What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#301 Post by Bob Hughes » May 29th, 2019, 4:05 am

So after reading the description for the new Dundee Hills Chardonnay, what is the difference between it and the Durant bottling?

Rich, I haven't tried any of my '16 Pinots yet, so thanks for notes.

Marcus Goodfellow

#302 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » June 2nd, 2019, 6:19 pm

Bob Hughes wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 4:05 am
So after reading the description for the new Dundee Hills Chardonnay, what is the difference between it and the Durant bottling?

Rich, I haven't tried any of my '16 Pinots yet, so thanks for notes.
Hi Bob,

In 2017 during harvest Paul Durant offered me an additional block for Chardonnay. The blocks I use for the Durant bottling are at the foot of the hill just before it flattens out to valley floor. It’s a cooler spot as the hill shades it earlier and the inversion of cool air pooling at the bottom of the slope, and the single vineyard has a nice balance of smoke, orchard fruit, and good mineral cut.
The new block is mid slope, east facing, and gets the direct warmth of the morning sun, it’s a spot that ripens quickly, and the fruit from 2017 shows good balance but more golden tones, some tropical fruit, moderate acidity(comparatively), and a savory echo from good skin thickness in 2017. It, most definitely, is a “kinder, gentler Goodfellow” chardonnay. Although 2017 is such a dynamite vintage that even the mineral cut of the Whistling Ridge fruit is matched with some truly beautiful aromatics, and textural finesse.

Doug Uno

#303 Post by Doug Uno » June 6th, 2019, 10:07 pm

Helped Marcus bottle his 2017 Pinot Noirs yesterday including the Berserker cuvée . Not sure when these wines will be available for sale, but I’m excited about these wines. Being from a cooler vintage after a string of warmer years , these are wines that will be classic Oregon with Marcus’s stylistic touch. I’m planning on going along on the vintage.

While I was there, I picked up a bottle of the 2018 Riesling, bone dry from the Whistling Ridge vineyard 12.3% alc.

Day 1: an aromatic nose, with a hint of honey, smoke, and spice with the promise of fresh apples; on the palate, good acidity like biting into a fresh ripe green pippin apple; some fine tannins on the tongue and a refreshing splash of acid and spice on the finish. A well-balanced wine from start to finish that you could easily drink on a hot summer day.

Day 2: The fruit blossoms and intensifies while maintaining its balance and acidity. I think the wine great aging potential if you can resist drinking it now.
Attachments
4E11822B-6BB8-4E42-8AF1-6DA81F16800A.jpeg
Last edited by Doug Uno on June 8th, 2019, 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#304 Post by Sean_S » June 7th, 2019, 12:27 am

Marcus when can we get some?
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Summit Rd, Redwood Estates, CA

Scott Tallman

#305 Post by Scott Tallman » June 7th, 2019, 10:21 pm

Sean_S wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 12:27 am
Marcus when can we get some?
+1
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

Doug Uno

#306 Post by Doug Uno » June 10th, 2019, 7:30 pm

The 2010 Souris was worth the wait!

When I opened the wine, the aromatics were an intoxicating mix of red raspberries, black tea, spice, and a hint of smoke. The palate was a mixture of the red fruit and black tea that blossomed with some air. I associate the red fruit with the Durant Pommard, and I’m wondering if the black tea flavors could be attributed to the whole cluster. The finish was long and smooth with some fine tannins on the finish which tells me this could age. I’m glad I have several more bottles of this wine!

By the way, the Riesling is still fresh and going strong. On day four I picked up a hint of grapefruit and on day five a hint a pear.
Attachments
225EBC99-7006-4149-BA07-8D03F4AD9E0F.jpeg

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#307 Post by Sean_S » June 12th, 2019, 10:38 pm

Love the Souris.... Sad I only have a few left...
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Summit Rd, Redwood Estates, CA

Jon A-K

#308 Post by Jon A-K » June 13th, 2019, 10:20 pm

• 2016 Goodfellow Family Cellars Pinot Noir Whistling Ridge Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (6/12/2019)
    P&p; drinking well right away, and quite interesting, with an herbaceous, leafy, rooty, earthy, slightly spicy, amaro-like aromatic character. This comes through on the palate as well, along with understated, cool, crunchy, juicy, tart cherry, with excellent acidity, and an appetizing streak of bitterness. Fun, characterful, moreish wine. Seems like drink or hold. Could easily pound the bottle right now, but saving some for tomorrow to see how it changes.

Day 2: Somewhat smoother and fruitier, while hanging onto its fun amaro-like character. About equally good on both days, but glad I saved some because now I get to drink it again!
Posted from CellarTracker
Jѻn Adαm$-КαnƐ
CT: BƐƐrzebub

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#309 Post by Bob Hughes » June 14th, 2019, 8:18 am

For those who subscribe to Vinous, Josh Raynolds just reviewed all of Marcus' 2015 and 2016 SVD Pinots (including the Heritage selections) and all the wines were rated from 92 to 94 points - pretty impressive consistency across multiple vineyards, IMO. [cheers.gif]

Return to “Wine Talk”