What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Travis Fantz
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#251 Post by Travis Fantz » March 28th, 2019, 11:12 am

Marcus are you saying you are almost sold out of your unreleased Riesling ?

I’m in for a case of 500ml bottles :)
HS Math Teacher (old ITB)

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#252 Post by James Lyon » March 28th, 2019, 11:22 am

And don't forget the baseball bat magnums. After all, it's opening day...

James

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#253 Post by JDavisRoby » March 29th, 2019, 5:08 pm

Enjoying my first Goodfellow tonight. 2014 Ribbon Ridge AVA Pinot Noir. Gift from a friend. Just finished the first 2 oz tasting pour. Trying to decide if drink all tonight or leave some for tomorrow. :)
Joshu@

rfelthoven

#254 Post by rfelthoven » March 29th, 2019, 5:34 pm

Personally I like to watch wine evolve over an evening. Rarely do I enjoy a wine better on the second night compared to giving it a lot of time on one evening. YMMV.
Ron

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#255 Post by JDavisRoby » March 29th, 2019, 5:44 pm

Typically if wine is left over the next day at our house it’s because we opened more bottles than we could finish or we just didn’t like it.
Joshu@

Philip G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#256 Post by Philip G » March 30th, 2019, 6:27 am

Was planning on opening either an '08 Matello Souris or '12 Whistling Ridge Pinot this weekend for my first taste of GF/Matello, I picked them up from Marcus after learning of his wines on BD. However, killer head cold has me in sick bay all weekend so will have to wait another week :(
---------
Dr Good

Scott Tallman

#257 Post by Scott Tallman » April 3rd, 2019, 8:24 pm

Scott Tallman wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 7:32 pm
2014 Clover Pinot Gris - first glass started out much heavier and one dimensional than I remember prior vintages. My first thought was perhaps it was reflective of the vintage. But the second and subsequent glasses shook off the initial heaviness and showed a more (relatively) chiseled wine wine with nice acid. Pear dominate, medium bodied with medium finish. I should have known better, even a 4.5 year PG from Marcus is still young and needs some air! [snort.gif]

I never seek out PG, but always happy to drink this bottle, which is a great value.
2015 Clover Pinot Gris - more balanced wine from first sip than the 2014, although higher acid. This has years ahead of it.
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#258 Post by Sean_S » April 3rd, 2019, 8:31 pm

I'm another that doesn't seem to seek out PG but I checked CT, and somehow I've drunk all the Goodfellow and Vincent PG I have bought.
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Summit Rd, Redwood Estates, CA

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#259 Post by dsGriswold » April 3rd, 2019, 8:40 pm

• 2015 Matello Whistling Ridge Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (4/2/2019)
    Crystal clear with a lemon straw tinge, very light citrus on the nose. Lightly tart gooseberries and limestone mineral which was a bit heavy on night one, but well integrated on night two, medium fruit and body and drinking nicely, fresh and crisp. (92 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
The first wine in ages where I could not stop with a single glass and went for three. [wow.gif]
DennisG

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#260 Post by Sean_S » April 3rd, 2019, 9:46 pm

The crack is so hard to resist. It never lasts long around here. Polished off the all but 2 of 15's, all the 16's and my first four 17's and went back for another case of 17's. This is now an automatic case buy. This is one of those wines that has broad appeal to geeks and casual drinkers at the same time. Even a few "Red Wine Only" drinkers had no issue drinking it.

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#261 Post by Richard T r i m p i » April 12th, 2019, 3:29 pm

Wes Barton wrote:
March 23rd, 2019, 11:57 pm
The '17 Whistling Ridge Blanc that Sean ^^^ gave me. Lovely vibrant wine, wonderful aromatics, masterful blend.
(62% Riesling, 18% Pinot Noir, 14% Pinot Blanc, 6% Gewurztraminer.)
2016 Goodfellow Cellars Whistling Ridge Blanc
White pepper, gooseberry, celery seed, and a spiciness reminscent of gruner veltliner. Subtle floral/jasmine notes emerge as the wine warms. The attack is bright, agile and angular. The spice extends to the palate revealing quince and cherry pits. Persistent crisp midpalate and pleasing length. Listed 12% abv. A food-friendly white offering very fine value at $20.

RT

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#262 Post by dsGriswold » April 12th, 2019, 3:55 pm

2013 Goodfellow Family Cellars Pinot Noir Willamette Valley
I opened a bottle the other night and just sipped it away. My note from over two years ago said wait and be pleasantly rewarded. Four left to work on. I do not want to offend all the other producers that I buy from, but if only Marcus' wines were available I could live with that. [cheers.gif]
DennisG

Philip G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#263 Post by Philip G » April 12th, 2019, 7:27 pm

I pulled a Coravin glass of the 2008 Matello Pinot Noir Whistling Ridge Vineyard Ribbon Ridge this week. This was such a unique wine for me I could remember the whole tasting experience days later.
---------
Dr Good

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#264 Post by Richard T r i m p i » April 13th, 2019, 3:25 pm

2015 Goodfellow Cellars Deux Vert Syrah
“Cool climate” Syrah from a warm OR vintage. Shoe leather, tobacco and herbs with savory blackberry. Bright acidity featuring pomegranate and plums in the mouth. Massaging tannins. This is a structured accessible effort. No distracting wood or heat/ripeness. Closer to entry level Crozes-Hermitage than Cali Syrah. I’d prefer more minerality, secondary interest, heft and length..but for $20-ish, it delivers plenty.

RT

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#265 Post by dcornutt » April 13th, 2019, 4:45 pm

That Whistling Ridge 2016 #7 Heritage barrels is some kind of great pinot. I picked up only a couple but should have bought a bunch. Mr. Goodfellow is doing some very good things.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

Philip G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#266 Post by Philip G » April 14th, 2019, 7:40 am

dcornutt wrote:
April 13th, 2019, 4:45 pm
That Whistling Ridge 2016 #7 Heritage barrels is some kind of great pinot. I picked up only a couple but should have bought a bunch. Mr. Goodfellow is doing some very good things.
I tried this one as well this week as it has the earliest window of the 16's I received. My first tasting earlier in the week was a bit on the tart side for me so last night I put through the aerator multiple times and let sit for about 45 minutes. Very enjoyable and can imagine this will change/improve over time.
---------
Dr Good

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#267 Post by dsGriswold » April 14th, 2019, 11:43 am

The first Matello I bought was his WR white from Story Teller for my wife, she loved it so I kept asking Michael to get others, then I started buying from Vinopolis after they moved their store, now I buy mostly from Sec, I think they have me on speed dial. Chas. Stiltner gave me a bottle of Fools Journey Syrah at an off line a few years back when I was mostly drinking WA Rhones, saying it was the best OR Syrah he had tasted, so I started buying that regularly. Marcus has a palate that aligns quite well with mine and I have never had a wine of his that I do not like. The Fools Journey must be the best deal going for 20 bucks, especially for those liking OR PN. That last WR white I did not even share with my wife, but I did give her some local chard, she buys her own Pinot Gris. [cheers.gif]
DennisG

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#268 Post by Richard T r i m p i » April 17th, 2019, 5:41 am

2016 Goodfellow Clover Pinot Gris Reserve
It's not fat. It's not over-ripe. It's not oaky. It's well made. It's pleasant. It's perfectly drinkable and it's Pinot Gris. It's better than most. It'd probably be best for me to taste/drink all Pinot Gris blind...or drink something else. Oregon Pinot Gris prompts a shoulder shrug...with few exceptions (i.e.: Cameron's Ramato).

RT

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#269 Post by Jason T » April 17th, 2019, 2:39 pm

I’d throw Belle Pente’s into the mix too. Have to admit I don’t remember the Goodfellow Pinot Gris, though surely I tried it when I tasted with him last fall. Certainly remember the Pinot Boir, Chardonnay and Syrah though....
J@son Tr@ughber

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#270 Post by Richard T r i m p i » April 17th, 2019, 4:30 pm

Jason T wrote:
April 17th, 2019, 2:39 pm
I’d throw Belle Pente’s into the mix too. Have to admit I don’t remember the Goodfellow Pinot Gris, though surely I tried it when I tasted with him last fall. Certainly remember the Pinot Boir, Chardonnay and Syrah though....
Well....that triggered a memory cell. Brian shared a 1992 or 1993 (can't remember exactly) a few years ago and it was outstanding. I believe it was the first wine he ever made. Yes, Belle Pente can do right by Pinot Gris, as can PGC. But the mountain of mediocrity is overwhelming. YMMV.

RT

Mattstolz

#271 Post by Mattstolz » April 17th, 2019, 5:38 pm

we had a tasting with the Goodfellow crew the other morning. Such a great time. so accommodating and knowledgable, and all the wines we had were so delicious. The lineup was awesome!

2017 (I think) Whistling Ridge Blanc blend
2016 Goodfellow Durant Chardonnay
2016 Richards Chardonnay
2016 Fir Crest Pinot
2016 Durant Pinot
2016 Whistling Ridge Pinot
2016 Whistling Ridge Heritage Pinot #7
2015 Heritage Pinot #4

We loved all of the wines, but especially the ones from Whistling Ridge. the blanc blend is such a steal! We ended up leaving with all three whistling ridge pinots we tasted. Thank you so much to both of you for hosting us Marcus!

DurstinS

#272 Post by DurstinS » April 17th, 2019, 7:28 pm

Richard T r i m p i wrote:
April 17th, 2019, 5:41 am
Oregon Pinot Gris prompts a shoulder shrug...with few exceptions (i.e.: Cameron's Ramato).

RT
Have you checked out Fossil & Fawn’s Gris? They do the unfiltered extended skin contact thing and it’s pretty good. I preferred the version a couple of years ago—it is more red than orange this last vintage, and I find PG gets mawkish.

Vincent’s latest PG is red too though and is really akin to a fresh Gamay. Excellent sunny spring day fare!
D u r s t i n S e l f r i d g e

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#273 Post by Richard T r i m p i » April 18th, 2019, 5:13 am

Don't know Fossil & Fawn. There're so many tiny OR producers that it's very hard to keep up unless you're local. Pinot Gris can be done well but it requires effort...and probably a little added expense and the results can be good (noting that so many are neutral at best). The typical style is never revelatory IMHO. Extended skin contact can create wines that are enjoyable, novel and interesting...and not something I've been tempted to drink regularly. Despite its abundance and history (50+ years) in the WV, Pinot Gris never approaches the heights of OR Chard, IMHO.

RT

rfelthoven

#274 Post by rfelthoven » April 18th, 2019, 7:49 am

One of the more interesting and tasty wines I've had in the past year is Vincent's pinot gris noir. It's got way amped up gris flavor but dry and with a nice textural component.
Ron

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#275 Post by Rick Allen » April 18th, 2019, 8:56 am

Pinot Gris gets treated as a second-class citizen from winemaking perspective - just like Chardonnay used to get treated. The harvest is fit in around when the Pinot Noir needs to be picked and the fact that you need to press the juice slows things down. Most that I've tasted are flabby and insipid. Marcus does better with the grape than most. I think he pays more attention to acids when making picking decisions.

On another note, Megan dropped off a bottle of the freshly bottled 2017 Willamette Valley Chardonnay yesterday. This is is really good. Crisp, great mouthfeel, lemons, green apple, the oak is well in the background, a little reduction, and a very nice finish. I suspect it will be around $20/bottle, and at that price, it's a steal. If this is the entry level stuff, I'm going to be all-in on higher end Goodfellow Chardonnays!

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#276 Post by James Lyon » April 18th, 2019, 9:02 am

Anderson Family is another producer that makes an elevated Oregon Pinot Gris.

Richard, Pinot Gris and PGC? I wasn't aware of Patty Green producing a Pinot Gris. Perhaps a long time ago or maybe thinking about PGC's Sauvignon Blanc?

James

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#277 Post by Richard T r i m p i » April 18th, 2019, 9:16 am

Rick Allen wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 8:56 am
Pinot Gris gets treated as a second-class citizen from winemaking perspective - just like Chardonnay used to get treated.
True. Burgundy Grand Crus are widely recognized as the pinnacle of Chardonnay, but there're terrific examples all over the globe. Burgundy has set a high bar. OR is producing some really outstanding options. Pinot Gris?...the best of them are dessert wines IMHO, like Zind-Humbrecht SGN. Great dry Pinot Gris? I'm sure I'd enjoy the Vincent alternative and a number of other "special cuvees" (Radikon comes to mind). Is there a gold standard? You can't rule out a higher calling as a future possibility, but the odds are long.

And yes, I've been excited about Marcus's 2017s since he first posted about them!

RT

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#278 Post by Richard T r i m p i » April 18th, 2019, 9:29 am

James Lyon wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 9:02 am
Richard, Pinot Gris and PGC? I wasn't aware of Patty Green producing a Pinot Gris. Perhaps a long time ago or maybe thinking about PGC's Sauvignon Blanc?
James
Yes, likely a faulty memory here. Jim Anderson is allergic to Pinot Gris. Did they play with it early in the 2000s? I'm familiar with their Sauv Blanc, which is always solid. They dabbled in Chard years ago (interesting story) abandoned it and recently returned to it.

RT

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#279 Post by Sean_S » May 2nd, 2019, 10:37 pm

• 2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Chardonnay - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (5/2/2019)
    Pobega'd from the UPS truck not long after lunch. Afternoon Delight

Wine is bright light yellow in the glass.

Day1. 1st glass room temp, then 2nd glass chilled. Hints of flint, minerals, shells, and citrus on the nose. The Palate is lemony, and granny smith apple, minerality, and some almost savory with hints of coffee with medium rich mouthfeel which lingers with the quite long finish. Bracing acid throughout this wine.

Day2. Flint and minerals still there on the nose but the nose has opened up quite a bit. Same on the palate. A bit rounder with more fruit and softer acid. Still that long finish. Starting to open up but its tight.

2017 appears a cooler more chiseled vintage. It's seemingly leaner and more linear than 2016, 2015, & 2014. This wine is super young and needs some time in bottle. Although this is the value Cuvee bottling, this wine has plenty of structure for the next five years. I've had a '16 and '15 recently, and I think they are drinking better at the moment, but this 2017 might have the most structure of the bunch.

As Rick Allen said:

"If this is the entry level stuff, I'm going to be all-in on higher end Goodfellow Chardonnays!"

Can't wait to see what the Richards, Durant and the new offering tastes like. Top QPR as usual.

Vineyards: Whistling Ridge, Durant Vineyard
    Elevage: 20 months, new and neutral French Oak Puncheons and Fondues.
    440 Cases - Dry Farmed
Last edited by Sean_S on May 3rd, 2019, 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#280 Post by Sean_S » May 2nd, 2019, 10:46 pm

Marcus also mentioned of a new "Dundee Hills" bottling. I won't cut and paste his description without permission but it sounds like its released and at the distribution center now. I was too excited about the WV to remember to inquire about the price. Need to sample some of that as well. It was a good day [cheers.gif] . 3.5 cases of Oregon goodness delivered in the past few days and a case from Avalon with some more X-Novo due tomorrow. There was even some Baudry, Prum, Keller mixed in there... Loving Vinopolis and Avalon. Liner and Elsen too... The first two let me accumulate orders and ship cases when I ask for cheap. Its less than CA Sales tax...

champagne.gif

Sean

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#281 Post by Bob Hughes » May 4th, 2019, 3:38 pm

I opened the 2013 Fool's Journey today. Not bad, with the caveat that I'm not the biggest Syrah fan. Unless it's Chave!

This still feels like it has time in front of it.

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#282 Post by Sean_S » May 4th, 2019, 5:00 pm

Bob Hughes wrote:
May 4th, 2019, 3:38 pm
I opened the 2013 Fool's Journey today. Not bad, with the caveat that I'm not the biggest Syrah fan. Unless it's Chave!

This still feels like it has time in front of it.
That wine is so light and delicate I don't think I would guess it syrah blinded. Reminds me more of pinot. Certainly a tart anf AFWE syrah.

Haven't popped the 2014 or 2015 yet.

Sean

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#283 Post by Sean_S » May 7th, 2019, 10:24 pm

Spring Selections from Goodfellow:

A couple of new wines being released. Dundee Hills Chardonnay, Ribbon Ridge Pinot, 2015 Syrah Reserve... Can't wait to try all of these.

Marcus, Why did the 2016 Whistling Ridge Blancs get an extra year in bottle. I've already drank more than a few of the 2017's?????

2016 Whistling Ridge Blanc - We gave this wine an extra year in bottle before releasing it earlier this spring. It's yet another in a string of beautiful wines, and is perhaps the most purely delicious wine we make. Smoke, yuzu, and stonefruits. Coiled and electric without being aggressive, this is juicy and refreshing. Perfect for a summer afternoon. 200 cases made, drink now to 2028. $22/ $18 wine club price

2017 Clover, Reserve Pinot Gris - 100% Whistling Ridge Fruit, this wine was just bottled after 20 months on the lees in Acacia Foudre. Golden fruit, hay, oyster shell, and apple blossom. Fantastic texture, silky clean, perfect for medium weight fish dishes, lighter pastas, and summer salads. 178 cases made, drink now to 2022. $20/ $16 wine club price

2017 Willamette Valley Chardonnay - This is simply a delicious, top notch wine from two incredible Chardonnay sites in the valley, Durant vineyard and Whistling Ridge vineyard. The value in this bottle is incredible, lovely now and very capable of aging into an absolutely stunning wine in 3-5 years. Lime zest, French toast (with nutmeg), brioche, fresh melon, and baked apples, layered and tranquilly golden in the nose. Light bodied, silky, very classy orchard fruit, with length, acidity, and drive finishing with kiwi and citrus. 480 cases made, drink now to 2025. $24/ $19 wine club price

2017 Dundee Hills Chardonnay - A new bottling for us, this wine is produced entirely with fruit from the Durant Vineyard. The majority of the barrels are from a 20 year old planting just above the midpoint of the hill. The block is East facing, taking it's cues from the morning sun, the gentle impact of volcanic basalt soils, and the cool nights we were gifted with in 2017. Apples, riverstones, cut hay, earthy green tea, and cool forest moss. Water lilies and iris root. Back to baked apples...and in the palate, warm spice, apple tart, stones, and good linear acidity. This wine doesn't lack for fruit, yet the flavors of the land force themselves to the front. 113 cases made, drink now to 2027 (I am really enjoying the Chardonnays with a couple of years in bottle) $28/ $22 wine club price

2016 Richard's Cuvee, Whistling Ridge Vineyard Chardonnay - Four clones co-planted in one acre, at arguably one of the very best sites for Chardonnay in Oregon. This is a special wine in most years and 2016 is no exception. Aged in used, larger 820 liter foudres for a finer interaction of barrel and wine, this is light to medium bodied, with energy and drive. Saline at first, with tinges of smoke, restrained stone fruit and fresh apple butter. I imagine this wine is like a conversation with the author Gore Vidal, nothing loud but ever so much to say. 140 cases made, with the exception of what we have held for wine club & library this is sold out. Drink 2020-2028. $45/ $36 wine club price

2016 Ribbon Ridge Pinot Noir -100% from barrels of Whistling Ridge that didn't quite make the vineyard designate, and were too good for the Willamette Valley. Black tea, pure red fruit (strawberry, pomegranate, and sweet cherry), exotic spices, with lively acidity and juiciness.This wine is another side of the Whistling Ridge expression, perfect for a range of foods, from fowl of all types, pork, meatier fish, and most game. 226 cases made, drink now to 2035. $30/ $24 wine club price

2016 Heritage No. 7, Whistling Ridge Vineyard Pinot Noir - Even amongst the overwhelming quality of the 2016 vintage, this wine is something truly special. Crunchy red fruits, the classic red currant of Whistling Ridge, perfumed lilac and alpine black strawberry. Thoughtful, quietly complex, black and aged green tea, darker wild forest fruit, warm polished olive wood, and the hint of thorn and bramble. Sourced from the Beloved Acre of Whistling Ridge, the first vines to catch the wind coming in from the North. $70/ $50 wine club price

2015 Deux Vert Vineyard Syrah Reserve - Co-fermented with 5% Viognier. Violets and thyme, the most approachable and delicious vintage of this wine to date, although the structure will still allow 10+ of cellar potential. This is the first and only year that we have pulled out a reserve selection from the Syrah. Dark fruit but still maintaining its delicious freshness; blackberry, mulberry, pure. The generosity of the vintage was impressive, and this wine has the weight and feel of the Northern Rhone. $35/ $28 wine club price

Scott Tallman

#284 Post by Scott Tallman » May 8th, 2019, 10:21 am

Sean_S wrote:
May 2nd, 2019, 10:37 pm
  • 2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Chardonnay - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (5/2/2019)
    Pobega'd from the UPS truck not long after lunch. Afternoon Delight

Wine is bright light yellow in the glass.

Day1. 1st glass room temp, then 2nd glass chilled. Hints of flint, minerals, shells, and citrus on the nose. The Palate is lemony, and granny smith apple, minerality, and some almost savory with hints of coffee with medium rich mouthfeel which lingers with the quite long finish. Bracing acid throughout this wine.

Day2. Flint and minerals still there on the nose but the nose has opened up quite a bit. Same on the palate. A bit rounder with more fruit and softer acid. Still that long finish. Starting to open up but its tight.

2017 appears a cooler more chiseled vintage. It's seemingly leaner and more linear than 2016, 2015, & 2014. This wine is super young and needs some time in bottle. Although this is the value Cuvee bottling, this wine has plenty of structure for the next five years. I've had a '16 and '15 recently, and I think they are drinking better at the moment, but this 2017 might have the most structure of the bunch.

As Rick Allen said:

"If this is the entry level stuff, I'm going to be all-in on higher end Goodfellow Chardonnays!"

Can't wait to see what the Richards, Durant and the new offering tastes like. Top QPR as usual.

Vineyards: Whistling Ridge, Durant Vineyard
    Elevage: 20 months, new and neutral French Oak Puncheons and Fondues.
    440 Cases - Dry Farmed
Marcus told me he thought the 2017 Richard’s was his best Chardonnay yet. Plan your purchases accordingly.
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#285 Post by Sean_S » May 11th, 2019, 2:55 pm

Scott Tallman wrote:
May 8th, 2019, 10:21 am
Marcus told me he thought the 2017 Richard’s was his best Chardonnay yet. Plan your purchases accordingly.
Exciting!!! Additionally, Andy and Marcus at Avalon are saying the 2017 Cameron Dundee Hills is another stellar example. Just ordered my stash.

really stoked try the new goodfellow Ribbon Ridge Chardonnay.

Sean

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#286 Post by dsGriswold » May 11th, 2019, 8:59 pm

• 2013 Matello Pinot Noir - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (5/10/2019)
    Light ruby with some light funk on opening. Lightly tart medium fruit and body
DennisG

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#287 Post by Mike Evans » May 12th, 2019, 5:57 am

A 2008 Matello Bishop Creek PN last night was corked.

rfelthoven

#288 Post by rfelthoven » May 12th, 2019, 3:13 pm

2010 Matello Durant Pinot noir. In a really lovely spot. Black cherries, tilled soil, spice and slightest hint of caramel. Texture is still somewhat lively but resolved. Can’t see a better time to enjoy.
Ron

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#289 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » May 12th, 2019, 5:18 pm

Mike Evans wrote:
May 12th, 2019, 5:57 am
Shoot! I will see if I can dig out another bottle to replace the corked one. If I don’t, We can either refund you or exchange a different library bottle for you.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#290 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » May 12th, 2019, 5:19 pm

rfelthoven wrote:
May 12th, 2019, 3:13 pm
2010 Matello Durant Pinot noir. In a really lovely spot. Black cherries, tilled soil, spice and slightest hint of caramel. Texture is still somewhat lively but resolved. Can’t see a better time to enjoy.
2010s seem to be in a great window right now.
Winemaker & Owner

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#291 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » May 12th, 2019, 5:21 pm

Sean_S wrote:
May 7th, 2019, 10:24 pm
Spring Selections from Goodfellow:

A couple of new wines being released. Dundee Hills Chardonnay, Ribbon Ridge Pinot, 2015 Syrah Reserve... Can't wait to try all of these.

Marcus, Why did the 2016 Whistling Ridge Blancs get an extra year in bottle. I've already drank more than a few of the 2017's?????

the 2016 was a little backwards at first. It just really wanted more time, and 2017 was beautiful upfront.

2016 Whistling Ridge Blanc - We gave this wine an extra year in bottle before releasing it earlier this spring. It's yet another in a string of beautiful wines, and is perhaps the most purely delicious wine we make. Smoke, yuzu, and stonefruits. Coiled and electric without being aggressive, this is juicy and refreshing. Perfect for a summer afternoon. 200 cases made, drink now to 2028. $22/ $18 wine club price

2017 Clover, Reserve Pinot Gris - 100% Whistling Ridge Fruit, this wine was just bottled after 20 months on the lees in Acacia Foudre. Golden fruit, hay, oyster shell, and apple blossom. Fantastic texture, silky clean, perfect for medium weight fish dishes, lighter pastas, and summer salads. 178 cases made, drink now to 2022. $20/ $16 wine club price

2017 Willamette Valley Chardonnay - This is simply a delicious, top notch wine from two incredible Chardonnay sites in the valley, Durant vineyard and Whistling Ridge vineyard. The value in this bottle is incredible, lovely now and very capable of aging into an absolutely stunning wine in 3-5 years. Lime zest, French toast (with nutmeg), brioche, fresh melon, and baked apples, layered and tranquilly golden in the nose. Light bodied, silky, very classy orchard fruit, with length, acidity, and drive finishing with kiwi and citrus. 480 cases made, drink now to 2025. $24/ $19 wine club price

2017 Dundee Hills Chardonnay - A new bottling for us, this wine is produced entirely with fruit from the Durant Vineyard. The majority of the barrels are from a 20 year old planting just above the midpoint of the hill. The block is East facing, taking it's cues from the morning sun, the gentle impact of volcanic basalt soils, and the cool nights we were gifted with in 2017. Apples, riverstones, cut hay, earthy green tea, and cool forest moss. Water lilies and iris root. Back to baked apples...and in the palate, warm spice, apple tart, stones, and good linear acidity. This wine doesn't lack for fruit, yet the flavors of the land force themselves to the front. 113 cases made, drink now to 2027 (I am really enjoying the Chardonnays with a couple of years in bottle) $28/ $22 wine club price

2016 Richard's Cuvee, Whistling Ridge Vineyard Chardonnay - Four clones co-planted in one acre, at arguably one of the very best sites for Chardonnay in Oregon. This is a special wine in most years and 2016 is no exception. Aged in used, larger 820 liter foudres for a finer interaction of barrel and wine, this is light to medium bodied, with energy and drive. Saline at first, with tinges of smoke, restrained stone fruit and fresh apple butter. I imagine this wine is like a conversation with the author Gore Vidal, nothing loud but ever so much to say. 140 cases made, with the exception of what we have held for wine club & library this is sold out. Drink 2020-2028. $45/ $36 wine club price

2016 Ribbon Ridge Pinot Noir -100% from barrels of Whistling Ridge that didn't quite make the vineyard designate, and were too good for the Willamette Valley. Black tea, pure red fruit (strawberry, pomegranate, and sweet cherry), exotic spices, with lively acidity and juiciness.This wine is another side of the Whistling Ridge expression, perfect for a range of foods, from fowl of all types, pork, meatier fish, and most game. 226 cases made, drink now to 2035. $30/ $24 wine club price

2016 Heritage No. 7, Whistling Ridge Vineyard Pinot Noir - Even amongst the overwhelming quality of the 2016 vintage, this wine is something truly special. Crunchy red fruits, the classic red currant of Whistling Ridge, perfumed lilac and alpine black strawberry. Thoughtful, quietly complex, black and aged green tea, darker wild forest fruit, warm polished olive wood, and the hint of thorn and bramble. Sourced from the Beloved Acre of Whistling Ridge, the first vines to catch the wind coming in from the North. $70/ $50 wine club price

2015 Deux Vert Vineyard Syrah Reserve - Co-fermented with 5% Viognier. Violets and thyme, the most approachable and delicious vintage of this wine to date, although the structure will still allow 10+ of cellar potential. This is the first and only year that we have pulled out a reserve selection from the Syrah. Dark fruit but still maintaining its delicious freshness; blackberry, mulberry, pure. The generosity of the vintage was impressive, and this wine has the weight and feel of the Northern Rhone. $35/ $28 wine club price
Winemaker & Owner

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#292 Post by Mike Evans » May 12th, 2019, 8:17 pm

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
May 12th, 2019, 5:18 pm
Mike Evans wrote:
Shoot! I will see if I can dig out another bottle to replace the corked one. If I don’t, We can either refund you or exchange a different library bottle for you.
Sounds good, thanks! I really like your wines, so I’d rather have a replacement of some sort (even if it is a current release) than a refund if that works.

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#293 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » May 13th, 2019, 11:17 pm

Mike Evans wrote:
May 12th, 2019, 8:17 pm
Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
May 12th, 2019, 5:18 pm
Mike Evans wrote:
Sounds good, thanks! I really like your wines, so I’d rather have a replacement of some sort (even if it is a current release) than a refund if that works.
Absolutely! Mike will you PM me your address to see if we can get a replacement out to you before the windows completely close?
Winemaker & Owner

Travis Fantz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#294 Post by Travis Fantz » May 14th, 2019, 11:06 am

Marcus,
I cannot see what it means to be a wine club member. If I get that email am I a member? The Whistling Ridge has always been my favorite vineyard you used.

Megan Joy

#295 Post by Megan Joy » May 14th, 2019, 4:14 pm

If its alright, I'll chime in here: Goodfellow does have both a wine club and a mailing list. In both places we try to take care of people who buy directly from us, the format is just a little different. (Travis you are on the mailing list, but not currently signed up for the wine club).

Wine Club members sign up to receive two 6-pack shipments, one each in fall and the spring. Although we have gone to a menu format, where members can select what they would like to receive, if we don't hear back they are still sent a pre-selected shipment.
Mailing List is sent offers at specific times as well(most recently with our Spring Equinox offer), we just don't send anything out or charge your card unless specifically requested. Since there are seasonal pre-selected 6-pack shipments with wine club, sometimes the offers and timing is a little different.

Currently we are working on an all-Chardonnay Mailing List offer, that will cover at least the '17 Chardonnays that Sean listed, as well as possibly something more. Our spring bottling did not exactly line up with shipping windows for much of the country, so for most folks these will not ship until the fall (though if some of you would like to fill out your Berserker Cuvee order with '17 Chardonnays, please do let us know.)
ITB
Temperance Hill Vineyard

Travis Fantz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#296 Post by Travis Fantz » May 14th, 2019, 9:10 pm

Megan
I’ll email you guys tomorrow.
I’ve stayed away from clubs, but if I can pick from a menu of wines I will be nothing but happy. I was suppose to meet up with Marcus to get a six pack I have pending anyways.

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#297 Post by Jason T » May 15th, 2019, 5:28 am

Travis Fantz wrote:
May 14th, 2019, 9:10 pm
Megan
I’ll email you guys tomorrow.
I’ve stayed away from clubs, but if I can pick from a menu of wines I will be nothing but happy. I was suppose to meet up with Marcus to get a six pack I have pending anyways.
Same here. And thanks Megan for the explanation of the difference between the list and the club.
J@son Tr@ughber

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#298 Post by Richard T r i m p i » May 27th, 2019, 7:09 am

Been dabbling with a couple of 2016 Pinots. The 2016 Goodfellow Fircrest left me uninspired. Vintage ripeness and a pretty good wallop of wood. Complete turnaround with the 2016 Goodfellow Heritage #7 Whistling Ridge The wood is supportive and the "woodsy" red fruit is expressive and lively. Excellent acidity and overall balance. A layered and engaging Oregon Pinot to drink now or 10+ years down the road. Thumbs up.

RT

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#299 Post by Sean_S » May 27th, 2019, 7:45 am

• 2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Chardonnay Dundee Hills - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (5/23/2019)
    A kinder and gentler Goodfellow Chardonnay. Not nearly the searing acidity of the other bottlings. The fruit shows well and its ready to drink now... Need to spend some more time with this bottling but impressions after 1 glass are strong. Will update on Day2 when I spend some more time with it.

Day 2: This may be more on the short term drinker side of the spectrum but I feel this certainly improved after being open 36 hours. Tropical Fruit is really coming out (pineapple, melon, ripe apple). Its still rounder and richer than the other offerings. The fruit comes out on the nose, with hints of caramel. The mouthfeel is quite rich with malo, the fruit and the acid all dancing on my tongue. Medium length finish. This is different in style than other Goodfellow Chardonnays. It reminds a bit more of California in style with the ripeness and the richness but stlll plenty of acid to hold the whole wine together. For those concerned about the wood, Its not nearly as prominent as the 2016 Ribbon Ridge bottling. Delicous and another excellent offering from Goodfellow. Just re-upped for a few more bottles.

Sean

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#300 Post by Richard T r i m p i » May 28th, 2019, 3:21 pm

Continuing on, 2016 Goodfellow Heritage #8 Durant Vineyard Pinot Noir: baking spice and mild saddle soap, lots of fruit in the attack combining black cherry and pomegranate. Excellent acidity which propels the midpalate in to a gently rubbing finish. Structurally, it's youthful....elbows and knees. I enjoyed the Cristom-like mild bitterness at the tail end...whole cluster influence? No oak intrusion, no heat, no jammy or over-ripe fruit. Perhaps more of a food wine. Very enjoyable.

RT

Return to “Wine Talk”