What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Joe Chanley
Contributor
Contributor

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#351 Post by Joe Chanley » October 6th, 2019, 6:35 am

Had a 16 Richards cuvée last night courtesy of my bro in law. Drank alongside a 17 morgen Long Loubejac. Goodfellow was the preferred bottle by all but both quite nice.

Philip G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#352 Post by Philip G » October 6th, 2019, 8:46 am

Got my Berserker Day Cuvees. Any tasting note or drinking window recommendations?
Chip G@@d

S t e p h e nK
GCC Member
GCC Member

#353 Post by S t e p h e nK » October 6th, 2019, 4:35 pm

Philip G wrote:
October 6th, 2019, 8:46 am
Got my Berserker Day Cuvees. Any tasting note or drinking window recommendations?
It’s fantastic! Young of course and made for the long haul. Lots of energy and acidity Front and mid palate is so juicy. Whole cluster adds spice. Day 2,3 and 4 the finish lengthened and was softer. No noticeable alcohol. From memory about two weeks ago. Recommend opening one and follow its drinking window. I would think primary characteristics go 7-10.
Stephen Krug

jon leifer

#354 Post by jon leifer » October 6th, 2019, 7:46 pm

My bottles of the Berserker Cuvee arrived recently and are slumbering in the cellar..I did taste the wine with Meagan at the winery in June..I thought the wine was delicious, quite vibrant..Wd let your bottles settle down a bit to avoid any travel shock then pop and pour
Jon

John Simpson
BerserkerDay All-Pro
BerserkerDay All-Pro

#355 Post by John Simpson » October 7th, 2019, 1:50 pm

Why wait: I only gave my shipment a few days to rest before temptation got the better of me; nevertheless, it was excellent...

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#356 Post by Jason T » October 7th, 2019, 2:19 pm

Yeah these will benefit from some age but there’s no reason to wait.
J@son Tr@ughber

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#357 Post by Sean_S » October 9th, 2019, 12:06 pm

• 2016 Goodfellow Family Cellars Pinot Gris Reserve - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (10/9/2019)
    Crystal clear, med pale yellow in the glass. The nose leads with a yeasty/leesy note that reminds me of Champagne. Followed by citrus and minerality. The palate leads with some soft citrus, lemon zest and even some hints of apple. The acid braces this wine throughout but is not dominant. Minerality drives the medium finish. There is this nice rich mouthfeel but no overly rich. Its unclear how much malolactic fermentation this wine sees but there is defintely some. What I don't get on this is some green grass on the nose or the palate that I often get on Pinot Gris. Tasted with a group of other wino's at crush yesterday. Wine was well reveived by all and no one except one winemaker guess Pinot Gris. Overall, a very elegant and sublime wine. I love the acid but its not as chiseled as some of the Chardonnay and other Pinot Gris I have tasted. Another great QPR wine from Goodfellow for ~$20. I have never been a big fan of Pinot Gris but this bottle has me planning on buying more of this during the next offering.
Posted from CellarTracker
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates
1994 Ravenswood Petite Sirah Sonoma County
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard

joeduncan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#358 Post by joeduncan » October 11th, 2019, 2:24 pm

Anyone commit infanticide on a 2017 Whistling Ridge or Durant Pinot Noir yet? :)

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#359 Post by Jason T » October 11th, 2019, 3:41 pm

Sean_S wrote:
October 9th, 2019, 12:06 pm
  • 2016 Goodfellow Family Cellars Pinot Gris Reserve - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (10/9/2019)
    Crystal clear, med pale yellow in the glass. The nose leads with a yeasty/leesy note that reminds me of Champagne. Followed by citrus and minerality. The palate leads with some soft citrus, lemon zest and even some hints of apple. The acid braces this wine throughout but is not dominant. Minerality drives the medium finish. There is this nice rich mouthfeel but no overly rich. Its unclear how much malolactic fermentation this wine sees but there is defintely some. What I don't get on this is some green grass on the nose or the palate that I often get on Pinot Gris. Tasted with a group of other wino's at crush yesterday. Wine was well reveived by all and no one except one winemaker guess Pinot Gris. Overall, a very elegant and sublime wine. I love the acid but its not as chiseled as some of the Chardonnay and other Pinot Gris I have tasted. Another great QPR wine from Goodfellow for ~$20. I have never been a big fan of Pinot Gris but this bottle has me planning on buying more of this during the next offering.
Sean, great note. I too am not a huge fan of Pinot Gris, and the examples I’ve had, even from wineries I normally love, haven’t done much for me. Will have to seek this out.
J@son Tr@ughber

Rory K.

#360 Post by Rory K. » October 11th, 2019, 9:55 pm

joeduncan wrote:
October 11th, 2019, 2:24 pm
Anyone commit infanticide on a 2017 Whistling Ridge or Durant Pinot Noir yet? :)
Yep, opened a '17 WR, very delicate red berry fruit, wild strawberry, touch of thyme, medium to light weight and overall very easy to drink, not nearly as complex as the '15 I had two months ago. More medicinal and mineral notes emerged on day 2. My guess is this will be a lighter vintage than the past two, lower ABV I think as well. Tasty right now, but you'll want to wait a few years min for any complexity.
K i n n e a r

ITB

Doug Uno

#361 Post by Doug Uno » October 12th, 2019, 8:38 am

I had a chance to try the Durant about a month ago at a release dinner of Marcus’s 2017’s. Out of all the bottles, it was my favorite “that night” and the most open for business. The Durant is an elegant red fruited wine with a spicy/savory element, good acidity, and a long finish. I will probably wait 5 years to open another bottle. Generally, I think Marcus’s wine show better with 5-10 years of bottle age. YMMV.

I had a similar experience with the 2015 Durant showing well young, but resting my remaining bottles.

joeduncan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#362 Post by joeduncan » October 12th, 2019, 8:45 am

Doug Uno wrote:
October 12th, 2019, 8:38 am
I had a chance to try the Durant about a month ago at a release dinner of Marcus’s 2017’s. Out of all the bottles, it was my favorite “that night” and the most open for business. The Durant is an elegant red fruited wine with a spicy/savory element, good acidity, and a long finish. I will probably wait 5 years to open another bottle. Generally, I think Marcus’s wine show better with 5-10 years of bottle age. YMMV.

I had a similar experience with the 2015 Durant showing well young, but resting my remaining bottles.
Thanks. I'll probably try one if the Durants young and save the others. Maybe the same with WR too, but that sounds a little less compelling now.

I thought Durant chard was fantastic now (17) and driving better than WR Chard, but will also benefit from time in the bottle.

rfelthoven

#363 Post by rfelthoven » October 12th, 2019, 12:36 pm

2009 Matello Whistling Ridge vineyard pinot noir. Showing some bricking; a bit closed upon opening but after 20 minutes this really blossomed. Gorgeous red fruited aromatics with some baking spices and a subtle smoky note. In the mouth a tad sweeter on the tip of the tongue than this wine in other years, but plenty of mouth watering acidity to balance things out. In some years this wine is almost exclusively savory, but this wine is a bit juicier. Edges have been sanded off and I think it’s in a great window after brief decant.
Ron

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#364 Post by Sean_S » October 16th, 2019, 10:54 pm

Hi All,

Anyone up there in Oregon barrel sampled the 2017 WV Pinot Noir? Usual suspects are starting to show it in stock and got a promo today from Sec. Marcus, would you share tasting impressions on this latest release. Sec's note below could applied to many of Marcus' Pinots and leaves me wondering what this vintage is like relative to the 15 and 16. or even the 17 Berserker Cuvee.

2017 Goodfellow, Willamette Valley Pinot Noir $19.89 / $226.80($18.90)

"Comprised of great vineyards from throughout the Willamette Valley, this is one of the best vintages yet of Goodfellow's "Willamette Valley" Pinot Noir. Pretty aromatics segue to a silky, medium-bodied palate with bright fruit and hint of earth. Ready for your Thanksgiving spread.
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates

jon leifer

#365 Post by jon leifer » October 23rd, 2019, 7:44 pm

Brandon R wrote: ↑Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:45 pm
I have to say (first time posting on this thread) that a very delicious sounding review just landed for the 2017 Biggio Hamina Rose Pinot Noir Ella Claygate Vineyard! Sounds positively tasty:

"Deep bright-hued orange. Potent red berry, blood orange, rose pastille and exotic spice qualities on the deeply perfumed nose. Chewy and focused on the palate, offering bitter cherry, red currant and strawberry preserve flavors that tighten up steadily on the back half. Shows outstanding clarity and floral-dominated persistence on the chewy finish, which is underscored by a spicy touch of white pepper. This is a distinctly hefty take on pink Pinot Noir, but there's plenty of energy to it as well, making it a highly flexible choice at the table." 92 points (Josh Raynolds, Vinous Media)

Opened my first bottle of this nectar tonight..What a lovely mouthful of wine..Went very well with grilled chicken tonight..Not gonna even try to embelish on Josh's tasting notes..well beyond my humble skills..I just drink and enjoy the stuff..Well done, Todd
Jon

Scott Tallman

#366 Post by Scott Tallman » October 23rd, 2019, 7:57 pm

jon leifer wrote:
October 23rd, 2019, 7:44 pm
Brandon R wrote: ↑Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:45 pm
I have to say (first time posting on this thread) that a very delicious sounding review just landed for the 2017 Biggio Hamina Rose Pinot Noir Ella Claygate Vineyard! Sounds positively tasty:

"Deep bright-hued orange. Potent red berry, blood orange, rose pastille and exotic spice qualities on the deeply perfumed nose. Chewy and focused on the palate, offering bitter cherry, red currant and strawberry preserve flavors that tighten up steadily on the back half. Shows outstanding clarity and floral-dominated persistence on the chewy finish, which is underscored by a spicy touch of white pepper. This is a distinctly hefty take on pink Pinot Noir, but there's plenty of energy to it as well, making it a highly flexible choice at the table." 92 points (Josh Raynolds, Vinous Media)

Opened my first bottle of this nectar tonight..What a lovely mouthful of wine..Went very well with grilled chicken tonight..Not gonna even try to embelish on Josh's tasting notes..well beyond my humble skills..I just drink and enjoy the stuff..Well done, Todd
Sorry to be a pedant, but as requested upthread, why don’t you or Brandon start a Biggio-Hamina thread? Todd is great, he makes rad wines, and I’m sure plenty of folks will add notes. Thanks!
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#367 Post by Bob Hughes » November 1st, 2019, 8:16 am

I had my first chance last night to try the 2017 Richard's Cuvee and Durant Chardonnays. That reductive matchstick note is more pronounced on the Durant - it's barely noticeable on the Richard's. I have been ordering and drinking these two wines since the 2014 vintage, and for the first time I think the Durant will be capable of giving the Richard's Cuvee a run for it's money.

I liked both wines quite a bit - if you bought these, I think we'll be in for a real treat over the next decade or so as we watch them evolve [cheers.gif] . I am still of the belief, however, that the 2016 Richard's Cuvee was the vintage that was the most delicious/welcoming right out of the gate of the five vintages of this particular wine that I've tried. I'm going to have to dig one up soon and try it side-by-side with the 2017 version soon, as the 2017's strike me as a vintage that might start to shut down in the near future.

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#368 Post by Sean_S » November 1st, 2019, 8:25 am

Bob Hughes wrote:
November 1st, 2019, 8:16 am
I had my first chance last night to try the 2017 Richard's Cuvee and Durant Chardonnays. That reductive matchstick note is more pronounced on the Durant - it's barely noticeable on the Richard's. I have been ordering and drinking these two wines since the 2014 vintage, and for the first time I think the Durant will be capable of giving the Richard's Cuvee a run for it's money.

I liked both wines quite a bit - if you bought these, I think we'll be in for a real treat over the next decade or so as we watch them evolve [cheers.gif] . I am still of the belief, however, that the 2016 Richard's Cuvee was the vintage that was the most delicious/welcoming right out of the gate of the five vintages of this particular wine that I've tried. I'm going to have to dig one up soon and try it side-by-side with the 2017 version soon, as the 2017's strike me as a vintage that might start to shut down in the near future.
Exciting to hear Bob. For my palate the `15 richards has been my favorite so far. Love the reduction on it.

My shipment arrived yesterday and I popped a '17 Whistling Ridge Chardonnay last night and if this juice didn't make the cut then wow. I Can't wait to taste the Richards this vintage.

Marcus has gone to putting a silvery wax cap on the richards instead of the capsule. (Not a fan of wax, pain to remove, lets see on this one)

Sean
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#369 Post by Todd F r e n c h » November 1st, 2019, 8:35 am

Sad I didn't pick up any Berserker Cuvees - maybe another offer this next BerserkerDay?? :)
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

S t e p h e nK
GCC Member
GCC Member

#370 Post by S t e p h e nK » November 1st, 2019, 10:43 am

Marcus has gone to putting a silvery wax cap on the richards instead of the capsule. (Not a fan of wax, pain to remove, lets see on this one)

Sean
[/quote]

No need to mess with taking off the wax. You can put the corkscrew through the wax. Pulling the cork will break the wax.
Stephen Krug

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#371 Post by MitchTallan » November 1st, 2019, 12:23 pm

My shipment arrived yesterday and I popped a '17 Whistling Ridge Chardonnay last night and if this juice didn't make the cut then wow. I Can't wait to taste the Richards this vintage.
When I tasted there in September, I was so bowled over by the '17 WR chard that even though I had a case of mixed Goodfellow's coming to me, I ordered a case of just it.
It is a demure but multifaceted chard and I can't wait to see how it does with 4-6 years on it. Like the '17 WR pinots, it sneaks up on you.

kmcleroy

#372 Post by kmcleroy » November 1st, 2019, 2:38 pm

Just purchased and received a case of 2016/2017 Goodfellow Chardonnays, including the Durant, Richard's Cuvee and Whistling Ridge. Based on a number of comments about his Willamette Valley Chardonnay, I just ordered and received a half case of his 2017 Willamette Valley and tried a bottle on Monday night with baked rosemary crusted chicken. I was so impressed with his Willamette Valley Chardonnay that I am trying to buy more and I can't wait to try his other Chardonnays. He is knocking it out of the park with his whites, and I look forward to also trying a number of his 2016 and 2017 Pinot Noirs. Great job and a very nice person to deal with.
k e n

Stephen Chen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#373 Post by Stephen Chen » November 1st, 2019, 4:38 pm

Popped a bottle of the 2017 Clover Pinot Gris after it arrived in the mail from a recent trip to the Willamette valley. On the first night it was clearly voluptuous--viscous and oily mouth feel and tropical fruit notes I couldn't quite disentangle that were nonetheless enjoyable. Then, on the second night, wow: rich, nutty and saline with a mandarin orange zing and a long finish. Extraordinary QPR. Thanks, Marcus!

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#374 Post by Sean_S » November 2nd, 2019, 10:47 pm

kmcleroy wrote:
November 1st, 2019, 2:38 pm
Just purchased and received a case of 2016/2017 Goodfellow Chardonnays, including the Durant, Richard's Cuvee and Whistling Ridge. Based on a number of comments about his Willamette Valley Chardonnay, I just ordered and received a half case of his 2017 Willamette Valley and tried a bottle on Monday night with baked rosemary crusted chicken. I was so impressed with his Willamette Valley Chardonnay that I am trying to buy more and I can't wait to try his other Chardonnays. He is knocking it out of the park with his whites, and I look forward to also trying a number of his 2016 and 2017 Pinot Noirs. Great job and a very nice person to deal with.
The WV Chardonnay is a great QPR wine and automatic case buy for me. Since Wednesday I have had the WR Chardonnay and 2 of the Ribbon Ridge chardonnays. The RR is cut from the same cloth as the Richards and WR, and its my new favorite for QPR choice. Hard to beat for the price. Need to pop one of the 17 Rieslings next.

Sean
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates

Al Osterheld

#375 Post by Al Osterheld » November 3rd, 2019, 8:25 am

I had a chance to taste the 2017 Ribbon Ridge Chardonnay because Sean brought one as a mystery wine to the last big Harrington bottling day, yesterday. Agree that it's a lovely wine and great value.

-Al

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#376 Post by Sean_S » November 5th, 2019, 10:47 pm

• 2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Chardonnay Ribbon Ridge Cuvée - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (11/5/2019)
    Nothing like the 2016 or the "kinder and gentler" 2017 Dundee Hills Chardonnay. This is what I want in my Goodfellow Chardonnay!

My new QPR Benchmark. It's similar to the rest of the whistling ridge gang in flavor profile. This wine is clear step up from the already awesome Willamette Valley Chardonnay. It's all here, nice nose with hint of flint, great minerality and fruit. On the palate its good nice green apple and citrus with bracing acidity a nice finish. Its got a nice feel but the acidity keeps this wine always tasting light. Another subtle nuanced wine from Goodfellow. All whistling ridge for a song

Popega'd one from UPS and brought another bottling day at the weekend. Well received by all.
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#377 Post by Jason T » November 6th, 2019, 3:56 am

I had a 2016 Durant Pinot last weekend....good stuff. Took a day before it began to unwind and didn't really hit it's stride until days 3/4. I expected the tightness on day 1, but didn't expect it to still be going so strong on day 4 - just so aromatic.

Also popped a 2015 Durant Chard that same weekend. It was good out of the gate, but much more 'Cali' like - quite ripe and the oak was really up-front. Not a lot of fruit, but there was surprising acid present given the vintage. By day 2, the fruit and a great mineral streak really stepped to the front, and then more or less stayed that way for 2 more days. My sense is this is a 'big' wine by Goodfellow standards but by no means did I find it 'overblown', or anywhere close ot it really.
J@son Tr@ughber

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#378 Post by Sean_S » November 12th, 2019, 11:08 pm

Scott Tallman wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 8:48 am
2018 Whistling Ridge Riesling - this bottle was outstanding - lime, slate, with just a touch of sweetness presumably from the fruit not RS, with a long, dry finish. My friend and I opened the bottle after dinner thinking we’d have a glass or two, and we’re shocked to see we drank the whole bottle while shooting the breeze. So glad Marcus resumed making varietal Riesling bottle!
Mine just showed up last week. Missed the spring window on shipping. Just like you said. reminds me slightly more chiseled angular version of the field blend. Yum! Has that crack quality to it but more serious and less playful. Not a hint of Petrol. So far the 2017 Goodfellows are on point. My preference for WR versus Durant is growing. The acid on the WR's is so seductive to me.

Sean
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

#379 Post by Richard T r i m p i » November 13th, 2019, 8:53 am

Sean_S wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 11:08 pm
So far the 2017 Goodfellows are on point. My preference for WR versus Durant is growing. The acid on the WR's is so seductive to me.

RT

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#380 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » November 13th, 2019, 10:56 am

Jason T wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 3:56 am
I had a 2016 Durant Pinot last weekend....good stuff. Took a day before it began to unwind and didn't really hit it's stride until days 3/4. I expected the tightness on day 1, but didn't expect it to still be going so strong on day 4 - just so aromatic.

Also popped a 2015 Durant Chard that same weekend. It was good out of the gate, but much more 'Cali' like - quite ripe and the oak was really up-front. Not a lot of fruit, but there was surprising acid present given the vintage. By day 2, the fruit and a great mineral streak really stepped to the front, and then more or less stayed that way for 2 more days. My sense is this is a 'big' wine by Goodfellow standards but by no means did I find it 'overblown', or anywhere close ot it really.
You are right on the money about that being a big wine by our standards. 2015 is a remarkable vintage for the heat and we got the Chardonnay fruit in before it went over the top, but it’s a “robust” vintage.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#381 Post by Charlie Carnes » November 16th, 2019, 4:49 am

2014 Richard's Chardonnay: This was exceedingly delicious. I drank this cold, and at room, and it wonderful both ways. It started off with pear bitters, and zesty lemon citrus. It was bright, and as it warmed, it nearly leapt from the glass. There was a glistening mineral perception that braced the lemon/pear fruit. I liked this a bunch! 11/5/2019 (94)
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

jon leifer

#382 Post by jon leifer » November 16th, 2019, 3:06 pm

2016 Whistling Ridge Blanc. don't sweat the details, just enjoy, enjoy,enjoy
Jon

Travis Fantz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#383 Post by Travis Fantz » November 16th, 2019, 9:52 pm

Marcus just had your 2017 Chardonnay at Paleys’s. Too cold to start, but it is really good over with starters. I planned on having on of your 2005s, but could not reach it at home and It ended up with the Cameron CE. I will have to move somethings and get to some of your older wines for the holidays.
HS Math Teacher (old ITB)

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#384 Post by Richard T r i m p i » November 18th, 2019, 9:32 am

Opened and enjoyed the 2016 Durant Pinot Noir and a 2016 Durant Chardonnay at a dinner on Saturday.

The Durant pinot was quite tasty, open and accessible. My concern for any ripeness disappeared as bigger richer Non-PNs were floating around the table. Nice counter-balance. Really dig the red-fruited aspects...which can all too quickly disappear in warm vintages.

The real competition was between the Chardonnay served along side a 2008 Bonneau du Martray Corton-Charlemagne. The Goodfellow was lively, precocious and well balanced. Extroverted in comparison to the C-C. Lots of honey with bright citrus, apple, ripe pear, minerals and the merest suggestion of tropical fruit. Lots of presence, body and persistence. The Corton-Charlemagne was sound and tight as a drum. The pedigree and subtle elegant potential were on display while it was just plain cranky about being woken up 10 - 15 years too early. Ballsy to put this Oregonian up against a Burg GC, but for near term drinking...it more than held its own.

RT

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#385 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » November 22nd, 2019, 5:11 am

Richard T r i m p i wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 9:32 am
Opened and enjoyed the 2016 Durant Pinot Noir and a 2016 Durant Chardonnay at a dinner on Saturday.

The Durant pinot was quite tasty, open and accessible. My concern for any ripeness disappeared as bigger richer Non-PNs were floating around the table. Nice counter-balance. Really dig the red-fruited aspects...which can all too quickly disappear in warm vintages.

The real competition was between the Chardonnay served along side a 2008 Bonneau du Martray Corton-Charlemagne. The Goodfellow was lively, precocious and well balanced. Extroverted in comparison to the C-C. Lots of honey with bright citrus, apple, ripe pear, minerals and the merest suggestion of tropical fruit. Lots of presence, body and persistence. The Corton-Charlemagne was sound and tight as a drum. The pedigree and subtle elegant potential were on display while it was just plain cranky about being woken up 10 - 15 years too early. Ballsy to put this Oregonian up against a Burg GC, but for near term drinking...it more than held its own.

RT
I had the 2016 Durant Chardonnay last night (put it up against a 2016 Ramey Westside Farms Chardonnay), and it was delicious. Lively is a great word, as the freshness struck me first. I didn't get to follow it as much as I wanted to, as my dad loved it, and kept pouring more. I guess that's the best sort of review. The Goodfellow was the brighter of the two wines. The Ramey was richer.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#386 Post by MitchTallan » November 22nd, 2019, 6:27 am

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 5:11 am

RT
I had the 2016 Durant Chardonnay last night (put it up against a 2016 Ramey Westside Farms Chardonnay), and it was delicious. Lively is a great word, as the freshness struck me first. I didn't get to follow it as much as I wanted to, as my dad loved it, and kept pouring more. I guess that's the best sort of review. The Goodfellow was the brighter of the two wines. The Ramey was richer.
I would be interested to see what you think of the ‘17s. If you liked the ‘16 Durant for it’s liveliness.....

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#387 Post by Richard T r i m p i » November 22nd, 2019, 6:47 am

MitchTallan wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 6:27 am
I would be interested to see what you think of the ‘17s. If you liked the ‘16 Durant for it’s liveliness.....
So young at this point, but might just need to sacrifice one. Actually, maybe pair it against the 2017 Paul Pernot Puligny Villages that I've been recently enjoying.

That's a blind challenge that would surely baffle many a self-assured wine critic.

RT

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#388 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » November 23rd, 2019, 7:44 pm

RT
Interesting comparison on the Chardonnays Rich. Each, IMO, are excellent representatives of their area but also divergent from each other in age, personality, and vintage. Drinking them together seems a bit like watching a conversation between Bill Gates and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

2016 is youthful. It’s also a vintage in Oregon that I feel is extremely charming, much more like 1999 or 2006 in Burgundy than 2008(understanding that many may not find A O-C’s politics charming, she herself is a likable and very live brain-IMO)

Additionally Corton-Charlemagne is one of the most restrained GC sites(IMO), while Durant is probably my more supple and forward of the Chardonnays.
It would be fun to reconvene that conversation in another 6-7 years...
Winemaker & Owner

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#389 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » November 23rd, 2019, 7:49 pm

November 22nd, 2019, 6:47 am
MitchTallan wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 6:27 am
So young at this point, but might just need to sacrifice one. Actually, maybe pair it against the 2017 Paul Pernot Puligny Villages that I've been recently enjoying.

That's a blind challenge that would surely baffle many a self-assured wine critic.

RT
You should definitely do that with the 17 Richard’s. Over 2-3 days, as the Richard’s will definitely show you a few faces, and Pernot Puligny would be a great dance partner.
Winemaker & Owner

Doug Uno

#390 Post by Doug Uno » November 25th, 2019, 5:29 am

I went to the fall open house today and got to taste through a lineup of 13 wines that included the 2009 Souris and the 2006 Hommage.

Across-the-board, the quality was excellent and what you would expect from Marcus’ wines. My highlights were the 2017 Ribbon Ridge Chardonnay, the 2015 Richard’s Cuvee Chardonnay, the 2015 Heritage #4 Whistling Ridge Pinot Noir, and 2006 Hommage.

The 2015 Richard’s is a beautiful wine and the Heritage #4 is starting to show its potential, but needs 5+ years.

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#391 Post by Sean_S » November 25th, 2019, 9:39 am

Doug Uno wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 5:29 am
I went to the fall open house today and got to taste through a lineup of 13 wines that included the 2009 Souris and the 2006 Hommage.

Across-the-board, the quality was excellent and what you would expect from Marcus’ wines. My highlights were the 2017 Ribbon Ridge Chardonnay, the 2015 Richard’s Cuvee Chardonnay, the 2015 Heritage #4 Whistling Ridge Pinot Noir, and 2006 Hommage.

The 2015 Richard’s is a beautiful wine and the Heritage #4 is starting to show its potential, but needs 5+ years.
Jealous and thanks for the notes...
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#392 Post by Sean_S » January 9th, 2020, 10:19 pm

Lovely wine but to me the 2017 Ribbon Ridge bottling is even better wine and QPR.

Paired tonight with a 2018 Paetra Gewürztraminer. Also outstanding.

See my other notes on this wine here for context:
  • 2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Chardonnay Willamette Valley - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (1/9/2020)
    Consistent with other bottles. I think this will age nicely for 5+ years. Only downside I am seeing is the 2017 Ribbon Ridge is a nice step up for a few $ more. BTW: Since my first note I've also drank bottles of Whistling Ridge and Richards Cuvee. Both are outstanding.
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates

rfelthoven

#393 Post by rfelthoven » January 19th, 2020, 12:05 pm

2013 pinot noir, both Matello WV and Goodfellow WR vineyard. These wines have always been right in my stylistic wheelhouse, as they are highly red fruited and super high acid. With age these babies are coming into their own, and right now that Goodfellow WR vineyard may be one of my favorite wines from Marcus. It’s an entire level of complexity and finesse over the Matello bottling but if you have either, pop one and enjoy.
Ron

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#394 Post by Sean_S » January 19th, 2020, 8:08 pm

I found a 2013 WV Matello today when I was moving some stuff out of the basement. Sounds like its getting into the zone
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#395 Post by MitchTallan » January 21st, 2020, 7:18 am

I bought a case of the '16 Whistling Ridge Blanc at some point soon after release.
Last night I opened my third bottle to go with Puerto Rican style roast chicken. This bottle shined in a way that the others came close to doing, but not quite. I could be wrong, but this bottle seemed to have a slightly more golden color to it, less pale than the first two, but it tasted fresh and not oxidized in any way. This bottle was amazing. Beautiful flavors in perfect balance. No need for me to describe the flavors because Marcus' are spot on;

2016 Whistling Ridge Blanc - We gave this wine an extra year in bottle before releasing it earlier this spring. It's yet another in a string of beautiful wines, and is perhaps the most purely delicious wine we make. Smoke, yuzu, and stonefruits. Coiled and electric without being aggressive, this is juicy and refreshing. Perfect for a summer afternoon. 200 cases made, drink now to 2028. $22/ $18 wine club price

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#396 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » January 21st, 2020, 10:04 pm

Thanks for posting Mitch! And to everyone else as well.

Ron, if you have a 2013 Bishop Creek tucked away, the last bottle we tasted was singing. Still youthful, and tannins wanted 20-30 minutes to resolve. Aromatics really were starting to blossol though.

Sean, if you have the 2013 Matello WV, it’s ready to go. A bottle about 6 months ago was autumnal leaves and brush with soft fruit and resolved tannins. Bright in the back but integrated. Perfect blend of liveliness and maturity.
Winemaker & Owner

Doug Uno

#397 Post by Doug Uno » January 22nd, 2020, 9:29 pm

Marcus,

Great to hear that the Bishop Creek is drinking well! I’ll plan on opening a bottle soon. Have you tasted the Durant or Whistling Ridge recently?

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#398 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » January 23rd, 2020, 7:42 pm

Both, I agree with Ron on the Whistling Ridge. Durant was lovely but seemed a little tight still.
Winemaker & Owner

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#399 Post by Bob Hughes » February 2nd, 2020, 9:28 am

Cloudy, rainy Sunday afternoon here in the Delaware Valley, and I am sitting at the kitchen counter enjoying the 2017 Durant Chardonnay side-by-side with it's sibling from 2016. [cheers.gif]

I am on record as describing the 2016 Richard's as "pure Chardonnay deliciousness", and that in-your-face quality there is also present in the 2016 Durant. Some lemon curd on the palate, with good persistence - I know with Marcus' wines that folks are sometimes worried about drinking them too young, but if you have more than one bottle of the 2016 Durant in the cellar, you should give serious consideration to checking it out soon.

But as much as I am enjoying the 2016, the 2017 is at another level. This wine does have more of that reductive matchstick on the nose, so if you don't care for that, maybe this wine isn't for you. But the coiled intensity of this wine is something to behold - unlike my recommendation for an early look at the '16, if you were one of the folks who purchased a "Mitch Tallan" on BD, you owe it to yourself to take at least one of those three bottles and bury it in your cellar. This wine feels like a real long distance runner, and 2017 is the first vintage where the Durant (at least IMO) feels very capable of running step for step with the 2017 Richard's. [winner.gif]

Scott Tallman

#400 Post by Scott Tallman » February 2nd, 2020, 10:24 am

Bob Hughes wrote:
February 2nd, 2020, 9:28 am
Cloudy, rainy Sunday afternoon here in the Delaware Valley, and I am sitting at the kitchen counter enjoying the 2017 Durant Chardonnay side-by-side with it's sibling from 2016. [cheers.gif]

I am on record as describing the 2016 Richard's as "pure Chardonnay deliciousness", and that in-your-face quality there is also present in the 2016 Durant. Some lemon curd on the palate, with good persistence - I know with Marcus' wines that folks are sometimes worried about drinking them too young, but if you have more than one bottle of the 2016 Durant in the cellar, you should give serious consideration to checking it out soon.

But as much as I am enjoying the 2016, the 2017 is at another level. This wine does have more of that reductive matchstick on the nose, so if you don't care for that, maybe this wine isn't for you. But the coiled intensity of this wine is something to behold - unlike my recommendation for an early look at the '16, if you were one of the folks who purchased a "Mitch Tallan" on BD, you owe it to yourself to take at least one of those three bottles and bury it in your cellar. This wine feels like a real long distance runner, and 2017 is the first vintage where the Durant (at least IMO) feels very capable of running step for step with the 2017 Richard's. [winner.gif]
Bob,

I always appreciate your frequent notes on Marcus’ Chards. Despite usually buying 2 or more bottles of each every vintage, I usually try to wait 3-5 years post-vintage to open. Your notes test that resolve... [cheers.gif]
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

Return to “Wine Talk”