 8:07 pm

Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
April 19th, 2020, 8:00 pm
Nice Sean. Love wines that are chiseled :)

I’m on day 2 of the 2014 Whistling Ridge PN. The wine has more dark fruit (black cherry, blackberry) balanced with non-fruit notes of dried red and purple flowers (getting more violet than rose petals on day 2), sous bois, and a nice dollop of spice. Definitely has some more zest on the palate today. The freshness is unchanged. On to day 3!
Yum!
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates
1994 Ravenswood Petite Sirah Sonoma County
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 1979
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#471 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » April 19th, 2020, 11:15 pm

Richard T r i m p i wrote:
April 19th, 2020, 5:30 am
Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
April 18th, 2020, 7:33 pm
Also hoping RT sees this, as I know of his fondness for 2014s in general...(to be fair, I feel like we hit the lottery with what we were able to achieve in 2014).
As I've often said, there are excellent wines made in every OR vintage (except maybe 2003 [cheers.gif]). It's about probability and producer. I've preferred the odds in vintages like 2005, 2007, 2010, 2011 and 2017. Only so much buying/consuming you can do without turning professional. [wink.gif]

RT
That’s a really great way to put that. The odds change with each vintage.

I may be proud of 2014, but 2005, 2010, and 2017 are great vintages.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

User avatar
Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1763
Joined: April 21st, 2015, 6:05 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#472 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » April 20th, 2020, 6:49 pm

Day 3 of the 2014 Whistling Ridge PN (yes, I saved some!). The floral aromatics and black cherry/blackberry notes are still there, but the sous bois and baking spice notes (especially clove and star anise) are starting to take over. Down the gullet!
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

S teve R edenbaugh
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 256
Joined: April 23rd, 2018, 12:28 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#473 Post by S teve R edenbaugh » April 21st, 2020, 8:04 am

We drank our first bottle of 2017 Goodfellow Whistling Ridge Chardonnay couple nights ago. My goodness is this drinking well already. We made our first trip to McMinnville last Thanksgiving and enjoyed tasting at Goodfellow. As I am an idiot, I double ordered...all chardonnay. Lucky me...I now look like a genius with nearly two cases of Chardonnay in the cellar. Good as Willamette Pinots are...its the Chardonnays that turn me into a slobbering idiot.

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 1979
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#474 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » April 21st, 2020, 8:54 am

S teve R edenbaugh wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 8:04 am
We drank our first bottle of 2017 Goodfellow Whistling Ridge Chardonnay couple nights ago. My goodness is this drinking well already. We made our first trip to McMinnville last Thanksgiving and enjoyed tasting at Goodfellow. As I am an idiot, I double ordered...all chardonnay. Lucky me...I now look like a genius with nearly two cases of Chardonnay in the cellar. Good as Willamette Pinots are...its the Chardonnays that turn me into a slobbering idiot.
champagne.gif

17 white wines are in a great early phase, and yes you do look like a genius! The past four vintages have just been stellar for white wines, and I keep running into just fantastic Chardonnays around the Valley.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 36840
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#475 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » April 21st, 2020, 6:56 pm

David Bueker - Rieslingfan

User avatar
Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1763
Joined: April 21st, 2015, 6:05 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#476 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » April 21st, 2020, 7:00 pm

S teve R edenbaugh wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 8:04 am
We drank our first bottle of 2017 Goodfellow Whistling Ridge Chardonnay couple nights ago. My goodness is this drinking well already. We made our first trip to McMinnville last Thanksgiving and enjoyed tasting at Goodfellow. As I am an idiot, I double ordered...all chardonnay. Lucky me...I now look like a genius with nearly two cases of Chardonnay in the cellar. Good as Willamette Pinots are...its the Chardonnays that turn me into a slobbering idiot.
I think you need more cases.

Marcus, do you find the chardonnays go through any muted phase as they age?
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

User avatar
Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4536
Joined: June 7th, 2009, 10:13 am
Location: McMinnville, OR

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#477 Post by Rick Allen » April 21st, 2020, 7:16 pm

I picked up a bunch of Chardonnay from Marcus last week. So far, the Durant is a real winner, the Willamette Valley is open for business, the Ribbon Ridge probably needs six months, and the Dundee Hills will get tucked away for a least a year.

User avatar
Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 964
Joined: July 10th, 2016, 9:30 pm
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#478 Post by Sean_S » April 21st, 2020, 8:06 pm

S teve R edenbaugh wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 8:04 am
We drank our first bottle of 2017 Goodfellow Whistling Ridge Chardonnay couple nights ago. My goodness is this drinking well already. We made our first trip to McMinnville last Thanksgiving and enjoyed tasting at Goodfellow. As I am an idiot, I double ordered...all chardonnay. Lucky me...I now look like a genius with nearly two cases of Chardonnay in the cellar. Good as Willamette Pinots are...its the Chardonnays that turn me into a slobbering idiot.
Sounds like a good problem to have...
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates
1994 Ravenswood Petite Sirah Sonoma County
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard

User avatar
Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 964
Joined: July 10th, 2016, 9:30 pm
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#479 Post by Sean_S » April 21st, 2020, 8:11 pm

Rick Allen wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 7:16 pm
I picked up a bunch of Chardonnay from Marcus last week. So far, the Durant is a real winner, the Willamette Valley is open for business, the Ribbon Ridge probably needs six months, and the Dundee Hills will get tucked away for a least a year.
[thankyou.gif]

I Would be interested on your take on the WV versus Dundee Hills versus Ribbon Ridge. They are all QPR offerings around ~20. In 2017 the RR was my favorite over the WV with the kinder and gentler 17 Dundee Hills out of the running. In 2018 with the Dundee Hills drinking well its going to be a tight race as to which is one is my QPR Champ. Haven't taken possession of the RR or the WV yet. I need to fix that. Honestly didn't know they were available yet.

Sean
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates
1994 Ravenswood Petite Sirah Sonoma County
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard

User avatar
PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3958
Joined: May 14th, 2011, 3:06 pm

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#480 Post by PeterH » April 21st, 2020, 8:54 pm

We drank a bottle of the 2016 WV over two days. The first day it was tilted towards citrus, and could have been a good Viré-Clessé or Pouilly Fuissé. A bit of oak to round it out, but fresh and food friendly. The next day it had turned more tropical and gave a sweeter impression. More on par with a Pernand-Vergelesses. Really a bargain if you seek classically styled Chardonnays.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

User avatar
Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4536
Joined: June 7th, 2009, 10:13 am
Location: McMinnville, OR

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#481 Post by Rick Allen » April 22nd, 2020, 6:17 am

Sean_S wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 8:11 pm
Rick Allen wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 7:16 pm
I picked up a bunch of Chardonnay from Marcus last week. So far, the Durant is a real winner, the Willamette Valley is open for business, the Ribbon Ridge probably needs six months, and the Dundee Hills will get tucked away for a least a year.
[thankyou.gif]

I Would be interested on your take on the WV versus Dundee Hills versus Ribbon Ridge. They are all QPR offerings around ~20. In 2017 the RR was my favorite over the WV with the kinder and gentler 17 Dundee Hills out of the running. In 2018 with the Dundee Hills drinking well its going to be a tight race as to which is one is my QPR Champ. Haven't taken possession of the RR or the WV yet. I need to fix that. Honestly didn't know they were available yet.

Sean
Sean, I'm not sure if they are officially available yet, though if not, I would expect they will be shortly.

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 1979
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#482 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » April 22nd, 2020, 9:07 pm

Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 7:00 pm
S teve R edenbaugh wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 8:04 am
We drank our first bottle of 2017 Goodfellow Whistling Ridge Chardonnay couple nights ago. My goodness is this drinking well already. We made our first trip to McMinnville last Thanksgiving and enjoyed tasting at Goodfellow. As I am an idiot, I double ordered...all chardonnay. Lucky me...I now look like a genius with nearly two cases of Chardonnay in the cellar. Good as Willamette Pinots are...its the Chardonnays that turn me into a slobbering idiot.
I think you need more cases.

Marcus, do you find the chardonnays go through any muted phase as they age?
Not the same way the Pinot Noir does. Also, as much as I like them with some bottle age, I also really enjoy them in the early window.

2017 Ribbon Ridge and the two 2017 vineyard designates are what I would be drinking now.
Or probably the 2014 Richard’s.

I do think there is a spot around year three that the fruit fills in quite a bit, at times too much for me, but I can’t call it a dumb phase. But then as the wines continue to age, the backbone re emerges.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

S teve R edenbaugh
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 256
Joined: April 23rd, 2018, 12:28 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#483 Post by S teve R edenbaugh » April 25th, 2020, 1:47 pm

Marcus...popped one of the two 2017 Clover Pinot Gris we purchased...one of the most amazing QPR bargains I've seen. You don't happen to have any more, do you?

User avatar
Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1763
Joined: April 21st, 2015, 6:05 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#484 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » April 25th, 2020, 1:55 pm

Might need to dig into a 2018 Fir Crest or Lewman Vineyard PN for the sake of science this weekend. Will report back.

Glad I just got my notification that my cellar defenders are en route to be delivered by 5/1 :D
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

Andrew M
Posts: 206
Joined: July 4th, 2019, 8:14 pm

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#485 Post by Andrew M » April 25th, 2020, 2:23 pm

Thought I'd report back on day 3 of the 2018 Richard's Cuvee since nobody else seems to be able to make it that far. Still very fresh, lively, fruit receded a little into the background, showing a little more steely than on day 1, also a really nice faint hint of caramel on the finish. Excellent. I'd be curious to know when Marcus thinks these will deliver maximum drinking pleasure, but based on this experience I think 10 years would be selling it short.
M @ k $ ! m ø v ! ç

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 1979
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#486 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » April 25th, 2020, 3:55 pm

S teve R edenbaugh wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 1:47 pm
Marcus...popped one of the two 2017 Clover Pinot Gris we purchased...one of the most amazing QPR bargains I've seen. You don't happen to have any more, do you?
We have 7-8 cases of the 2017 Clover Pinot Gris. It’s a pretty lovely wine that is definitely shackled by the standard pricing of the commodity Pinot Gris producers. We handle it a little differently. The 2017 is from two 820L Acacia puncheons, left on the gross lees for 19 months. The fruit is all Whistling Ridge, quick draining sedimentary soils that, combined with the breeze that comes through the vineyard every afternoon, impart an intensity of flavor and core of acidity to the fruit.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

S teve R edenbaugh
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 256
Joined: April 23rd, 2018, 12:28 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#487 Post by S teve R edenbaugh » April 25th, 2020, 4:09 pm

Thanks Marcus...I'll give you call on Monday...think I need another six.

User avatar
Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 964
Joined: July 10th, 2016, 9:30 pm
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#488 Post by Sean_S » April 25th, 2020, 4:34 pm

Just posted a note on the 18 WR Berserker Chardonnay

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=169552
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates
1994 Ravenswood Petite Sirah Sonoma County
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 1979
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#489 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » April 25th, 2020, 5:06 pm

Andrew M wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 2:23 pm
Thought I'd report back on day 3 of the 2018 Richard's Cuvee since nobody else seems to be able to make it that far. Still very fresh, lively, fruit receded a little into the background, showing a little more steely than on day 1, also a really nice faint hint of caramel on the finish. Excellent. I'd be curious to know when Marcus thinks these will deliver maximum drinking pleasure, but based on this experience I think 10 years would be selling it short.
That’s a heck of a question Andrew. A lot of it is subjective, but the early vintages are really showing well from 7-10 years. Possibly longer but my first serious Chardonnay vintage was 2010.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 1979
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#490 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » April 25th, 2020, 5:35 pm

S teve R edenbaugh wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 4:09 pm
Thanks Marcus...I'll give you call on Monday...think I need another six.
Perfect!
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

User avatar
Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1763
Joined: April 21st, 2015, 6:05 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#491 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » April 26th, 2020, 3:27 pm

  • 2018 Goodfellow Family Cellars Pinot Noir Lewman Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (4/26/2020)
    Pop n' pour into a Grassl Cru glass.

    Dark cherry, raspberry, and a touch of black fruits enveloped by a fragrant bouquet of rose petals, cherry blossoms, kitchen cupboard spices, and sous bois. This wine is masculine on the palate, a nice comparison and complement to the light and elegant Whistling Ridge pinot noirs I've recently had from Marcus. Despite the presence of body and refined tannic structure, however, the wine still feels light on the palate.

    On the palate, the flavors of dark cherry and red currant waltz with organic soil tones down the tongue towards the back of the throat, carrying with them a vibrant acidity. The finish is long, and shows a nice progression of red to black fruit notes (blackberry, black currant), baking spices, and saddle leather.

    To my knowledge this is Marcus' first vintage working with Lewman Vineyard. I believe it has the right balance of fruit (slightly riper than 2017), tannic structure, and acidity to age gracefully in the cellar. Will plan to open my next bottle after 10-12 years. (94 pts.)
    Image
Posted from CellarTracker

Assuming anything is left later, I'll post notes on how it evolves today and tomorrow. This was over the course of a couple hours.
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

User avatar
Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2054
Joined: June 26th, 2017, 7:46 pm
Location: South Carolina

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#492 Post by Mattstolz » April 26th, 2020, 5:20 pm

gonna cross post this with BersekerDay wines, but working on the 2017 Berserker Cuvee in celebration of the 2018s shipping!

This is a delicious wine. One of the CT notes mentions it is very Gevrey and I agree with that. its bright red ripe fruits, spice, vibrant, and floral. This is night two on this bottle and I personally think it improved with the extra open time, which is exactly what I expected given the early notes about tightness, but the tannins aren't rough or big its just a wine that can and should go the distance. I hope I can keep my hands off the others to let them evolve!

User avatar
Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1763
Joined: April 21st, 2015, 6:05 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#493 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » April 26th, 2020, 5:50 pm

Next BD I need to get me some Berserker Cuvée.

What’s the breakdown for fruit sourcing in this wine?
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

jon leifer
Posts: 542
Joined: May 11th, 2010, 9:14 pm

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#494 Post by jon leifer » April 26th, 2020, 6:23 pm

2017 Berserker Cuvee Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley...pleasantly floral nose, crisp acidity , notes of spice, cranberry,tart cherry make for a delightful mouthfeel.., blend of fruit from Whistling Ridge, Durant and Temperance Hill vyds..well structured wine, 85% whole cluster, no rush if ya got,em built to age but eminently drinkable right now..Drank this gem while face timing last night with our daughters and SIL, celebrating my wife's birthday(4/23) and our anniversary (4/28, #36)..also enjoyed a touch of bubbly as well.
Jon

User avatar
Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2054
Joined: June 26th, 2017, 7:46 pm
Location: South Carolina

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#495 Post by Mattstolz » April 26th, 2020, 7:14 pm

Whistling ridge (house acres), Durant (114 clone), and temperance hill (pumphouse block), one barrel each
Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
April 26th, 2020, 5:50 pm
Next BD I need to get me some Berserker Cuvée.

What’s the breakdown for fruit sourcing in this wine?

User avatar
Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1763
Joined: April 21st, 2015, 6:05 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#496 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » April 26th, 2020, 7:16 pm

Thanks!
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 1979
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#497 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » April 26th, 2020, 10:23 pm

Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
April 26th, 2020, 5:50 pm
Next BD I need to get me some Berserker Cuvée.

What’s the breakdown for fruit sourcing in this wine?
What Matt said!
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

User avatar
A G Aguirre
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 116
Joined: December 18th, 2019, 7:15 pm

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#498 Post by A G Aguirre » April 27th, 2020, 6:29 pm

First Goodfellow wine a few days ago: 2015 Whistling Ridge Pinot from a 375ml. What a great wine. I often find Oregon Pinot somewhat one dimensional. This surprised me with its complex blend of woodsy, red fruit aromas and bold yet refreshing structure. Not thin and not a bruiser. Enjoyed with some pesto ravioli and sautéed spigarello that was a tad strong for the Chablis we had opened. Excited to try more.
@rturo

User avatar
Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1763
Joined: April 21st, 2015, 6:05 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#499 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » May 2nd, 2020, 6:33 pm

2015 Goodfellow Family Cellars Chardonnay Richard's Cuvee Whistling Ridge Vineyard

Consumed from a GGG glass over the evening. The nose is slightly reductive, but not yielding much of the flint/matchstick note I’ve appreciated in other Goodfellow chardonnays in their youth. There are complex, ever changing aromas of lemon/lime, bruised Granny Smith apple, melon, passion fruit, orange blossom, vanilla cream, and touch of almond skin.

The wine is full body and concentrated on the palate but carries the tension and restraint I love in Marcus’ wines. Flavors of citrus and bruised apple notes dance on the tongue, occasionally letting chalky minerality through, and there is an enjoyable lingering saline finish. The acidity is a little high right out of the gate, but I don’t mind, and it mellows as the wine sits in the glass over time.

This wine is absolutely gorgeous, and I can see why many WBers go nuts over the Richard’s Cuvée. Given the 2015 vintage, Marcus did a great job of keeping the ripeness and richness in check. Delicious juice.
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

User avatar
Dennis Atick
Posts: 8129
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:48 pm
Location: East Atlanta

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#500 Post by Dennis Atick » May 2nd, 2020, 6:43 pm

Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
May 2nd, 2020, 6:33 pm
2015 Goodfellow Family Cellars Chardonnay Richard's Cuvee Whistling Ridge Vineyard

Consumed from a GGG glass over the evening. The nose is slightly reductive, but not yielding much of the flint/matchstick note I’ve appreciated in other Goodfellow chardonnays in their youth. There are complex, ever changing aromas of lemon/lime, bruised Granny Smith apple, melon, passion fruit, orange blossom, vanilla cream, and touch of almond skin.

The wine is full body and concentrated on the palate but carries the tension and restraint I love in Marcus’ wines. Flavors of citrus and bruised apple notes dance on the tongue, occasionally letting chalky minerality through, and there is an enjoyable lingering saline finish. The acidity is a little high right out of the gate, but I don’t mind, and it mellows as the wine sits in the glass over time.

This wine is absolutely gorgeous, and I can see why many WBers go nuts over the Richard’s Cuvée. Given the 2015 vintage, Marcus did a great job of keeping the ripeness and richness in check. Delicious juice.
Damn, that sounds great. Thanks for the note!
@decaturwinedude

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”